Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I Missed The F'n Game, Fill Me In

so i had to work from 6-10 and missed the game.

looks like fitzsucksbutt had a good game.
foster looks like he had a good game.

their run game was held in check.

so what happened? whyd we lose? fill me in please.

If you are able to watch the last 3 minutes of the second quarter thats basically the game in a nutshell.

The Texans lost the game in a span of 2 minutes and 54 seconds at the end of the 2nd quarter

so im getting that something happened in the last 3 mins of the 2nd...........

The Steelers scored 24 points in that time frame that ended the game. Contributing to the Steeler success was Arian Foster, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Daniel Manning and JJ Watt.

The Texans have no heart, brains, or courage. Even the Wizard of Oz has given up on them. And as they proved last week, home isn't any better for these Dorothys.

"Fill me in"

That's funny because that's exactly what the Texans have been whispering in the ears of opponents since inception. And year after year they bend over and get filled in.

People will pin the game on Fitz as usual, but so many players had a hand in today's loss besides him. Coaching, manning, foster, Hopkins, and even watt made an extremely bad timing penalty. But to sum it up, we played better than the Steelers for 45 minutes of the game, but still found a way to lose it in those other 3.

Since we only lost by seven, you can justifiably argue that anyone one of the events that caused a 7 point swing cost us the game. Arians fumble, Fitzy's INT, the decision not to kneel all equally to blame in that crazy 2mins.

manning and watt. hmmmmm, sounds interesting.

OK, here's my summary (hope it helps - seems most people are too depressed by this one to give many details...):

Game starts off really well for Texans. They score on the first three drives, Arian is playing incredible, defense stops Pittsburgh including Watt recovering a fumble, and they go up 13-0. All is looking good at this point, about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Steelers manage to put together a longer drive and get a FG - not a big deal, but they're clearly doing better than they were.
Texans go 3 and out. At this point, we're inside the 2 minute warning, so all is still looking OK. Now is when the disaster hits...

Steelers get a TD in just two plays (long passes). 13-10 now, but the Texans will get the ball back.

Manning fumbles the kickoff. Gets it back but the Texans are on their own 5 yard line. On second down, Arian fumbles the ball on the 2 yard line (not noticed until replay). Steelers take over and score a TD one play later. 13-17 now.

Texans get the ball back with about a minute to go. First play - tipped pass is intercepted and Steelers have the ball again inside the 10 yard line. 2 more plays and they have another TD - now it's 13-24 at halftime, which was all they needed. In that 2 minute period, they scored 21 points.

Second half starts with a 3-and-out by the Texans and just kind of moves along from there, with neither team playing spectacular. Texans manage to score a FG, but Steelers add 2 more (one of them after another fumble). Somewhere in there the Texans have the Steelers at 3rd down, and have 12 men on the field before the snap, giving them a 1st down. Right near the end, the Texans get another touchdown to bring it to 23-30. The final onside kick bounces around and is touched by lots of people, but Pittsburgh ends up with it, and that's the game.

so i had to work from 6-10 and missed the game.

looks like fitzsucksbutt had a good game.
foster looks like he had a good game.

their run game was held in check.

so what happened? whyd we lose? fill me in please.

The 2013 Texans showed up to play. It was ugly.

ReFo: Texans @ Steelers, Week 7

For the second straight week on Monday Night Football a controlled first half meant nothing as a three minute meltdown from the Houston Texans all but surrendered the game to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

While their performance was short of dominant to that point they were in control until the wheels fell off courtesy of turnovers and long plays surrendered to a very grateful Pittsburgh team. A scramble on their final onside kick almost gave them a chance to win the game in the final two minutes of the second half. Ultimately, it was the Steelers who won the game in the final knockings of the first half.

Houston Texans – Performances of Note

Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB: +4.1

Breakdown: It still isn’t time for Ryan Mallett after Fitzpatrick put in another strong display in defeat for the Texans last night. Under duress for much of the night Fitzpatrick showed poise with some quality throws under pressure leading the Texans back to the brink of a comeback on their final drive.

Signature Stat: Pressured on 20 of his 37 dropbacks, Fitzpatrick earned a +3.2 passing grade on those plays completing 8 of 15 passes for 144 yards and one touchdown.

Chris Myers, C: -3.2

Breakdown: A tough night for Myers against a physical Steelers defensive line that got into him early and didn’t let up. He had his moments when he was able to use his athleticism to reach defensive linemen or work to the second level. Yet,all too often the Steelers’ linemen were able to get into him and bully him physically, particularly in pass protection.

Signature Stat: His six pressures surrendered last night are tied for a single game high in the last seven years (Week 16 vs Denver last season).

J.J. Watt, DE: +1.8

Breakdown: A quiet night by Watt’s lofty standards, at least in the second half where the Steelers did a good job of minimizing his impact after a busy first half. Five of Watt’s six pressures came in the first half and his second half also missed a pair of missed tackles behind the line of scrimmage. It speaks volumes of Watt’s standards that a five pressure, three stop night is a considered a “quiet” performance.

Signature Play: Exploited an opportunity to take on Kelvin Beachum one-on-one in space for his only sack in the game during the second quarter at 7:10, beating him to the inside. The Steelers didn’t repeat this mistake in the second half.

Pittsburgh Steelers – Performances of Note

Le’Veon Bell, RB: +3.5

Breakdown: Just another 155 all purpose yards from Bell last night on 20 touches. He forced five missed tackles in total last night and too often was able to simply beat the first wave of defenders and run into acres of space to extend simple plays into long gains.

Signature Play: Kick started the Steelers’ first field goal drive with a third down conversion in the second quarter with 5:42 left, comprehensively beating Brian Cushing out of the backfield in one-on-one coverage for a 43 yard gain.

Jason Worilds, OLB: +7.7

Breakdown: Going up against Derek Newton (-7.6) this season hasn’t been the free pass for pass rushers that it was last year but Worilds reminded us all of Newton’s early career form in a destructive display last night. No hits or sacks but Worilds racked up seven hurries on Ryan Fitzpatrick and added four stops in run defense for good measure.

Signature Play: At the first play after the two minute warning (Q4) Worilds drove Derek Newton back into Ryan Fitzpatrick as he threw.

Antonio Brown, WR: +2.6

Breakdown: What more can you say about Brown who at this point might be one of the most under-appreciated players in the league? He’s not the prototypical No. 1 wide receiver in terms of size and stature. However in terms of performance, he is absolutely among the league’s elite. Adding a touchdown pass for a bit of variety this week Brown picked up his customary catches and yards with style, particularly on his 30 yard gain to setup Shaun Suisham’s penultimate field goal.

Signature Stat: Stretching his streak of five catch and 50 yard games to 19 Brown also registered his 10th straight game with a positive PFF receiving grade.

PFF Game Ball

Another spectacular performance from Le’Veon Bell who supplemented a light workload in the ground game with impact plays as a receiver to keep the Steelers moving forward whenever he got the ball.

OK, here's my summary (hope it helps - seems most people are too depressed by this one to give many details...):

Game starts off really well for Texans. They score on the first three drives, Arian is playing incredible, defense stops Pittsburgh including Watt recovering a fumble, and they go up 13-0. All is looking good at this point, about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Steelers manage to put together a longer drive and get a FG - not a big deal, but they're clearly doing better than they were.
Texans go 3 and out. At this point, we're inside the 2 minute warning, so all is still looking OK. Now is when the disaster hits...

Steelers get a TD in just two plays (long passes). 13-10 now, but the Texans will get the ball back.

Manning fumbles the kickoff. Gets it back but the Texans are on their own 5 yard line. On second down, Arian fumbles the ball on the 2 yard line (not noticed until replay). Steelers take over and score a TD one play later. 13-17 now.

Texans get the ball back with about a minute to go. First play - tipped pass is intercepted and Steelers have the ball again inside the 10 yard line. 2 more plays and they have another TD - now it's 13-24 at halftime, which was all they needed. In that 2 minute period, they scored 21 points.

Second half starts with a 3-and-out by the Texans and just kind of moves along from there, with neither team playing spectacular. Texans manage to score a FG, but Steelers add 2 more (one of them after another fumble). Somewhere in there the Texans have the Steelers at 3rd down, and have 12 men on the field before the snap, giving them a 1st down. Right near the end, the Texans get another touchdown to bring it to 23-30. The final onside kick bounces around and is touched by lots of people, but Pittsburgh ends up with it, and that's the game.

dam. good stuff, thanks.

Saw this and thought it was a good game summary:

B0b7bhDCAAAvGmW.jpg

ok here we go: We start fast, we are ahead..oh crap! Oh crap more! Oh crap again and again once more. Then CRAP!! and finally..game over.

ok here we go: We start fast, we are ahead..oh crap! Oh crap more! Oh crap again and again once more. Then CRAP!! and finally..game over.

^^^^ yeah this pretty much says it all

The Texans have no heart, brains, or courage. Even the Wizard of Oz has given up on them. And as they proved last week, home isn't any better for these Dorothys.

Where does the "no heart" part come from? Please elaborate on that part, because I have not noticed a team with no heart this season. I've seen a team with a really bad QB and a few brain fart plays that have been game killers in the last 3 out of 4 games. I have not seen a team that is quitting or playing without any fight though. They've came back on the last 3 teams, but had a TO that would kill them in the end of the game every time. Great QB's usually pull those types of games out. Poor QB's usually don't. It hasn't been all Fitz's fault though. Blame goes around, but he is essentially the major problem that is causing the win/loss record to be below 500.

Where does the "no heart" part come from? Please elaborate on that part, because I have not noticed a team with no heart this season. I've seen a team with a really bad QB and a few brain fart plays that have been game killers in the last 3 out of 4 games. I have not seen a team that is quitting or playing without any fight though. They've came back on the last 3 teams, but had a TO that would kill them in the end of the game every time. Great QB's usually pull those types of games out. Poor QB's usually don't. It hasn't been all Fitz's fault though. Blame goes around, but he is essentially the major problem that is causing the win/loss record to be below 500.

Thank you! You summed up this season very well. I have been impressed with the fact that they have stayed in and put up a good fight until the very end. It does not seem anyone has checked out like we saw last season. I like the new coaching staff and I think it will take time for everyone to gel. Of course, I, like everyone else here, wish we were winning more and not making stupid mistakes that cost games. But I applaud the team for fighting hard until the end.

I wish our record was better, but we are about where I expected us to be at the beginning of the season. I think we came out strong and a lot of people started seeing playoffs right away. Now they feel let down.

It was basically the same type meltdown as the Rosencopter debacle.

But I called this one the Fitzswaggtrick Event.

So it was pretty much like so many other Texans games. If the games were a movie the reviews would read

"I laughed, I cried, I was at the edge of my seat and in the ending was typical Texan'

So, I really came here to say (light-heartedly) that right now, I feel like the Texans are the real-world version of the Washington Sentinels. Especially the quicksand.

But after reading some of the last few posts in this thread, I have to ask, why is Fitzpatrick getting so much hate? I would say Schaub played worse than what Fitzpatrick has, but Schaub would get all kinds of love and talk about how great he can be. And any excuse would be used to justify when he would mess up.

At least Fitzpatrick has a real reason for where his team is right now. Like it or not, he's still new to the team. He's still developing chemistry with the offense. And, most importantly, the entire offense is still learning the new offensive scheme.

Anyone who thought that this year would be insta-success after the coaching turnover from last year was fooling themselves. It's why I understood where AJ was coming from when he expressed his frustration with the organization this off-seaon. No, it's not a rebuilding year, but it is a learning/gel'ing year. If we have these same issues in the last 4 games of the year, and at all next year, then we have issues.

I'm not saying we'll win-out in the last 4 games, but they should be competitive games, not a comedy of errors and disbelief.

You left out the part where we held the Steelers to 6 (yes only SIX) 2nd half points and scored ten ourselves.

I think that's what's the most frustrating for me. If we absolutely sucked, I'd say "oh well, rebuilding year"...

but nooooo...
the bastards play well enough in stretches to make me think if they just stopped shooting themselves in the foot we could be AT LEAST as good as Cincy or KC or Buffalo... probably better
:toropalm:

That's probably why O'Brien has these "WTF" looks on his face every week.

You left out the part where we held the Steelers to 6 (yes only SIX) 2nd half points and scored ten ourselves.

I think that's what's the most frustrating for me. If we absolutely sucked, I'd say "oh well, rebuilding year"...

but nooooo...
the bastards play well enough in stretches to make me think if they just stopped shooting themselves in the foot we could be AT LEAST as good as Cincy or KC or Buffalo... probably better
:toropalm:

That's probably why O'Brien has these "WTF" looks on his face every week.

Yeah it's definitely the most frustrating part. We seem to hold really good teams down (Dallas to 20 is pretty damn good). We just make stupid mistakes that kill us. Some are playcalling (3rd and 2 on Dallas), but the majority are mental errors.

Thank you! You summed up this season very well. I have been impressed with the fact that they have stayed in and put up a good fight until the very end. It does not seem anyone has checked out like we saw last season. I like the new coaching staff and I think it will take time for everyone to gel. Of course, I, like everyone else here, wish we were winning more and not making stupid mistakes that cost games. But I applaud the team for fighting hard until the end.

I don't know why I'm seeing the same crap we saw last year. How many games did we lose by seven or less? This is the exact same crap we saw last year. This team is mentally weak. They need to stop waiting for things to go their way & make their own luck.

They're almost a good team. They just haven't figured it o ut yet.

Anyone who thought that this year would be insta-success after the coaching turnover from last year was fooling themselves.

It's funny... when McNair said the team wasn't ready in 2010 because it was too much turmoil, "we" laughed & criticized him for thinking that way. What with all the success Harbaugh & whatever other new coach was having at that time.

Now it's all, "What did you expect if you changed the head coach & bring in a new system."

The Chiefs' 11-5 didn't make them "good" they lost to the Titans in week 1, at home. They are no better than we are.

But I bet Andy Reid feels a whole lot better knowing they were 11-5 last season instead of 2-14.

I bet Jamaal Charles feels better about being 11-5 last season instead of 2-14.

Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers, & Derrick Johnson feel better about being 11-5 last season instead of 2-14.

& they all came into this season focused & ready to repeat... to prove that they are one of the better teams in this league, to try to win a Super Bowl.

& that's where I want to be next season. I want Andre to feel good about what he's doing, I want him to believe that he can win it all next season, or the season after. 6-10 doesn't do that. 6-10 makes it hard for Jj Watt to do what he's doing again. 6-10 won't get you quality free agents without overpaying.

& the real stinker, even after finishing 11-5, the Chiefs still could have got Bridgewater is they wanted. Same for us... if we finish 9-7, we'll have an opportunity to get a promising young QB, if we're not happy with the one we've got now.

Back