Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans V Indianapolis Ponies Game Day thread

Try to have a short memory. It is a brand new season and we are 1-0 (in regular season) haven't lost a game yet! Try to be positive. Let's talk about the next game.

Go Texans!!!

I find it highly unlikely that we beat Brees or RuthlessRaper
even playing our best. As much as I love where we are, we're
not superbowl contenders..

TJ

We're still only playing one half of football.
Too many damned turnovers - one in the Red Zone.
When you take "your foot off the gas" or start "coasting" you get sloppy.

I don't like it.
We won't beat Brees or Roethelisberger with sloppy play like this

I strongly believe if it was close there would have been a different looking 2nd half. How about that 1st half??

I can't believe the postgame chatter on this board is already turning negative.

haters hate, nuff said....

Total domination on both sides and special teams, yet still bitching....

Some people, just want to watch the world burn instead of making it a great place to live....

I strongly believe if it was close there would have been a different looking 2nd half. How about that 1st half??

I can't believe the postgame chatter on this board is already turning negative.

Not being negative. Just pointing out the things that need polishing up. We strive to be a playoff team, right?
Well playoff teams don't take entire halfs off.
Playoff teams minimize turnovers.
All I'm saying is we still have a bit of work to do.

Not being negative. Just pointing out the things that need polishing up. We strive to be a playoff team, right?

Maybe, but I'm of the belief that you always savor the W on Sunday, and get to work on correcting stuff Monday.

I find it highly unlikely that we beat Brees or RuthlessRaper
even playing our best. As much as I love where we are, we're
not superbowl contenders..

TJ

Lots of teams that have won superbowls were not dominant throughout the season.

It's about getting hot at the right time.

It's the first game. I expect the team to get better.

I couldn't really watch the game - can someone tell me:

- how much pressure did we put on the QB (and how did Mario look at OLB)?

Pressure all first half, Collins had maybe one or two decent passes he was able to get away, the rest were hurried or he couldn't let his WRs get into their routes enough.

In second half, we loosened up the QB rushing on d-line (IMO) and scaled it back some. Collins started hitting his WRs and Dallas Clark. They scored a passing TD to Wayne. Almost scored one with Collie in the same fashion (back of the end zone on a crossing pattern).

At THAT point, the texans d-line turned up the heat almost like a light switch being flipped. Mario nails Collins and makes a fumble. He had one sack, another sack that was based on him hurrying Collins into a Intentional Grounding, and then this sack that created the fumble.

- did Mario drop into coverage? How did he look?

Mario pretty much went after the QB all game. Didn't notice him covering much at all. Though he might have a time or two.

-how was our secondary?

#24 J-Joseph bit HARD on a Slugo (Slant and Go) route by Garcon, and only Collins missing a wide open Garcon kept them from scoring a TD. To his credit, J-Joseph was biting on the slant because it looked like Garcon was trying to slant and get the 1st down on a 3rd down and about 7-yard play. Still, no safety help there...which looked really bad to me.

- how was our run defense?

Pretty good. JJ Watt in on a lot of plays. Cushing playing a good game, too. DeMeco, to me, was quiet all day but maybe I wasn't watching for him enough. Overall, Addai was a non-factor. But in fairness, the Colts were playing catch-up football the whole way. No time to run.

- how impressive was Ben Tate?

Very impressive. Quick hips like Foster, broke lots of 7 yarders, lots of 9 and 10 yarders. Scored a rushing TD. But fumbled in 4th qtr and, IIRC, led to the Colts first TD to Wayne in the back of the end zone.

Ward supposedly twisted an ankle. Not sure how severe it is, but Slaton was in for a few plays (and looked pretty good!) and then Tate was the back for the rest of the game.

- how bad were the Colts?

They are somewhat bad. In fairness to them (leaving the homer in me out of this discussion for the time being) they were shell-shocked to be on the road, vs. the Texans, on opening day (like they were last year) and without #18 at QB. Naturally, Collins was rusty vs. our defense in the 1st half. We let off the gas pedal, on Defense, in the second half and then turned it on to stop them when they were about to score on us in the Red Zone.

They will get better, but they won't be like they were. Collins has more weapons in Indy than he had recently with the Titans. He has Clark, Collie, Wayne, Garcon, and Addai. His worst enemy is the Colts lack of a run defense. However, not every Colts opponent runs the ball like we do.

I give them credit: They didn't lay down and die. They took whatever he gave them, and we shouldn't have let them have anything. Fans here are concerned about what might have been "coasting" by the Texans in the 2nsd half. Although I think it might be hard for a Texans offense and defense to naturally have that same "amp'd up" attitude after you've just royally kicked ass for 30 minutes of the first half. I am sure Wade will work on them this week.

My responses are in red. Fellow fans, let us know (by your own responses) if I misrepresented something or failed to address an issue or four.

despite winning the game...i cant believe we didnt score any points in the 2nd half...i know we werent really trying in the 2nd half but the colts just looked terrible. I was kinda hoping to get a 40 burger. oh well im still happy! Hopefully next week mario gets to lay out reggie bush.

I don't think they took a half off.

Great game overall, but yes if we plan to run with the big boys there are some things to cleanup. Mainly the TO's. 3 TO's one deep in your own territory will get you beat against a good opponent 9 out of 10 times. Luckily today, we so thoroughly dominated the first half it wasn't an issue.

Also, at times the rush was not what I would like to see. Having said that, there were a number of great pass rushes that produced TO's etc. But those were mostly Mario on Clark a mismatch to be sure.

Last negative I will mention is the lack (once again) of any kind of killer instinct. We should have won this game with a score in the 40's, but Kubes not only took the foot off the gas pedal, it felt like he was driving with the emergency brake set. I grant you, it would have made ZERO difference in winning today. But it's all about a mindset, a mentality and in those tougher games you want that killer instinct, that ability to always be going 100 MPH and putting the foot on the throat. Face it, Kubes is too freaking nice.

Other than those 3 items, I give the rest of it an A+. All in all, I'm thrilled and I think we may have finally exercised those Colt demons. I believe we can now go to Indy and sweep these guys, I really do. The D is obviously vastly improved, the special teams were truly special today, and when it counted the offense moved the ball at will and other than a couple of times, they only stopped themselves. Great game. Now let's go get the Dolphins! :splits:

Excellent summary, GP.
I don't think you missed much. I'll add that Mario had two sacks and a forced fumble. Antonio Smith had a sack and a forced fumble. The D looked pretty good until we started playing a bunch of zone in the 4th qtr.

The coverage was as tight as I've ever seen it. Only once or twice - all game - was a Colts WR able to get significant YAC yds.

New guy needs to learn to hold on to a damned football. Had it been a close game he would have cost us. Defense started to relax a little in the 2nd half. Thats not good. Full throttle as long as you're on the field. ANY lapse can equal points and they equalled 7. FAIL!

What we learned during this game:

1. Peyton Manning covered up so many issues for the Colts. They all showed up Sunday.

The offensive line couldn’t protect Kerry Collins. The running game was nowhere to be found. The team struggled to recognize Houston’s blitzes. Special teams was poor, as usual. The defense couldn’t stop the run, as usual.

2. Collins started 5-for-5, but that came with two lost fumbles. Both Colts tackles looked a little lost at times. Communication was an issue for Indy’s offensive line.

3. It doesn’t matter who’s at running back for the Texans. When Derrick Ward left with an injury at halftime, Ben Tate finished the job with 116 yards and a touchdown. We even had a Steve Slaton sighting.

Houston is the new Denver. Their offensive line is that good; any back they play will get yards.

4. So much for that slow transition to Wade Phillips’ defense. Mario Williams had two sacks. Antonio Smith was possibly more disruptive and looked like a perfect fit for the defense. Rookie J.J. Watt was a huge factor all day.

It was the perfect first week opponent for Houston. Now the defense has confidence the new scheme works.

5. The Texans are favorites in the AFC South. It doesn’t mean we should just hand them the division, but they should be able to create distance with Indy in short order. Tennessee and Jacksonville have issues.
link

So that makes it 5-0 when I go to the games! What an atmosphere! I need to set up a fund for season tickets haha! The only complaint I have is that we didn't score one more time on the opening drive of the second half. Oh, and the Colts fans behind me that decided to scream every time they made a play!

Best moment of the game goes to the guy sitting in section 624, for whenever the Colts finally got on the board, all he said to the Colts fans was "looks like the Colts finally decided to show up to the game!"

If they did not have work to do, we would have nothing to talk about here.

Apparently, we're not allowed to bring up areas of possible improvement if we win.

I'm going to see how long that lasts.

I think you're over selling it here. Everyone knows that we had two bad plays in the second half. We all know that we need to work with Eric Winston on the false start thing. We all know there are things we need to work with.

Some of us just don't think we need a thread titled, "& how many points did we score in the second half?"

& then the reasons given in that thread about why we were so bad are ridiculous & off base.

If you really want to get into it, how many points did we score when the defense didn't put us inside their 20? Take away the 7 from ST... The offense scored 13 points all game.

That's a bigger problem than zero points in the second half.

Great game overall, but yes if we plan to run with the big boys there are some things to cleanup. Mainly the TO's. 3 TO's one deep in your own territory will get you beat against a good opponent 9 out of 10 times. Luckily today, we so thoroughly dominated the first half it wasn't an issue.

Also, at times the rush was not what I would like to see. Having said that, there were a number of great pass rushes that produced TO's etc. But those were mostly Mario on Clark a mismatch to be sure.

Last negative I will mention is the lack (once again) of any kind of killer instinct. We should have won this game with a score in the 40's, but Kubes not only took the foot off the gas pedal, it felt like he was driving with the emergency brake set. I grant you, it would have made ZERO difference in winning today. But it's all about a mindset, a mentality and in those tougher games you want that killer instinct, that ability to always be going 100 MPH and putting the foot on the throat. Face it, Kubes is too freaking nice.

Other than those 3 items, I give the rest of it an A+. All in all, I'm thrilled and I think we may have finally exercised those Colt demons. I believe we can now go to Indy and sweep these guys, I really do. The D is obviously vastly improved, the special teams were truly special today, and when it counted the offense moved the ball at will and other than a couple of times, they only stopped themselves. Great game. Now let's go get the Dolphins! :splits:

I agree for the most part. However, we were throwing the ball inside the Colts 10 at the start of the 4th. We would've scored over 40 if it weren't for the boneheaded pick from Schaub.

We definitely took the foot off the pedal after that drive though.

Overall, I was disappointed in the amount of TO's. To me, finishing a game like that is taking care of the ball and running it down their throats (like MJD did to us couple years ago)

Back