Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How Much Blame Should George Godsey, And Bill O'Brian Get For Texans Offensive Troubles?

Don't forget letting go of Wade Smith at LG a year removed from a probowl appearance. '

You must not remember. Smith had that bone bruise his last year with the Texans. In TC that year, he underwent a scope for this and significant cartilage damage commonly associated with this injury was encountered. Played like heck after that. Duane Brown at that time, despite already being compromised by his turf toe, found himself further compromising his performance at LT by frequently having to cheat to his right in order to help Smith (and our QB) not get destroyed. Smith subsequently virtually became a cripple. Philadelphia was desperate in 2014. Wade Smith was originally signed by them in early September following the long-term injuries to their All-Pro left guard Evan and right tackle Allen Barbre. Smith only appeared in 18 snaps for Philadelphia. The Eagles put him in at left guard only following Jason Peter's ejection in Week 3, before being released to never play again.

if you don't have a running game, you're not going to have clear passing lanes, no matter what routes are called. There's no easy fix to this. It's a one dimensional offense. (with Mallet throwing the ball)

The old adage.. it all starts upfront. And they are getting their heads handed to them upfront.

Without a running game, the one-dimensional offense would need receivers that can separate and a QB that can quick release into tight spaces. The Texans have neither of those on the roster.

And I completely agree about the O-line. Without Brown, there is nothing positive to say about the rest of them. It doesn't help that none of the RBs not named Foster would never start on any of the other 31 teams.

Makes me wonder where Belichick would be today if he hadn't stumbled into Brady.
Didn't he lead the Browns to an 11-5 record in 1994? He had aging veterans at quarterback that year. Vinny Testaverde and Mark Rypien. Even though both guys had great success on other teams (Super Bowl and conference championship experience), neither of them was all that good that particular season. They combined for 20 TDs and 21 INTs overall. They also won a home playoff game against the Patriots if I recall. That may have been the Browns last playoff win. They ended up being trounced by the Steelers in the divisional round.

It's sort of funny that Bill Belichick was the last head coach for the Cleveland Browns to win a playoff game and it was against the Patriots. Just some fun little fact that his Hall of Fame credentials will contain.

The Browns have been a disaster for a long time now. They had a better "make believe team" in the movie "Draft Day" with Kevin Costner as general manager. They had drafted Arian Foster aka Ray Jennings at running back. They had Tom Welling returning at quarterback aka Brian Drew. I wish we had our own version of Brian Drew to quarterback this year's 2015 Texans team. We did but we let him go. His name was Ryan Fitzpatrick.

As far as Bill O'Brien. He had a successful 9-7 rookie year as head coach playing four different quarterbacks. 0-2 in his second season. To be fair he has a lousy offense, talent wise, and for that I blame Rick Smith the general manager just as much as anybody else. Our depth at every offensive position is pretty thin to say the least. Maybe at wide receiver we're decent but our guys are dropping too many balls. Leading the league in drops so far this year.

Last edited:
Best case scenario for this franchise moving forward is we can finally address the quarterback position after this season comes to an end. We'll know for sure whether or not we need to invest a first-round pick on a quarterback entering the 2016 NFL Draft.

Unless we find something good on the trade market. Either way we can just sink or swim with Ryan Mallett the rest of 2015. Maybe give Hoyer a few more snaps if Mallett continues to struggle or gets injured. Which is likely given how much he's going to be hit with our mediocre offensive line.

The frustrating part is we find ourselves in this same position. We just had a 2-14 season two years ago. We knew we needed a damn quarterback back then. I think Bill O'Brien felt he could coach up any quarterback and perhaps that 9-7 season got into his head last year. He played four different quarterbacks, got the most out of them, even won the final two games with Case Keenum.

He simply thought that he could find some magic out of either Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer. The familiarity and friendship he has with both guys is pretty strong. He may be blinded by some loyalty there. Hopefully our scouts are earning their money and there is a quarterback we can draft in the first round when the 2016 NFL Draft rolls around. We may have a top ten pick. Heck, we may have a top five pick if our offense continues to play like they are.

You can call the best play in history, but it matters not if poor man's Jay Cutler can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Sanchez. Buttfumble or no, he is better than what the Texans have. With Bradford looking like trash in Philly, I doubt Chip parts with him now.

Hell, throw Glenan or a McCown back there.

Well Hoyer and mallet signed a 2year deal. So it won't strap up for the future(if I recall)

As must frustration as I have on gameday..I feel we have to ride with mallet. We have to know if this kid is the future or not. If he isn't it. Well I do believe bob wouldn't be so hard headed and not find a QB in the next draft. Does it suck? Yes ,but I don't want to go into next season with the same hopes that savage or mallet is the next thing.

Throw in Rick Smith, and I'd say all of it. They built this crap.

^^^This^^^

The honeymoon is over with O'Brien and it's been long gone with regards to Rick Smith. They built this hot mess of a team and spent draft picks on useless guys like Mumphery and Cliett instead of drafting some quality depth on the O-line where it was desparately needed. Rick Smith continues to draft terribly year after year, but he must know Bob McNairs secrets because he hasn't been fired yet.

Unless we find something good on the trade market. Either way we can just sink or swim with Ryan Mallett the rest of 2015. Maybe give Hoyer a few more snaps if Mallett continues to struggle or gets injured. Which is likely given how much he's going to be hit with our mediocre offensive line.

I only remember Mallett getting hit twice yesterday. The play where he did the dumb thing & tried to throw the ball away. & the late hit.

Not because the OL was playing so well, but because he got rid of the ball so quick. As had been mentioned by the Mallett doubters, getting rid of the ball like he does hurt us. But, behind that OL, I can understand him being jittery.

He'll get better.

^^^This^^^

The honeymoon is over with O'Brien and it's been long gone with regards to Rick Smith. They built this hot mess of a team and spent draft picks on useless guys like Mumphery and Cliett instead of drafting some quality depth on the O-line where it was desparately needed. Rick Smith continues to draft terribly year after year, but he must know Bob McNairs secrets because he hasn't been fired yet.

Rick Smith got Bob that big white marketable player he always wanted, which is just as good as winning the Super Bowl. Got to get that housewife demographic buying jerseys.

Don't really know where else to put this so I'll drop it here...

Yards Per Target
Hopkins - 6.3 ypt (24 targets)
Shorts - 4.6 ypt (20 targets)
Washington - 8.8 ypt (19 targets)
Grimes - 4.7 ypt (9 targets)
Polk - 2.0 ypt (9 targets)
Graham - 1.2 ypt (7 targets)
Mumphery - 4.6 ypt (5 targets)
Griffin - 4.5 ypt (4 targets)
Blue - 3.7 ypt (3 targets)
Fiedorowicz - 17.0 ypt (2 targets)
Worthy - 7.5 ypt (2 targets)

That's pretty brutal. For reference, the Titans and Bucs are both starting rookie QB's and they are averaging 8.8 and 7.7 yards per attempt while we are averaging 5.5. That's pathetic.
It is only brutal if coach does not learn from it and focus on those that were successful. Washington, Grimes and Fiedo should see increased targets allowing Hopkins to either be more open; allow Worthy a couple more targets per game. There has to be some settling of the oline and then more success. I want Newton moved back to RT as we have had success running to that side. I wonder if Mallett could run a play action pass?

Many people do not realize this, but Bill O'Brian was not just our head coach last year. He was the Houston Texans Offensive Coordinator. The Texans went out, and hired George Godsey to help run the offense. Bill O'Brian does have the final say in the play selection.

Should we get the pink soap?
It's time for Obrien to go to Plan B......Ok who can tell us what Plan B is?....Obrien DOES have a Plan B doesn't he?....DOESNT HE!!??......

I thought Ryan Mallett was Plan B..
There's 11 (+) men on offense
There's 11 (+) men on defense
Did you think one guy (Mallett) could fix 22 (+) positions?
OR
Are you saying Obrien thought Mallett could fix 22 (+) positions on the team?

Hopefully neither u nor Obrien believes that's plan B....

Maybe Mallett could pass block for himself, throw the pass & run out & catch it? lol...
Maybe he could play DB or DE?
Let's make him punt, kick field goals, & be Head Coach too (while we're at it)? lol....
He couldnt do any worse.

There's 11 (+) men on offense
There's 11 (+) men on defense
Did you think one guy (Mallett) could fix 22 (+) positions?
OR
Are you saying Obrien thought Mallett could fix 22 (+) positions on the team?

Hopefully neither u nor Obrien believes that's plan B....

Maybe Mallett could pass block for himself, throw the pass & run out & catch it? lol...
Maybe he could play DB or DE?
Let's make him punt, kick field goals, & be Head Coach too (while we're at it)? lol....
He couldnt do any worse.
My post was 100% sarcastic. I know it's the internet and sarcasm is not evident so that's on me. I should have been more clear.

As to your question: I seriously doubt O'Brien has a Plan B. We have no running game without Foster and crappy QB play. I honestly don't even know if he had a Plan A or was that supposed to be ride Arian Foster until he breaks?

My post was 100% sarcastic. I know it's the internet and sarcasm is not evident so that's on me. I should have been more clear.

As to your question: I seriously doubt O'Brien has a Plan B. We have no running game without Foster and crappy QB play. I honestly don't even know if he had a Plan A or was that supposed to be ride Arian Foster until he breaks?

Well you did one thing .You revealed Phoenix to be a Mallett fan boy .

Just put lol after humorous sarcasm ( I actually love a sarcastic sense of humor)...and your comments here are spot on....now I'm laughing...keep it coming, lord knows we could all use a good laugh these days

I'm going to blame the person who neglected the oline and oline depth. Whoever that may be

I'm not throwing JJo to the curb, yet. But damn, his tackling and coverage has been pathetic.

They should garner a fair share of criticism, but in all reality you cant coach up dumb people or guys who just arent very good NFL players, as bad as it sounds. Too many guys yesterday had busted assignments.

It can all change sure, but i've yet to see anyone make a **** sandwich and then market it as tasty. This team needs more capable talent, simple as that.

To me, it seems like the Honeymoon is over with BoB. I get the feeling that the fan base is already getting tired of some of his tendencies. I know he's just in his second year, but this is the NFL, and fans want results fast! It's kind of like now, the fans have been married to him for long enough that it's OK to fart around each other, and now it's time for RESULTS!

They should garner a fair share of criticism, but in all reality you cant coach up dumb people or guys who just arent very good NFL players, as bad as it sounds. Too many guys yesterday had busted assignments.

It can all change sure, but i've yet to see anyone make a **** sandwich and then market it as tasty. This team needs more capable talent, simple as that.

LOL!!!! Can I use that **** sandwich line....& your point about talent is very true....it really does all boil down to that

Uh... that might be part of the problem. New England has what a 1st rounder on their offensive line & Gronk? Other than that, not a whole lot invested, other than the millions of dollars put into a 6th round QB.

If we drafted receivers like the receivers playing for New England... slow, short, not particularly athletic, people would go crazy around here.... wait a minute

:thinking:

May be onto something there since it does seem we're trying with all these makeshift pieces offensively thinking we'll make something stick. Cast off running backs or late draft picks despite knowing we have an injury prone back. Journey folks receivers and tight ends that...I don't know what the hell they are. Seems almost like he is trying to be Belichek and think he can make it happen with run of the mill guys. I don't know.

As for the point of the thread it goes on both coaches since we come out flat to begin the game. I'm sure O'Brien approves the gameplan including the way the game begins so he has guilt there as well. They make decent adjustments at half but at that point we've already buried ourselves in a hole with a poor start....damn this sounds familiar. Dejavu?

To me, it seems like the Honeymoon is over with BoB. I get the feeling that the fan base is already getting tired of some of his tendencies. I know he's just in his second year, but this is the NFL, and fans want results fast! It's kind of like now, the fans have been married to him for long enough that it's OK to fart around each other, and now it's time for RESULTS!

The real question is Bill or Chip Kelly going to be the head coach at UT in the next two years .

Calling someone "boy" on here is not really cool my friend...Can u see my skin color?

2907918-4887090489-27424.jpg

But, just in case you're serious, "fanboy" is one of those internet words: fanboy definition: "a boy or man who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something"

Hey everyone,I have a friend whose a psychologist...he says he'll give us a group rate on therapy!!....he's a Texan fan too.....he understands

Hey everyone,I have a friend whose a psychologist...he says he'll give us a group rate on therapy!!....he's a Texan fan too.....he understands

Why ... most of us are well traveled on the Texan trail . I'm more worried about the Astros right now , then the Rockets start and fall weather and apple season at the stores . If the Texans continue to fall on their face , well April becomes the most wonderful time of the Texan year .

1. Bill needs to take back the play calling from George Godsey.
2. Our O - line needs to fixed ASAP. *Draft, Free Agents, and trades*
3. I think Mallet could be the answer, if we get better run production.
4. We need to get rid of the Wide receiver screen.
5. I can not call out the defense. Because of lack of breathing time.

At the end of the year
We should trade Hoyer and Foster
Draft nothing but offense including a new kicker.

1. Bill needs to take back the play calling from George Godsey.
2. Our O - line needs to fixed ASAP. *Draft, Free Agents, and trades*
3. I think Mallet could be the answer, if we get better run production.
4. We need to get rid of the Wide receiver screen.
5. I can not call out the defense. Because of lack of breathing time.

At the end of the year
We should trade Hoyer and Foster
Draft nothing but offense including a new kicker.

I agree but I would ad one more thing for the coaches to do.....Teach These Guys Sound Fundamentals / Techniques Of Their Position!!!!
Throw out the game plan....
It's a waste of time/energy if your team can't throw,pass block,run block, run good routes, tackle, cover recievers etc.....Can the coaches start there? First?!!!

Back