Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hoke is a Joke

JWarren14

Beer Me
I know Richard Smith needs to go, but our secondary is scary bad. I know it was Peyton Manning and their offense is as good as any, but I am sick and tired of our corners giving 10+ yard cushion and the WR stops catches the ball and turns up field and gets 5+ yards. Watching the MNF game and Buffalo's DBs played Edwards and Winslow very well, I was wondering why in the hell we can't cover like that. It's crazy what happens when a corner turns his head and looks back at the ball. So my question is do we fire Richard Smith and all the other Defensive coaches or just Smith and a few coordinators? Is it lack of talent, lack of coaching, or is our secondary on performance detraction drugs?

I know Richard Smith needs to go, but our secondary is scary bad. I know it was Peyton Manning and their offense is as good as any, but I am sick and tired of our corners giving 10+ yard cushion and the WR stops catches the ball and turns up field and gets 5+ yards. Watching the MNF game and Buffalo's DBs played Edwards and Winslow very well, I was wondering why in the hell we can't cover like that. It's crazy what happens when a corner turns his head and looks back at the ball. So my question is do we fire Richard Smith and all the other Defensive coaches or just Smith and a few coordinators? Is it lack of talent, lack of coaching, or is our secondary on performance detraction drugs?

Unfortunately, with the talent (or lackof) we have two options:

A) Press and get burned deep.
B) Cushion and keep everything in front of you

Pick your poison..... :gun:

Hoke, Smith, and the rest of the Defensive Staff suck donkey turds, but so does their talent. We need to do a clean sweep through our defensive coaching ranks and get rid of everyone on the defensive coaching staff and i mean EVERYONE. And while we are at it we need to kick Weaver, Greenwood, CCBrown, Harrison, and Travis Johnson to the freaking curb. We need new blood and those guys have all pretty much been failures beside CCBRown but the next time he covers someone will be the first time.

We need to bring in a DC who will have 100% control of the defensive scheme and of the defensive staff that he hires. It's the only way we will get a decent DC and its the only way said DC would have any chance at succeeding and sticking around. We should have hired either of Buddy Ryan's sons last year but we were more than happy to sit through another abortion of a season with Smith at the DC helm. Basically we need the DC to be the head coach of the defense so Gary can concentrate on keeping the offense progressing and finding a QB that can A.) stay healthy and B.) not turn the ball over constantly.

I am pretty much resigned to Kubiak being back in 0-9 due to his 3 game swath of destruction against the mightly Lions, Dolphins, and Bengals....y'know that is the stuff of legend around here, so I will just have to deal with another season with a bad head coach. don't get me wrong, Gary is a good coordinator but he is a horrible and pathetic Head Coach.

2009 here we come!!

Let me ask you this. How does a browns defense give up 450 yards of passing and 3 TD's to the Broncos, and then come back and give up 150 yards and get 3 picks? Do you think the coaching suddenly made them better in 1 week? Was it the defense who said enough is enough? Or was it the level of talent between Broncos offense vs. the Bills offense?

Hoke, Smith, and the rest of the Defensive Staff suck donkey turds, but so does their talent. We need to do a clean sweep through our defensive coaching ranks and get rid of everyone on the defensive coaching staff and i mean EVERYONE. And while we are at it we need to kick Weaver, Greenwood, CCBrown, Harrison, and Travis Johnson to the freaking curb. We need new blood and those guys have all pretty much been failures beside CCBRown but the next time he covers someone will be the first time.

We need to bring in a DC who will have 100% control of the defensive scheme and of the defensive staff that he hires. It's the only way we will get a decent DC and its the only way said DC would have any chance at succeeding and sticking around. We should have hired either of Buddy Ryan's sons last year but we were more than happy to sit through another abortion of a season with Smith at the DC helm. Basically we need the DC to be the head coach of the defense so Gary can concentrate on keeping the offense progressing and finding a QB that can A.) stay healthy and B.) not turn the ball over constantly.

I am pretty much resigned to Kubiak being back in 0-9 due to his 3 game swath of destruction against the mightly Lions, Dolphins, and Bengals....y'know that is the stuff of legend around here, so I will just have to deal with another season with a bad head coach. don't get me wrong, Gary is a good coordinator but he is a horrible and pathetic Head Coach.

2009 here we come!!

Agreed. We need to fire all these ass clowns and start over. If all they do in the offseason is fire Smith and promote Bush, I may freakin puke. No one on this staff deserves the DC gig. If they audition Bush, and it starts to improve, ok. If Smith lasts all year and they promote from within, **** em.

Agreed. We need to fire all these ass clowns and start over. If all they do in the offseason is fire Smith and promote Bush, I may freakin puke. No one on this staff deserves the DC gig. If they audition Bush, and it starts to improve, ok. If Smith lasts all year and they promote from within, **** em.

Which is why Smith needs to be fired yesterday, so we can see if somebody on this staff has the ability to step up and light a fire under the defense....

I don't understand why the hell Smith hasn't been fired yet....all we're doing is wasting reps, reps that could be used to evaluate a different coach/different scheme/different talent.

Richard Smith is a complete waste of our time and instead of getting a head start to finding his replacement, for some reason Kubiak/McNair feels it's best to just let him ride out the season.....despite everybody in this town knowing he's a dead man walking.

CAN HIS ASS ALREADY!

A couple of weeks ago I felt we should give Kubiak another chance, but after the Colts game I told myself "If Kubiak doesn't walk to the podium tomorrow and say (thumping a drumline and all) Richard Smith is no longer the defensive coordinator of this team. I'm officially going to put Kubiak on the hot seat".

The longer Smith stays on staff the more credibility Kubaik loses.......it totally reminds me of how Capers' loyalty ended up costing him his job.

Last edited:
I'd like to see us stack the defensive staff with veteran coaches to coach the positions. For example, IMO Rhodes should be our secondary coach, if he would accept. In no way should he be the assistant defensive backs coach. I have had no beef with Hoke, but I think Rhodes is more beneficial to the team. A guy I like is Kevin Steele DC for Alabama. Has coached everywhere including the NFL with the Panthers (and Capers).

We could promote Frank Bush to DC but if we don't I would like to see him coach the linebackers. You can assist the head coach while being coach of the linebackers. Put the best guys where they are best.

Richard Smith may be the main problem. If we can keep some of these good coaches and just adjust their role, we might have something. We still need to bring in new guys.

I think at this point Rhodes is just a name.......he hasn't made a bit of difference this season and whether this is only his first year of not, if he was as great as we try to make him out to be, he would've made some kind of difference.......maybe he just doesn't have the fire anymore.

I'm in the "everybody on the defensive staff MUST GO" camp. Bring in a proven coordinator and let him pick his own staff.

yeah the whole staff pretty much needs to go and there isn't a player on the defense, Mario/Ryans included, that don't need to take a long look in the mirror and ask themselves what more they could do to help the team win football games. We got millionaires all up and down that defensive roster but they play like a bunch of preschoolers on Sunday. Little to no spirit, just enough effort to lose, and in general, just a 'who cares?' attitude. It's hard to watch sometimes without going mad.

I blame the players but its the coaches job to put the right players and develop what they have in order to compete. It's obvious our defensive staff has done a poor job executing a cogent and successful defensive gameplan and they have done a relatively poor job developing and utilizing the young talent that they do have.

You can't just start guys based on how much money they make or when they were drafted. You have to play the players that give you the best chance to win, both now and in the future. A delicate balance, sure...but a good staff can have the wherewithal to get the job done. The job aint getting done so get someone else that can get the job done and just do it now...yesterday even.

yeah the whole staff pretty much needs to go and there isn't a player on the defense, Mario/Ryans included, that don't need to take a long look in the mirror and ask themselves what more they could do to help the team win football games. We got millionaires all up and down that defensive roster but they play like a bunch of preschoolers on Sunday. Little to no spirit, just enough effort to lose, and in general, just a 'who cares?' attitude. It's hard to watch sometimes without going mad.

I blame the players but its the coaches job to put the right players and develop what they have in order to compete. It's obvious our defensive staff has done a poor job executing a cogent and successful defensive gameplan and they have done a relatively poor job developing and utilizing the young talent that they do have.

You can't just start guys based on how much money they make or when they were drafted. You have to play the players that give you the best chance to win, both now and in the future. A delicate balance, sure...but a good staff can have the wherewithal to get the job done. The job aint getting done so get someone else that can get the job done and just do it now...yesterday even.

Couldnt agree more. We get beat over and over, yet never adjust to help the guy being beat. The worst thing is when its 3 and 4 and we give 8 yards of cusion. Thats nuts.

Back