Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Oilers/Texans have NEVER beaten the Eagles

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I know this series well for a few reasons. The first ever NFL game I ever attended was at the Dome in 1979. The Eagles were in town and beat us 26-20. I remember the game didn't mean much because it was the last game of the season and both teams were in the playoffs. This was the "Renfro game" season when we lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship.

Later in life I would live in the Philly area and would always be reminded that my Oilers had never beaten their team. I have personally attended 4 of these games, 2 in Houston and 2 in Philly.

Here is the series ....

November 12, 1972 - Houston Oilers 17 Philadelphia Eagles 18

I was too young to remember this one.

December 16, 1979 - Houston Oilers 20 Philadelphia Eagles 26

I mentioned this one above.

December 19, 1982 - Houston Oilers 14 Philadelphia Eagles 35

I was living in NY and don't even remember this game. In 1982 I was probably not even following the Oilers because I was still hating on Bud for firing Bum, plus I was living in upstate New York far from anyone who would have cared. This was during that dark period between Bum and Warren Moon when I really tuned them out.

October 2, 1988 - Houston Oilers 23 Philadelphia Eagles 32

Uhgg, my first ever Oiler road game. I was sitting in the infamous 700 level of Vet Stadium. Moon was hurt and Cody Carlson was in. I just remember the Oilers jumped to a huge lead kicked off by a blocked punt for a TD. I will never forget Jerry Glanville in his long black coat running up and down the sidelines. This game would end up being a typical Glanville game with the Oilers being undisciplined and blowing a huge lead. Randall Cunningham put on a show and that was that.

December 2, 1991 - Houston Oilers 6 Philadelphia Eagles 13

OMG, I NEVER lived down this game. Monday Night Football at the "House of Pain". I was at a sports bar in Delaware partially owned by x-Eagle Bill Bergey sitting in a crowd of drunk Eagles fans with my Eagle fan friends. Bergy was personally giving me crap for wearing Oilers gear however had a nice chat with me. He was telling me about how much of a rat hole the Astrodome was to play in and how bad the visitor locker rooms were. He also related some cool stuff about playing against Earl Campbell.

This bar had a full on pregrame party hosted by a local radio station. They were jabbing at me on the pregame show and even made me sing the Oilers fight song live in the radio. The Eagles were down to their 3rd string QB Jeff Kemp so I was real confident the Oilers would rout them. It wasn't to be. The Eagles defense laid an AJ to Cortland Finnegan beat down on the Oilers. Andre Waters hit Ernest Givens so hard he broke his facemask. This was literally a clinic in defense and how to stop the Run and Shoot.

The late Eagles DT Jerome Brown would walk off the field and say "They have the House, we brought the Pain".

October 24, 1994 Houston Oilers 6 Philadelphia Eagles 21

Another MNF game, this time in Philly, and yes I was there in person. This was the season after we traded Moon and Carlson was going to be the man. He got hurt the first game and it was lights out from there.

I remember the Oilers were 1 - 6 at this point or something like that. I never forget the Eagles fans making fun of my Moon jersey asking me if the #1 stood for our 1 win. We were tailgating around the 610 WIP Sports Radio pregame broadcast and once again I was summoned to be on the radio. Those guys picked me out of a crowd and asked me to join them on the radio to talk about the Oilers. Of course they started in on me. However I told them that us Houston folks and them in Philly have one strong thing in common. They asked me what ... I lifted up my jersey and underneath I had my "Dallas Sucks" t-shirt on .... the crowd went crazy and I got lots of free beer after that.

The game sucked of course but I didn't expect much. That was the last ever meeting between the Houston Oilers and the Eagles. Pardee got fired shortly after that and Fisher took over from there.

September 29, 2002 - Houston Texans 17 Philadelphia Eagles 35

I was no longer living in the Philly area so I didn't attend this game. It was our expansion season. I just remember Carr getting sacked a lot :)

September 10, 2006 - Houston Texans 10 Philadelphia Eagles 24

Was at this game at Reliant with an Eagles fan I knew from the days when I lived up there. This was Mario's rookie season and this game only compounded what I already knew and that was David Carr wasn't going to be a NFL QB. Another disaster opening game.

So that is my walk down memory lane with the Oilers/Texans vs Eagles. Ironically the Tennessee Oilers/Titans have never lost to the Eagles. Fisher is perfect against them.

Wow! Gee thanks for the memories...:sarcasm:

I envy you for some of those memories. I don't have any good memories re: Houston/ Philly sports...

I think the year they lost in the first round was to the raiders was 1980. I'm pretty sure they won the last game of the season to gain the wild card spot. I remember watching the other team drive down the field but not being able to score. I could be wrong but thats what I remember.

i just looked, the eagles played dallas the last game of the season the year we lost to oakland..... Your a closet Cowboy fan:chickendance:

I think the year they lost in the first round was to the raiders was 1980. I'm pretty sure they won the last game of the season to gain the wild card spot. I remember watching the other team drive down the field but not being able to score. I could be wrong but thats what I remember.

OK, good catch. I stand corrected. That was the "Renfro Game" season. Here is the breakdown of that season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/1979.htm

I fixed it in my comments. I was only 10 years ... wow 31 years ago.

I know this series well for a few reasons. The first ever NFL game I ever attended was at the Dome in 1979. The Eagles were in town and beat us 26-20. I remember the game didn't mean much because it was the last game of the season and both teams were in the playoffs. This was the "Renfro game" season when we lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship.

Later in life I would live in the Philly area and would always be reminded that my Oilers had never beaten their team. I have personally attended 4 of these games, 2 in Houston and 2 in Philly.

Here is the series ....

November 12, 1972 - Houston Oilers 17 Philadelphia Eagles 18

I was too young to remember this one.

December 16, 1979 - Houston Oilers 20 Philadelphia Eagles 26

I mentioned this one above.

December 19, 1982 - Houston Oilers 14 Philadelphia Eagles 35

I was living in NY and don't even remember this game. In 1982 I was probably not even following the Oilers because I was still hating on Bud for firing Bum, plus I was living in upstate New York far from anyone who would have cared. This was during that dark period between Bum and Warren Moon when I really tuned them out.

October 2, 1988 - Houston Oilers 23 Philadelphia Eagles 32

Uhgg, my first ever Oiler road game. I was sitting in the infamous 700 level of Vet Stadium. Moon was hurt and Cody Carlson was in. I just remember the Oilers jumped to a huge lead kicked off by a blocked punt for a TD. I will never forget Jerry Glanville in his long black coat running up and down the sidelines. This game would end up being a typical Glanville game with the Oilers being undisciplined and blowing a huge lead. Randall Cunningham put on a show and that was that.

December 2, 1991 - Houston Oilers 6 Philadelphia Eagles 13

OMG, I NEVER lived down this game. Monday Night Football at the "House of Pain". I was at a sports bar in Delaware partially owned by x-Eagle Bill Bergey sitting in a crowd of drunk Eagles fans with my Eagle fan friends. Bergy was personally giving me crap for wearing Oilers gear however had a nice chat with me. He was telling me about how much of a rat hole the Astrodome was to play in and how bad the visitor locker rooms were. He also related some cool stuff about playing against Earl Campbell.

This bar had a full on pregrame party hosted by a local radio station. They were jabbing at me on the pregame show and even made me sing the Oilers fight song live in the radio. The Eagles were down to their 3rd string QB Jeff Kemp so I was real confident the Oilers would rout them. It wasn't to be. The Eagles defense laid an AJ to Cortland Finnegan beat down on the Oilers. Andre Waters hit Ernest Givens so hard he broke his facemask. This was literally a clinic in defense and how to stop the Run and Shoot.

The late Eagles DT Jerome Brown would walk off the field and say "They have the House, we brought the Pain".

October 24, 1994 Houston Oilers 6 Philadelphia Eagles 21

Another MNF game, this time in Philly, and yes I was there in person. This was the season after we traded Moon and Carlson was going to be the man. He got hurt the first game and it was lights out from there.

I remember the Oilers were 1 - 6 at this point or something like that. I never forget the Eagles fans making fun of my Moon jersey asking me if the #1 stood for our 1 win. We were tailgating around the 610 WIP Sports Radio pregame broadcast and once again I was summoned to be on the radio. Those guys picked me out of a crowd and asked me to join them on the radio to talk about the Oilers. Of course they started in on me. However I told them that us Houston folks and them in Philly have one strong thing in common. They asked me what ... I lifted up my jersey and underneath I had my "Dallas Sucks" t-shirt on .... the crowd went crazy and I got lots of free beer after that.

The game sucked of course but I didn't expect much. That was the last ever meeting between the Houston Oilers and the Eagles. Pardee got fired shortly after that and Fisher took over from there.

September 29, 2002 - Houston Texans 17 Philadelphia Eagles 35

I was no longer living in the Philly area so I didn't attend this game. It was our expansion season. I just remember Carr getting sacked a lot :)

September 10, 2006 - Houston Texans 10 Philadelphia Eagles 24

Was at this game at Reliant with an Eagles fan I knew from the days when I lived up there. This was Mario's rookie season and this game only compounded what I already knew and that was David Carr wasn't going to be a NFL QB. Another disaster opening game.

So that is my walk down memory lane with the Oilers/Texans vs Eagles. Ironically the Tennessee Oilers/Titans have never lost to the Eagles. Fisher is perfect against them.

Negative rep your way for the memories.... :heh:

Back