Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Discussion Thread

Can't you just quote and then change threads and select insert quotes?
Yes. Explained fully in post #331.

Phone, tablet, computer, it all works fine for me.
I do NOT, however, use tapatalk. So I wouldn't even know how that works.

Reactions: JB
So much of the concussion protocol relies on the player being honest. Stroud is out for the 2nd straight week while Lawrence is back to starting after not missing a beat. Something seems off about the whole thing.
From what I have encountered in my own experience, your statement has merit.........and those who have had long concussion rehabs, despite maybe not having detectable signs (examiners' objective findings), have had symptoms (player's subjective reports) that have proven disabling enough for the player knowing that he is not able to effectively play.................light sensitivity, sound sensitivity, headaches, dizziness, etc.

Finally, just like symptoms following a concussion can come and go (sometimes in the space of hours or minutes), so can objective signs. So if the player is not entirely honest, physical exam conclusions even by a neurologist may not be valid, since those objective signs may not be present at the exact times of examination. And realistically, the Protocol, player, team, physicians all have incentives to clear the player to be able to return as quickly as possible...........many more times too quickly than too late in the process.

Jimmie Ward with a quad injury..............lower extremity injuries are very common coming off of concussions..........especially after coming back from a concussion too soon..........Ward was concussed just last week with only 1 full practice..............a walk-thru practice......
No discussion allowed here right? That means you gotta keep the commentary in the discussion thread. Lucky said so, right?

Lmao.

I know… delete away.

:)

A question for Doc. I know that once a person gets a concussion it's easy to get another one. Does it always stay easy or does it eventually get back to normal, and if so, how long might that take?
Even if you do recover and walk away with no long-term symptoms, it isn't without consequence: You will always be more susceptible to another concussion than someone who hasn't had one, particularly during the first year after your concussion.

Have we ever seen a team with so many injuries at so many different positions I know we have been snake bitten with injuries at the QB position which was crazy, but this year it is all over? Seriously,

giphy.gif

I don't want CJ back playing with a concussion, even if it means not making the playoffs this year. I'm more interested in CJ's recovery than I am the last two games of the year.

While the experience of a playoff game would be nice, we aren't going to last long in the playoffs this year. Another good draft and a few nice offseason signings and this team can be very dangerous next year.

Tart is a completely different body type, skill set, and position. He’s a run stuffing tackle. Derek Barnett is a closer match. He’s a pretty good player in his own right, but he isn’t Will Anderson and if 52 is also out with 51…it’s a major problem.
Don’t care. We still need him out there. I was extremely disappointed he didn’t play last week. Yes I know he was only signed that week but I don’t care. We only had -one- guy on that line who is a force and he went down in the 1st quarter (Greenard). Tart would have made a difference.

Plus… I’m going to think that Henry is going to have a chip on his shoulder after the last game we played. Tart is the guy we need to help stop him.

I have found that the Browns did not have a contact practice today. This is not listed on the Browns Injury Report. The report tries to reflect where a player would fall in a normally scheduled padded practice I have not been able to yet determine if the Texans also had a "phantom" practice.

Remember that during the regular season, padded practices for all players shall be limited to a total of 14, 11 of which must be held during the first 11 weeks of the regular season, and 3 of which must be held during the remaining 6 weeks of the regular season. [Each team if they choose, may hold 2 padded practices during the same week during 1 week of the regular season, provided that such week falls within the first 11 weeks of the regular season.]

There are only 3 weeks remaining............and the Texans have not yet identified a phantom practice this year.:mcnugget:
Do they have to declare when it's a phantom practice?

I found the answer to your question. I replied to you that in the past I've seen those "phantom" practices identified. Here is the rule>>>>>>>>

A team that conducts a walk-through instead of a regular practice is still required to submit a list of injured players in its Practice Report if the walk-through occurs on a normal reporting day. The same requirement applies to Practice Report days on which players have a day off. A player should be placed in the appropriate practice participation category based on the level of participation he would have had in a regular practice. The report should indicate that the selected category is an estimation because the team conducted a walk-through practice or gave its players a day off that day.
SOURCE>>>>>2017 Personnel (Injury) Report Policy

Demeco said that Stroud in Stage 4 of the Protocol. That's put some very fancy stepping for someone who was reported to still having symptoms 10 AM this morning. This is making me more than a little nervous.

Yep. Probably moving to quickly:

Head coach DeMeco Ryans says C.J. Stroud still has one more phase to pass before being eligible to return

DE rotation looks incredibly thin with Anderson not looking ready to return, I get the impression Jerry Hughes has played through his last productive years with us and she is catching up now, Barnett a new addition to the team, and Sanders was a healthy scratch several weeks running but is the only depth available. Guessing PS squad will have to be activated for game day.

Interesting that Pitre has been bumped off his starter status by 2 in season signings. Tough sophomore season from him, and while it looks like he has so much to offer, you’d think not doing well with DeMeco’s staff is a really bad sign. These are good coaches first and foremost.

I mean look at safety alone. Stewart, Arnold, Ward, and Murray all on IR. Don’t even get me started on the offensive line. Then corner, lb, dline, and wr all taking a beating. Even Te. I hope the football gods see this and decide to cut us a break in 24. This year has been the worst in my memory for injuries. Anyone remember a worst year for injury?

I've now found out that Stroud has suffered previous concussions in the past.

I don't want to sound naive here, but hasn't almost EVERYBODY suffered at least a few of these? I mean, when I was a kid, we used to pass it off as "getting our bell rung" and no one thought it was a big thing.

I remember playing football in our yards and on the street (or at the Dad's Club on Lou Ellen) and having our heads either hit other people's heads or knees or elbows or the ground, and having the sharp pain and possible loss of consciousness. Sometimes we'd get in fist fights, or just be boxing with boxing gloves, and get knocked out.

When I was six, a woman was carrying me to my grandmother's house in a thunderstorm, slipped on a wet step, fell, and slammed the back of my head against the corner of a brick wall. I think I momentarily lost consciousness there. The pain in my head was terribad.

I remember riding a mini-bike when I was like 13 or 14, the brake flying off going over a small mound, losing control, slamming chin first into a telephone pole, and waking up in never-never land, with a headache and a bleeding wound on my chin.

So, I'm pretty sure I've had several concussions of varying degrees.

I don't think I was a kid who was particularly prone to doing crazy isht. I'm sure a lot of the people I knew had a lot more instances of concussions than I did.

So is it really a surprise to find out that professional athletes have suffered lots of concussions when they were younger? I would expect all of them to have experienced at least a few.

I don't want to sound naive here, but hasn't almost EVERYBODY suffered at least a few of these? I mean, when I was a kid, we used to pass it off as "getting our bell rung" and no one thought it was a big thing.................

................So, I'm pretty sure I've had several concussions of varying degrees.

I don't think I was a kid who was particularly prone to doing crazy isht. I'm sure a lot of the people I knew had a lot more instances of concussions than I did.

The severity of his concussion (fencer's pose) is easily explained by not only the hit to the head, but also the previous history of concussions. The tendency is that concussion severity is progressive to the number of concussion sustained.

Because the brain is more vulnerable to injury after sustaining a concussion, it may take significantly less force to cause a future concussion, at least up to 2 years. Also, future concussions may result in more severe and longer-lasting symptoms.
Each subsequent concussion usually results in a longer recovery period. Although you may feel better quickly, cognitive problems and symptoms such as balance issues and trouble focusing can last for a long time.

Everyone should read this 2023 article>>>>>>>>>>

Three or more concussions linked with worse brain function in later life

Brain healthHealthMedical SciencesResearch

Experiencing three or more concussions is linked with worsened brain function in later life, according to new research.

The study – the largest of its kind - also found having just one moderate-to-severe concussion, or traumatic brain injury (TBI), can have a long-term impact on brain function, including memory.

Led by teams at the University of Oxford and the University of Exeter, the research included data from more than 15,000 participants of the online PROTECT study, who were aged between 50 and 90 and based in the UK.

They reported the severity and frequency of concussions they had experienced throughout their lives, and completed annual, computerised tests for brain function.

Published in the Journal of Neurotrauma, the paper found that people who reported three or more concussions had significantly worse cognitive function, which got successively worse with each subsequent concussion after that. Attention and completion of complex tasks were particularly affected.

Researchers say people who have had concussions should be warned of the dangers of continuing high-risk sport or work.

Lead investigator Dr Vanessa Raymont from the University of Oxford's Department of Psychiatry said: 'We know that head injuries are a major risk factor for dementia, and this large-scale study gives the greatest detail to date on a stark finding - the more times you injure your brain in life, the worse your brain function could be as you age.

'Our research indicates that people who have experienced three or more even mild episodes of concussion should be counselled on whether to continue high-risk activities. We should also encourage organisations operating in areas where head impact is more likely to consider how they can protect their athletes or employees.'

The team found that participants who reported three episodes of even mild concussion throughout their lives had significantly worse attention and ability to complete complex tasks. Those who had four or more mild concussion episodes also showed worsened processing speed and working memory. Each additional reported concussion was linked to progressively worse cognitive function.

Furthermore, the researchers found that reporting even one moderate-to-severe concussion was associated with worsened attention, completion of complex tasks and processing speed capacity.

In the online PROTECT study, participants share detailed lifestyle information, and complete a suite of cognitive tests every year, for up to 25 years. This rich mine of data helps researchers understand how the brain ages, and the factors involved in maintaining a healthier brain in later life.

Dr Helen Brooker, a study co-author from the University of Exeter, said: 'As our population ages, we urgently need new ways to empower people to live healthier lives in later life. This paper highlights the importance of detailed long-term studies like PROTECT in better understating head injuries and the impact to long term cognitive function, particularly as concussion has also been linked to dementia. We’re learning that life events that might seem insignificant, life experiencing a mild concussion, can have an impact on the brain. Our findings indicate that cognitive rehabilitation should focus on key functions such as attention and completion of complex tasks, which we found to be susceptible to long-term damage.'

Dr Susan Kohlhaas, Director of Research at Alzheimer’s Research UK, said: 'Studies like this are so important in unravelling the long-term risks of traumatic brain injury, including their effect on dementia risk. These findings should send a clear message to policy makers and sporting bodies, who need to put robust guidelines in place that reduce risk of head injury as much as possible.'

The PROTECT study is conducted entirely online, and is open to new participants aged 40 and over. The research included collaboration with University of New South Wales, Australia, Kings College London and University College London, UK, Stavanger University Hospital in Norway and Harvard Medical School, in the US.

Last edited:
No followup questions to Stroud saying he's had concussions before this one. Typical lazy Houston media, especially McClain.
They probably didn't think he was going to reveal this in the broadcast............nor would they have wanted him to...........demonstrated by the fact that no one ever brought his history up previously.............or asked followup questions. The team would have known about them you can be sure..........and therefore most likely did the local press. Hush Hush

I don't believe so. I found where in spring of 2022, he received a new protective Ridell helmet. He welcomed the extra safety and was quoted "I don't want to ever suffer from a concussion."
The only game Stroud sat out in 2021 was the Akron game. It was said that CJ was out of the game due to resting his shoulder. He was seen stretching his shoulder on the sideline the week prior vs Tulsa. I went back to watch the Tulsa game on youtube to look for a hit to the head. I didn't see one, but I did see a hit to the right shoulder in the 3rd quarter. I find it difficult to believe (but not impossible) Stroud was left in the game in 2021 with a concussion. I just can't find the evidence.

Reactions: JB
The only game Stroud sat out in 2021 was the Akron game. It was said that CJ was out of the game due to resting his shoulder. He was seen stretching his shoulder on the sideline the week prior vs Tulsa. I went back to watch the Tulsa game on youtube to look for a hit to the head. I didn't see one, but I did see a hit to the right shoulder in the 3rd quarter. I find it difficult to believe (but not impossible) Stroud was left in the game in 2021 with a concussion. I just can't find the evidence.
Stroud's statement implies that up until spring 2022, he didn't suffer a concussion.

Furthermore, in college, the detection of concussions has historically been abysmal. Return to play has been abysmally short. Players have commonly missed no plays after a concussion, missed no practices and missed no games. From personal experience, I can tell you that official college stats relating to concussions are a joke.

College football injury reports are essentially non reported and those sustained in practice are almost non existent unless a player sustains season ending injury..........and even then, the exact injury is seldom released. So if a players suffers a concussion during those periods, the public is unlikely to know.......unless the player himself voluntarily reveals it (much like how Stroud revealed his previous concussions).

This college football study, published online in JAMA Neurology in February 2021, found that over five seasons, 72 percent of concussions and 67 percent of head impact exposure occurred in practice, not game play. Furthermore, nearly half of the concussions and two-thirds of the high-impact hits to the head that the researchers recorded took place during preseason training, which accounts for only one-fifth of the season.

n

Interesting that Pitre has been bumped off his starter status by 2 in season signings. Tough sophomore season from him, and while it looks like he has so much to offer, you’d think not doing well with DeMeco’s staff is a really bad sign. These are good coaches first and foremost.
After being named on the all-rookie team last year, Petre's NFL career was off in the right direction so what happened this year when Demeco came in as the new HC ? Just got in coach's dog-house or what ?

Could it also be possible that he sustained one in practice? I don’t know how hard Ohio State practices. Looked like it was full contact including on QB’s when I striped their field a few years ago.

Back