Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Im kind of realizing.

Texas

Veteran
Im starting to see that we started nicely in the Free Agency but everyday i wake up hoping to see a new FA signed that impresses me on the texans homepage and every day I am dissapointed. Then I go to NFL.com and read about how other teams sign these key players and yet we are still sitting back not making any real noise. We need to grab a FS FAST. Hope is now gone. We need to grab a OL. We need a #2 WR. I mean what is really going on now. I think were starting to lose the footing that we had first grasped.

we'll get offensive lineman in the draft, maybe a good receiver, as far as free agents go the front office believes you build your team through the draft not saying you can't get anybody good from free agency, but the holes we're gonna fill will probably come through the draft. Anybody know how many picks we got in the first 4 rounds. i thought it was like 5 but im not sure.

As long as we're the worst team in the league, top-flight FA's aren't gonna come here. Our only hope to get stud players at this point is to draft them. Free agents will come after W's (and $$$.)

You know what I'm starting to realize? I'm starting to realize that in many cases Gary Kubiak & Co. have a very different idea of who the "keepers" are than I do. It's not a big deal and I'm obviously going to say that they should know what they're doing but I'm just a little surprised this year to see people leave who I thought we should be making an effort to keep (Milford Brown, Jabbar Gaffney) and to see the Texans pursuing guys in areas where I thought our needs were "less" (Backup QB, Fullback). Mostly I'm surprised at how little we seem to be doing about our offensive line.

Are they morons? I don't think so. I think I probably don't know as much about what I'm looking at as I think.

Kubes has evaluated the O line and he is addressing the problem areas of that evaluation. I see tremendous change coming even with the same old guys.

I think bringing in Mike SHerman will improve our O-Line a lot and brining in a young guy from the draft will help

Wish I could agree, Joe, but I think O-line has to see some new faces. This new regime does deserve the benefit of the doubt until their product proves, on the field, that the Texans aren't moving forward. For example, In a rare moment of agreement with John McClain, I noticed that this week he outlined just how many great QBs Kubiak and Sherman have been around during the past couple of decades. If they think Carr can be made into a winner, then I think we should give them a shot.

BUT....even though I think a top-overall-pick young QB can (and will) improve with new mentoring, there ain't no blood coming out of this O-line turnip. Some of these linemen simply stink and need to be replaced. The "time to gel" argument is dead to me now, after 2 years of mostly stable personnel and stable scheme got Houston nothing more than pitiful performance and a pinata at QB. Considering the dollars poured into the O-line, the return on the investment is terrible.

This isn't to say that I wanted Bentley here or any cap-buster like that. If the fit isn't there cap-wise or personality-wise, they shouldn't force it. I just pray that something will get done in the draft or in camp to show that the O-line's faces, not just their coaches, will change.

Coreyvice> Top-flight FAs are signing in Arizona and (almost every day, it seems) Cleveland. Not exactly top teams with winning traditions. But you're still right when you say that it's a big selling point for a FA to come to a winner rather than a loser.

TexanExile said:
Wish I could agree, Joe, but I think O-line has to see some new faces. This new regime does deserve the benefit of the doubt until their product proves, on the field, that the Texans aren't moving forward.
I've always thought we were only one, maybe two players away on the Offensive line. But I thought Brown was part of that equation, not Weary. But.. oh well.

What I am beginning to realize though, is that it's nice to have a forum like this, where we can share our ideas..... good or bad.

If we sign Putzier, I don't think we will draft a TE early. IMO that means we will probably draft Bush 1st, OT 2nd, a WR with one of our 3rd's, and a MLB with our other 3rd. Other considerations are a safety, CB, DE, and an interior lineman. Obviously this list can change if we sign some nice FA's.

I concur, that if the Texans get Putzier, then the likeliness of them drafting a TE in the first day is slim to none.

from kffl.com

Texans | Putzier scheduled to visit team Sunday
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:39:15 -0800

Adam Caplan, of the Pro Football News and Injury Report, reports free agent TE Jeb Putzier (Broncos) will visit with the Houston Texans Sunday, March 19.

They have an offer I would think out to Flanagan at center, Kevin Walter at WR is in holding pattern until Sunday or when Cincy makes a decision on him. Jeb Putzier is comingi n, but his wife just had a baby so it will be this weekend I guess someone posted. They are addressing some needs, but it is a slow process and I know frustrating for us. I know I check every 15 or so minutes for updates and then keep ESPN News on in my office at work so I share your frustration> I guess patience is desired, but that isn't my strength.

Here is how I look at it....

If I was a new Head Coach coming in, I would review allot of game film on everybody I could. Evaluate them which Kubs did. Cut the ones I KNOW aren't on my page, which he did. Get some cheap free agents to help fill the holes created, which he did. Then I would play them a season and evaluate them even further, and if they don't or can't cut the mustard, they will be gone also. I personally don't see the need to go jumping into free agency right away without really watching each and every player I have through the season and practices. Just because some holes are still present, that doesn't mean that they can't or won't be addressed either through the draft, or a big trade. Don't get so impatient. Rome wasn't built in a day. Besides. I like the price of my season tickets. I don't care if we don't get another free agent signed period. I want to see what our boys can do with legitament coaching. Even you may be surprised.....

So give our current coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. They know more about football and players than us Coach potatoes will ever know.:cool:

The less that happens, the more you realize how difficult it is to turn teams around... I always tell myself that this is not a one year turnaround project and have already realized that 6-10 with 3 competitive losses is a solid season next year.

The earliest my expectations for playoffs are is 2008 season. Throw away 2006 as getting acquainted and taking strides... 2007, could be something depending on draft choices, but we will only be implementing phase 2 of major changes. 2008 is the first real opportunity for a team that could win a playoff game.

Hervoyel said:
You know what I'm starting to realize? I'm starting to realize that in many cases Gary Kubiak & Co. have a very different idea of who the "keepers" are than I do. It's not a big deal and I'm obviously going to say that they should know what they're doing but I'm just a little surprised this year to see people leave who I thought we should be making an effort to keep (Milford Brown, Jabbar Gaffney) and to see the Texans pursuing guys in areas where I thought our needs were "less" (Backup QB, Fullback). Mostly I'm surprised at how little we seem to be doing about our offensive line.

Are they morons? I don't think so. I think I probably don't know as much about what I'm looking at as I think.

I was surprised they let Gaff walk that easily, but I am not the least bit surpised about Brown. He is more of a road grader type, and I don't think he has the type of athletism and quickness that he needs to work in this system.

Back