Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If Kubes is fired

How about Tom Clements. He is the o-coordinator for the Packers. As a QB coach he helped make Elvis Grbec, tommy Maddox, and Kordell Stewart each become a pro bowler. Each of these QBs were very different types of QBs as well. He helped Brett Favre have his best season, has developed Aaron Rogers, and even helped Matt Flynn look like a million bucks.

He could help develop the new Texans QB and help mold the team into a high powered offense, prolific offense.

Mack Brown!! Not.

Regardless of whether it is the best option or not, Wade is the obvious choice. It's the easiest decision for McNair to make and the easiest transition. Our sights should be on an OC with a completely different system to the Kubiak/Dennison suck fest. It may be enough.

If I were taking a flyer though, I would take Coughlin. It would only last a couple of years and would toughen some of the younger guys up for the future. Part of our problem is that a large part of our roster has never had their azz properly rode by an NFL HC.

I was thinking of Coughlin, too :thinking:

No coordinators. I want someone who has been a successful head coach at some level. Even if it was pee wee (since that would still be an improvement over Kubiak).

How about Tom Clements. He is the o-coordinator for the Packers. As a QB coach he helped make Elvis Grbec, tommy Maddox, and Kordell Stewart each become a pro bowler. Each of these QBs were very different types of QBs as well. He helped Brett Favre have his best season, has developed Aaron Rogers, and even helped Matt Flynn look like a million bucks.

He could help develop the new Texans QB and help mold the team into a high powered offense, prolific offense.

Hands off Clements.

I want him for the next IRISH coach as soon as the Brian Kelly experiment is over.

My teams are cursed with noodle armed statues for qb.

:coffee:

Whether we promote Wade or get someone else as head coach, my main concern is switching the offense to a system that doesn't fit our players, but that seems obvious.

If we end up cleaning house, I'd love to see us get Lovie Smith; very solid defenses throughout his tenure, just got paired with a terrible GM in Angelo. Guys like Del Rio or Coughlin would make me consider my fandom. :choke:

what makes gruden so desirable?

gruden got canned from tampa. he won a superbowl with dungy's team.

gruden runs the same crap offense kubiak does.

NO THANKS

Gruden can light a fire in people's asses and for players who don't respond to screaming he can get personal with them and offer encouragement. What makes him different than Kubiak?

He shows emotion and gets fired up.

No no no. Laugh all you want but I believe Gruden salivates at the thought of coaching this team and it would draw him out.

Lovie Smith is a consideration considering his track record and the fact that they fielded solid defenses. Don't know what would happen to our 3-4 through.

Gruden can light a fire in people's asses and for players who don't respond to screaming he can get personal with them and offer encouragement. What makes him different than Kubiak?

He shows emotion and gets fired up.

Lovie Smith is a consideration considering his track record and the fact that they fielded solid defenses. Don't know what would happen to our 3-4 through.

Guys, enough with this Gruden nonsense. The guy is a fraud, and players hate him because he is a phony. Tampa fired him after the owners did a little research into the team, and talked to players about Gruden. The players - who has been fed up with their a-hole phony of a coach - dogged him to the owners. Look it up.

All of the scary faces and whatnot means nothing. He's a phony, and his emotions aren't even real. He has a reputation for tossing his players under the bus behind their backs. Why do you think he hasn't been re-hired?

Gruden is non-starter.

I'm really liking the Lovie Smith suggestions, though...

If we're going to get a new head coach, I want someone with special teams experience.

I don't want gruden. He's just a hokey caricature. I'd like to see cowher or even lovie smith of the experienced nfl hc's. if a promising college coach was available I'd be cool with that too.

My top 3 right now,

Greg Roman - OC, San Francisco 49ers

Bill O'Brien - HC, Penn State University (previously the New England OC)

Bill Cowher - TV analyst, former Pittsburgh Steelers HC

I have no idea why some of you think Wade should be immune if the Texans go through a coaching change? Some of you even want to promote him to HC!?

Mike Zimmer is a badass and would bring an 'edge' to this team. As long as he brought a good OC, I'd love Zim. He'd bring it. None of this 'woe is me' stuff.

I vote for Sumlin and Keenum.....revive the Run & Shoot!!!

I would run through the streets naked!

:kubepalm:

:backsout: at my own comment about running through the streets lol!

I'd say why not? All of the teams have already figured out the system that we currently have. It has become so predictable that the Texans can't even throw TD passes with any QB to beat average teams at home. It has done the city of Houston no better than the R&S has.

What about josh mcdaniels?

Had a rough time of it in Denver, lost his QB right away and got stuck with a media aboration at QB between Orton and Tebow.

I think you look at the team he built and it all looks pretty good. Can see this team netting a top 12 pick to work out a solution at QB, keep the D stable under Wade because the talent isn't too bad, get a decent right tackle and a modern scheme and were back on track.

I also think mcdaniels will have learnt from his previous tenure as HC and that will stand him in good stead for the future.

Whether we promote Wade or get someone else as head coach, my main concern is switching the offense to a system that doesn't fit our players, but that seems obvious.

If we end up cleaning house, I'd love to see us get Lovie Smith; very solid defenses throughout his tenure, just got paired with a terrible GM in Angelo. Guys like Del Rio or Coughlin would make me consider my fandom. :choke:

Frankly our system sucks IMO and I'd rather we have an offensive mind that can get the best out of what he has rather then spend 8 years searching for a roster that fits his system and never getting it right.

I'm not a Jacoby Jones fan but I think it's fairly obvious that the Ravens simplified things for a guy who is average in the intellect department at best...but we could never figure out that it was best to just point him in a direction and tell him to run fast (a bit like Forrest Gump come to think of it).

I'm not sold on Sumlin. He might be a great coach but imo, he's ridden other coaches recruits. Until we see what he can do without Keenum/Manziel I'd pass. Art Briles would be my pick if it's a collegiate coach. If not, I have no clue.

You name any and everybody you want to coach this team...

Knowing how Bob McNair works and watching him the last 10+ years, the next head coach is residing as this teams current DC.

No freaking way Bob McNair is not going to hire Bum's son in hopes of Wade Phillips taking this team to a Super Bowl. He has hung onto this fairly tale of the local boy who was a ball boy for the Oilers turned HC to take this team to the promise land, but that fairy tale is just that.

Now the chance for Bum's son to take over the reigns, it will be another 5 years of mediocrity and sadness until Bob McNair pulls his head out of his over-loyal ass and learns how a football team is ran....

Gruden is not top on my list either. He's been out for too long and he never really built a team that he won with.

I'd rather see a defensive minded coach who brings in a good OC.

I think the other option is to start with a GM.

In today's NFL I don't know if I want a defensive minded coach. The coach needs to understand that games are won by putting more points on the board than the other team. The only time a D is going to come into play is outdoors in the winter when the passing games are hindered.

The days of smashmouth D, run the ball down their throats O are gone. You need an open offense and most defensive minded coaches (Cowher, Smith, Ryan, Capers) want to run first. They operate under the old beliefs that to win you have to run and stop the run.

It's 2013. It's a new game. Find someone that can open up this offense. We have some talented players on offense. Our RB has wonderful hands and could be a threat if he wasn't just a safety valve. We have 2 TEs with good hands. We have the best receiver of this generation that our HC has never utilized in the red zone. We have a rookie WR that looks like he could be a #1. We should be averaging 35 points a game with these guys. We just need a truly offensive minded HC that will take the training wheels off.

Can I assume we're talking about the eventual replacement for Wade Phillips here? I mean, really I'm pretty sure Wade is the Head-Coach-in-Waiting here. Like it or not we're probably going to have to sit through a couple of years of Wade giving it one more shot before we get another shot at a legitimate HC.

Never got that sense. Wade has proven to be if anything softer as a head coach than Kubiak with about the same sort of pretty good non-great success. Really no reason to have a 70 year old version of what you already have.

Not convinced that Kubiak is in as much trouble as he should be anyway.

Never got that sense. Wade has proven to be if anything softer as a head coach than Kubiak with about the same sort of pretty good non-great success. Really no reason to have a 70 year old version of what you already have.

Not convinced that Kubiak is in as much trouble as he should be anyway.

I feel the same way. I think we're stuck with Kubiak no matter what happens this season. I hate that, I really do, but it just fits with the way things go with this team.

In today's NFL I don't know if I want a defensive minded coach. The coach needs to understand that games are won by putting more points on the board than the other team. The only time a D is going to come into play is outdoors in the winter when the passing games are hindered.

The days of smashmouth D, run the ball down their throats O are gone. You need an open offense and most defensive minded coaches (Cowher, Smith, Ryan, Capers) want to run first. They operate under the old beliefs that to win you have to run and stop the run.

It's 2013. It's a new game. Find someone that can open up this offense. We have some talented players on offense. Our RB has wonderful hands and could be a threat if he wasn't just a safety valve. We have 2 TEs with good hands. We have the best receiver of this generation that our HC has never utilized in the red zone. We have a rookie WR that looks like he could be a #1. We should be averaging 35 points a game with these guys. We just need a truly offensive minded HC that will take the training wheels off.

We have 0 speed at those skill positions though & that's a problem....don't know where it is on the totem pole of our problems, but it's definitely a problem. AJ doesn't really scare anyone deep anymore, Hopkins isn't really a speed guy, Foster & OD aren't really fast.

Kubiak isn't going anywhere. Neither is Schaub. Historically, this organization isn't known for doing things like that. Heck, we'll probably even give Kubiak an extension.

Stuck like Chuck

I feel the same way. I think we're stuck with Kubiak no matter what happens this season. I hate that, I really do, but it just fits with the way things go with this team.

The organization always seems to be like a year behind. Especially if the team manages to get to 7-9 or 8-8, I expect Kubes to get another year. I am 95% sure McNair won't fire Kubiak in season not matter how many 20 point losses we have

[BOLD]Not convinced that Kubiak is in as much trouble as he should be anyway.[/BOLD]

I'm not either. McNair loves him some Kubiak.

I don't live in Houston anymore. But I can count on one...maybe two hands the number of games I've missed on TV since we got the franchise. If Kubiak is our head coach next year I'm moving on. I'd even take Wade at this point even though it's not ideal (by a long shot). Why? Because it's not even about wins and losses anymore for me....I'm just worn out after seeing eight years of same #$%& different day.

I'm just tired of having the Texans (and to a certain extent my other team... the Longhorns ...over he last 4 years) ruin the football season for me. The Texans have been a bad or frustrating /under performing team outside of a few stretches here and there for too long. And considering Kubiaks performance even when things are going good I'm guarded and waiting for the other shoe to drop.

A friend of mine roots for QBs and will support teams with a good one even if that means jumping around a bit. He enjoys the season a lot more than I do.

If he goes I hope they bring in a more fun loving loose coach. Not saying Gruden or Cowher but one with their type personality.

I don't live in Houston anymore. But I can count on one...maybe two hands the number of games I've missed on TV since we got the franchise. If Kubiak is our head coach next year I'm moving on. I'd even take Wade at this point even though it's not ideal (by a long shot). Why? Because it's not even about wins and losses anymore for me....I'm just worn out after seeing eight years of same #$%& different day.

I'm just tired of having the Texans (and to a certain extent my other team... the Longhorns ...over he last 4 years) ruin the football season for me. The Texans have been a bad or frustrating /under performing team outside of a few stretches here and there for too long. And considering Kubiaks performance even when things are going good I'm guarded and waiting for the other shoe to drop.

A friend of mine roots for QBs and will support teams with a good one even if that means jumping around a bit. He enjoys the season a lot more than I do.

Andrew Luck went to one of the High Schools I teach, so I might just take that philosophy and see how it works...

I have always done that in sports. I have my main teams, and then I have my secondary team and another tema or two that I like usually because of who the QB's are or because of players I like from college. After the Texans I've always rooted for the Patriots out of being a Brady. The comeback drive from Brady yesterday was magical. One for the ages. The Texans don't get me as emotional as they used to. I have learned to expect bad things under Kubiak, so I am usually not surprised.

I have always done that in sports. I have my main teams, and then I have my secondary team and another tema or two that I like usually because of who the QB's are or because of players I like from college. After the Texans I've always rooted for the Patriots out of being a Brady. The comeback drive from Brady yesterday was magical. One for the ages. The Texans don't get me as emotional as they used to. I have learned to expect bad things under Kubiak, so I am usually not surprised.

playing fantasy football has kept me from going insane with the way the Texans have been playing. Makes me watch the entire league and individual players, not just one team...

Thanks Fantasy Football! you have saved my sanity...

I know how you feel. I've always been a fan of the Seahawks, but not in a big way. They've just been my NFC team I'd root for if they happened to be on TV or in the playoffs. But living in Houston, my head won't allow me to switch like that. Even though I'd love to just tell the Texans to piss off, I can't. But it doesn't keep me from still rooting for the Hawks in the playoffs since the Texans obviously won't be there this year.

I look back on my life in 2006 and I would have never imagined all the changes that have occured in the last few years. In 2006 I was in my 4th year with my last girlfriend and starting to realize it wasn't working out. Now I'm happily married (to another woman) and our first child is on the way. All awesome stuff.

But the 2006 version of me wouldn't have anticipated that we'd still be running sad sack Kubiak out there eight years later with little to no real success either.

I'm not sold on Sumlin. He might be a great coach but imo, he's ridden other coaches recruits. Until we see what he can do without Keenum/Manziel I'd pass. Art Briles would be my pick if it's a collegiate coach. If not, I have no clue.

I'm not in the Sumlin club, but what difference does this make? Hopefully our next regime will start at the VP of football operations where the GM does his job & the coach does his job. Sumlin should have input on player acquisitions, but nothing like he has now & nothing like Kubiak has now.

The Texans are the most entertaining bipolar football team right now... Kubiak isn't getting fired. This is a good ol boy system it is what it is. Expect for players to get blamed that really shouldn't.

I'm not in the Sumlin club, but what difference does this make? Hopefully our next regime will start at the VP of football operations where the GM does his job & the coach does his job. Sumlin should have input on player acquisitions, but nothing like he has now & nothing like Kubiak has now.

Has a Houston NFL franchise ever had a black coach? Rick Smith may be enough to Bob McNair...

I think we're all a little shell shocked from 11 years of mediocrity and feeling pretty negative these days. The reality is that Bob McNair watched fans leaving the stadium in the 3rd Q, cheering the starting QB's injury, his team lose by ~30 points for the second week in a row, and a Texans QB throw a pick-six for a 5th straight game. Now our odds of making the playoffs, statistically speaking, is 9%.

Bob McNair is allegedly a businessman, I'd think he knows what another year of Kubiak would mean for his bottom line. This is assuming we don't win 9 of the next 10. :lol:

The Texans are the most entertaining bipolar football team right now... Kubiak isn't getting fired. This is a good ol boy system it is what it is. Expect for players to get blamed that really shouldn't.

Funny you say that. The forums haven't been exactly fun lately but still provide more entertainment than the games lately. For sure.

Funny you say that. The forums haven't been exactly fun lately but still provide more entertainment than the games lately. For sure.

In my heart I promise you I'm a big Texans fan. It's got so bad that when they lose I don't even feel anything anymore. Everyone deep down inside knows it's Coach and QB more than anything but we also know nothing will really change positive wise this season. What is there to look forward to regarding this team this year? Open ended question...

Back