Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans Official OTA's and Minicamp Thread

I have a chocolate filled donut I am willing to trade down. Anyone interested? (man I hope Infantrycak does not see this. He will besmirch me again about my trading).

If that was a chocolate covered bavarian creme filled eclair you'd have my interest

Texans QB Tom Savage 'healthy and ready to roll'
By Aaron Wilson

Published 2:25 pm, Friday, May 27, 2016

Back from missing an entire season due to a shoulder injury, reserve quarterback Tom Savage delivered the football with zip and accuracy this week during the Texans' first organized team activity.

Savage is trying to climb the depth chart after previously being the third-string quarterback. The Texans signed Brock Osweiler to a four-year, $72 million contract to be their new starter and brought back Brandon Weeden on a two-year, $4 million contract to back him up.

"I'm healthy and ready to roll," said Savage, who's entering his third NFL season. "Whatever I can do to help Brock. He's a great guy and we're all just trying to win. I'm going to be out there competing. The day I stop competing is the day I quit this sport. I'm out here to make everyone better."

Sorry ObsiWan, just kidding with you. How sad for us fans isn't it? We just want to know how well our team is doing.
no worries, Mate.
And yes, it is kind of sad.
in fact, I'm starting to wonder if O'Brien is going to have practices open to the fans during TC this year

I have a chocolate filled donut I am willing to trade down. Anyone interested? (man I hope Infantrycak does not see this. He will besmirch me again about my trading).
glazed or cake?
...it's important

I think the bagel/donut talk is code for the Texans working on the no back offense, with Lamar Miller split out.

But don't tell anyone.
Careful.... O'Brien has tattle-tales scoping this MB. You could be banned from training camp

Andre Hal building up for big things with Texans

Growing up in Louisiana by the west bank of the Mississippi River, Texans safety Andre Hal was raised with a strong taste for traditional Cajun cooking

As one the smaller starting safeties in the league at roughly 5-10, 195 pounds, that appetite has come in handy as Hal has gradually put on weight while maintaining his speed since converting from cornerback last season.

Hal has haunted the Texans' weight room. Plus, his mother, Lisa West, has been to town to whip up some hearty meals of crawfish etoufee, cornbread and fried chicken.

"I have put on some weight," Hal said. "I lifted more this year and gained some strength, and the weight came with the strength."

Drafted in the seventh round two years ago out of Vanderbilt, Hal built up his body armor to become sturdier for the punishment he's required to dish out and absorb at the safety position. Although his primary duties and forte are pass coverage where he intercepted a career-high four passes last season in his first year as a starter, Hal had to regularly take on blocks from offensive linemen who outweigh him by more than 100 pounds. He once caught some friendly fire from massive nose tackle Vince Wilfork last season when he got accidentally crushed by him while defending a screen.

Hal is part of a growing trend of smaller safeties with teams emphasizing mobility and coverage skills rather than employing a bulkier safety that resembles an extra linebacker. That includes Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl safety Tyrann Mathieu, who also lined up at corner and is generously listed on the roster at 5-9, 186 pounds.

"I've never been one of the bigger guys," Hal said. "I don't think size matters. You see Tyrann Mathieu, he's one of the best safeties in the league right now. He's not the biggest guy. It doesn't really matter about your size. It's about your heart and your mindset.

"I go out there and play hard like I'm not afraid of anything," he said. "You can't be afraid."

Hal has always been a natural athlete.

He was a state champion and record-setting 200-meter relay sprinter in Port Allen, which is located near Baton Rouge and has a population of 5,180. He was also a basketball player, and an all-state football who had nine interceptions in his final two seasons of high school and returned five kickoffs for touchdowns.

"Andre has got a big heart," said Hal's father, Andre Hal Sr. "He's not scared of the contact. He was always one of the smallest guys on the field, even in pee wee football. He was never afraid of anything."

That fearless philosophy paid major dividends for Hal and the Texans' third-ranked defense last season.

Installed as a starter for the first time against Jacksonville when Quintin Demps was sidelined with a hamstring injury, Hal led the Texans in interceptions and finished with a career-high 34 tackles in 12 starts, including the playoffs.

In his first start during an October road win over the Jaguars, Hall shadowed athletic tight end Julius Thomas and took advantage of quarterback Blake Bortles' tendency to force passes for a pair of interceptions. He returned one 31 yards, strutting into the end zone for a touchdown.

It was a welcome development for the defense to have an instinctive presence in the lineup after veteran safety Rahim Moore struggled and was benched.

With the Texans so crowded at the cornerback position, including Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson and Kevin Johnson, moving Hal to safety allowed them to strengthen a weak position.

"We took a corner and made him a safety, and he had to go through growing pains," defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said at the close of last season. "He's adapting nicely and understanding where he needs to fit, how he needs to cover and be able to match up on receivers and tight ends. Then he'll come up and tackle as well. That bodes well for a safety."

The Texans didn't make major personnel moves at safety this offseason. They cut Moore, who signed with the Cleveland Browns. And they retained Demps and signed former New York Jets safety Antonio Allen. They picked West Virginia safety K.J. Dillon in the fifth round.

It amounts to a vote of confidence for Hal.

"I guess so," said Hal, who held a youth football camp in his hometown for the second year in a row for 150 kids that was attended by former Texans cornerback Darryl Morris and Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jordan Matthews, a former Vanderbilt teammate. "Last year, they gave me an opportunity and I made the most of it. I took advantage of it. This is my second year at safety and they have more trust in me and my ability to make plays.

"I just want to win. I want to get to the playoffs again and win some games and make some plays on defense and be an impact player."

Hal is determined to build on what he accomplished last season when he established himself as a reliable starter capable of making big plays.

During the Texans' first organized team activity practice last week, Hal arguably had the most impressive play when he leapt behind him and twisted his body to pick off a Brock Osweiler pass for an interception.

Hal enjoys the camaraderie with his fellow defensive backs, including a regular hangout every Thursday, and credited that with boosting chemistry on the field.

Hal hopes that familiarity will allow the defense to get off to a faster start this year. The Texans ranked third in the NFL against the pass last season after a rough beginning.

"We're a very close group, we're like brothers," Hal said. "We're really tight. I think it will be easier for us to click earlier, just build more of that trust and communication and go out and play fast and know what each other is going to do without saying anything, just be able to read each others' minds. We want to do it on the run, flying around and having fun."

One of the best parts about picking up high character and mostly high motivated players is that you generally don't have to worry about locker room problems caused by immaturity. The Texans seem to always have a pretty grounded and hard working group of players each season.

Im a hal fan as well.

My concern is the spot opposite of him. Antonio Allen seems an overlooked acquisition. Will Lonnie Ballentine ever live up to the athletic stories we hear about again and again in training camp only to be sidelined year long with injuries? Eddie Pleasant is the vet capable of filling multiple positions but nondescript. He's a role player with grit but never stands out.Who is kj dDillon? What will the rookie do?

Minus the ed reed debacle it feels like the safety position has always been an afterthought for this team. I guess one could argue Daniel manning and rahim Moore prove otherwise? It still feels like a weak link.

Ive been a fan of converting corners to safetys since rod woodson. I wouldn't mind seeing aj bouye get some reps in camp to see what happens.

tempDSC_8146--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempDSC_8125--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
tempDSC_8115--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

supposed actual OTA photos showing our QB throwing the ball. no word whether any of these "passes" were caught or intercepted.
:)

tempDSC_8146--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempDSC_8125--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
tempDSC_8115--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

supposed actual OTA photos showing our QB throwing the ball. no word whether any of these "passes" were caught or intercepted.
:)
Hey, if you add Savage and Weeden's jersey numbers, they add up to what you get if you add Os' jersey number. :D

Im a hal fan as well.

My concern is the spot opposite of him. Antonio Allen seems an overlooked acquisition. Will Lonnie Ballentine ever live up to the athletic stories we hear about again and again in training camp only to be sidelined year long with injuries? Eddie Pleasant is the vet capable of filling multiple positions but nondescript. He's a role player with grit but never stands out.Who is kj dDillon? What will the rookie do?

Minus the ed reed debacle it feels like the safety position has always been an afterthought for this team. I guess one could argue Daniel manning and rahim Moore prove otherwise? It still feels like a weak link.

Ive been a fan of converting corners to safetys since rod woodson. I wouldn't mind seeing aj bouye get some reps in camp to see what happens.

This is a player that blew out his Achilles last preseason. I'd be very guarded in counting on him. That's a terrible injury, especially for a safety.

Really excited about Hal this season. He really stepped up last year and did what Rahim Moore was supposed to do solidifying that ball hawking safety role on this team. I expect him to make a jump this season with another year under his belt learning the position and coming into the season as our starter.

This is a player that blew out his Achilles last preseason. I'd be very guarded in counting on him. That's a terrible injury, especially for a safety.
Yeah I don't have him on 53 roster as of now.He only costs 80K if he gets cut so worth the look see. Hoping Drummond and Ballantine make huge leaps this year as I want to erase safety as a need in 2017

Hoping Drummond and Ballantine make huge leaps this year as I want to erase safety as a need in 2017

I didn't see safety as a need after Hal was inserted into the lineup last season. Demps is a decent player. Our corners are top notch which allows us to not necessarily need stellar safety talent to get production out of the position.

I think between Dillon and Drummond one of them will be a pleasant surprise and factor into the rotation at safety pushing Demps for playing time.

I didn't see safety as a need after Hal was inserted into the lineup last season. Demps is a decent player. Our corners are top notch which allows us to not necessarily need stellar safety talent to get production out of the position.

I think we've got good-to-great cover/zone corners. They'll make the QB's job hard, the receivers to have to work, & seriously limit big plays. Hard to replace them.

But we need some dynamics in the secondary, a dynamo that makes things happen. Seeing how much we have invested in the CB position & the production we are getting, it only makes sense to find that dynamo in a safety.

I like Demps but he turns 31 June 29th and while not a "kick him out he's old" I think we need to be ready to replace him at moment's notice; is that Ballantine (if healthy), Drummond or rookie Dillon? I think our starters should be at least average this season so safety not a dire need.

CB Bouye needs to dig himself out of obscurity or health issue and get back to where he was in 2014. We basically have three corners in KJ, K Johnson and Joseph (32) and the latter could just lose it at anytime. I don't want to be seen as chicken little but would feel better having someone ready to join the starters. Charles James is fan favorite but I've not seen enough of him for good evaluation. I would draft red shirt sophomore Marlin Humphrey round one if he comes out and has season I expect. If not, I look for Chidobe Awuzie (chi-doe-be Ah-wooz-yeh) in round three.

Looks like we'll have a very fast offense this year... wish we could add some speed to the defense also

Rookie TE Stephen Anderson impressing Texans coach Bill O'Brien
By Aaron Wilson

Published 5:50 pm, Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Bolting into his pattern, Texans rookie tight end Stephen Anderson accelerated away from pursuit after catching an intermediate pass in stride over the middle.

Anderson repeated that sequence a few more time during an organized team activity, creating an impression with his athleticism and skill set.

Anderson is a hybrid pass-catching type from Cal with the size of an H-back and the speed of a wide receiver.

Although the Texans didn't draft a tight end, they beat out several NFL teams to sign Anderson after the draft. He visited the Miami Dolphins and worked out privately for the New England Patriots Tennessee Titans and Atlanta Falcons prior to the draft.

The litmus test for Anderson will come later when there's actual contact and linebackers jamming him at the line of scrimmage. For now, though, he's earned a rare compliment from Texans coach Bill O'Brien.

"Stephen Anderson, who to this point has done a really good job of learning the plays and going out there in a non-padded practice," O'Brien said. "He’s shown us some good things, but again the true test will come in training camp.

The Rundown: Houston Texans OTAs #4
Unknown.jpeg

Patrick Starr
2:32 PM
A closer look at the Houston Texans #4 OTA practice of the 2016 season.

The Houston Texans wrapped up their 4th OTAs practice and it has taken some positive turns since their last time on the field. Lets take a look at the five early looks from their day out on the field.

Bill O’Brien shed light on the the Texans waiving David Quessenberry. The organization felt he would not be ready for the season and he was “burning the candle at both ends” when it came to football and his recovery. The organization felt the treatments he had left played into the decision process to finally waive him. The Texans are hoping he can pass through waivers so they can place him on the NFi list and have him on the roster for the 2017 roster. The Texans feel Quessenberry has a better chance to play football next season.

We say this with caution but the idea that the Texans defense could be what they were last season. It is showing with the defense in good form to start OTAs. Their top twelve to thirteen defenders return for 2016 and on the field the defense looks smooth and most impressive attribute of the unit is the communication coming from the group. No one is afraid to talk to each other and Quintin Demps and Andre Hal are the most notable making calls and discussing situations with teammates after each play. Brian Cushing and Benardrick McKinney are also a nice combination and have helped streamline the defense in directing traffic when the offense breaks the huddle. This a unit that is picking up right from where they were last season but temper expectations because every season is a new one.

One thing noted from Brock Osweiler today is the amount of coaching he does after each play with teammates. Getting with teammates about particulars in plays and making sure the entire team is on the same page. The offense is taking to him as a leader and today he threw the ball well. With connections to DeAndre Hopkins, Cecil Shorts III and Jaelen Strong the early returns are solid. Osweiler looks much better than day one out at OTAs and it showed today on the field with a much smoother offensive day.

Jadeveon Clowney has continued to take to the coaching that Mike Vrabel has given to him over the past three seasons. Clowney has become a better technician with his pass rush moves and it is the constant back and forth between coach and player that have helped refine his skills. He is constantly woking his hand game and it is much more violent in 2016 than previous seasons.

Lamar Miller is looking like a well tuned piece of the offense and he is getting his chance to show his skills catching the football. When plays breakdown, Miller’s athleticism takes over and he can run away from one on one coverages. He had some good hook ups with Osweiler in situations like these today getting in and out of breaks. One thing is for sure, not many linebackers can stay with him in the open field. Miller no doubt has the speed but he has plus hands that were not utilized much in Miami.

Two rookie free agent to watch are tight end Stephen Anderson and cornerback Richard Leonard. For rookie free agents early in the process, it is all about opportunity. Anderson and Leonard are getting just that to get themselves on film and they are showing well early.

Anderson continues to show what made him a potential target late in the draft when he was a pass catching threat for Cal. Holding his own versus NFL veterans, his best catch came from the arm of Osweiler when he ran a nice route and hit him in stride between two defenders. Anderson will have to make his living catching the ball at a high level and he has started in the right direction early.

As for Leonard, it is going to be open competition for the final cornerback spot and the rookie from Florida International is an early one to watch. A little bit on the smaller side measuring in at 5-9, Leonard has good feet and coverage abilities. He will have to produce on the inside of the defense and the concern is if he gets extended to the boundary against bigger receivers. He is a pesky player in coverage and has a good understanding of what is being asked of him and that alone is putting his name into the hat as training camp approaches.

Texans corner Kareem Jackson getting leaner this offseason
By Aaron Wilson

May 31, 2016

Planning a wedding and enjoying the growth of his young daughter, Jackson is putting a lot of thought into the design of his custom tuxedo to put a personal touch into his look for the ceremony.

"You only are supposed to get married once," Jackson said. "It’s definitely a big day, so a lot of thought went into it. I had to go custom. I don’t really want to give it away right now."

Jackson endured a painful season last year, battling through an ankle injury that sidelined him for four games in the middle of the season.

The veteran Texans cornerback still managed to finish the season strong, though, with 58 tackles, two interceptions, six passes defended, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in a dozen starts.

Healthy again and participating in the Texans' offseason program, Jackson is entering his seventh NFL season and the second year of a four-year, $33.943 million contract that included $20 million guaranteed and is due a $6 million fully guaranteed salary this year. "

"Definitely, the offseason has been great," Jackson said. "I've done a little traveling. I'm planning a wedding and watching my daughter get bigger. It's definitely been a great offseason.

"It's all about being healthy. I'm excited to come in healthy with no nagging injuries and put your best foot forward as a team and get things going in the right direction. I'm definitely looking forward to this year."
Jackson has been challenging the Texans' newcomers on offense
A former first-round draft pick from Alabama, Jackson has recorded 334 career tackles, 12 interceptions, 57 passes defended, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

Jackson has been enjoying competing in practice against the the Texans' offensive newcomers, including quarterback Brock Osweiler, running back Lamar Miller and wide receivers Will Fuller and Braxton Miller.
“Definitely, anytime we get on the field, anytime going against those guys is always a challenge," Jackson said. "With bringing Brock in and Lamar and drafting Will, those guys add a lot of speed. It’s definitely a challenge for us. It can only make us better. It gets us ready for the year. We’re definitely going to see some speed, so if we can see it in practice each and every day, it’s only going to make us better as a defense.”

The Texans ranked third in the NFL in total defense last season. They were third against the pass and return veteran starters in Jackson and Johnathan Joseph, who's recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery along with Kevin Johnson, Andre Hal and Quintin Demps.

“I feel great about the group," Jackson said. " With having years under your belt with everybody being together, you can play a lot faster. It’s almost like everybody is thinking the same out there because we’ve been together and we’ve been in different situations.

"I know how Andre (Hal) is going to react as opposed to Quintin or whoever I’m working with that’s on my side of the field. It only helps because it makes us stronger as a secondary and we have to be able to be on the same page out there. Being together for years that can only help. It helps as far as communication. It’s almost like you are all on one accord out there.”

Texans' tight ends defined by diversity, alphabet
By Aaron Wilson
May 31, 2016 Updated: May 31, 2016 9:02pm

C.J. Fiedorowicz is a classic rugged blocking tight end

Ryan Griffin is an imposing pass-catching type currently sidelined with an Achilles injury.
And undrafted rookie Stephen Anderson is a hybrid as a converted wide receiver.
Collectively, the unheralded tight ends skill sets run the gamut along with the alphabet in the Texans' playbook.

Fiedorowicz is a Y in the Texans' offense, which primarily is built around his blocking skills.
Griffin is a U who's primarily asked to catch passes and also hold his own as a blocker.
And Anderson and Anthony Denham are capable of flexing outside to utilize their speed.

"We have three different types of tight ends right now," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "We feel we have a Y, which is C.J., which primarily his role is to be a really good blocker on the edge of the defense for us, but he can help us in the passing game with certain things."

A former third-round draft pick from Iowa, Fiedorowicz caught 17 of 24 passes thrown to him for 167 yards and one touchdown last season. Fiedorowicz has ideal size at 6-6, 262 pounds.

"He's made a lot of progress," O'Brien said. "He's a really good blocker. He's become better at blocking over the two years that he's been here. I think one of the things that you've seen him do during this offseason program is get better in the passing game. He's more instinctive. He knows the plays better. He's a really, really hard worker. For him, his true improvement and his true playing will come in training camp when you put the full pads on."

"Right now, he's rehabbing his Achilles and he'll be back," O'Brien said. "He'll be back out there, whether that's for OTAs or not, I'm not sure on that yet but he'll be ready for training camp. A U is a guy who can do a few different things. He can block in a serviceable way and then he can really help us in the passing game.
"The key for Ryan Griffin is going to be health. It's going to be having the ability to be out there all the time once the season starts because he can really help us."

Anderson is a smaller tight end at 6-2, 230 pounds who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 and 4.62 seconds. He registered a 38-inch vertical leap and a 9-11 broad jump at the NFL scouting combine in February where he didn't run because of a hamstring injury. He had a three-cone drill of 6.95 seconds and a 4.13 short shuttle

A Pac-12 honorable-mention conference selection, Anderson trained at Performance Athletic Lab in Katy.

A former walk-on who earned a scholarship, Anderson caught 41 passes for 475 yards and two touchdowns last season. He caught 46 passes for 661 yards and five touchdowns as a junior. Denham spent last season on injured reserve.

"You have two F-type tight ends in Anthony Denham, who has been here, and Stephen Anderson, who to this point has done a really good job of learning the plays and going out there in a non-padded practice," O'Brien said. "He's shown us some good things, but the true test will come in training camp. So having those three different types of tight ends helps."

A preview of John Harris' write up today.

12 observations: Tuesday's OTAs

John Harris Texans Analyst

Although this was only the second day that we’ve seen the Texans on the field this offseason, they’re clearly well into phase three of the off-season program. Or is it phase four? I lose track after a while but I just know that it was another brick in the wall of the 2016 season. Well, the beginning of it anyway. Here are just a few observations from the day.
Video Loading

1. Much has been made of the tight end position since Coach Bill O’Brien and his staff took over...

2. During his post-practice press conference, Coach O’Brien went into great detail about...

3. Brock Osweiler spun the ball well and seemed extremely comfortable in...

4. When Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said last season that Brandon Weeden was...

5. The one consistent aspect of all three quarterbacks was the decision-making...

6. It’s becoming more and more clear that Osweiler is starting to understand....

7. Speaking of Hopkins, he and cornerback A.J. Bouye went at each other for the majority of practice...

8. But, it was nice to see Brock and Hop...

9. I mentioned safety Andre Hal last week as a guy who could really shine in 2016...

10. Lamar Miller's addition to this offense will assist the running game and that’s quite clear...

11. Rookie wide receiver Tevin Jones, from Memphis, had a solid workout...

12. Linebacker Brian Peters is well known for his special teams play...

Houston Texans Like the Start Jaelen Strong Has Had During OTAs
Patrick Starr
7:43 PM

The Houston Texans and especially Bill O'Brien is paying attention to Jaelen Strong's start to OTAs.

State of the Texans pointed out that Houston Texans wide receiver, Jaelen Strong, had a strong start to OTAs, and it is apparent that Bill O’Brien has taken notice of the second year wide receiver. With so much focus on the new additions from the draft, Texans head coach Bill O’Brien made sure to point out the early work Strong has put in for the team at the start of OTAs.

“I just said to him today how far he’s come,” said O’Brien of Strong. “He’s a guy that, a year ago today, I was concerned about him from a conditioning standpoint. I just didn’t know what type of condition he was in. It wasn’t very good.”

How bad was it? Strong came into rookie mini-camp tipping the scales for a wide receiver; weighing in at around 235 lbs., he could not finish practices during OTAs or mandatory mini-camp because of poor conditioning.

Prior to the start of training camp, Strong used that break to cut weight in a hurry and reported to training camp at 217 lbs., finally achieving 211 lbs mid-season. When adding in the rookie learning curve to the equation, Strong, when he did hit the field, made a visible difference on the offense when he touched the football.

“He really at some point in time before training camp, he came back and passed the conditioning test and really took off after that,” O’Brien said about Strong’s 2015 season. “He contributed in some games last year.”

Now Strong has come into OTAs locked in and he seems to be a completely different player from the rookie that showed up from Arizona State. O’Brien likes what he is seeing early from his second year wide receiver.

O’Brien finished his thoughts on Strong. “He had a really good offseason. He’s in really good shape. He’s playing well. Hopefully it continues. He’s a guy that we’re definitely counting on.”

Texans intrigued by Akeem Hunt's progress, speed

By Aaron Wilson

Updated 9:37 am, Thursday, June 2, 2016

Akeem Hunt displayed his trademark burst during the Texans' organized team activity, scooting upfield away from pursuit.

It was a familiar sequence for one of the fastest players on the roster.

The Texans have identified progress from Hunt after a rookie season where he flashed skill and versatility, albeit in spot action.

"He's a lot farther along than he was last year," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "We brought him in a little bit later on. He's got really good speed. He's a very hard worker. He's guy that we used a little bit in the passing game last year. He's helping us.

"You can see where he's trying to contribute more on special teams. He's got a little role that were trying to use him in on offense as far as being a receiving back, but also being able to run the football, too."

Now, Hunt is hoping to upgrade his role after playing in seven games with one start last season and rushing for 96 yards on 17 carries and catching six passes for 39 yards.

"I feel very positive about everything I did this year," Hunt said. "I learned a lot from everyone and just focused on improving. I'm excited about my future here."

The Texans promoted Hunt to the active roster from the practice squad on Nov. 21 after he was signed initially on Nov. 2 after previous stints with the New York Giants and Baltimore Ravens.

With 4.37 speed in the 40-yard dash, a 37.5-inch vertical leap, a 3.96 short shuttle and a 10-2 broad jump, Hunt's athleticism provided a change of pace to the Texans' offense.

Hunt finished his Purdue career with more than 4,600 all-purpose yards, rushing for 949 yards and catching 48 passes in his final season for the Boilermakers.

The Texans primarily used Hunt on sweeps and swing passes.

"They found ways to get me in space," said Hunt, who's under contract for this season with a $525,000 base salary. "I just want to keep their trust. It was fun. I just want to have a great offseason, keep getting strong and do more and more."

Between Hunt, new starter Lamar Miller and backups Alfred Blue and Jonathan Grimes, the Texans like the way the running back position is shaping up.

"I think our backfield situation is a pretty good one right now as far as different types of players, they're all having different types of skillsets from Lamar, Alfred, Grimes," O'Brien said. "You've got Akeem. You've got Kenny Hilliard. You have a lot of different types of backs there and Akeem is doing a good job."

New City, New Team and a New Role: Lamar Miller Is Hitting the Ground Running With the Houston Texans
Patrick Starr
Yesterday at 11:12 PM

Lamar Miller is getting settled with his new team and role with the Houston Texans.

One of the prized free agents for the Houston Texans in 2016, running back Lamar Miller, is getting adjusted to his new surroundings. After spending 24 years in Miami, for Miller, a Miami-native who attended the University of Miami and went on to play for the Miami Dolphins, coming to Houston was a big jump. Getting acclimated with his new team, Miller is having people close to him fly up week to week so he can have a familiar face near him as he adjusts and gets settled in his new home.

With so much to learn about his new team and on the football field, Miller is progressing quickly in the Texans offense and learning has much as he can during OTAs. Paired with quarterback Brock Osweiler, there are expectations that they will have to meet due to the contract each received during free agency.

“It’s pretty different terminology-wise, but you know, I’m just here every day just trying to get comfortable with everything,” said Miller of his new offense. “Just trying to get better.”

In four seasons with the Dolphins, Miller averaged around 12.4 touches per game in 63 career games. That is a low number for a go-to back in a NFL offense, but Miller feels there is plenty of good football in front of him with little wear and tear on his body.

“I think it’s good,” said Miller of his low workload with the Dolphins. “I still have a lot of miles left in me. I’m just looking forward to this opportunity with the Houston Texans and just try to make a run.”

During the off-season, the Texans were clear about their intention to improve speed and, most importantly, find backs out of the backfield who catch the football at a high level. Miller was primarily a screen player with the Dolphins, but he did get chances split out and showed he can win one-on-one situations. The Texans plan to take advantage of Miller’s untapped potential as a pass catcher.

“I’m very comfortable,” said Miller of catching the football. “That’s something that I work on throughout the whole offseason, catching the balls out of the backfield, whether it’s with some random quarterback or on the JUGS machine. That’s something that I practice on throughout the whole course of OTAs and the offseason.”

Time will tell on what Miller will bring to the table for the Texans but early impressions are positive for the new featured back.

Reactions: JB
Back