Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

how would you do the bcs championship?

keyfro

Veteran
i know it's only may but just curious with all the problems with the bcs championship system how would you do it?

personally i like the way it is now but i would make every conference have a championship game and a team has to win their championship game to move onto the bcs championship game...if that was in place last year it would have been usc vs lsu and lsu would have pulled out a close won over usc in my mind

I totally agree that all conferences should have a championship game. I would also disclude Sagarin rankings in figuring out the bowl rankings. I hate that damn computer system he has.

The main problem I have with the current system is when we end up with two teams number one. There should be some sort of game to decide it. Having played all those games all year just to have to share the national championship seems like a real slight on the accomplishment.

Leave the bowl games intact, then add a BCS Bowl playoff to settle matters.
Two extra big time games with revenue from lucrative televison contracts used as a stipend to College Football players around the country. Win :spot: Win

How would I do the bcs championship? I would get rid of it, and go to a playoff. Keep some of the bowl games for the teams that don't make the tourny, and take the top 8 (no matter what conference they are in) and have a playoff. I bet the money that would be made in those games would dwarf the amount made in bowl games (just look how much Basketball makes). Just think you could have big time teams like Texas, Ohio State, Miami, and others playing several times, and the high roller fans would go to every game their team played in and spend money. For picking the top 8, use all the polls they use now and combine them and take the 8 with the higher rankings. I know someone will always get left out, but when was the last time a number 9 team won the national championship in a bowl game.

They need to do something similar to the basketball brackets, but do something just like what Vman said.

I'd would drop the BCS system. It seems like the Media and Coaches have less room for error than some arbitrary statistical formula. The ACC, Big 12, Big 10 (11), Pac 10, and SEC champions would get automatically in one of the 4 big Bowls. The Big East would lose their auto bid because of the reduction in quality football teams in that conference.

The two best teams from the six non-automatic conferences would have a championship game. That winner would get into the field of 8 teams. There would be two at-large bids available for the two highest ranked teams (average of the coaches and media) that did not get an automatic bid. There would be a list of tiebreakers or a formula used ONLY in the event that the poll average was the same for two teams.

There would be no limitations on how many teams came from a particular conference. If a conference has 3 of the top 8 teams in the country, they all deserve to go.

The teams would be seeded 1-8 by a committee like the NCAA tournament has. This would help avoid nightmares like the Florida/Miami Orange Bowl we had last year. The four bowls would be round 1. The next week, two of the four bowls would get round 2 games. The Championship Game would go to one of the two bowls that didn't have a round 2 game.

Oh I forgot one thing. Teams would be limited to 11 regular season games unless they were playing a non-conference game against Hawaii (really the only way Hawaii can get teams to play against them). You could still have the early (preseason) games but they would count as one of the 11. If you put a cap on the regular season, it helps countbalance the impact of two additional games for the two teams that play in the Championship Game.

very interesting feedback...the only reason i wouldn't go into a playoff like the ncaa basketball is that you can only play one game a week per team...and i'm just curious how long that would take to get to the championship...plus with all the bowls there is a lot of money not only for ncaa and the schools but for the cities in which they are played in

TheOgre said:
Oh I forgot one thing. Teams would be limited to 11 regular season games unless they were playing a non-conference game against Hawaii (really the only way Hawaii can get teams to play against them). You could still have the early (preseason) games but they would count as one of the 11. If you put a cap on the regular season, it helps countbalance the impact of two additional games for the two teams that play in the Championship Game.

Excellent point, I forgot to mention that. I think they should do that anyway, NCAA is the only football playing organization that doesn't have a set number on games played during the season.

keyfro said:
very interesting feedback...the only reason i wouldn't go into a playoff like the ncaa basketball is that you can only play one game a week per team...and i'm just curious how long that would take to get to the championship...plus with all the bowls there is a lot of money not only for ncaa and the schools but for the cities in which they are played in

keep the bowls for the teams that don't make the top 8 (so still money coming in). Start playing in early to mid Dec., it would take only 3 weeks (NCAA would have to regulate the number of games a college could play). The tourny setup would generate more money for the NCAA and the schools than the four bowls they would play in today's system.

Plus the coporate sponsers would play a lot more to have their name on the championship tourny. (There would probably be a bidding war.)

How would I do the BCS championship? I wouldn't. I'd throw all those dumb BCS computers in the trash, and make a playoff system.

Texan281 said:
How would I do the BCS championship? I wouldn't. I'd throw all those dumb BCS computers in the trash, and make a playoff system.
Thats what I would want. The best 4 teams in a playoff.

I would blow it up. playoff system , please. It isn't going to happen because of bowl system and the college presidents don't want a definitive champion.

keyfro said:

to me the one game a week is nothing. if I am not mistaken Texas or Oklahoma had to wait about a month to play their bowl game after their season ended. there are some empty weeks in there.
BUT in that case, you have to deal with the NFL on the couple of saturdays toward the end of the season.. that cuts into profits on both sides .

Enough of the BcS already. Get a playoff system. 16 teams.

First round, second week of December.

Game 1 #1 vs. #16 - Liberty Bowl
Game 2 #2 vs. #15 - Motor City Bowl
Game 3 #3 vs. #14 - Houston Bowl
Game 4 #4 vs. #13 - Holiday Bowl
Game 5 #5 vs. #12 - Sun Bowl
Game 6 #6 vs. #11 - Citrus Bowl
Game 7 #7 vs. #10 - Mobile Bowl
Game 8 #8 vs. #9 - Alamo Bowl

2nd round, third week of December.

Gm 9 - Gm 1 winner vs. Gm 8 winner - Cotton Bowl
Gm 10 - Gm 2 winner vs. Gm 7 winner - Peach Bowl
Gm 11 - Gm 3 winner vs. Gm 6 winner - Outback Bowl
Gm 12 - Gm 4 winner vs. Gm 5 winner - Fiesta Bowl

Semifinal round, last week of December.

Gm 13 - Gm 9 winner vs. Gm 12 winner - Rose Bowl
Gm 14 - Gm 10 winner vs. Gm 11 winner - Orange Bowl

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, first week of January.

Game 13 winner vs. Game 14 winner - Sugar Bowl

Rotate the "big 4" for the championship game. What's so hard about that??? As far as money and TV are concerned, I think a whole lot more people would be tuning in if there was something actually on the line for the "Bowl" games.

16 is too many. I'd like either an 8 or 4 team playoff. 8 makes sense because you could tie in automatic bid to current BCS conferences and have room for at large bids.

And that's what's wrong the BCS, it limits the conferences, a purely monopolistic move that takes the fun out of watching an underdog. Whose to say that only these certain conferences get in while these don't. Whose to say that on down the road another conference can't be created and they will be left out in the cold. It smacks right into a free-market belief. This BCS coalition put a stranglehold on all the other conferences and lacks the appeal that March Madness has, a chance to root for the underdog and have a pure championship playoff. They've tried and tried to make it work and it just doesn't. It needs to be a playoff type tournament, not a "voting" system.

I would expand Speedy's to 32 or 64, because what ever argument was made to have the NCAA basketball tournament at 65, the same argument can be for any other sport, football included. No other systems exists like the BCS, there is a reason for that.

I wouldnt do away with the BCS, just change it. I would keep most of the bowl games and change the BCS bowls to a BCS playoff, where the top 16 ranked teams in the nation got into the playoffs. The playoffs would take a month or so.

SESupergenius said:
And that's what's wrong the BCS, it limits the conferences, a purely monopolistic move that takes the fun out of watching an underdog. Whose to say that only these certain conferences get in while these don't. Whose to say that on down the road another conference can't be created and they will be left out in the cold. It smacks right into a free-market belief. This BCS coalition put a stranglehold on all the other conferences and lacks the appeal that March Madness has, a chance to root for the underdog and have a pure championship playoff. They've tried and tried to make it work and it just doesn't. It needs to be a playoff type tournament, not a "voting" system.

I would expand Speedy's to 32 or 64, because what ever argument was made to have the NCAA basketball tournament at 65, the same argument can be for any other sport, football included. No other systems exists like the BCS, there is a reason for that.

The NCAA tournament is slanted too. The big conferences get 6-7 team in while the mid-majors get 1 in and MAYBE 2. My proposal automatically gets in one of those teams from a non-BCS conference. My main gripe about a big playoff system is that you aren't getting the best team in the country, you are getting the hottest team at that moment. You could end up with a champ that has 3 losses. That is why I don't like the idea of a 16-team playoff. 4 or 8 would be better.

The only reason I don't like the tournament idea is because of the extra two-three game punishment these college kids would take. I'm sure a few are ready for the NFL 16 game schedule, but most are used to 12-13 games. We don't want two or three Willis Mcgahee's a year.

Back