Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Importance of this years draft

Holden135

Waterboy
Every draft is of importance but this year i think we really need 4 or 5 really solid selections. I mean guys that will play significant parts atleast by the end of the season. The new car smell of the Texans has worn off and now our franchise is in limbo. We do not have the ability to draw any significant free agents. There are many reasons but of course the top reason is the fact that we are the laughing stock of the league as far as our record is concerned. In order to bring in the big fish in the future we need to produce now. The only way to do that is through the draft. So for all you guys complaining about us not getting any good free agents, its not because we won't pay or put forth the effort, its because we don't have a very marketable team right now as far as bringing in personel. Our best bet to bring in talent is to build a talented YOUNG team that has the potential of becoming a contender for multiple years. I know the Rockets aren't doing good this year (99% because of injuries) but that is what they used to bring in Stromile Swift last year. He was one of the hottest commodities in Free agency and he took less money to come to a team with young superstars (Yao and T-Mac). So i think it is a must that Casserly gives us a great crop of talent this year and Reggie Bush can't be the only one. If he doesn't do it then McNair has to go another rout.

Holden135 said:
Every draft is of importance but this year i think we really need 4 or 5 really solid selections. I mean guys that will play significant parts atleast by the end of the season. The new car smell of the Texans has worn off and now our franchise is in limbo. We do not have the ability to draw any significant free agents. There are many reasons but of course the top reason is the fact that we are the laughing stock of the league as far as our record is concerned. In order to bring in the big fish in the future we need to produce now. The only way to do that is through the draft. So for all you guys complaining about us not getting any good free agents, its not because we won't pay or put forth the effort, its because we don't have a very marketable team right now as far as bringing in personel. Our best bet to bring in talent is to build a talented YOUNG team that has the potential of becoming a contender for multiple years. I know the Rockets aren't doing good this year (99% because of injuries) but that is what they used to bring in Stromile Swift last year. He was one of the hottest commodities in Free agency and he took less money to come to a team with young superstars (Yao and T-Mac). So i think it is a must that Casserly gives us a great crop of talent this year and Reggie Bush can't be the only one. If he doesn't do it then McNair has to go another rout.

I couldn't agree more.We need a couple of good drafts and when we get to the point where we can say we are 1 or 2 players to get over the hump,then we hit the big market FA's.Until then it is a building process.

Agreed. We need to really take our first 2nd and 3rd round draft picks and make noise with ALL of them. Not one can be a bust. We really need this if we plan to do anything this year at all.

fact of the matter is, is that if the texans don't address the O-line they will always be a poor team. It doesn't matter how many guys you bring in that are studs. When Carr has to take 3 step drops and still gets sacked, you have a problem up front. How many teams actually win when your best route is a 5 yard out, or curl or slant. NOBODY. Draft reggie 1st or trade out to a safe position where you can draft D'brick ferguson. If we draft reggie then we need o-line, d-line, and then skill positions. Anybody who has ever played the game knows that you win your games in the trenches. Imagine the team we could have with a solid o-line. Carr wouldn't take the snap and immediately get sacked, Carr could be the next great quarterback in this league but its not fair to ride him out of town b/c he isn't winning. Fact is he is set up to lose without a solid o-line.

well then we will always suck. if he keeps bringing in talent that we can't use b/c our lineman suck then we don't deserve to win and we should win 2 games every year from now on.

Bigt5687 said:
fact of the matter is, is that if the texans don't address the O-line they will always be a poor team. It doesn't matter how many guys you bring in that are studs. When Carr has to take 3 step drops and still gets sacked, you have a problem up front. How many teams actually win when your best route is a 5 yard out, or curl or slant. NOBODY. Draft reggie 1st or trade out to a safe position where you can draft D'brick ferguson. If we draft reggie then we need o-line, d-line, and then skill positions. Anybody who has ever played the game knows that you win your games in the trenches. Imagine the team we could have with a solid o-line. Carr wouldn't take the snap and immediately get sacked, Carr could be the next great quarterback in this league but its not fair to ride him out of town b/c he isn't winning. Fact is he is set up to lose without a solid o-line.

I completely agree. If your o-line gives your qb all day to throw, you don't really need that much talent at the wr position. In the nfl a db can guard a wr for a limited period of time. The key is to give your qb that much time to hit the wr.

agreed ... this is a huge time for this organization ..... if the draft goes well (at least as this board see it), Kubiak will get the credit .... if it doesn't (at least as this board see it), Casserly will get the blame ...

Even without trading our #1, we will virtually have 5 first day picks. We of course have 2 3rd round picks and our 4th is #1 in that round, in other words
1 pick removed from being in the 3rd round or first day. So we have the picks,
its just a question of how wisely we use them.

Back