Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How many of you actually have watched Schaub play?

texan09

Practice Squad
I for one, have. I beleive he will help us compete in that division. We will go above .500, I gurantee it

I have. It was funny b/c I had Alge Crumpler on my fantasy football team a couple of year ago so I was watching the Atlanta game and Vick got hurt. Schaub came in and Crumpler had his best fantasy game of the season. Finished with over 100 yards and a TD. I remember thinking at the time that I wish Schaub started over Vick so Crumpler would put up better stats for me! :dance2:

I have watched him play, thanks to NFL Sunday Ticket over the last three years. I always thought he was a good QB, but just in Vick's shadow. I did not think we would get him, but we did. So, from what I saw when he did play, I am happy he is here. By the way, I was a Carr supporter, but I think MS could run circles around DC.

I have watched him play, thanks to NFL Sunday Ticket over the last three years. I always thought he was a good QB, but just in Vick's shadow. I did not think we would get him, but we did. So, from what I saw when he did play, I am happy he is here. By the way, I was a Carr supporter, but I think MS could run circles around DC.

Nice edit to your avatar. BTW.

I saw a lot of Atlanta when i was living in florida...watched the entire schaub/patriots tilt, saw him in spot duty against new orleans i beleive. If i could sum up in one word what he brings that David doesn't, its COMPETENCE. One belongs in the nfl, and you will see that come training camp.

I saw his performance against the Patriots. I remember chuckling to myself about the fact that the Falcons were making so many changes to their team in order to improve Vick when it looked like they had the solution to their QB problems in hand in Schaub.

i've probably seen him more than most of you. i've seen him play while he was at the university of virgina. and i've seen him in limited action as a falcon.

like i've said in other threads, the guy is going to be good. he played under a former ny jets head coach, al groh, who was a parcells' product. therefore, schaub was exposed to some of what goes on in the nfl before he was drafted by the falcons. and he's now had a couple of years in the league as a backup.

statistically speaking, he was uva's version of philip rivers. rivers broke all nc state and acc passing records, and schaub broke nearly all of uva's passing records. schaub did this despite splitting starts his freshman and sophmore seasons, and becoming the full-time starter shortly into his junior season. they both had a career completion percentage of 67%. schaub led the nation in his senior year with 71.5% and rivers was second with 71% (something like that). and they're almost the same height and weight.

i can't speak too much on schaub's intangibles and tell you all kinds of awesome of stories about him, like i can when it comes to philip rivers. however, i can tell you that schaub has never had character issues. he was an academic in school. i never read about him complaining while he had to split starts. he isn't the most athletic guy, but he gets the job done.

keep in mind that i'm a die-hard fan of a rival university, and i'm here being much too complimentary of schaub. i really like the guy, and i think he's going to be a star in this league. he just needed his chance to play. not to take anything away from schaub, but i've always seem him as a poor man's philip rivers.

They showed on a clip on NFLN of Schaub running for a nice gain vs. Patriots, a fairly stout defense.

I thought he couldn't run? The word has been that he oozes along the stadium floor like molasses going downhill in December...and yet the clip I just saw was that he was sprinting down the field for 10 or 15 yards. Looked good to me. The Pats were having to scramble to catch up to him.

I think the national media has it in for Houston. Seriously.

It's been 95% negative about the Schaub deal.

I've seen him play, and I thought at the time "Now here's a guy hidden in obscurity who's going to make it someday...sheesh, it'd be nice to have him as our QB..."

I honest-to-goodness have always wanted this guy to be our QB. I can't believe we got him. I hope it works out like I have been imagining it in my head. You know how sometimes you watch someone play, for another team, and you close your eyes and you envision them doing the same thing for your team--with your team's jersey on? That's what I did when I saw him play. I sorta' put it away, though, over the past season or two...I figured DC was entrenched and wasn't going anywhere...so why waste the hope and expectation on it?

His interview on NFLN was soooooooooooo much better and more in-depth than what he had during today's Texans live presser.

I made a new thread about his NFLN interview, typing out what was asked and what he said in response. Check it out. It also has some Schefter scoop on DC's latest potential landing spot(s).

thought he'd be a franchise QB while at UVa, thought the same thing when playing limited duty in atlanta.

He reminds me of Farve a bit...but it will be interesting to see him play just a bit more...consistently.

I saw him play against USC in college and he could pick apart a defense but I have yet to see him play in a pro game and kinda skeptical about him

I have--twice. I developed my man crush for him when he came in for an injured Vick and shredded the vikings with 4 carries for 56 yards back in 2005.

I remember thinking at the time that I wish Schaub started over Vick

A LOT of people thought that. Myself included....and I'm NO atlanta fan. He looked like a true QB instead of a over-paid freak who flips off the fans and carries bling in the bottom of a water bottle. (yeah, right!)

I have seen just about every game Schaub played in Atlanta with the exception of last year. I am an Atlanta Falcon Season ticket holder for the last 20 years. I moved back to Texas last year...long story and nobody would be interested.

Schaub like many backup QBs played mostly in pre-season especially after Vick broke his leg in a pre season game. There is no question that Schaub is the better passer vs Vick. This isn't really saying much up to this point. This started mild arguments with Falcon fans up until yesterday. Vick was always the man because of his contract. Arthur Blank, the Falcons owner made the same rookie owner mistake that Bob McNair made, falling in love with your #1 franchise QB pick. The difference today is Blank is still dealing with his over infatuation with Vick and McNair is free and clear of Carr. I guess that goes with being a fan first before knowing how to be an owner. They have to learn to.

Back to Schaub...like most backup QBs they do well in pre-season and become a fan favorite. This is Schaub. When Matt did come in for Vick he did show some spark and promise. He never really had the chance for you to say, He is the man, but he did enough to show he deserved a legitmate chance at running the team.

Good endorsement of Matt Schaub from Michael Strahan...

Giants defensive end Michael Strahan was in Houston on Thursday to play in a charity golf tournament to benefit the Ray Anthony Peacock scholarship fund. Strahan was asked what he thought about the Texans trading for Schaub, and he pointed out that before the Giants played the Falcons last season, he watched film of Schaub and starter Michael Vick.

"We studied both of those guys," Strahan said. "He's (Schaub) a drop-back, almost like a Tom Brady-like quarterback. He's very composed, and he's very big. The word we were told when we were preparing for the Falcons was we almost don't want to put him in the game. We want to keep him on the sidelines. He's first-round talent. He's a very good player. I think the Texans did a good thing by getting him."

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/03/schaubs_entrance_carrs_exit_st.html

I keep reading on your boards about how you overpaid or how Schaub is unproven. Do not look at Schaub's overall stats. Look at games he played more than a quarter. Michael Vick went down a few times in the closing minutes of a game where winning was a miracle short of happening. Enter Matt Schaub. Schaub never tried to dump the ball off against a prevent defense that would guarantee a loss but pad his stats for when it was time to be a free agent or be traded. Every single time I watched him come in he played to win and not for stats. He'd have to throw it into deep coverage and what was amazing to me was how many times he completed it and his calm but hurried demeanor. He made good decisions, got the ball out quickly, and delivered it with accuracy. That's why every time he came into the game the crowd went nuts.
Many fans in Atlanta who were more than casual fans would have rather seen Schaub the starter than Vick. I'm not sure that the Falcons front office felt any different. However, when your current starter has only completed two years out of the ten year 137 million dollar contract it is IMPOSSIBLE to cut or trade him because the signing bonus and guaranteed portion of the salary cap would have accelerated into the current year. Our only option would have been to bench him for a couple years and then sign Schaub also to starter money. The fact is Vick is a good but not great quarterback in terms of finding ways to win so that was never going to happen. I don't understand why the press doesn't talk more about that.
Everyone loves to talk about how bad the Falcons offensive line(Vick was the second most sacked behind Carr for a while) was and how poor Vick never had time to get the ball out and when he did his receivers didn't catch it. Well how in the world did Schaub become the most prestigious backup in the NFL behind the same line and throwing to the same receivers.
Through three seasons Schaub earned the nickname, "Mr. Preseason"In his rookie preseason he was by far the best rookie quarterback in a class that included Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, and JP Losman. All four were chosen in front of him and none of them came close to his production. If you want to research regular season stats that should count research these:

Last two games of his rookie year were Atlanta had clinched the #2 seed in the NFC. These meaningless games featured the Falcons backups vs. the opposing teams first string for the most part.

This was his worst game by far. Against New Orleans in his first start:
Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate Sac Yds Att Yds Avg Lg TD Fum Rec
41 17 41.5 188 0 2 35.4 3 14 4 21 5.3 11 0 1 0

The next game against Seattle he didn't start because the Falcons had a bye week and Mora didn't want Vick rusty so the starters played for what I believe was a half. I can't remember but this is close.

22 14 63.6 133 1 1 76.5 1 0 2 7 3.5 8 0 0 0

The only start Schuab saw not in his rookie year. What a game. He ripped New England apart but unfortunately Brady returned the favor. The next year defensive coordinator Eric Mangini becomes the Jets head coach and aggressively seeks Schuab in trade with John Abraham. The Falcons refuse because they knew they could keep him one more year and trade him this year. So the Falcons instead traded down their 15th overall draft pick with Denver to get a late first round pick for the trade.

34 18 52.9 298 3 0 112.1 3 14 2 3 1.5 2 0 0 0

Probably shouldn't count this game either since I didn't count other mop up duty but he mopped up well. This game was way out of hand before he went in. They were down by like 35 in the 4th quarter or something silly like that so maybe he didn't play as desperately as other times in mop up duty. I was sitting on the 50 yard line in the lower level when he came in and the place went NUTS with cheers.

13 9 69.2 110 1 0 120.7 2 12 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

His final game in a Falcon uniform. He played against the Eagles backups once Vick got hurt and did pretty good but again came in from behind. Not his best game but still did pretty decent.

21 15 71.4 175 1 1 92.4 2 8 2 21 10.5 19 0 0 0

Anyways, if me going through the trouble of writing all this doesn't show the amount of support the die hard Falcons fans had for Schuab then you just have a bad attitude and would fit in well with some of the casual fans who just like to be negative. Matt Schaub still doesn't have tons of experience but nearly every single time he's been called on to produce he's done a good job. Falcons fans are already talking about how this may be the next great QB after Favre that we let get away. Unfortunately Vicks contract gave us no choice. So....that being said here's to the Houston Texans. May your team go 0-16 next year and get the first overall selection in the second round and it be the defense's fault. Two years from now may you make it to the Super Bowl every year Schuab is a Texan and lose to the Falcons....good luck. Oh and don't believe the people who say Schaub has a weak arm because he can hum it. Maybe not like Favre or Vick but he's not too far off. Plus he may not have blazing speed but he makes good decisions of when to run. I remember him running back to back for over 20 yards against Minnesota and the whole team kind of cracking up but still it shows he's a good decision maker. He's ran 24 attempts for 123 yards in the limited time he's played.

I keep reading on your boards about how you overpaid or how Schaub is unproven. Do not look at Schaub's overall stats. Look at games he played more than a quarter. Michael Vick went down a few times in the closing minutes of a game where winning was a miracle short of happening. Enter Matt Schaub. Schaub never tried to dump the ball off against a prevent defense that would guarantee a loss but pad his stats for when it was time to be a free agent or be traded. Every single time I watched him come in he played to win and not for stats. He'd have to throw it into deep coverage and what was amazing to me was how many times he completed it and his calm but hurried demeanor. He made good decisions, got the ball out quickly, and delivered it with accuracy. That's why every time he came into the game the crowd went nuts.
Many fans in Atlanta who were more than casual fans would have rather seen Schaub the starter than Vick. I'm not sure that the Falcons front office felt any different. However, when your current starter has only completed two years out of the ten year 137 million dollar contract it is IMPOSSIBLE to cut or trade him because the signing bonus and guaranteed portion of the salary cap would have accelerated into the current year. Our only option would have been to bench him for a couple years and then sign Schaub also to starter money. The fact is Vick is a good but not great quarterback in terms of finding ways to win so that was never going to happen. I don't understand why the press doesn't talk more about that.
Everyone loves to talk about how bad the Falcons offensive line(Vick was the second most sacked behind Carr for a while) was and how poor Vick never had time to get the ball out and when he did his receivers didn't catch it. Well how in the world did Schaub become the most prestigious backup in the NFL behind the same line and throwing to the same receivers.
Through three seasons Schaub earned the nickname, "Mr. Preseason"In his rookie preseason he was by far the best rookie quarterback in a class that included Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, and JP Losman. All four were chosen in front of him and none of them came close to his production. If you want to research regular season stats that should count research these:

Last two games of his rookie year were Atlanta had clinched the #2 seed in the NFC. These meaningless games featured the Falcons backups vs. the opposing teams first string for the most part.

This was his worst game by far. Against New Orleans in his first start:
41 17 41.5 188 0 2 35.4 3 14 4 21 5.3 11 0 1 0

The next game against Seattle he didn't start because the Falcons had a bye week and Mora didn't want Vick rusty so the starters played for what I believe was a half. I can't remember but this is close.

22 14 63.6 133 1 1 76.5 1 0 2 7 3.5 8 0 0 0

The only start Schuab saw not in his rookie year. What a game. He ripped New England apart but unfortunately Brady returned the favor. The next year defensive coordinator Eric Mangini becomes the Jets head coach and aggressively seeks Schuab in trade with John Abraham. The Falcons refuse because they knew they could keep him one more year and trade him this year. So the Falcons instead traded down their 15th overall draft pick with Denver to get a late first round pick for the trade.

34 18 52.9 298 3 0 112.1 3 14 2 3 1.5 2 0 0 0

Probably shouldn't count this game either since I didn't count other mop up duty but he mopped up well. This game was way out of hand before he went in. They were down by like 35 in the 4th quarter or something silly like that so maybe he didn't play as desperately as other times in mop up duty. I was sitting on the 50 yard line in the lower level when he came in and the place went NUTS with cheers.

13 9 69.2 110 1 0 120.7 2 12 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

His final game in a Falcon uniform. He played against the Eagles backups once Vick got hurt and did pretty good but again came in from behind. Not his best game but still did pretty decent.

21 15 71.4 175 1 1 92.4 2 8 2 21 10.5 19 0 0 0

Anyways, if me going through the trouble of writing all this doesn't show the amount of support the die hard Falcons fans had for Schuab then you just have a bad attitude and would fit in well with some of the casual fans who just like to be negative. Matt Schaub still doesn't have tons of experience but nearly every single time he's been called on to produce he's done a good job. Falcons fans are already talking about how this may be the next great QB after Favre that we let get away. Unfortunately Vicks contract gave us no choice. So....that being said here's to the Houston Texans. May your team go 0-16 next year and get the first overall selection in the second round and it be the defense's fault. Two years from now may you make it to the Super Bowl every year Schuab is a Texan and lose to the Falcons....good luck. Oh and don't believe the people who say Schaub has a weak arm because he can hum it. Maybe not like Favre or Vick but he's not too far off. Plus he may not have blazing speed but he makes good decisions of when to run. I remember him running back to back for over 20 yards against Minnesota and the whole team kind of cracking up but still it shows he's a good decision maker. He's ran 24 attempts for 123 yards in the limited time he's played.

Thank You for the time you put into this. I like what i see and am getting very excited about this coming yr. I saw the game against New England and at that time i was picturing him in a Texans uniform...lol. Funny how things have happened and now we will all be able to see him do his thing in a Texans Uniform. Good Luck to your team this coming yr. and Go Texans!!!

That Yahoo video tells a lot about Schaub. The right tackle was beaten badly and had Schaub not been aware and moved swiftly to the left he would have been sacked within the 1st 3 seconds after the snap. It also showed that he can throw accurately on the run.

It also shows him setting up very quickly, and chunking the ball 60 yards in the air.

I am an Eagles fan and the last game last year in the Falcons game Vick got hurt so he came in. He looked pretty good but threw 2 ints against our backups.

Back