Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How are Carolina fans feeling about Bryce Young? I'll show you.

Of course that's not on the coach.

The team being bad is not because the owner told them to draft a particular guy. Are you saying the only thing wrong in Carolina is the QB?
Would all their problems be fixed if they had sat Bryce Young for the season & let Andy Dalton start? Have we heard rumors that the coaching staff wanted to start Dalton but the owner made them start Bryce?

The Panthers' failures this year are not due to them drafting Bryce Young. If anything drafting Young is another symptom.

No I’m not saying the only thing wrong with them is the QB they drafted. They have the problems they have and Reich was in his 1st year trying to turn it around. And now he’s gone after 12 weeks? Doesn’t seem like he was given a very fair shot. I don’t see how any of this is on him.

Except they did.

I hear what you're saying. Didn't make any sense to me that Urkel was dang near consensus #1 at any point in the season. At the end of the 2022 NFL season I said if Young is the best QB of that class we don't need to be looking for our QB in that draft.

But there was not a dissenting opinion from April to August about Carolina drafting Young.
Yep, I thought Young was the best QB in that draft. It's why I didn't want the Texans to pick a QB.

Also, yes the Panthers are crap because not only did they draft Bryce, they traded most of their assets away to do it for a guy that you have to have a specific system in place for, with below average size and arm strength.
My definite recollection is that the Texans collectively on balance wanted Young and with our new HC being an intensly loyal 'Bama guy well let me just say I'm glad that the Panthers did what they did.
But who knows maybe Slowick and the rest of the QB entourage advisors here are just this good, i.e. they are very instrumental in CJ's rookie year to date success ?
But I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for Tepper because he's the second wealthiest owner in he NFL (after the only Rams owner I believe): I mean we are talking in the 20-25 billion dollar range !

No I’m not saying the only thing wrong with them is the QB they drafted. They have the problems they have and Reich was in his 1st year trying to turn it around. And now he’s gone after 12 weeks? Doesn’t seem like he was given a very fair shot. I don’t see how any of this is on him.
If I'm Tepper, I'm picking the best WR I can get in Rd 2 and a guy like Burton in Rd. 3. Weapons to go with Theilen. Signing the best ol I can get in FA.

My definite recollection is that the Texans collectively on balance wanted Young and with our new HC being an intensly loyal 'Bama guy well let me just say I'm glad that the Panthers did what they did.
But who knows maybe Slowick and the rest of the QB entourage advisors here are just this good, i.e. they are very instrumental in CJ's rookie year to date success ?
But I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for Tepper because he's the second wealthiest owner in he NFL (after the only Rams owner I believe): I mean we are talking in the 20-25 billion dollar range !
Some posters seem to think it's all Stroud, but Slowik has done a great job of helping develop Stroud.

Some posters seem to think it's all Stroud, but Slowik has done a great job of helping develop Stroud.
Slowik has helped and has been good for Stroud, and at the same time Stroud has made throws very few others can make and has his team believing in him. The Panthers Oline will let Bryce get hit hard and have him find his own way up.

As we know often owners are desperate to grab a successful young Offensive or Defensive coordinator to coach their young QBs & teams, but surely we will have Slowik with us for CJs continued development atleast one more year ?

Yep, Steph Curry can gently hit shots all day long, but comparing Bryce to him won’t translate because you NEED a strong arm in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep.. Young is a accurate thrower and can definitely throw into tight windows, just not sure on this level.. The difference between college and the NFL is those tight windows close in seconds and are a fraction of the size of those at the pro level. Due to his arm strength some of those windows are closed completely at this level. He does not have the arm of a Brees, Wilson, or Flutie.. nor Mayfield or Murray. Probably doesn't even have the size either.

Tua had a lot of issues when he came out of college, bad team, bad system, injury issues. Now look at him, he's a whole different player than he was 2 years ago. Some of these guys aren't ready to step up, but they know that to maximize their earning power, they have to leave school as soon as they are able to be drafted. Start that 4/5 year clock running so they can hit free agency and make $$$ as soon as possible. You have to give guys a couple years to develop before you really know what you have in them. Bryce could still be a good QB, but he may need time and possibly a new coach/system to be successful. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

^ From the article:

“Stroud’s early success 100 percent played into Tepper’s decision to fire (head coach) Frank Reich. We all felt the pressure and frustrations,” a Panthers source shared over the phone this week. “It’s hard to step in and carry the weight of a franchise, and Bryce has it harder than most here.”

• Despite the team trading up to draft Young No. 1 overall in April, a team source said that by Week 5 multiple Carolina coaches wanted to bench the rookie for veteran quarterback Andy Dalton. Some believed the team needed a change and that Young required more coaching. The team decided this wasn’t about trying to get wins in the short term but to stay on task with teaching and developing Young in the offense. From all my conversations this past week, the Panthers still believe Bryce Young can be an incredible quarterback. Another team source texted, “He needs better protections and weapons. He has ‘it.’ We do not protect the middle of the pocket. He needs it most in this area because he’s 5-10.”

• Panthers defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero was never approached by Tepper to take over the interim head coach position, a league source said. If you recall, when Evero was asked to take on that role in Denver after the firing of Nathaniel Hackett, he turned it down. He later explained he didn’t believe it was a good situation. He was fired at the end of the 2022 season and hired to call the defense in Carolina. There are people on the current staff who believe Evero will have some head coach opportunities outside Carolina in a few weeks.

Some in the Panthers organization, per a league source, have been texting Johnson about how complicated it has been to work in Carolina this season. Johnson is expected to be the top coaching candidate in 2024.

• The expectation in the Panthers building is Tepper will try to lure Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson to Carolina after trying to hire him last season. Johnson decided to stay in Detroit last hiring cycle, but a league source told me Johnson is ready for a head coaching job now.

Last edited:
Young supposedly went to a better team than Stroud. Houston was the worst team in football last year.
Yep, all I heard on HST radio after the draft was how Young went to a better situation. An offensive head coach and a team with a better roster. I heard both stations go position by position and state how much better the CAR roster was. I still have yet to hear from anyone about how wrong they were but I shouldn’t expect that….

Last edited:
I never expected Carolina to win today to help us out. But 0 points has infuriated me about Bryce’s chances of doing anything in the league. Which are the same as the points he led his team to.

From what I am reading on their board a lot of them seem to be hoping to pull Slowik away for HC

From what I am reading on their board a lot of them seem to be hoping to pull Slowik away for HC

Dumb.

You aren’t going to turn Young into Stroud.

It’s the same dumb ass cycle that every team tries. How many assistants from Andy Reid has been hired and failed because they couldn’t produce the next Mahomes? Or Belicheck’s assistants?

There is a secret sauce in the Chiefs, Patriots, and Texans. It is Mahomes, Brady, and Stroud. You can’t replicate that.

Well, it looks like they've asked for permission to interview Slow. I would hope he's smart enough to weigh the pros and cons of going to work for an idiot like the Panthers owner. As TexansBull said you aren't going to turn Young into Stroud.

I wouldn't worry to much. Carolina is doing Carolina things and asking to interview any team that has had any success at all this year. Here is the list of who all they asked to interview:

Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson,
Texans offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik
Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan
Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald
Dolphins offensive coordinator Frank Smith
Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris
Ravens offensive coordinator Todd Monken
Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dave Canales

Given how unhinged the Panthers owner is and that he fired an experienced HC after only 11 games I'm guessing most of the up and coming coordinator's, like Slowik, know that they will get another chance at a HC job and will wait till its a better opportunity. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Well, it looks like they've asked for permission to interview Slow. I would hope he's smart enough to weigh the pros and cons of going to work for an idiot like the Panthers owner. As TexansBull said you aren't going to turn Young into Stroud.

images

Attachments

• 1704813905616.jpeg
    1704813905616.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 6
I feel sorry for Young - had the world at his feet pre draft and now, would anyone give a second round pick for him? Certainly not a high second fer sure.

I feel sorry for Young - had the world at his feet pre draft and now, would anyone give a second round pick for him? Certainly not a high second fer sure.

Oh yeah teams would still draft him. maybe not at 1 but everyone knows how bad the situation in Carolina is and there are many coaches that would think "I can fix him." I don't think Young will ever be the top or even 2nd best QB out of the last draft but one bad rookie year on a really bad team that changes HCs like most people change socks does not a bust make.

Oh yeah teams would still draft him. maybe not at 1 but everyone knows how bad the situation in Carolina is and there are many coaches that would think "I can fix him." I don't think Young will ever be the top or even 2nd best QB out of the last draft but one bad rookie year on a really bad team that changes HCs like most people change socks does not a bust make.
How does his bad rookie year look compared to Trevor Lawrence's? Remember Davis Mills looked better than Trevor Lawrence.

How does his bad rookie year look compared to Trevor Lawrence's? Remember Davis Mills looked better than Trevor Lawrence.

Exactly, I still don't think Lawrence is generational talent he was proclaimed to be but it can't be disputed that he has greatly improved with each year. People have gotten use to seeing rookies like Mahomes, Shroud, Brady and, much as I hate to say it, Watson come in and immediately make their teams look championship material. It causes them to forget that many rookies, especially on bad teams, look like busts right out of the gate and then get better. Hell Mahomes actually got to sit out his actual rookie year and learn behind a vet which is the preferred method if you can get away with it.

Back