Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I guarentee a victory vs. Indy Sunday

I'm obviously a big fan of the Houston Texans, and have been since year one. I know this football team. Those of you that have read my posts know that I am, for the most part, an optimisitc fan.

Now, this year could defintely be better. But, we are a better team than our record shows. We fight hard with emotion, we are a smart football team, have talent and coaching, just need to make bigger plays at bigger times.

I also know when this team is ready to play, and pumped up. They are ready to take of the Colts this upcoming Sunday in the RCA Dome. We are mad that nobody is giving us a chance to even come close. We're a 17.5 point underdog. Lets face it: this game, the pressure is on them, not us...we really have nothing to loose this game.

I guareente we beat the Indianapolis Colts this Sunday, giving us our second win, and them they're first loss of the 2005 season. We will win this game, mark it down. I promise.

:texflag:

I hate to shoot down your Miss Cleo career so early, but I don't think I'll put any money down on your prediction just yet....

Although knocking them from their dreams of going undefeated would almost make up for how terrible this team has been the rest of the season.

The Colts aren't facing any pressure since nobody is challenging them for the division. The pressure is on us to not get embarrassed.

I cant remember the last time i saw ANY team listed as a 17 1/2 point dog in the NFL .... That just doesnt happen . :pigfly: The Texans may not win this game but they sure as hell WILL cover that 17 1/2 ....

Guarantees always come with an "or what?". :confused:

So you guarantee the win Sunday against the Colts....or what? Seriously, we've got to have your "or what" in order to hold you accountable. :D

See, if they win, you'll be considered the most optimistic football fan this side of the Mississippi River. Accolades and awards will be bestowed upon you, women will name their newborn children after you, and we might even retire your number at our next halftime ceremony (pick your number, any number 1-99)...

BUT, you've got to have a "what if" so we can come in after the game and hold you accountable for your guarantee.

So, maybe you'll need to promise to wear the pink soap avatar for a week, or something equally NON-optimistic, my glass half-full friend.... :hmmm:

keyfro said:
man i dunno...this could be the worst lose in team history

To me the worst loss was last year to Cleveland. Obviously not worst loss by point margin but by what was on the line. Had the opportunity to be an 8-8 team with a victory at home and Cleveland had nothing to play for and punked us.

corrosion said:
I cant remember the last time i saw ANY team listed as a 17 1/2 point dog in the NFL .... That just doesnt happen . :pigfly: The Texans may not win this game but they sure as hell WILL cover that 17 1/2 ....
Hell, the Pats were almost 17 point dogs in the superbowl with the Rams.

The only bet I ever made, it paid off big.

I'm not quite sure what team this person has been watching, because it sure isn't the Texans he is decribing. That is a huge number, but if I were to place a bet, I would take the Colts and lay the points at home. I think they win by 20-30.

I guarantee you I will be shocked as hell if the Texans win this game. I will back up my guarantee by vowing to eat an entire can of lima beans if a miracle occurs and the Texans win. I'll eat one lima bean if the Texans are competitive.

corrosion said:

Dude, we lost to them 38-20 at home this year. Last year we lost 49-14 in Indianapolis. Doesn't look exactly like a sure bet we'll cover the spread. I actually think they'll come out more ready to play us at home since I feel they were embarrassed to go into half tied with us this year.

In Indy, Colts flying high, Mathis and Freeney at the DE positions, Edge wanting to pad is stats for his contract, same with Wayne. We may be down 28-0 before we even get a first down.

At least we may see a lot of Jerome Mathis!!!

I wanna hear his "or what" this is interesting. By the way Vinny. They do have something on the line. A chance to be the 2nd undefeated team the NFL has seen.

Texas said:
I wanna hear his "or what" this is interesting. By the way Vinny. They do have something on the line. A chance to be the 2nd undefeated team the NFL has seen.
I bet you they arent worried about that. They have the playoff spot and homefield almost locked up for good. All they are worring about is not losing a major part of the team in the next 8 weeks (that sounds ridiculous). They are on cruise control like no other team in the NFL right now.

Now when they are 14-0, they may start thinking about it...

Double Barrel said:
Guarantees always come with an "or what?". :confused:

So you guarantee the win Sunday against the Colts....or what? Seriously, we've got to have your "or what" in order to hold you accountable. :D

See, if they win, you'll be considered the most optimistic football fan this side of the Mississippi River. Accolades and awards will be bestowed upon you, women will name their newborn children after you, and we might even retire your number at our next halftime ceremony (pick your number, any number 1-99)...

BUT, you've got to have a "what if" so we can come in after the game and hold you accountable for your guarantee.

So, maybe you'll need to promise to wear the pink soap avatar for a week, or something equally NON-optimistic, my glass half-full friend.... :hmmm:
His or what will be everything that is opposite of if they win. Plain and simple. If they win he told us so, if we lose...it figures.

Actually he beat me to the thread. I was going to post that this is going to be the best upset in league history.

I still can't believe the attitude around here. Our team doesn't share the same "we're gonna lose" attitude as some of the fans on this board. Maybe this explains why a Super Bowl Championship has never had Houston's name on it.:challenge

The only thing I can guarantee about the game is that the Colts will be MORE than prepared for the Texans!! They have not been sitting around watching "The Longest Yard" or spending time with their wives, girlfriends/boyfriends:heh: They have been preparing to kick our TEXAN butts all over Indy!! The only way the Texans stand a chance is for Manning, Edge, and Harrison to get hurt on the first play! Ain't gonna happen. Besides, Dungy is a great guy, he will not let them blow us away. He will be playing his practice squad (if he could) by the second half.

Sometimes reality stinks!!

With Riley back on the line, we are a long ways from winning. A loooooooong ways from winning. You'd be better off putting your money on the Clippers to win it all this year.

El Tejano said:
I still can't believe the attitude around here. Our team doesn't share the same "we're gonna lose" attitude as some of the fans on this board. Maybe this explains why a Super Bowl Championship has never had Houston's name on it.:challenge

C'mon, now, you know we're just having fun. :ok:

Do you honestly think that fans actually have any influence over winning / losing? Do you believe, for an instant, that some kind of cosmic karma leaps from the hope and love of fans down to the field?

Superbowl Championships never had Houston's name on it because there were always better teams that beat the Oilers. Plain and simple. Nothing more, nothing less.

And it seems to me that either fans are realistic (but called "negative"), or delusional (called "positive") around here. :confused:

Why can't it simply be that we all HOPE they win, but know that the reality of a 1-7 dog team vs. an 8-0 elite team will end in the same results 99.9% of the time?

I'm amazed at the extremes. Like moderate thinking is lost concept. idonno:

Double Barrel said:
Superbowl Championships never had Houston's name on it because there were always better teams that beat the Oilers.
And cause the curse of the Dome/Astroturf :D

That's why the Astros dont have a World Series...

Fiddy said:
And cause the curse of the Dome/Astroturf :D

That's why the Astros dont have a World Series...

That's why I fully support the imploded demolition of the Astrodome asap. No nostalgia, no historical significance BS, just get rid of that freakin' bad karma just 50 yards away from our nice, pretty stadium :D

About the Astros...notice they had their true success AFTER leaving the 'dome?! Three postseason series won and a trip to the World Series in the past two years, which is more success than the previous 42 years combined!!

Coincidence?! I think not!* ;)

(*disclaimer: obvious sarcasm intended)

Double Barrel said:
That's why I fully support the imploded demolition of the Astrodome asap. No nostalgia, no historical significance BS, just get rid of that freakin' bad karma just 50 yards away from our nice, pretty stadium :D

Paint it up in John Deere Green. See if anyone notices.....

TxDavid said:
Paint it up in John Deere Green. See if anyone notices.....
Now we're talking. We can start dressing it up like the gold dome of the WAMU bank off Buffalo Speedway and 59 only MUCH bigger. For each home game we paint it with the Toro images crushing the opponents like the opening video sequence at the games. As they fly in, they see the images and get scared... Or we build a time-machine out of a Delorean and go back to the beginning of our franchise and choose a coach with an actual winning record to lead them. Oh, how'd I digress from such a wonderful original idea, I'm sorry.

Double Barrel said:
Do you honestly think that fans actually have any influence over winning / losing?

absolutely.
watch Indy at home (like duh, you will be this weekend) and listen to the crowd and how they work with the team.
watch UK (college basketball) and see how the crowd feeds the team to excel at Rupp. the 12th man is very important to a home game. if the stadium were filled with Texans every home game and made noise at the right times, it'd be very hard for anybody to walk away with a victory.

I'm very aware of the power of the 12th man as it relates to homefield advantage and defensive stands. It's what the Texans Demolition Crew is all about! (we're hoarse after every home game, regardless if we win or lose. Making noise for the enemy offense is what we live for!) :thumbup

However, that being said, I don't think our brainwaves or magic karma directly translate into on-field performance. (Otherwise, the Astros would have won at least ONE WS game! ;) ).

sure it does, if the players appreciate their fans. when you've got 30some thousand people cheerin' their guts out for you, it drives you to play harder for 'em, to keep 'em screamin'. there's an adrenaline rush that comes with it that helps you step up your game, that causes more of the cheerin', that feeds the adrenaline, and so on so on. i've been to enough Wildcat games to see this work. players feed off that stuff.

get that stadium filled and your Texans could very well be a serious contender... if that O-Line could get its act together.

KYColtsFan said:
get that stadium filled and your Texans could very well be a serious contender... if that O-Line could get its act together.
Full stadiums do not improve your talent. This sounds nice and stuff but the fans don't have too much ability to improve a bad team.

Vinny said:
Full stadiums do not improve your talent. This sounds nice and stuff but the fans don't have too much ability to improve a bad team.
No, fans dont improve talent, but they improve records. There is a reason its called "home field advanage", you know?

Double Barrel said:
C'mon, now, you know we're just having fun. :ok:

Do you honestly think that fans actually have any influence over winning / losing? Do you believe, for an instant, that some kind of cosmic karma leaps from the hope and love of fans down to the field?

Superbowl Championships never had Houston's name on it because there were always better teams that beat the Oilers. Plain and simple. Nothing more, nothing less.

And it seems to me that either fans are realistic (but called "negative"), or delusional (called "positive") around here. :confused:

Why can't it simply be that we all HOPE they win, but know that the reality of a 1-7 dog team vs. an 8-0 elite team will end in the same results 99.9% of the time?

I'm amazed at the extremes. Like moderate thinking is lost concept. idonno:

Please tell me how the Colts are an elite team? The teams that they have beaten this season so far have not been in the top ten. The Pats are #12 and their hurting bad. Indy hasn't proven anything. Hell, yeah their good...for now, but it doesn't mean their unstoppable. You have nothing to feel embarssed about...they do. Their day will come and it will be soon.

Vinny said:

you're missin' the whole point.
it won't improve talent, but it'll make the guys play harder, and make more use of the their abilities. most of your skill positions are great players. the only problems i've seen in the Texans is the coachin' staff and the offensive line... everything else is there. if the stadium (whatever it's called) were full of rowdy fans week in and week out, instead of half empty and those that are there wearin' bags, then your team would play a lot harder.

Double Barrel said:
Do you believe, for an instant, that some kind of cosmic karma leaps from the hope and love of fans down to the field?

Well, I guess stuff like "god willing" answers that question ;)

corrosion said:

I think this is what the oddsmakers do and how they see all the games.
They look at the first meeting of our teams (Played in Houston). They see we won by 17/18 points and figure, "O.K., Colts win on the road in Houston by this amount of points, now we focus on the same two teams played in Indy. We spot the Colts 14 points plus we add the already given 3 point spread to the home team and that totals to 17 points."
Thats the only way I see how their minds work. Other than that, I feel the point spread is too much and so does espn picks for week 10. I believe they have houston accross the board except one Colt prediction not to cover the spread. Reality tells us that a 17 point spread is too much given how well Houston plays us year in and year out. I feel we will win but at most, by 9 points. We just have to stay focused which I think Dungy has been preaching all week because this is a divisional game and not an ordinary out of division game. We could have lost to the Patsies and it would have made little difference for our quest to go to Detroit. But that game was a Pride game and a big Hump game and sparked alot of confidence for our boys in blue. Now we come to a much more important game.....Divisional Rivals. These are games we need to win to stay atop for the number one seed.
Good luck Sunday. You fans are the greatest!

Fiddy said:
In Indy, Colts flying high, Mathis and Freeney at the DE positions, Edge wanting to pad is stats for his contract, same with Wayne. We may be down 28-0 before we even get a first down.

At least we may see a lot of Jerome Mathis!!!

Agreed :)

TexansAllTheWayBaby said:
I'm obviously a big fan of the Houston Texans, and have been since year one. I know this football team. Those of you that have read my posts know that I am, for the most part, an optimisitc fan.

Now, this year could defintely be better. But, we are a better team than our record shows. We fight hard with emotion, we are a smart football team, have talent and coaching, just need to make bigger plays at bigger times.

I also know when this team is ready to play, and pumped up. They are ready to take of the Colts this upcoming Sunday in the RCA Dome. We are mad that nobody is giving us a chance to even come close. We're a 17.5 point underdog. Lets face it: this game, the pressure is on them, not us...we really have nothing to loose this game.

I guareente we beat the Indianapolis Colts this Sunday, giving us our second win, and them they're first loss of the 2005 season. We will win this game, mark it down. I promise.

I want some of that crack you are smoking! I think we will beat the spread though...

KYColtsFan said:
you're missin' the whole point.
it won't improve talent, but it'll make the guys play harder, and make more use of the their abilities. most of your skill positions are great players. the only problems i've seen in the Texans is the coachin' staff and the offensive line... everything else is there. if the stadium (whatever it's called) were full of rowdy fans week in and week out, instead of half empty and those that are there wearin' bags, then your team would play a lot harder.

Well, good teams will be inspired to play harder by crowd noise, but teams that lack chemistry won't be inspired by anything.

Case in point was the last game of the season last year against Cleveland. The stadium was PACKED with fans hoping to see our first 8-8 season. The team had played a pretty good season overall, and this would be historic chance for the franchise to go into an off-season without a losing record.

Guess what....they played flat in spite of 70,000 fans screaming their heads off and hoping for the win.

I'm not underestimating the power of a home-field advantage. Football is probably the only sport where the collective power of fans can directly influence play on the field (both by inspiration, and by disrupting the opposing team's offensive organization - ie. false starts, failed audibles from crowd noise, costly time outs).

But like Vinny said, no amount of fans can improve the talent and leadership of the team itself.

why do i feel like a lone Texan fan here?

they seemed to play as a team pretty well the first time we met down yonder. the talent is there, they just need a head coach that can bring it together, and fans to stand behind them reguardless of the W/L record. there are some of ya, but i watch highlights on SportCenter and the stadium is half full. that's not good team support. they're not gonna try if they have no reason to... they get paid reguardless.

The Indianapolis Colts are a very tough football team this year obviously. There 8-0 record supports that.

We're going through a rather sluggish time period currently, behind a 1-7 record.

However, i strongly belive this team is better than their record shows. I've said it before, and i still do- we fight hard (both mentally and physically), we are a smart team, have talent, and good leadership witihin the coaches.

We're going to go in the RCA Dome and defeat the Colts Today. We will win

Go Texans:texflag:

TexansAllTheWayBaby said:

Wish I would have read this earlier so I could have made a bet with you.

KYColtsFan said:
why do i feel like a lone Texan fan here?

they seemed to play as a team pretty well the first time we met down yonder. the talent is there, they just need a head coach that can bring it together, and fans to stand behind them reguardless of the W/L record. there are some of ya, but i watch highlights on SportCenter and the stadium is half full. that's not good team support. they're not gonna try if they have no reason to... they get paid reguardless.

Alright, that's two tags. I let the first one slide, but not the second. Tell me this, KY - how packed was the Colts stadium in the '84 through '94 seasons where you had some up and down times (mostly down) for those first 3 out of 10 winning seasons in Indy? I'l let ya know - about an avg of 54,000. Flip side, the Texans have been averaging about 69,000 while supporting an expansion / now 1-8 team.

Understandable you have a smaller market - but regardless of the market, you're telling me fans (in general) will support a team with issues? True - the die hards will and that's a given anywhere and in any sport, but it's not till you start seeing the wins and a better product that the other "bw fans" come out of the woodwork.

I guess my point is... it's not just a Houston thing with the fan base "supporting regardless of W/L record", and if you didn't mean it like that, apologies.

Colts at wikipedia
Colts attendance
Texans attendance

A4toZ said:
Tell me this, KY - how packed was the Colts stadium in the '84 through '94 seasons where you had some up and down times (mostly down) for those first 3 out of 10 winning seasons in Indy? I'l let ya know - about an avg of 54,000. Flip side, the Texans have been averaging about 69,000 while supporting an expansion / now 1-8 team.

Colts at wikipedia
Colts attendance
Texans attendance

Not trying to get into this argument, but the RCA dome only seats 57,000-58,000...not the 70K that Reliant has.

http://www.gotickets.com/seating_charts/rca_dome_in_seating_chart.php

Understandable, so a 93% capcity filled vs. a 99% capacity filled is a more applicable statemtent?

Bah, just testy after another loss and to see a post of "why aren't y'all supporting your team through the tough times" just rubbed me the wrong way.

Good game Colts, this just may be your year now that the Pats are "out of the way" .... to this point anyway.

Back