Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How have the Texans done in the snow?

bruenice

Practice Squad
Looking at the weather forecast, the team is likely to face some inclement weather. Predicted high of 19, 30% chance of snow, and high winds out of the northwest.
I was wondering if anybody knew if the team has played in any weather like this before, and if so how have they faired? Just thought of the Buccaneers inablility to win in weather under 60 and hope that the same doesn't initiate itself with the Texans.

I think we have only played in one cold game and that was a 24-6 win against the Steelers...

yeah but the O didnt do anything in that game. To bad our D is not as good as they were in 2002. But maybe A.Glenn will have another big game for us... (I hope)

The weather elements can be a double-edged sword for a football team
and its geography. The heat and humidity worked to our advantage when
Oakland played here earlier this year. Those West Coast guys aren't used to
playing in our weather conditions. Now the unfamiliar weather of the frigid North country may work to our disadvantage.

Well you know from the beginning of the season, you are going to have to play in bad weather so just get the job done.

Fiddy said:
I think we have only played in one cold game and that was a 24-6 win against the Steelers...

...so, didn't we have less than 100 yds offense in that game? Can we really
do worse this week? :hmmm:

rhc564 said:
...so, didn't we have less than 100 yds offense in that game? Can we really
do worse this week? :hmmm:

47 yards of total offense, setting a new NFL record for the least number of offensive yards by a winning team.

That was due more to the ineptness of our offense than any weather conditions. The line back then is like a junior high Oline compared to what we have now. (HS Varsity level?)

We'll see how Hutch does against the AFC Interception leaders.

ledzeppelin269 said:
We'll see how Hutch does against the AFC Interception leaders.

This is going to be a dangerous game for the QB's--gusty winds and two teams prone to picking off passes--Texans 17 INT's, Bears 16 INT's.

So considering the cold weather, the wind and all that. Is everyone going to get mad if a conservative game is called this weekend or is everyone still going to want Carr to throw the ball downfield against RW McQuarters in the wind?

El Tejano said:
So considering the cold weather, the wind and all that. Is everyone going to get mad if a conservative game is called this weekend or is everyone still going to want Carr to throw the ball downfield against RW McQuarters in the wind?

...you mean we have something besides a conservative game plan??
Actually, a Dom Capers team uses its offense as an extension of its defense,
with its primary goal to somehow rest the defense by clock management--
no, why complain...it ain't the 4th year, yet-- you know, when we will win
all of a sudden!!!!...can't wait :jumpbanan

If the wind is as strong as they are predicting, getting the ball down the field very far with a pass is going to be a REAL tricky thing to do. The short 5-15 yard patterns will probably be do able, but anything over that will be a major risk. I suspect we will look even more like a WCO team than we usually do.

The level of cold for this game will be far worse than the Bills or Steelers games if the forecasters have it pegged right. It will be more like that Championship game between the Pats and Titans last year.. that kind of brutal stuff.

Something from NFL.com archives on that Texans-Steelers game:

"They didn't even try to test us," Steelers safety Brent Alexander said. "Their quarterback was sacked more times (four) than he completed passes (three). We stopped them, and still they continued to try to run. It was almost like they were waving the white flag."

Quarterback David Carr agreed, saying, "I have mixed feelings right now; we won 24-6 but we didn't do anything. We were playing not to lose."

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20021208_HOU@PIT

TexansTrueFan said:
well to some of us that is still cold :shocked ! I dont like anything below 95 !!!!!
I'm with you! .. it's 50 here right now.. and that's brutally cold to me. I ran outside to get the mail barefoot in my shorts a while ago .. 'bout froze! :rofl:

haha yeah maybe ya should put on some pants next time Sassy. I'm going to west texas this weekend to go hunting. Gonna miss the game but i have a radio with me, i HOPE its not cold. Texans BETTER win this one !

I want to say that at some point in their football career - from maybe high school on up to professional - that some of them have played in very cold weather.

Hopefully they will brave and overcome the elements and pick up the W. I was watching a sports talk program on ESPN earlier today and they were showing the AFC playoff picture, and it looks like we're still in the race for a spot. I know the "Good Guys" have to win the rest of their games and hope for other contenders to lose theirs. Time to pray.

beign in the AFC it is very unlikely that we will have ANY chance for a play-off spot. Now if we were in the NFC than yes we would be on our way !

Back