Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Indy Coach takes knee in 3rd qtr vs NYJ

nut

Veteran
What kind of a scam was that? That jackash singlehandedly gave the keys to the NFL playoffmobile to Coach Crybaby. He probably got paid under the table. The Colts players and fans were not happy campers with a shot at an undefeated season. Shula and those Dolphin guys are popping corks tonite.

What kind of a scam was that? That jackash singlehandedly gave the keys to the NFL playoffmobile to Coach Crybaby. He probably got paid under the table. The Colts players and fans were not happy campers with a shot at an undefeated season. Shula and those Dolphin guys are popping corks tonite.

Well I guess all we can do is hope these things backfire and coaches realize that playing 16 full games better prepares thrier team for the playoffs. I hope New England gives us all they have Sunday. Then when we beat them, and we will, we can hang our heads high. Unless of course we only play 2 quarters and just win by 7. In that case we just suck.

I really am not worried about it. Texans need to win next week and let the chips fall where they fall . If the Texans would have taken care of business early in the season, then they wouldn't be scrambling like cockroaches when the lights come on.

Would I have liked to see the Jets lose today? HECK YEAH!

Would I like the Texans in the playoffs? damn skippy

Texans pull out those games against Indy and it wouldn't matter. If I were an Indy fan, I would rather see PM sit out as well. Who cares about an undefeated regular season? Give me a Superbowl anyday. Ask the Patriots.

Not sure if this is possible or not, but my dream scenario, if cincy lays down for the jets also, is the jets beat cincy in the first round and then eliminates indy in the second. That'll teach em, karma is a biaaatch!

I think this is Polian's call. Players and coaches want to compete.

Dungy would have told him to screw off, but Caldwell doesn't have that kind of juice yet.

Funny that with everyone crying about playoff-bound team's sitting their starters at the end of the season, that may be the exact thing that even gives the Texans a chance to make the playoffs. How many actually think that the Texans would beat the Pats if they Pats had something to play for?

Hasn't this stratigy backfired before? I want to say it happend just a few years ago.

It seems like every season some team has to make this decison. I'm really not sure if there is a right way to do it. I've seen it backfire and I've seen it work. IMHO though, it backfires more than it works. Problem is, if you leave your starter in and he gets hurt in a meaningless game, you WILL be run out of town with a crazy mob wielding pitchforks and torches. Just so you know....incase you ever have to make that tough call.

Not sure if this is possible or not, but my dream scenario, if cincy lays down for the jets also, is the jets beat cincy in the first round and then eliminates indy in the second. That'll teach em, karma is a biaaatch!

If we somehow get eliminated, that's the way I'd love to see it play out. Perfect karma IMHO for giving up a game.

Funny that with everyone crying about playoff-bound team's sitting their starters at the end of the season, that may be the exact thing that even gives the Texans a chance to make the playoffs. How many actually think that the Texans would beat the Pats if they Pats had something to play for?

:texflag: I do

booooo Caldwell...no guts no glory...booooo

Once Peyton is gone the Colts are toast.

How many years does "Mr Just a bit less than Jesus" Manning have left anyways?

booooo Caldwell...no guts no glory...booooo

Once Peyton is gone the Colts are toast.

How many years does "Mr Just a bit less than Jesus" Manniong have left anyways?

Boy, you talk about a team that has NO chance if they lose just one player. They should rename themselves the Indianappolis Peytons.

This Texans team can beat anyone in the NFL when they don't beat themselves. Don't assume they would lose to the Pats 1st stringers.

Sincerly,
Homer

This Texans team can beat anyone in the NFL when they don't beat themselves. Don't assume they would lose to the Pats 1st stringers.

Sincerly,
Homer

IMO it's not being a homer if you believe that the Texans can beat the Patriots on any given Sunday. There's also a good chance they could lose, but the Texans are at the point where I think that we could beat just about anyone if we actually show up for four quarters.

why would the colts wanna play us in the PLayoffs SMart move by them IMO

with that said i doubt the colts would want to play Pittsburg or the pins either

I'll take 3-0 or 4-0 in the playoffs over 16-0 and a playoff loss any day.

The goal is to win a Super Bowl. 16-0 isn't any better than 15-1, 14-2 or 13-3. All 4 of those records basically guarantee you an opportunity to reach the goal.

And even though Painter looked like crap out there today, maybe the experience he gets with the snaps he took today and gets next Sunday, help if something were to happen to Peyton early in their playoff game.

Better to have his feet wet a little bit in a couple of meaningless games than to be taking his first snap in the divisional playoff game.

I hope Indy loses their first playoff game!!! And it would be awfully ironic if the Jets were the team to bounce them out in the divisional round...

You play 2.5 quarters and have a lead against a team that will more than likely go to the playoffs with a win (Bengals probably are gonna play their JV...and if that happens I hope the Jets bounce them as well!!!). This team is a bad matchup for you (top defense and running game), even though you have a lead and a quarter left to play you decide now to sit your starters. Instead of eliminating a potentially dangerous playoff contender outright you decide to rest your starters for a little over a quarter because you're pussified by the prospective undefeated season.

COWARDS!!!

Colts already had an extra bye week...that's called the Bills game. They didn't need to make it harder for the Texans to backdoor their way into the playoffs. Just play that last quarter dammit :-(

I hope Indy loses their first playoff game!!! And it would be awfully ironic if the Jets were the team to bounce them out in the divisional round...

You play 2.5 quarters and have a lead against a team that will more than likely go to the playoffs with a win (Bengals probably are gonna play their JV...and if that happens I hope the Jets bounce them as well!!!).

COWARDS!!!
Will you feel the same way when Bobby Hoying and the Pats JV roll into Reliant next Sunday? Did you feel that way when the Jags JV lost to the Texans in the '07 finale?

Will you feel the same way when Bobby Hoying and the Pats JV roll into Reliant next Sunday? Did you feel that way when the Jags JV lost to the Texans in the '07 finale?

There's a difference between sitting for the finale and resting after already playing 3 quarters of your second to last game. Why not sit them at the half? Why not play through and then sit your starters next week? Why play them almost 3 whole quarters?

Plus Jags in 07 and Pats next week will both be playing the next week. It makes sense to take an "active bye" in that situation.

Considering the Pats are 2-5 in road games this year (and 1-5 if you take away the neutral field win in London against the Bucs), I would say a fair number of folks would actually think that.

There's a difference between sitting for the finale and resting after already playing 3 quarters of your second to last game.
So the answer is "no". I would hope you would be consistent. BTW, the Bengals would play in the wild card round. Why blast them for sitting their starters?

The fact is that the Colts were right to sit Manning. They should have let Painter get the reps in practice and start the game. Same with the Pats next week. A far as a team receiving an advantage by playing against a JV squad, that's the luck of the draw. The Texans will get the same break, no reason for them (or their fans) to biatch about it.

Considering the Pats are 2-5 in road games this year (and 1-5 if you take away the neutral field win in London against the Bucs), I would say a fair number of folks would actually think that.
What's the Texans home record @Reliant this season? Versus winning teams? If the Pats needed this game, they would be favorites. And rightly so.

If the Colts had already lost a game somewhere I would be less inclined to criticize them for laying down against the Jets but they were handling the Jets fairly easily and a perfect season was on the line. I know everybody says that they don't care about that over there but I'm calling bullshit based on the looks on those players faces. They know a perfect season is special particularly after seeing the Patriots finish 16-0 a couple of years ago.

Sure, I get the idea that they don't want anyone hurt in a game they don't think they need but if I'd attended that game I'd be raising hell and wanting my money back. The Colts basically threw the game and they knew that was what they were doing. Anytime I see this happen I don't like it. I didn't enjoy watching the Texans beat Jacksonville in that game you mention. It was unpleasant to watch. I want wins but I'm not so hard up for them that I want to see the opponent just give up. Next week we'll play who they put out there but seeing their backups won't fill me with joy. I think the Texans have just as much chance of beating the Patriots starters as they do the Patriots scrubs.

Either way we're going to play 30 minutes of shut down defense and deadly effective offense before we sit on whatever lead that amounts to. :)

The Colts disgusted me today. It just added to the hate I already carry around for those guys. Titans and Colts, Colts and Titans. The order doesn't matter. I hate both teams more than I ever could manage to hate the Cowboys or Steelers back in the day.

I thought the following quote from Tedy Bruschi (who actually faced this situation himself as part of the Patriots' team) here was interesting:
Here's the reality: Some teams don't just play for championships, they play to be the best there has ever been. Others are just satisfied with doing what's required. The Colts decided that resting is more important than making a run at history. They are telling us that what they have done up to this point in the season is good enough. They are satisfied with home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. 19-0? No big deal. History? Didn't want it.

Even though I can understand why the Colts pulled their starters, particularly Peyton, which was to prevent them from getting injured, and rest them for the playoffs, I still had a big problem with it.

Even though the Colts had 'nothing to play for', the Jets had something to play for. Can anyone convince me that the Jets would have won had the Colts gone all out. Good luck with that! This not only effected the Jets playoff picture, it effected the Texans, and other teams playoff pictures. I feel the Colts had an obligation to put the best team on the field just for that reason, and that reason alone.

Knowing what kind of competitor Manning is.....this one had to be tough to sit there on sideline and watch the lead just go away and lose like that.

I am not a Manning fan...but just looking at his reaction in second half....not sure he was too happy with way game went......

Also, they were showing Dallas Clark too.....who was pulled as well.....

The goal is to win a Super Bowl. 16-0 isn't any better than 15-1, 14-2 or 13-3. All 4 of those records basically guarantee you an opportunity to reach the goal.

And even though Painter looked like crap out there today, maybe the experience he gets with the snaps he took today and gets next Sunday, help if something were to happen to Peyton early in their playoff game.

Better to have his feet wet a little bit in a couple of meaningless games than to be taking his first snap in the divisional playoff game.

I disagree. Turning your nose up at history is a bad move. Hell, if you want to sit the starters for a half, sit them in the first half.

As mad as all the Indy fans are for pulling Pm, emagine how upset they would all be if he got injured in a meaningless game? I remember one year the Oilers had a playoff spot locked up and Moon was in a game against Cinci (playing for no reason) and hit his throwing hand on a defensive players helmet while throwing the ball. It was ugly, the bone was sticking out of his hand. Anyway, all chances of making a deep run in the playoffs were lost right then.

I thought the following quote from Tedy Bruschi (who actually faced this situation himself as part of the Patriots' team) here was interesting:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. If the Colts had 1-2 losses already I'd have been far less critical of their decision. It still wouldn't have set right with me but at least I could agree that they truly had nothing left to play for.

Their fans, who pay their hard earned money to follow the team closely got ripped off yesterday. Sure they might get a ring but we can already be certain of one thing. They won't be mentioned every year like the Dolphins undefeated team or even the Patriots nearly undefeated team. This organization chose not to try and do anything historic even though they were in a position to attempt it.

Burschi had me until he said Manning seemed content being on the sideline. That's not the Manning I saw. He was pissed!

It is obvious the coaches didn't tell the players before hand that the team was taking a knee.

<hand raised> Me

Question for one and all:

Would you reeeeally give a rat's anus about the Colt's undefeated season possibilities if we weren't in the playoff picture?

...for the first time ever?

And another thing; this to the Texans....
I hope the players take away a crucial lesson from this experience.
I hope Kubiak and the staff take this "teaching opportunity" and drill this into his young team's collective brain:
There are NO unimportant games.

Slaton, the Brown brothers, Moats, Dunta... are you listening??
Schaub, DeMeco, Cushing, O.D., and you other "team leader" types... mark this feeling well - this helpless feeling of having to depend on others. Take care of your own business early and you don't need help. I know this is new territory but let this soak in.
let this be a lesson to you:
The game you screw up in Sept. will bite you in Dec.

Last edited:

It's called a double standard - and I think every Texans fans has one :)

Yes we're peeved the Colts sat their starters, but we will all be happy if the Pats do the same :)

I get what you're getting at here...but I disagree. I kept noticing that Peyton and his receivers were off target most of the game, and assuming that they rest the starters next week...that is a TON of momentum to lose between being 14-0 and your first divisional playoff game.

There obviously was quite a bit that team needed to work out and couldn't get done.

Would you reeeeally give a rat's anus about the Colt's undefeated season possibilities if we weren't in the playoff picture?

Yes, I would care about them sitting their starters instead of going for a perfect season. That part has nothing to do with the Texans and everything to do with the game of football. The Colts didn't just let down their fans, they let down every fan of the game and football itself. They let Manning get his record but prohibited the other players from becoming a part of history. Winning the SB may be their goal, but you can't have two goals? I, personally, hope they don't see the Super Bowl this year except on TV. If they do, by any chance, actually win, I think their win will be tainted.

It's called a double standard - and I think every Texans fans has one :)

Yes we're peeved the Colts sat their starters, but we will all be happy if the Pats do the same :)
Not here on either count. I get upset if a team refuses to even TRY to win a game that people have paid good $$ to watch (which is why I hope they go to an 18-game season).

I want the Pats to give us all they've got - lets see where this team stacks up against real competition, now that they think they're "on-track" again.

And another thing; this to the Texans....
I hope the players take away a crucial lesson from this experience.
I hope Kubiak and the staff take this "teaching opportunity" and drill this into his young team's collective brain:
There are NO unimportant games.

Slaton, the Brown brothers, Moats, Dunta... are you listening??
Schaub, DeMeco, Cushing, O.D., and you other "team leader" types... mark this feeling well - this helpless feeling of having to depend on others. Take care of your own business early and you don't need help. I know this is new territory but let this soak in.
let this be a lesson to you:
The game you screw up in Sept. will bite you in Dec.
lol...they should already know that the NFL season is a sprint, not a marathon. If it took till now to learn that lesson they were hopeless from day one.

On the Colts. Part of the benefit of clinching early is resting players or not giving a damn. They owned the 09 regular season so they can do what they want. If we don't like it we should have taken this power away from them with some wins. Same applies to the rest of the league.

History?? What the hell? The 17-0 Dolphins got as many Lombardi trophies that year as the 14-6 New York Giants did 2 years ago.....ONE!!!

The Patriots went for so-called "history" and got nothing. Ask them if they'd rather be 18-1 with no trophy, or 18-1 because they lose that final regular season game but pick up their 4th Lombardi?

I think the Colts, and eventually their fans, would rather have a 2nd Super Bowl victory than go for a 16-0 record and come up short in the playoffs because you lose an important part of your team late in the 4th quarter of a meaningless game. Plus they have the opportunity to get some backups some significant playing time which might be a big help should they have an injury in the playoffs.

They had all they needed to do in the regular season done. Home field throughout was wrapped up. That's what the regular season goal is. That goal was achieved. Now it's on to the ultimate goal...winning the Super Bowl. THAT'S history!

lol...they should already know that the NFL season is a sprint, not a marathon. If it took till now to learn that lesson they were hopeless from day one.

On the Colts. Part of the benefit of clinching early is resting players or not giving a damn. They owned the 09 regular season so they can do what they want. If we don't like it we should have taken this power away from them with some wins. Same applies to the rest of the league.

Putting aside the implications for the Texans as a fan of football I think they should have played out the streak. When you have a chance to make history you should at least try.

Back