Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

HPF:Buchanon,the olive branch

Wolf

100% Texan
wow, not sure how to take this. got to re-read it.

October 18, 2006
Buchanon, the Olive Branch
by Keith Weiland
HoustonProFootball.com

The Texans released Phillip Buchanon on Monday for you, Texans fans. Consider it an olive branch, plucked from the gardens of Reliant Park and hand delivered straight to you.

Gift wrapped from general manager Rick Smith and head coach Gary Kubiak, they offered us Buchanon’s head on a stick, pimento-style. They must truly be sorry for screwing up again. They must have really known how important it was to us as Texans fans that they beat the Cowboys. Lose the rest, we fans are prone to say boastfully, just beat Jerrah, America’s Most Wanted, and their freaking bandwagon fans still crying over the Yankees’ latest playoff failure.

So they offered us Buchanon.

We are so very sorry, they reminded us on Monday. Please forgive us.

They knew how much we liked to kick around Buchanon, the one many of us called “P-Burnt”, “P-Bust”, and a whole host of other P-words even I can’t type in this column since my mother might read it one day.

But Rick and Gary, I’m on to you guys. I know you’re sending us a message encoded within the leaves of that olive branch. I know you two just wanted to send us a little reminder along with it.

Well, you know what, Rick and Gary? Releasing another bust from the Capers-Casserly era isn’t going to cut it this time. You can cut your Casserly rejects all you want to remind us that this 1-4 start says a hell of a lot more about how much you were caught carrying the bag of Toro poop when Bob McNair hired you guys and nothing about the job you’ve done with the guys you handpicked to fix this mess.

Oh so much dead money around here, you reminded us on Monday. Messy, messy.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout139.html

YEP, that was still a rip on the team.. and I admit it is painful on Sundays again but I know it takes time to clean house. (well heck we have pretty much taken a bulldozer and scraped the foundation.)

YEP, that was still a rip on the team.. and I admit it is painful on Sundays again but I know it takes time to clean house. (well heck we have pretty much taken a bulldozer and scraped the foundation.)

I think the foundation might be cracked. We should fix it with Atlas, and fix it for good.

Patience is a virtue.. and is apparently a very rare commodity with our fans.

It is quickly reaching that point where many Texans fans are gonna have to decide if they are here for the long haul..to support the team until all the pieces are in place.. or if they are gonna give up football, or move on to a different team.

Whichever the fans decide on, I look forward to a sharp decrease in worthless, inflammatory, sarcasm ridden articles.

It is quickly reaching that point where many Texans fans are gonna have to decide if they are here for the long haul..to support the team until all the pieces are in place.. or if they are gonna give up football, or move on to a different team.

Whichever the fans decide on, I look forward to a sharp decrease in worthless, inflammatory, sarcasm ridden articles.

Amen Brotha'

If you are from Houston, you know how the majority of the so called fans are. When we have a winning team, EVERYBODY is a fan. WOOHOO!!! But when it gets rough, Where are they? Many people can't even name two people on the team. Carr is the only one they may know. What really gets annoying is when people who don't know jack about sports start talking about the texans like they watch the team. All they can say is the team sucks, Carr is no good, etc. Then you ask them something about football or a certain player and they are like what? who? All they know is what the hear on the news. Texans lost. Then they think they are experts. It the same way with any other major team Houston has. Astros and Rockets are perfect examples. When The Astros won last year and made it the world series, everyone was a fan. They couldn't name 10 players on the team with looking at the starting line up, but WOOOHOOO!!! GO ASTROS!!!! This year, the same people are saying they suck and all the astros have is Lidge!!! WHAT!!! Rockets, Same thing!!! You know, If you are a fan, be a fan, don't sound like an ***** who thinks they know something!!!

yep. :howdy:

I'm in it for the long haul, so patience is not even a question, it's a requirement.

BUT, I'm showing my displeasure by boycotting these marketing ploys like 'battle red day'. I'll still go to all the games, renew my tickets and all that jazz, but I just won't be spending the money to support ineffective marketing gimmicks. My custom liberty white jersey will proudly shine through all that red in the stands, and that's my statement of protest.

Gary Walker. Todd Wade. Robaire Smith. Marcus Coleman. Dave Ragone. Seth Wand. Bennie Joppru. Buchanon. Must I continue? We get it. You're hemorrhaging dead money from players for whom you aren't responsible. We know. Enough already.

from the article.

I don't remember the contract details but would McKinney and Weigart fit the bill of being cut and having more "dead money"? ( almost wonder if they are next)

yep. :howdy:

I'm in it for the long haul, so patience is not even a question, it's a requirement.

BUT, I'm showing my displeasure by boycotting these marketing ploys like 'battle red day'. I'll still go to all the games, renew my tickets and all that jazz, but I just won't be spending the money to support ineffective marketing gimmicks. My custom liberty white jersey will proudly shine through all that red in the stands, and that's my statement of protest.

You don't have to buy a red jersey, but please wear red. It matters. It is part of making a bunch of random individuals in the stand a part of the team.

This is what Byron Leftwich says about it: “It’s a tough stadium to play in because you know they’re going to want to win their football game. Anytime you play on the road and the way the stadium’s built it kind of makes it loud. Are they wearing red this week? It seems like every time they wear their red that makes the fans more excited. We’ve been in there before. We’ve been in there before and we understand what to expect. We’ve got to make sure we’re ready to play.”

(dont have a link yet)

Besides the white ruins the picture. My favorite all time picture of Reliant is the fisheye picture of the whole stadium being red.

And besides there may be something scientific to it and not just marketing. Teams that wear red win more. The Texans are 3-2 in Red. The color red could not combat Pendry.

:redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel:

You know what ... I completely agree .... except with the part about the "sharp decrease in ..... sarcasm ridden articles" ..... there are people on this message board, some new members, some more established members, that are more comfortable posting negativity ...... :twocents:

If you are from Houston, you know how the majority of the so called fans are. When we have a winning team, EVERYBODY is a fan. WOOHOO!!! But when it gets rough, Where are they? Many people can't even name two people on the team. Carr is the only one they may know. What really gets annoying is when people who don't know jack about sports start talking about the texans like they watch the team. All they can say is the team sucks, Carr is no good, etc. Then you ask them something about football or a certain player and they are like what? who? All they know is what the hear on the news. Texans lost. Then they think they are experts. It the same way with any other major team Houston has. Astros and Rockets are perfect examples. When The Astros won last year and made it the world series, everyone was a fan. They couldn't name 10 players on the team with looking at the starting line up, but WOOOHOOO!!! GO ASTROS!!!! This year, the same people are saying they suck and all the astros have is Lidge!!! WHAT!!! Rockets, Same thing!!! You know, If you are a fan, be a fan, don't sound like an ***** who thinks they know something!!!

I totally have to agree..I am a Texans/Astros/Rockets fan and have been for many many years. I live in Canada and probably know more about the players, stats, and all that than what most people in Houston do...just because they loose doesn't mean that Im not gonna follow.

If you are from Houston, you know how the majority of the so called fans are. When we have a winning team, EVERYBODY is a fan. WOOHOO!!! But when it gets rough, Where are they?

When were we ever a winning team? Despite going on our 5th consecutive losing season, this website is and always has been full of Texans fans. Keep in mind that the fans here only represent a fraction of the Texans fans. Our entire existence has been a "tough time".

When were we ever a winning team? Despite going on our 5th consecutive losing season, this website is and always has been full of Texans fans. Keep in mind that the fans here only represent a fraction of the Texans fans. Our entire existence has been a "tough time".

I believe he's referring to any Houston team (Rockets, Astros, Texans, Comets, Aeros, etc.) not just the Texans.

Some of the fans need to reach WAY back. I remember going to some of the final Oiler games when nothing mattered. I'm not going anywhere. I remember Houston without football. I think almost making it several times and screwing up is much worse then losing a bunch of games till you get it turned around. I remember one Oiler/Buffalo game in particular. Sooner or later the tide will turn. I've seen lots of really crappy teams turn into playoff teams. So have many of you...

We have won 3 of the last 21 games. It would be almost impossible to get any worse than it is now. I think the people here now are the loyal die hards. Let the Texans win 12 or 13 games or make the playoffs, and you'll see a ton of new ''fans'' show up. Both around town and on these boards.

I'm here for the long haul :redtowel: - even though the Texans are my #2 team. I really like the loyalty of the Texans fans, and I think that they will turn it around and become a very good team. It just takes time. The Steelers were absolutely terrible the first 11 years of their existence, looks like they are OK now!

We have won 3 of the last 21 games. It would be almost impossible to get any worse than it is now. I think the people here now are the loyal die hards. Let the Texans win 12 or 13 games or make the playoffs, and you'll see a ton of new ''fans'' show up. Both around town and on these boards.

I was an Oiler fan when they had gone 2-26 over a 2 year period and 9-45-2 over a 4 year period and I don't know if all that was as hard as some of the playoff losses. The past year and a bit hasn't been good but it could be a LOT worse than it is now. We've come through a brutal part of our schedule now let's hope that the team's still got some heart left and can start putting things together for the rest of the season.

Let's just try to stay positive and give them some support. It's not like they're trying to be losers. Let's give Kubes some time to work into this whole head coach thing. Belichick wasn't a winner from the very start. Kubes has already improved Carr's play (until last week.)

I live in Dallas area, and danged if that doesn't sound like Dallas Cowboys fans...your team sucks cuz we won...but they can name ONLY players mentioned on TV/Radio or in papers...Texans fans do you REALLY like being compared to worst fairweather fans (I watched tape of Sunday saw Cowboys fans leaving at halftime with score 6-3). When Cowboys miss playoffs this season, watch how many scream for a change...they only want winners in Dallas.

I was on this board in 2005 season, hell yes got depressing watch us take lead into 4th quarter only to watch us end up losing the game. I am still here and still a Texans fan, as I see it boys & girls you got 2 choices

1) stay and fight and work
2) run north to Cowgirls and plead undying allegience until Texans make playoffs

TEXANS DON'T RUN!!!!!, Hundreds of sorry Cowgirls fans being chased by 1 crazed Texans fan DO:redtowel:

TEXANS DON'T RUN!!!!!, Hundreds of sorry Cowgirls fans being chased by 1 crazed Texans fan DO:redtowel:

At Texas Stadium on Sunday, I was met with jeers of "1 and 15! 1 and 15!" because I was wearing my Domanick Davis jersey.

Me, and several other Texan fans who happened to be in the area, answered back with "19 to 10! 19 to 10!" It was great fun.

It was fun hearing the fans calling for Romo during Dallas' second offensive series. A bunch of Cowgirl fans near us did leave at halftime.

But we stayed through the last play jeering our boys on.

And afterwards there were only a couple of "how do you like THAT score" fans, I had several "good games" and hand shakes. It was a really good time.

there's one more branch to prune and it's at the top of the tree. David Carr is not a starter in this league. Last year they had to give him special plays to avoid getting smashed. So he threw sideline passes for 3 yards all year. This year they figure everyone will blitz Dave, then the Cowboys drop back in coverage all game. After halftime Dave and the gang kept throwing the same up and out and he got picked. Big surprise. David Carr is not spontaneous, smart, creative whatever. It drives people nuts. He's is NOT A PLAYMAKER. PLAYMAKERS THINK ON THE FLY. WHEN JOHN ELWAY RUSHES ALL GAME THEN TEASES WITH A RUSH AND THROWS OVER THE ATTACKING SAFTY'S HEAD, JOHN ELWAY IS PLAY MAKING. WHEN CARSON PALMER CHECKS OFF THAT COVERED UP AND OUT AND GOES DEEP TO HIS THIRD RECEIVER, CARSON PALMER IS PLAYMAKING.

If we put sensors on David Carr's brain during the game, it would be flatlining.

Dude - wake up. Its one thing to have a critical home town fans rip their own organization - but when fans of other teams and national media make it a point to rip your organization - you know things are bad.

Look, I like the new staff, but the bottom line is the Texans ogrinzation is in a huge mess and it sux. Let the fans vent - they are paying for the tickets, parking, food, etc. - and they are getting ripped off. They have a right to be angry.

I'm in it for the long haul!
I felt sick allday Sunday and Monday..just like the rest of y'all.
So I did a little reserch...just looking at the teams with 5 Rings..

It took Dallas 10 yrs to make a Superbowl and 11 to win one.
It took Pittsburg around 41 years to finally win one...and the
49ers ..30 something years.

Not saying I want to wait more than 5 yrs...but we as fans..got to chill.

As far as the Rockets...we've gone to the promise land twice, so I see more diehards when it comes to them.
Astros...we'll that's a different story. If they could start strong..thru the Allstar break, then reach the playoffs without help from teams losing, more ppl around Houston might take them serouisly.

Now we have the Dynamo, and their legit.....I expect them to light a fire for Houston's fan base.
Go DYNAMO!!!

Simply put I don't jump sinking ships...hell I bet my Elvin Bethea avatar we would beat the Cowpokes. I know it was a little homerish, but I believe in this team each and every week. All I preach is that they can go 60 minutes and show some semblance of a running game.

Please put this post into the Hall of Fame. Well said!

there's one more branch to prune and it's at the top of the tree. David Carr is not a starter in this league. Last year they had to give him special plays to avoid getting smashed. So he threw sideline passes for 3 yards all year. This year they figure everyone will blitz Dave, then the Cowboys drop back in coverage all game. After halftime Dave and the gang kept throwing the same up and out and he got picked. Big surprise. David Carr is not spontaneous, smart, creative whatever. It drives people nuts. He's is NOT A PLAYMAKER. PLAYMAKERS THINK ON THE FLY. WHEN JOHN ELWAY RUSHES ALL GAME THEN TEASES WITH A RUSH AND THROWS OVER THE ATTACKING SAFTY'S HEAD, JOHN ELWAY IS PLAY MAKING. WHEN CARSON PALMER CHECKS OFF THAT COVERED UP AND OUT AND GOES DEEP TO HIS THIRD RECEIVER, CARSON PALMER IS PLAYMAKING.

If we put sensors on David Carr's brain during the game, it would be flatlining.

WOW....how does every thread turn into "it's David Carr's fault"??????????

Really? I think the Houston fans are some of the best around. Have you ever watched a Philly game - or even Dallas for that matter. Dallas was booing Bledsoe in the 1st quarter.

You guys need to give the 'Houston Fans Stink' arguement a rest.

Thats just plain wrong and stupid.

Please define long haul. It has been 4 years & 5 games. Coaches are new but a lot of team still here.

Some of the fans need to reach WAY back. I remember going to some of the final Oiler games when nothing mattered. I'm not going anywhere. I remember Houston without football. I think almost making it several times and screwing up is much worse then losing a bunch of games till you get it turned around. I remember one Oiler/Buffalo game in particular. Sooner or later the tide will turn. I've seen lots of really crappy teams turn into playoff teams. So have many of you...

True The Texans might kick you in the nads but at least they don't tickle them first.

Back