Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars. 11/27. 12 CT. CBS. **Official GameDay Thread**

I feel horrible for AJ, he's just gotta feel jinxed.

I feel horrible for the entire team. To be so close......Let's hope Kubiak spends 24/7 with Yates this week and seriously coaches him up to where he can do more than hand off the ball. Just one or two more plays would be nice.

Not a single head coach in the NFL will let a 3rd string rookie QB, activated for the 1st time ever, toss the ball around. This isn't Madden.

Finally... someone that has some sense around here!

I know a lot of people in here will complain that we won, despite Kubiak's play calling... and how wade saved his ass.

How do you know we didn't win BECAUSE of Kubes' conservative play calling? How do you know Yates doesn't throw 2 picks? How do you know the extra incomplete passes Yates may have thrown gives enough time to the Jags that last drive to score a TD?

Come on guys... you play smart football. Let your #1 defense and #2 rushing offense win this game, not a 3rd string QB.

no running game and a 3rd string QB might had something to do with it.

gone was the play action pass and roll outs
See, that is what puzzled me. It's possible to run relatively safe plays out of play action. But we didn't see it at all. I don't think anyone is suggesting the play calling shouldn't have become more conservative with Yates in there. But I think it was excessively conservative. Any QB good enough to be in the NFL needs to be trusted a *little* more than that.

The defense won this game on fumes and guts. They could do that for 30 minutes against a fairly weak offense... no way they can do that for 60 against a stronger offense.

I know a lot of people in here will complain that we won, despite Kubiak's play calling... and how wade saved his ass.

How do you know we didn't win BECAUSE of Kubes' conservative play calling? How do you know Yates doesn't throw 2 pics? How do you know the extra incomplete passes Yates may have thrown gives enough time to the Jags that last drive to score a TD?

Come on guys... you play smart football. Let your #1 defense and #2 rushing offense win this game, not a 3rd string QB.

I was thinking this also.

Hell, it's better than 5-7. :whip:

Not this week you don't...

I think, all things considered, Kubiak did what he felt he had to do in order to have the best chance to win the game.

Maybe grinding it out, via our defense, was the best bet to make.

He's never had a defense that can do that, like Wade's kids did today, so Kubiak chose to try it on for size. Turns out that it worked.

How many full practices do we have left? The CBA says there's a limit and I think we've only got two or three remaining. Right?

I suppose another round of QB tryouts this week, too? Or does he ring up one of the other four QBs who tried out last week and gets the guy in here ASAP?

Lots to digest.

Except that the #2 rushing offense won't look like the #2 rushing offense when the 11 guys on the other side of the field *know* you're going to run, and the #1 defense may not look like the #1 defense if it's on the field for something like 43 minutes of the game.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the play calling should not have changed and become more conservative. The disagreement here is a matter of degree, I think.

See, that is what puzzled me. It's possible to run relatively safe plays out of play action. But we didn't see it at all. I don't think anyone is suggesting the play calling shouldn't have become more conservative with Yates in there. But I think it was excessively conservative. Any QB good enough to be in the NFL needs to be trusted a *little* more than that.

The defense won this game on fumes and guts. They could do that for 30 minutes against a fairly weak offense... no way they can do that for 60 against a stronger offense.

while I agree surprised we didn't see more action with the TE.

To be fair the Jags have a great defense.

They played a large part in making our offense look bad...

Maybe the plane will make a detour to Hattiesburg on the way home.

That or time to get Warner off the NFLN.

I'd go with Favre.

I've been one of his greatest critics since his multiple retirements, but at this stage what are you to do? I can see this happening...he comes in here with that gunslinger of an arm, throwing to AJ. Wins the AFC with his new team and plays against his old team in the Superbowl and wins it! I can feel it!

I'm not sure I've ever been so glad to see a game END!! Our D pulled it off for us today, not sure about next week. Thank gawd for that 10 point lead, it was enough to get us through. I'm completely beat!!

Your right ,you wouldn't do that on a better offense . I'm sure if they were playing a better offense ,Kubes would of been forced to see what Yates could do.
But and there is a big BUT , you were playing sorry ass Jacksonville .

END OF DISCUSSION.

How do you know we didn't win BECAUSE of Kubes' conservative play calling? How do you know Yates doesn't throw 2 pics? How do you know the extra incomplete passes Yates may have thrown gives enough time to the Jags that last drive to score a TD?

Exactly. If you were to gauge how prepared a 3rd string 5th round rookie QB, on a scale of 1-10 what do you think it would be? I would say 4. Schaub has taken almost all of the 1st team reps this season, then the last few weeks they have allocated that to Leinart to prepare him. Yates has been scrapping for reps in practice which was probably with 2nd and 3rd teamers. How can anyone want/expect them to open up the playbook with a guy that's still green. Look at Blaine Gabbert, he has been given every opportunity to succeed and get better in practice and he still sucks. Yates is getting maybe 1/3 of those resources in comparison. If they go hand-off, hand-off, hand-off next week and the weeks after then you can start complaining.

I'm not sure I've ever been so glad to see a game END!! Our D pulled it off for us today, not sure about next week. Thank gawd for that 10 point lead, it was enough to get us through. I'm completely beat!!

I am too ST .. time clock couldn't move fast enough

did we even get a 1st down in the 2nd half?

Your right ,you wouldn't do that on a better offense . I'm sure if they were playing a better offense ,Kubes would of been forced to see what Yates could do.
But and there is a big BUT , you were playing sorry ass Jacksonville .

END OF DISCUSSION.

yes sorry ass jacksonville, but they did have a good defense

Next week vs. Falcons, Kubiak has to have the run game running on all cylinders. I mean it.

This week, he has to pull in his RBs and his O-Line and let them know that the defense bailed their ass out vs. Jax but THEY (the RBs and O-Line) better make special plays and go back to being dominant again.

We're missing Mario Williams but it's a rookie filling in him for him, and he seems to be able to work within Wade's scheme OK. DeMeco is on and off for some reason. Manning had been gone for several weeks. Yet the defense still finds ways to execute the plays and get things done.

All I got is that the Jags defense is a bit underrated. It has always been the focal point of JDR and it's better this year than people are aware of. However, they had two 2nd string CBs out there today...and we barely tried to take advantage of them. If that's Kubiak trying to play the odds and go conservative due to the QB situation...then so be it.

I just have concerns from here on out.

Well, we did play the #3 Defense in the league.

We just need to beat Carolina and Indy and we are in the playoffs. I think we can beat TN at home, which will give us 11 wins.

As of now, I'm expecting ATL and Cincy to be close losses.

I am too ST .. time clock couldn't move fast enough

did we even get a 1st down in the 2nd half?

I don't think so Wolf. All I know is that the friggin offense OWES the D bigtime!! Best steak dinner in the city of Houston twice a week, or more, for the rest of the year!!:breakdance:

I just want to put things in perspective here...

1st game against Jags.
Texans-24
Jags-14

2nd game
Texans-20
Jags-13

Just that the Jags had a lot to do with the poor offensive showing. I remember the first game they still did a good job of just making our offense look predictable and not right. Put in a 2nd-3rd string QB and yeah it's going to get a worse. I think our offense looks better next week and beyond though.

Oh my lord....

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Matt Leinart: "I think there's probably a pretty strong possibility I won't be coming back this season." #Texans

McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Leinart admitted it's his left collarbone, same one he broke in 2007 he said it doesn't look good for his return.

TJ Yates, all that kid does is win!

Brakos

:lol:

LOL. That's awesome right there. TJ Yates is like VY and Tebow...he just wins games!

I don't think so Wolf. All I know is that the friggin offense OWES the D bigtime!! Best steak dinner in the city of Houston twice a week, or more, for the rest of the year!!:breakdance:

Oh Grandma, I was thinking more along the lines of Kubiak buying the defense and its staff EACH a new car. Steak is not enough!

I just want to put things in perspective here...

1st game against Jags.
Texans-24
Jags-14

2nd game
Texans-20
Jags-13

Just that the Jags had a lot to do with the poor offensive showing. I remember the first game they still did a good job of just making our offense look predictable and not right. Put in a 2nd-3rd string QB and yeah it's going to get a worse. I think our offense looks better next week and beyond though.

It feels good, but it feels bad too.

The weirdest feeling, IMO. I wanted us to sweep all of our divisional rivals...and we're two wins away from doing just that...but I wanted us to dominate them and leave no room for doubt.

Which brings me back to saying that a win is a win. Just feels worse than it should because of the injuries and the turtling up we did on offense.

McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Leinart admitted it's his left collarbone, same one he broke in 2007 he said it doesn't look good for his return.

How sucky is that? You waited and waited, behind Schaub. You turned down a chance to challenge for a starting role in Seattle during the off-season free agency period. And your first HALF as a starter you get drilled into the ground and you're out for the season.

And TJ Yates is staring at his 1st and 2nd string QBs who are both in a boot and a sling...and he's wondering all sorts of things to himself.

TJ Yates has to think the world's eyes are all staring at him now. And he'd be correct about that.

If Yates picks up on the game plan, we could still make the playoffs. We just won't last very long in them. Don't count on the Titans continuing to win games like they did today.

I thought the play-calling was too conservative with Leinart in there. The two-minute run by Yates was pretty effective for him. He seemed more comfortable with the uptempo style. 9 in the box does nothing for the running game or those 1 yd passes Kubes over utilized in this game. Let the kid play because he can ball.

Hats off to the defense who won this for us in spite of the f'n refs. The refs gave the Jagoffs 6 of their 13 points, so the game was not as close as it looked. However, it had that eerie feel from years past of an implosion.:scarygirl:

So, I go from starting my day all optimistic and looking forward to seeing what Leinart can do watching the game at family's house after family pictures, to leaving in the 2nd Q and listening in my truck on the way home apparently right when it happened.

WTF man??

I just don't understand WTF......

Yates at least didn't **** his pants and we won, but I could at least be optimistic with Leinart in there. I'm not trying to dump on Yates, but Heisman and BCS winner who was a starter and has experience and was hungry to try again vs. Rookie QB from North Carolina with not a ton of huge accolades.....

Never thought I would say I was really missing Leinart!!!

The way this **** is going we may see OD at QB some game down the road :vincepalm:

I thought the play-calling was too conservative with Leinart in there. The two-minute run by Yates was pretty effective for him. He seemed more comfortable with the uptempo style.

So you think Kubiak opened the play book for the rookie but closed it off for Leinart?

I don't think so. Remember, just because he threw the ball to Arian out of the backfield 100 times, chances are that Foster was not his primary target. Most likely not his second.

We had this same debate with Carr. There are receivers open all the time, just because Carr checked it down or took a sack, you can't blame the play calling on that.

Last game, @Reliant, I watched our receivers exclusively. They didn't have a corner who could cover JJ. With both Cox & Mathis out, I doubt they had someone who could cover both Aj & Jj... The QB decided not to throw them the ball for whatever reason.

So you think Kubiak opened the play book for the rookie but closed it off for Leinart?

Actually, no. I thought the play-calling was too conservative for both. Perhaps it was simply the QB's checking down to their 2nd/3rd/4th option but it certainly did not help the mass of Jagoffs and Zebras crowding the line. We can crab-crawl into the playoffs with this play calling, but I want to see the book opened up.

Good Lord... the 1st call on the Texans postgame show was an dumass VY fan saying Texans are cursed because they didn't draft Vince. I hate them all. :cutthroat:

Looking at the remaining schedule for Titans and Texans

Titans: final season projection is probable at 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 if they beat the Texans

@ Buffalo - could go either way
New Orleans - loss
@ Indy - win
Jacksonville - could go either way
@ Houston - could go either way

Texans: final season projection is probable at 10-6 or 11-5 if they beat the Titans

Atlanta - loss
@ Cincinnati - loss
Carolina - win
@ Indy - win
Tennessee - could go either way

I think it's still highly probable we are in the playoffs this year. Judging from our QB situation, it doesn't look very promising once we get there though.

So I wake up this morning and jump on my ESPN Gamecenter to see the score and I am happy of course... Then I see the Yates stat line and I've got that sinking feeling again.

I'm glad I wasn't awake at 0300 in the morning to watch this thing or I think I would have had a melt down.

I can't believe this is happening. Being a Houston sports fan is so out of control bs at this point I don't even know how to handle it any more.

Curse. Well no kidding.

Can we get a blow up the Dome petition going? Every other city blows up their crappy old stadiums why does Houston continue to hold onto that temple of bad memories?

No way around it, the city is cursed.

So I wake up this morning and jump on my ESPN Gamecenter to see the score and I am happy of course... Then I see the Yates stat line and I've got that sinking feeling again.

I'm glad I wasn't awake at 0300 in the morning to watch this thing or I think I would have had a melt down.

I can't believe this is happening. Being a Houston sports fan is so out of control bs at this point I don't even know how to handle it any more.

Curse. Well no kidding.

Can we get a blow up the Dome petition going? Every other city blows up their crappy old stadiums why does Houston continue to hold onto that temple of bad memories?

No way around it, the city is cursed.

I know you said this in jest, but you may be on to something here.

Back