Injury Reports........We're Not the Only "Clueless" Ones

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 9, 2009.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is the offseason but we will soon re-enter the "Injury Spin Zone" where things are not what they seem. We, here on the board, are not the only ones miffed and frustrated by the lack of reliable information. Apparently, coaches play games with the system without really worrying about any league consequences in a toothless system. I came across this extensive article from USA TODAY posted the end of 2007.

NFL Injury List Afflicted By Doubts
    Coaches and Fans Can't Tell Who's Really Hurt

Most of us will remember repeatedly tearing our hair out over this situation highlighted in this article:

The many examples presented of different coaches' approaches to "screwing the pooch" have been quite ingenious though equally disingenuous...........oh, and of course, very "entertaining" to follow.

Quoting another source for some older examples of overt abuse (which has not evidently changed much over the years):

2. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Don't the Patriots list 40 guys a week as "probable?"

thunderkyss likes this.
  3. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

It only bugs me when I'm trying to decide who to sit and who to start on my fantasy football team. A couple of years ago I had Brian Westbrook. The Eagles' injury reports on him drove me NUTS!

4. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Non issue for me. Injuries are injuries and everyone's got 'em whether they are listed properly or not. Nobody thought Tom Brady was going to play, you know what I mean? Of course he was listed 'out' but getting bent out of shape over 'how hurt' a guy might be when you're preparing for a team is just kind of...cruel.

5. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Yeah, Tom Brady was always on there with a dodgy shoulder

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Does this mean Yao only has a splinter? :mcnugget:

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yeah, I think he's been on the injury report with that shoulder since the mid-80's.

It's a good thing we were sneaky with the Green injury before that Charger game. Otherwise, they would've hung a 50 burger on us instead of a measly 25 points. :rolleyes:

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

Good thread.

I personally think it's dumb for a team to prepare certain ways for the sake of who is or isn't playing on the opponent's team for that week.

Seems like a lot of wasted time and energy. Shouldn't a team just prepare as if the whole roster, on the opponent's side, is going to play. And be done with it already? LOL.

This is just some people on a coaching staff looking for ways to look smarter than the others (via the doctoring of the doctor's reports), and this is about some teams falling for the ploy and getting caught up in what the injury reports say.

If there's THAT much concern over how a team is listing its players, shouldn't teams distrust the opponent's injury list and just go ahead and prepare for the game as if the best players are going to play? Reminds me of those elaborate home-made contraptions--a bowling ball falls off a phone book, rolls down a track, hits a boot that's swiveling on a rod, and the boot kicks the first dominoe, and the dominoes tumble over and the last dominoe hits the button on the TV remote and it turns on the TV...and the guy is standing there, smiling and so proud of himself. Instead of just using the remote control, the guy fills the entire floor space of his apartment with the contraption!

Only in America!