Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I will never root for Bush if he is a Texan

TexansFight

Veteran
and I won't be a fan of this team anymore if VY is available and we pass on him. He is a local kid who is creating a legend for himself greater than even Earl Campbell. I am a Longhorn first and foremost. Bush has been so overhyped it is past the point of ridiculousness. VY is a winner like Michael Jordan. If VY stays and we take Bush I will root for the Texans to win but I will never be a fan of his. There is still too much bitterness in my mouth at the lack of respect my beloved Longhorns were shown before the game. That is not directly Bush's fault, nevertheless, I can never root for him.

A Texans fan wouldn't fail to root for a player because the team didn't draft the player they wanted. I can understand it if the player is a Lawrence Phillips type who has had multiple problems with off the field behavior, but why not Bush? Young is a wonderful player, but the Texans believe Carr is their QB and thus that's not a smart pick. Young is staying in school and hopefully you won't root for the Texans to lose their games so they can draft #1 next year. Oh yeah, you aren't rooting for them anyway.

TexansFight said:
He is a local kid who is creating a legend for himself greater than even Earl Campbell.

He has a ways to go to push Earl to second place in my book. Earl is the greatest running back I have ever seen. Period. He didn't have the longevity because he ran behind horrible lines, but he was the best.

TexansFight said:
no I am a Longhorn first and foremost. The Texans can do nothing to leapfrog my beloved Longhorns.

Yeah, and we should hire Mack Brown as head coach too......

This is the Houston Texans. Not the Houston Longhorns. This is pro. Not college.

You dont take players because they are hometowners. You take em because they are your best chance at winning.

occasionally, you get both. David Carr has had 4 seasons, its time for vince to have a turn. Did you see his completion percentage? Are you going to sit here and tell me there is a better player in the draft? I dont want to hear it....reggie made stupid football decisions all night, THAT had nothing to do with how keyed in on him UT's Defense was. He wont help us, having a real Qb will......#1 overall on vince, trade back into the first for dbrick...thats not homerism, thats smart football.

TexansFight said:
and I won't be a fan of this team anymore if VY is available and we pass on him. I am a Longhorn first and foremost. .
That is the gayest quote I've seen on these boards. I pray that we pass on him now so we can loose fair weather fans such as yourself. I think the horns on your head are squeezing your brain down too much to do any clear thinking.

gtexan02 said:
Wow I sort of hope you never do root fot the Texans. Fans like you aren't hard to lose...

Maybe we should start a thread. I asked earlier if Reggie Bush was our Earl Campbell, meaning the Texans' equivalent, all these years later.

It's clear tonight, that although he plays a different position, Reggie isn't, and Vince Young is. He's the move that MAKES THE FRANCHISE. Frankly, I don't follow college football, and I thought the Vince Young stuff on here was just guys rooting for a pretty good QB who was local.

I had no idea.

Somebody on another thread said he's a bigger, better, faster, smarter, tougher, more accurate, quicker Randall Cunningham. I see that. And I see a lot of other comparisons. But the one that matters to me most is that if he come's out, which he apparently said tonight on ESPN that he was going to think about, if he comes out he's our Earl Campbell, the move that Casserly and McNair and Co. can make to turn this franchise to gold. OK, more gold. Like Earl was. And for anybody who wasn't around back in the day, that's something very freaking special. That's once in a lifetime.

Twice, now.

Maybe he'll sue them.

Isn't this the guy that wanted to bring a lawsuit against the organization because they were "wasting his money"?

Nighthawk said:
Maybe we should start a thread. I asked earlier if Reggie Bush was our Earl Campbell, meaning the Texans' equivalent, all these years later.

It's clear tonight, that although he plays a different position, Reggie isn't, and Vince Young is. He's the move that MAKES THE FRANCHISE. Frankly, I don't follow college football, and I thought the Vince Young stuff on here was just guys rooting for a pretty good QB who was local.

I had no idea.

Somebody on another thread said he's a bigger, better, faster, smarter, tougher, more accurate, quicker Randall Cunningham. I see that. And I see a lot of other comparisons. But the one that matters to me most is that if he come's out, which he apparently said tonight on ESPN that he was going to think about, if he comes out he's our Earl Campbell, the move that Casserly and McNair and Co. can make to turn this franchise to gold. OK, more gold. Like Earl was. And for anybody who wasn't around back in the day, that's something very freaking special. That's once in a lifetime.

Twice, now.

Apparently you did not see other games in the season against mediocre/crappy defenses when he did not look nowhere as good as he did tonight.

IT WAS ONE GAME

rockabilly said:
Apparently you did not see other games in the season against mediocre/crappy defenses when he did not look nowhere as good as he did tonight.

IT WAS ONE GAME
Young led the Nation in passer rating...yes, higher than Leinart....and it wasn't just one game.

swtbound07 said:
dont want to hear it....reggie made stupid football decisions all night, THAT had nothing to do with how keyed in on him UT's Defense was.

So Reggie deciding to lateral the ball to an open man when he was being tackled was a stupid move, but Vince doing the exact same thing is a smart move?

dont put words in my mouth...i havent said ONCE that vince making that lateral was a smart play. I think it practically screams senseless turnover. Also reggie taking the opening kickoff out of the endzone to get dropped at the 10 was a dumb football decision. Take the knee. The lateral that cost his team a sure 3 points, and probably 7 because he was trying to be superman? Yes, it was a dumb play. If it had WORKED, its still a dumb football play. It was dumb when moss did it a couple of years ago, dumb when vince did it, and dumb when reggie did it.

If it was dumb when Vince did it, why would the Texans want to draft him? They should want to avoid players that make dumb football decisions.

I think both players are going to be great pros. I think right now, though, Bush is a bigger necessity. Davis isn't an incredible back that's going to carry a franchise. Yes, he almost had a 3rd consecutive 1000 yard season. Can you think of a less inspiring 1000 yard season in the NFL. How about Sammy Winder running for 1100 yards on 300 carries for the Broncos in the 80s. I can go into my yard, shake a tree, and get a guy that can run for 1000 yards to fall on my lawn. The Texans have a QB that with a real coach and a real offensive coordinator can be very good. It's not like he's been Gino Toretta out there. He's had some great performances. Who knows, maybe the new HC will get a real QB coach.

Our line sucks.

We don't have a real TE

We don't have a real #2 receiver.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

TexansFight said:
no I am a Longhorn first and foremost. The Texans can do nothing to leapfrog my beloved Longhorns.

This guy is a quick study if I ever saw one.:crazy:

This was coming from someone who was saying that he would give anything if McNair hired Bob Stoops to be the Texans head coach, and went on and on about his 'beloved Sooners', in between all his threats to sue the team.

Leave it to a fricken lawyer to take the bandwagon to a new level.

TexansFight said:
and I won't be a fan of this team anymore if VY is available and we pass on him. He is a local kid who is creating a legend for himself greater than even Earl Campbell. I am a Longhorn first and foremost. Bush has been so overhyped it is past the point of ridiculousness. VY is a winner like Michael Jordan. If VY stays and we take Bush I will root for the Texans to win but I will never be a fan of his. There is still too much bitterness in my mouth at the lack of respect my beloved Longhorns were shown before the game. That is not directly Bush's fault, nevertheless, I can never root for him.

is this a joke? or was this written last night as time ran out? Young is an awesome player and whatever NFL team he ends up leading will be glad they drafted him .... but c'mon ..... last year it was DJ DJ DJ DJ .... he got 0 votes in the defensive ROY voting ..... he'll obviously be great too eventually ... but jeeez .... at some point you gotta take off the burnt orange and pull on the battle red and realize that the 2 are independent entities ....

If you think what V Young did last night will translate to the pros your freakin insane. He wont rack up 100+ yards a game and he wont run through real tackles like the weak *** arm tackles USC threw at him. The way he stides all tall and proud will get him severly hurt by a real tackler. He puts no zip on his passes and NFL db's actually cover the wideouts. He had one of the great performances I have ever seen but USC did all it could to not win the game.

BigBull17 said:
If you think what V Young did last night will translate to the pros your freakin insane. He wont rack up 100+ yards a game and he wont run through real tackles like the weak *** arm tackles USC threw at him. The way he stides all tall and proud will get him severly hurt by a real tackler. He puts no zip on his passes and NFL db's actually cover the wideouts. He had one of the great performances I have ever seen but USC did all it could to not win the game.

You're right about a few of these things which leads me to believe that you have actually seen VY play the game of football. Then you go and say that he puts no zip on his passes and I have to wonder.

Yes he floated a couple of passes up last night. No he did not fail to put any "zip" on the rest of his throws. He was, for the most part pretty brilliant. That doesn't mean I'm praying for the Texans to draft him (honestly he could use another year at UT) and it doesn't mean that TexansFight has any kind of clue. This thread is maybe the most pathetic thing I've seen posted in almost 5 years here.

I'll tell you guys something. If it meant that I never had to read another post like the drivel that started this thread then I'd pass on 3-4 great UT players. That would be a heck of a deal.

Why is it always feast or famine on this board? I just don't get it.

Hervoyel said:

I'm afraid this is a product of a losing team without the appearance of adequate leadership .... at first this MB was all about (we need a LT, play Peek more, Carr's dumping off too much, .....) legit fan topics ..... it's regressed into factions (Carr Sucks, Fire Capers or else, Casserly is clueless, VY is our savior, ...) which could be considered fan topics but are based more on emotion than anything else .... I'm hoping it'll eventually swing back the other way as the Texans right this badly listing ship .... IMO

Hervoyel said:

I know that was a rhetorical question, but:

MANY people treat it as a zero sum game:
If Bush is great Young sucks; If Young is great Bush sucks.

I think there might be more than one good player in this draft.

MANY people also see things as too black and white:

The only possible thing to do is pick the best player with the first pick vs.
The only possible thing to do is trade the first pick for multiple players

Guess what? Both options have legitimate strengths and weaknesses.

p.s. 999 posts. I'm all giddy.

Is this for real? Honestly, that is one of the most immature posts I have seen yet on an Internet message board. If you are this dense, I would rather have you rooting for the Saints/Titans when and/or if they get Vince. He played a heck of a game last night and deserves tons of credit. But lets not hand him to the NFL Hall of Fame yet. Let's take some time to evaluate ALL of the talent available this year.

No wonder the stands are empty at Texan games most of the time when losses pile up. I've never seen more far weathered people in my life. VY has been doing this all year and there was no talk of him. Now this. Vince Young was awesome and that was incredible but Bush is the best bet for the Texans. I saw things that impressed me. He ran hard and hit people to finish plays. When he did get in the open field his speed beat anything the Texans have. The bonehead pitch, notwithstanding, he made some awesome moves on that screen pass. They just didn't get him the ball. AND he did get most of the attention and it left Leinart with all kinds of time. LenDale was part of that too.

Hervoyel said:
This thread is maybe the most pathetic thing I've seen posted in almost 5 years here.
And yet you and I both dignified it enough to actually take the time to respond to this crap. How pathetic is that, I wonder?
:slap:

Im just stating that on a couple of plays last night, and other times this season, that the ball sails a little and he needs to loft it a little less. He has the arm strength so thats not the issue. On a few plays last night if the DB's bother to be within 10 yards of the WR they could make a play due to the lack of zip and trajectory(sp) of the pass. Im not saying the kid isnt one of the greatest college players of all time, cause hes up there, but its unreasonable to think he could do what he did last night at the next level. Just my :twocents:

Vinny said:
Young led the Nation in passer rating...yes, higher than Leinart....and it wasn't just one game.

I just can't help but think that this, while true, is a product of his running ability, the type of passes that he throws, and his talent. Will all 3 be in play in the NFL? He's a step to a half-step faster than everyone else in college. How does that translate to the NFL? IMO

TexansFight said:
Now I know who is over at the Jag board being dumb. Thanks for unveiling yourself, but stay off the Jag board. We want true Texans fans over there, no need for the half hearted.

Marcus don't you ever insult me again by saying that I was ever a sooner. That is complete bs. Charley Casserly has passed on Longhorns and stocked this team up with aggy losers like Seth McKinney. He passed on DJ last year which I think everyone realizes was a mistake though the sunshine pumpers at the time said the DJ backers had burnt orange glasses on.

This town would be on fire if we had VY. It would be like Earl Campbell all over again. My first love is the Longhorns. I loved the Oilers with all my heart too. The Texans need to do something to get the passion former Oilers fans like myself had for the team.

BattleRedGuy said:

To the credit of the person claiming VY led they nation in passer rating. That is what the anouncers were claiming last night during the game.

Not sure why they were saying it.

VY is a great player.

He should stay in school because he WILL NOT be taken in the Top 5 unless someone trades up to get him. plus, He WILL win the heisman next year.

NFL Scouts DO NOT rate a player based on his performance during one game. Yes VY played a great game, but even with this perfromance it will not push him past Bush or Matt. Matt looks way too much like Carson Palmer, and he runs an NFL type offense. Plus, most of the NFL Coaches would rather have a great passer ala Peyton Manning & Carson Palmer than a good running QB like Mike Vick or Mike Brookes.

Bush ran for 87 yrds on only 12 carries, avg 6.3 yds per carry. (1 TD), 6 receptions for almost 100 yds. Add to yards of his stupid pitch pass and Bush has a Stellar day.
White avg 6.2 yds per carry.(3 TDs)
Leinart threw 362 yds. (100 yards more than VY)

I am a HUGE LongHorn fan. I even went to the Rose Bowl last year. I even had a Rose Bowl party and taunted numberous USC fans who attended the party, who where in shock and at least one of them shed tears (it was great). But I understand the NFL, and NFL scouts look for certain things....like um....did you see Vince Young's post game interview....lets just say.....he doesn't sound like the smartest guy in the world. (of course Leinart & White sounded cocky as hell even in defeat.)

In my mind Bush's stock went up after this game. He was explosive, he broke a run for 26 yrds and a pass for 37 yrds and scored a TD, all against the best defense in college football.

Reactions: ATX
jerek said:
This would never have been obvious.

I cannot believe how quickly people jump off of one bandwagon and others join another.

Vince Young has a great Rose Bowl, well damn, stop the presses and let's write off our franchise to give the hometown boy the sixty million dollar parade he deserves.

The truth is, we do not need Bush or Young as a do-or-die draft pick, the same problems this team has had for four years now will still be here, only difference is now maybe we will get a coaching staff that will get us to play to our talent level or perhaps above it, instead of below it.

If you are going to make a case for Vince or Bush, please do so on the basis of more than one game. Consider the rest of our team, and how these players would fit given our current personnel and, since this is the NFL, our salary caps. Take into account the other possibilities. Think about, really think about, how some of these guys will make the translation to the NFL.

Reggie Bush looked pretty mortal last night. No surprise here. Will the kid be a good, possibly a great NFL back? I still think so.

Vince Young had a great game to cap off a great season, well celebrate it, cause he stepped up and got the job done. But don't forget about his questionable arm, and if you want pro comparisons, how about a guy named Mike Vic, who is faster/better arm and yet finished, what, 24th in NFL passer rating this year? It took NFL defenses a year to adjust to Vick's game. Cry about David Carr all you want, the guy still has a much better arm and similar speed. Go ahead and tell me I am full of it, start saying BULL**** DID YOU SEE VINCE RUN CIRCLES AROUND ALL THESE COLLEGE PLAYERS OUT THERE?!!! Well, yes, I did, and yes, they are college players.

Don't be blinded. Consider the BIG picture.

To the board: could we please stop with the OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO DRAFT SO AND SO BECAUSE HE IS THE GREATEST DAMNED LEGACY EVER already. If you've got a favorite, well tout him, but try to do so intelligently.

Jerek I agree with you (finally). Funny how people are saying that Vince is going to be the next Michael Vick, well what has Michael really done? He was spectacular his first year, was injured his second year, was good but not spectacular his third year, and bad his fourth year. Michael Vick is not a great passer just like Vince Young and defenses are making him one dimensional by forcing them to beat them by passing, which he can't do.

Marcus said:
And yet you and I both dignified it enough to actually take the time to respond to this crap. How pathetic is that, I wonder?
:slap:

Well, in the immortal words of Dom Capers we can't allow things we have no control over to affect us. We should only focus on what we can control. I can't make TexansFight make more sense. If I could I would have done so a long, long time ago. I'm sure you would have too but it's out of our control. All we can do is execute our posts and try to keep it close. Then we go for the win in the better threads!

bulldawgtexan said:
Where is all this negativity about D. Davis coming from? He is awesome. He has been a great running back behind a poor offensive line. Seriously, did any of you make it past the 4th grade?
For the record our offensive line is really only poor at Pass Protection. Our Offensive line has been very capable at run blocking, and DD has not been the only RB that has performed decently behind it this season.

DD has been a great value to this team, but if you look at the other RBs in this league you quickly realize he is nothing special. Sorry to sound mean but it is true.

Being a fan of anything requires your support whether the decisions made are to your liking or not. To put stipulations for your loyalty screams of the type of fans from the north and I know Texan's Fans are not like that. We've lost a team before and we know what it took to make that kind of thing happen. If we're to learn from that we've gotta pull for whatever decision is made and support the team. Win or Lose, I'm a Texan. Reggie, Vince or whoever, I'm a Texan. No matter what a poster say's or an adversary for another team says, I'm a Texan!!! You're born one, NOT made one. You either pull for em with all your gut or You become a Titan Fan! Yes, I'm a born and raised Oiler/Texan Fanatic and proud of it!!!

When I see a thread like this it just speaks to a number of things....

1) For someone to say CC TRIES to avoid UT players is RIDICULOUS.

2) First of all people were cheering for TEXAS not UT. I would have been screaming just as loud if it was Aggies out there. I rep for Texas not ONE school.

3) If that's all it takes for you not to be a fan of the Texans BYE-BYE.

Texan Asylum said:
Being a fan of anything requires your support whether the decisions made are to your liking or not. To put stipulations for your loyalty screams of the type of fans from the north and I know Texan's Fans are not like that. We've lost a team before and we know what it took to make that kind of thing happen. If we're to learn from that we've gotta pull for whatever decision is made and support the team. Win or Lose, I'm a Texan. Reggie, Vince or whoever, I'm a Texan. No matter what a poster say's or an adversary for another team says, I'm a Texan!!! You're born one, NOT made one. You either pull for em with all your gut or You become a Titan Fan! Yes, I'm a born and raised Oiler/Texan Fanatic and proud of it!!!

Just to correct one thing. I'm a Cowboy fan and grew up in Ft. Worth. People are fairweathered, they bleed that team and you see it everywhere. They are bad lately. I have been here since 1993 and root for the Texans to do well. Thus me being here. I think there is just as many people that are crazy homers here than anywhere else. Just wanted to say that:)

Wanna know what I saw last night? Class from Reggie Bush. After the game, the first thing he did was go to the Texas locker room and congratulate the team on the great game. What did Vince do after the game? Say "Who's the Heisman?". Just like scoring touchdowns, act like you've been there before.

Reggie Bush is NOT the answer, the Longhorn defense pretty much shut him down. Vince Young is not the answer because he is a one man show, and that don't work in the NFL. Yeah, ESPN, CBS and FOX love it because it gives them something to hype up each week...Look at Michael Vick. If Young get hurts and you have built your offense around him...You Lose! There are some pieces of the puzzle missing here in TEXANSLAND, New Coach, a stable game plan, BLOCKING!!! and we are all talking playoffs AGAIN (come on guys remember last off season?) One more thing, get off Carrs back, he has done everything asked of him all while getting his head knocked off each week and he has kept a great attitute.

Texan Asylum said:
Now that's what i liked to hear......someone speaking from the heart. I have been a fan from day one and will be one forever. I will never forget the day the oilers left and took our super bowl hopes with them. Let's not have that happen again.....be a true fan....not some bandwagon fan who only watches when we're winning. I hope we do get Reggie Bush....the national spotlight will be on us and it will give the fans something to cheer about. And if they decide to trade the pick I will still be a true loyal Texan fan and u will not see me hear bashing them.

I'm a huge longhorn fan also, and really enjoyed seeing Young play at reliant in December. However, if the texans select Bush i'm going to be one of his fans. The guy has great speed, comes across great in his interviews, appears to have great character, etc. He can't control the media hype. I do believe Young is the best player and made the Heisman voters look foolish in the Rose Bowl. He would also be great for the Texans. I will support either player with the Texans. I will be really chapped if the Texans do not have any longhorns on the roster next year. Charley seems to put blinders on when it comes to drafting longhorns for some reason.

chuckm said:
I'm afraid this is a product of a losing team without the appearance of adequate leadership .... at first this MB was all about (we need a LT, play Peek more, Carr's dumping off too much, .....) legit fan topics ..... it's regressed into factions (Carr Sucks, Fire Capers or else, Casserly is clueless, VY is our savior, ...) which could be considered fan topics but are based more on emotion than anything else .... I'm hoping it'll eventually swing back the other way as the Texans right this badly listing ship .... IMO

yep. :howdy:

I'll be glad to see the board return to 'normal', once the draft is conducted and we have a good idea of who will be on the team come training camp. I really enjoy reading the x's & o's of football, as opposed to all the emotional conjecture and speculation that seems to permeate the forums at the moment.

TexFan58 said:
Reggie Bush is NOT the answer, the Longhorn defense pretty much shut him down. Vince Young is not the answer because he is a one man show, and that don't work in the NFL. Yeah, ESPN, CBS and FOX love it because it gives them something to hype up each week...Look at Michael Vick. If Young get hurts and you have built your offense around him...You Lose! There are some pieces of the puzzle missing here in TEXANSLAND, New Coach, a stable game plan, BLOCKING!!! and we are all talking playoffs AGAIN (come on guys remember last off season?) One more thing, get off Carrs back, he has done everything asked of him all while getting his head knocked off each week and he has kept a great attitute.
Look at Reggie Bush's stats.

Rushing: 13 carries, 82 yds, 1 TD
Passing: 6 rec, 95 yds,

Converted into a 16 game NFL Season that would mean:
He would rush for 1312 yds on only 208 carries, 16 TDs
He would have 1520 yds with 96 receptions.

That would only make him the most dangerous Rusher and Reciever in the NFL.

He was not even close to shut down.

If that is his numbers when he is shut down. Heck I want the GUY!!!

Hervoyel said:
Well, in the immortal words of Dom Capers we can't allow things we have no control over to affect us. We should only focus on what we can control. I can't make TexansFight make more sense. If I could I would have done so a long, long time ago. I'm sure you would have too but it's out of our control. All we can do is execute our posts and try to keep it close. Then we go for the win in the better threads!
lol:

Herv . . . I think one of the main reasons why I still hang around this place is that every once in awhile, someone like you manages to give me a really good chuckle . . . whick kinda makes it all the worthwhile.:)

TexansFight said:
I am a Longhorn first and foremost.
I'm a Texan Fan first and foremost and if Young is the QB for a team playing the Texans I hope he gets stomped. Quite wishing you could have gone to UT and go to a UT message board.

Texan Asylum said:
I agree with you whole-heartedly. My husband and I had Oilers season tickets for many, many years. When they left, we were heart-broken. We now support the Texans and all the players on our team.

By the way, I love that Earl Campbell play! It is one of my all time favorite runs of his. Somehow, I expected Reggie Bush to be more like that with all the hype surrounding him. He seems rather small to me. However, if the Texans draft him, I'll be cheering him on!

I didn't watch football all the years Houston didn't have a team. Not even the Superbowl. I was that disenchanted with the whole thing. I was living in Iowa when I heard the Texans was born and about got my wife pregnant AGAIN cause I was so excited. To some it matters more than to others. A loss is just a loss, or it's a gut wrenching ordeal that doesn't go away till it's replaced with a win. Then it's never really replaced, just set aside. I'm not a Stats junkie or a person who can name every player on the rouster fan. But I am a fan that'll suffer the Worst so I can ENJOY the Best. Tis a priviledge to be a fan of the TEXANS!

Nice t ry done88. I am a University of Texas Law School graduate. Thanks for playing. I am a Longhorn through and through.

Back