Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans Survey

I think it would be different if Tennesse had kept the Oiler name, but they chose to be the Titans leaving the Oiler name kind of languishing out there without a home.
Indy kept the Colts name, the Rams kept the Rams when they moved to St.Louis, the Raiders were always the Raiders, but when the Titans changed their name, they rejected the Oiler name, it's proud history; we won the first 2 Championships, lost in double O/T in the 3rd one.
A bunch of us grew up with the Oilers, our Dad's took us to our 1st Oiler game, old memories from a different time when we were kids, rehashing the game on Monday morning at breakfast before school with our parents and brothers and sisters...for many when our parents were still alive...but make no mistake, we're now Texan fans, but to me and many others, the Oilers will always be in our DNA. I'd change their name and put them in Columbia blue in a heartbeat if I could, can't help it....I can still see Tim blocking for Earl! Bum, Dante, Kenny, and Billy doin' his dance, Curly, Elvin and Carl, Dr. Doom, Warren, Drew and Ernest, Bruce and Munch, I can see 'em all.
Yeah, I ain't scared to say it, the Oilers are in my blood, nothing can change that.
But it's a new day, a new team and we're all behind our Texans 100%, but try not to get so twisted when some of us older fellas on occation get a little teary-eyed about our Oilers.

Oilers featured Columbia Blue and White helmets at inception. Later they added the Red stripe. Then they progressed to my favorite Silver, Columbia Blue, Red and White helmets. Columbia Blue, Red and White made a comeback…..then the final iteration arrived with the White, Columbia Blue, and White arrived on the scene.

Personally, I really like the Toro logo better than the Oil Derrick. So, I’ve always wanted to see the Silver upgraded to a Metallic Gray and the Steel Blue replaced with a new version of Columbia Blue. Include new Gray pants with a large Columbia Blue stripe and Red accent stripes.

I think it would be different if Tennesse had kept the Oiler name, but they chose to be the Titans leaving the Oiler name kind of languishing out there without a home.
Indy kept the Colts name, the Rams kept the Rams when they moved to St.Louis, the Raiders were always the Raiders, but when the Titans changed their name, they rejected the Oiler name, it's proud history; we won the first 2 Championships, lost in double O/T in the 3rd one.
A bunch of us grew up with the Oilers, our Dad's took us to our 1st Oiler game, old memories from a different time when we were kids, rehashing the game on Monday morning at breakfast before school with our parents and brothers and sisters...for many when our parents were still alive...but make no mistake, we're now Texan fans, but to me and many others, the Oilers will always be in our DNA. I'd change their name and put them in Columbia blue in a heartbeat if I could, can't help it....I can still see Tim blocking for Earl! Bum, Dante, Kenny, and Billy doin' his dance, Curly, Elvin and Carl, Dr. Doom, Warren, Drew and Ernest, Bruce and Munch, I can see 'em all.
Yeah, I ain't scared to say it, the Oilers are in my blood, nothing can change that.
But it's a new day, a new team and we're all behind our Texans 100%, but try not to get so twisted when some of us older fellas on occation get a little teary-eyed about our Oilers.

I get the nostalgia factor. I grew up a big Oilers fan and thought it was kinda sad that some of the old Oiler greats were kinda just left in limbo when they left. But they did leave and did so with the owner double rodding the city on his way out.

Sure, there’s some great memories, and no one can take those away. I mean I still get chills watching Earl plow that Rams player or watching the Dolphins highlights. I wasn’t alive for the AFL championships, and I doubt those really had a whole lot of meaning in an upstart league, but there’s been a ton more letdowns and heartbreak from that team, culminating in them up and abandoning the city, history and everything that goes with it. So forgive me if I’m not as sentimental as others are.

I don’t like that the Texans started out as bland as they did, name, colors and all that, but I’m not wanting them to have anything to do with the colors of a team that told the city of Houston and it’s fans screw you.

You do a good job of mentioning the good times with the Oilers and yes those were some great times. However, you failed to mention the dark days of back to back 1-13 seasons, Ed Hughes and Bill Peterson, Chuck Studley and Ed Biles. 35-3 and 28-20. Buddy Ryan face punching Gilbride, Ladd Herzeg mooning a wedding Party, Bud Adams...

Love your Oiler memories, but please don't infect the Texans with their name and colors.
Those bad days were followed by better days thanks to Sid Gillman/Bum and later believe it or not Ladd Herzeg/Mike Holovak.

I get the nostalgia factor. I grew up a big Oilers fan and thought it was kinda sad that some of the old Oiler greats were kinda just left in limbo when they left. But they did leave and did so with the owner double rodding the city on his way out.

Sure, there’s some great memories, and no one can take those away. I mean I still get chills watching Earl plow that Rams player or watching the Dolphins highlights. I wasn’t alive for the AFL championships, and I doubt those really had a whole lot of meaning in an upstart league, but there’s been a ton more letdowns and heartbreak from that team, culminating in them up and abandoning the city, history and everything that goes with it. So forgive me if I’m not as sentimental as others are.

I don’t like that the Texans started out as bland as they did, name, colors and all that, but I’m not wanting them to have anything to do with the colors of a team that told the city of Houston and it’s fans screw you.
Well, it was one man. The players had nothing to do with that.
But in Bud's defense, the Astrodome was a joke and small in NFL terms. I know it got a face lift a few years prior, but it was still a dump. I remember them.having to cancel a preseason game with both teams on the field due to the condition of the Astroturf.

But in Bud's defense, the Astrodome was a joke and small in NFL terms. I know it got a face lift a few years prior, but it was still a dump. I remember them.having to cancel a preseason game with both teams on the field due to the condition of the Astroturf.
Great memories and also in the 8th Wonder Of The World

I don't have anything against the players. Still doesn't mean I want anything to do with anything about that franchise anymore. It is the same family that owns them.

As for the Texans, they've been looking for an identity since their inception. Like I said, they did it about as bland as you could get it. I just don't think that moving back to the past helps with them getting an identity. All that would do is play on the sentiments of some of us old timers still hanging onto the past of a totally different franchise. How does that give this franchise their own identity? There's already an entire generation that doesn't even know who the Oilers are. Let's go forward not backward.

I don't have anything against the players. Still doesn't mean I want anything to do with anything about that franchise anymore. It is the same family that owns them.

As for the Texans, they've been looking for an identity since their inception. Like I said, they did it about as bland as you could get it. I just don't think that moving back to the past helps with them getting an identity. All that would do is play on the sentiments of some of us old timers still hanging onto the past of a totally different franchise. How does that give this franchise their own identity? There's already an entire generation that doesn't even know who the Oilers are. Let's go forward not backward.

Bringing the Oilers color scheme back and using them for the Texans would be merging of two concepts near and dear to every Houston Oilers/Texans fans. A way to please both sides while bringing some new energy back to the City of Houston.

Bringing back a modern version of the Astros didn’t hurt the franchise at all. Matter of a fact, most fans were tired of the brick uniforms, and really welcomed the old colors. Of course, winning really made the new uniforms rock.

The timing of the introduction for a Texans “color” change……maybe the 2024 season is absolutely right time. It could be an electric time if the new uniforms rock and the Texans put together a serious winning season of 10+ wins. I’m just going to stay optimistic about this projection.

Bringing back a modern version of the Astros didn’t hurt the franchise at all. Matter of a fact, most fans were tired of the brick uniforms, and really welcomed the old colors. Of course, winning really made the new uniforms rock.
The Astros didn't leave town and become the Senators, and there was no new team named the Houstonians trying to go back and become the Astros

The Astros didn't leave town and become the Senators, and there was no new team named the Houstonians trying to go back and become the Astros

It was just about a color change…..It never had anything to do with the Oilers move but their legacy, I never cared for the Adams Family.

As someone who doesn't live in Houston and doesn't give a **** about the Oilers, I must say I do have respect for the Oilers history in Houston and that very many Texans fans were, originally, Oilers fans.

The Texans are not the Oilers. Entirely different franchise. It would be foolish to go back to that.

When season ticket sales (and related game day revenues) are no longer bringing in money from local fans, changing your uniform scheme is a smart way to recoup the lost profits.

People are suckers for new threads.

Come on DB - give people some credit, not everyone is a sucker for new threads... but for those who are PM me to get your 'No New Colors' t-shirt! (I kid of course).

1676331356686.png

It does not help them to try and adopt another teams identity that they had nothing to do with. If anything the one path to getting past the Oilers legacy would be to eclipse it with an identity of their own. Since the Texans never succeeded in creating one we find ourselves looking to the past for something to connect with.

As I said before I'm over the Oilers and don't want them back or want the Texans to try and adopt their image. I just want them to make something of themselves. Someday. The inevitable comparisons to the Astros and Rockets serve to demonstrate that it's never too late. The Rockets had their false starts and near misses with quite a few "Who cares" seasons mixed in there but eventually 94-95 came around and they got an identity out of that. Squandered it eventually but it did happen. Astros weren't much different. Lots of futility before they had limited success but eventually good decisions made things come together and now they're the class of the city's sports teams. All the Texans have to do is put it together and exceed the fairly low bar the Oilers set. We're waiting.

I could get on board with something like that. I don’t think Cowboy fan would be too thrilled about the star though. And I’d prefer they make red the main color, or at least go with a red helmet. The Chiefs are the only team in the AFC using red as primary. There’s lots of blue.
If I’m seeing it correctly on the other shoulder is the rest of the TX flag so pretty cool concept. I also would dig red as base color. The Cowboys star is silver and I’d bet most DAL fans don’t line it up with the state of TX. Hell, I’d bet most Dallas fans aren’t from TX or live in TX.

If I’m seeing it correctly on the other shoulder is the rest of the TX flag so pretty cool concept. I also would dig red as base color. The Cowboys star is silver and I’d bet most DAL fans don’t line it up with the state of TX. Hell, I’d bet most Dallas fans aren’t from TX or live in TX.

I like the orange star & H in your helmet

though definitely in the minority, i favor this concept (w/Texans colors...red being primary)
1676345592592.png
Nothing arena league about it

Some of y’all may blow a fuse.

I heard this earlier this morning and my initial reaction was that this news is very coincidental to the pictures being posted teasing the old Oilers colors as potentially related to the Texans new uniforms.

I immediately wondered if the Texans were actually successful at acquiring the colors and possibly the name from the Titans, and this is part of the leadup to that being made public.

Yes I realize this is a huge stretch. Just relating my initial reaction when I heard this news

I heard this earlier this morning and my initial reaction was that this news is very coincidental to the pictures being posted teasing the old Oilers colors as potentially related to the Texans new uniforms.

I immediately wondered if the Texans were actually successful at acquiring the colors and possibly the name from the Titans, and this is part of the leadup to that being made public.

Yes I realize this is a huge stretch. Just relating my initial reaction when I heard this news

No. This is a FU by the Titans' owner. Basically saying Houston is not getting the Oilers' name, history, and uniforms back.

Some of y’all may blow a fuse.

Tennessee Oilers? Guess the oil ties in with being an inbred :shades:

Funny you wrote this, as I did my offseason roadmap yesterday and today that covers a lot of the same territory and comes to many of the same conclusions as you:

Houston Texans Offseason Roadmap (I did the first one for FanHouse, and the other writers will be doing similar discussions of the other teams in the league over the next couple of weeks).

It's written mostly for Texans fans, but provides information to people less familiar with the team too. Already there's some thoughtful comments in there.

Interestingly, the Texans ended up ranked 4th in the entire league in red zone offense for the year.

As for the inbreds of Uranus, here's the proof:

Link to inbred, child-eating, ultimately defeated Titans video:cowboy1:

Back