Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coaching Changes

BattleRedToro

Thread Killer
I thought it might be fun to compile a list of the possible Head coaching changes there will be next year. So, here goes.

Dallas - Bill Parcells if he retires
Pittsburgh - Bill Cowher if he retires
Arizona - Dennis Green if the Cardinals fire him
San Diego - Marty Schottenheimer if they fail to make the playoffs he may be fired
Tennessee - Jeff Fisher if Bud Adams is dumb enough to fire him
Baltimore - It has been awhile since Brian Billick coached them to a Super Bowl so you never know if he could be fired
Tampa Bay - The same goes for Gruden

The second part of the question is who would be their replacements?

I could easily see Fisher in Pittsburgh if they don't promote Ken Whisenhunt or Dick LeBeau to head coach. If not there then maybe in Arizona.

I could see Tennessee hiring Dick LeBeau or promoting Norm Chow. If they don't promote Norm Chow I could see him end up wherever Jeff Fisher goes.

As for the others I really have no idea who would end up where, so I'd love to hear your opinions.

I thought it might be fun to compile a list of the possible Head coaching changes there will be next year. So, here goes.

San Diego - Marty Schottenheimer if the fail to make the playoffs he may be fired
Baltimore - It has been awhile since Brian Billick coached them to a Super Bowl so you never know if he could be fired

I could easily see Fisher in Pittsburgh if they don't promote Ken Whisenhunt or Dick LeBeau to head coach. If not there then maybe in Arizona.

I could see Tennessee hiring Dick LeBeau or promoting Norm Chow. If they don't promote Norm Chow I could see him end up wherever Jeff Fisher goes.

As for the others I really have no idea who would end up where, so I'd love to hear your opinions.

Dallas - Parcells stays one more year, then they make a run at Norte Dame coach Charlie Weis.

Pittsburgh - Cowher retires, Dick LeBeau could get promoted, or they look for another young coach as they did with Noll and Cowher...maybe a Fisher, as you said.

Arizona - Green stays, due to Cardinals brass giving him a shot, because they know his O-Line is shot.

San Diego - Marty stays.

Tennessee - Fisher better stay...Bud would be half-retarded (as if he isn't now) to get rid of Fisher.

Baltimore - I think if they miss the postseason, or have a bad showing in the postseason (a la Colts vs. Jets in 2002) Billick is gone.

Tampa Bay - Depends on a few things, but Glazer and Allen won't pull the trigger at this point.

Don't forget Dungy in Indy, Shell in Oakland and Gibbs in Washington (Joe wouldn't be fired, he'd resign, if anything).

San Diego - Marty Schottenheimer if the fail to make the playoffs he may be fired

I severely doubt those two. Do you remember what Tampa gave up for Gruden? He is good for a few more years, at least, IMO. Plus I think he has done a pretty good job dealing with a defense that wasn't playing like they normally do and a run game that was pretty much none-existent.

As for Marty.... I dunno that just doesnt add up to me.

:twocents:

There is a rumor that Dallas has already made advances to Fisher in case Parcells retires. Not endorsing just passing along. Frankly if someone can pull Weiss out of ND it will be JJ and the Cowboys although IMO Parcells isn't going to retire after this year.

I think Whisenhunt will replace Cowher which is why I think he didn't take the Raiders job last season. Dick LeBeau was a terrible coach while he was in Cincinnati. Wouldn't mind if he was the head coach at Tennessee just so we can kick their butt year in and year out. Here's how I see it playing out:

Dallas- Parcells will retire
Pittsburgh-Cowher will retire
Arizona-Green will be fired before the end of the season
San Diego-Marty stays
Tennesse- Jeff Fisher is fired and we hire him as an assistant coach just to say "Take that Bud!"
Baltimore- Billick will be fired. He's supposed to be an offensive guru, but in all the years he's been there I don't think he's had one decent NFL offense. I think he's overrated.
Tampa Bay-Gruden stays.

What about Art Shell, I know he's only been there a few months but Davis doesn't seem to have much patience.

There were also high expectation in Miami thie year but its all gone pear shaped.

I think the first NFL coach to be fired will be Nick Saban in Miami...IMO he really is doing a horrible job. And continues to lose players' trust.

there's really no chance that gruden is gone. the team is young and improving each week. plus he's the face of the team around here and i doubt the glazers would do anything to potentially ruin that.

There is a rumor that Dallas has already made advances to Fisher in case Parcells retires. Not endorsing just passing along. Frankly if someone can pull Weiss out of ND it will be JJ and the Cowboys although IMO Parcells isn't going to retire after this year.

I agree..... I think Parcells is starting to realize how far away this team really is from a SuperBowl, and it won't happen this year. He built this team, so I think it will be difficult for him to walk away if he knows they have a real shot in '07, which they should.

If he should walk away, I see Fisher stepping right in.

What would really make the Titans scary, would be if they could Pry AlSaunders away from Washington, but I don't think he'll be available, and Bud wouldn't spend the cash.

Billick is definitely in the hot seat. But they're winning now, and they'll most likely finish pretty strong, so I doubt he'll go anywhere.

Same with Tampa. they've had some problems down their that you can't blame on a coach. I don't see him going anywhere for a while.

DennyGreen........ I'd be surprised if he's still there in December.

the team is young

The O may be young, but the D is ancient and that is what the team was built on. The D has 4 guys with over 10 years in the league (with 2 more at 9) and only one guy with less than 5 years in the league--3rd year S Will Allen. On average the D has 8 years in at this point. If you want to see young--think Texans with 8 of 11 D guys with under 5 years experience.

I think the first NFL coach to be fired will be Nick Saban in Miami...IMO he really is doing a horrible job. And continues to lose players' trust.
What's wrong with Saban? . . . despite the fact that they're losing of course.

Well according to kastofsna, he and every other Miami head coach has failed to realize their #1 WR Chris Chambers sucks and is 4th best on the team.

Why in the world would Cowher retire? He's not even very old, he's had job security for years and he always seems to be totally involved in his coaching.

That one I don't get unless he's said something to that effect.

Hey if Jeff Fisher wants to come to the Cowboys I'll do the happy dance. :bananasplit:

What's wrong with Saban? . . . despite the fact that they're losing of course.

passing on Brees for Culpepper & Harrington seems a bit foolish at the moment. Even if they turn it around for the rest of the year, which will be cool for us, because they will play Jax, Buffalo, the Jets, & Indy (moving us up in the standings if they can beat those teams), there would still be major concerns for the team going into '07, unless Saban can sell Cullpepper being the ProBowler he was in Minn. which would be a hard sale, or unless Harrington shuts us all up.

His D is still tops in the league, but if they finish with less than 7 wins...... I don't know.

What's the general feeling down there Kastofan?? are y'all still feel'n Saban??

I would like to add another name, Tom Coughlin of the Giants.

Barber leaving after this year puts a lot of pressure to get to the Super Bowl now. Barber is the running game, not easy to keep the standard he brings now to whoever takes over in the future.

He has "coach killers" in Shockey and Burress. Even Tiki has said things in the past about coaching.

In Dec. they have Dallas, Philly, and New Orleans at home and Carolina away. If they come out of that with a losing record and miss the playoffs, or go out in the first round if they get in, the N.Y. press and fan base will want his head.

Dallas - I do think/hope this is Parcells last year. Problem is, I've heard/read rumors that a possible replacement could be Bob Stoops. That'd piss me off to no end. If Fisher replaced Parcells, that'd be an upgrade and I'd be all for it.

Pittsburgh - I don't think this is Cowher's last season. For whatever reason, I can't see him walking away just yet. If it were though, I think they'd promote LeBeau. He'd offer them the smoothest transition with minimal changes to philosophy.

Arizona - They may give Denny Green one more year. Especially if they start showing light at the end of this year. I think he deserves at least an extra year with the new QB. If not, Pete Carroll, anyone?

San Diego - Marty' not going anywhere. You don't can a coach just because he's not reaching the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh wouldn't have won it last season if they took that approach with Cowher. They're also breaking in a new QB even if he's not a rookie.

Tennessee - Bud would be stupid not to extend Fisher's contract. Oh wait...it's Bud. Norm Chow is not suited to be a head coach so I don't see them promoting within. I also don't see them bringing in an offensive assistant from another team because of Chow's presence. 'Course, since it's Bud we're talking, he could always be dumb enough and let Chow go as well. This one's a tough one. But knowing Bud, I'll go out on a limb and say Dom Capers. :)

Baltimore - I don't think Billick is going anywhere. At least not this season. Possible replacement though? Rex Ryan...their defensive coordinator.

Tampa Bay - Gruden's not going anywhere. You don't let one of the brighter minds in the game go while your team has gone through a plague of injuries the past few seasons. That'd be throwing kerosene on the fire.

Washington - This is the easiest one. Gregg Williams has already been promised the head coaching position in Washington if/when Gibbs leaves. It's even in his contract. They put that in his contract to keep him from taking a head coaching position with a team last season.

Miami - Nick Saban's not going anywhere. They're similar to Tampa in the injury department. Hard to be successful when you've got Joey Harrington starting for you at QB.

Giants - Coughlin's not going anywhere. They currently lead the NFC East and by the looks of things are well on their way to winning the division. You don't fire coaches right after they win their division. Unless you're Bud Adams of course.

saban won't get fired. not a chance in hell. christ, look how long wannstedt stuck around, and he SUCKS. at least saban is competent.

Arizona - They may give Denny Green one more year. Especially if they start showing light at the end of this year. I think he deserves at least an extra year with the new QB. If not, Pete Carroll, anyone?

San Diego - Marty' not going anywhere. You don't can a coach just because he's not reaching the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh wouldn't have won it last season if they took that approach with Cowher. They're also breaking in a new QB even if he's not a rookie.

Why is DennyGreen in Arizona again??

Why is DennyGreen in Arizona again??
Because between 1992-2001, Green was 127-63 as the head coach for Minnesota and made the playoffs 8 times. As an owner, you can't ask for much more than that from you coach.

Their owner decided that wasn't good enough. Minnesota has gone 30-24 with 1 playoff appearance since.

Sometimes it pays off to show some patience. Just ask the fans in Pittsburgh.

Because between 1992-2001, Green was 127-63 as the head coach for Minnesota and made the playoffs 8 times. As an owner, you can't ask for much more than that from you coach.

Their owner decided that wasn't good enough. Minnesota has gone 30-24 with 1 playoff appearance since.

Sometimes it pays off to show some patience. Just ask the fans in Pittsburgh.

I agree. My point is that some owners do indeed fire their coaches for not making it to the SuperBowl.

First of all, I was merely suggesting what might happen. I never intended to infer what should happen. Secondly, Pittsburgh's ownership group is very different than San Diego's ownership group or for that matter the rest of the league as well. Pittsburgh's owners are very patient and that is why Cowher is the currently longest active coach in the league. I don't see San Diego's ownership that way at all. How long was it after they went to the Super Bowl that they fired Bobby Ross? Pittsburgh was patient with Cowher even though he had only been to one Super Bowl, just like Bobby Ross in San Diego, and lost, also like Bobby Ross in San Diego. For their patience Pittsburgh's ownership was rewarded with another Super Bowl appearance and this time they won it. Now, as for San Diego, if it was my decision I don't think I would fire Marty Schottenheimer, but alas I have know say in the matter. In light of their past I feel like Schottenheimer is nearing the old chopping block in San Diego.
thunderkyss said:
I agree. My point is that some owners do indeed fire their coaches for not making it to the SuperBowl.
Fair enough.

Dallas - Parcells was overruled in the decision to get T.O. and he overruled Jones's wishes to keep Bledsoe as a starter. I've gotta believe the two are clashing heads and at the end of the day, Parcells is going to decide it's not worth the aggrevation.

Pittsburgh - Rumor was Cowher was on the verge of retiring after the Super Bowl last year, but I just can't see it. The Steelers are still a relatively young team, and logically could win another Super Bowl or two in his time. I see him sticking around, at the very least

Arizona - Unless the Cardinals have a miraculous turnaround, Green's gone. When I mean miraculous turnaround, I mean nothing short of finishing the season unbeaten and going to the playoffs. The Cardinal fan base despises him, and wants him gone yesterday and with the hype coming in and the way Arizona's badly underachieved, I can't see this ending any other way than Green getting the axe.

San Diego - Agreed, if San Diego misses the playoffs, Marty's a goner. Truthfully, with the way he and AJ Smith clash, I wouldn't be shocked if Marty's fired even IF they make the playoffs.

Tennessee - I can't see Fisher fired. I CAN see him let out of his contract to go coach somewhere else, but not fired. Also, I see Norm Chow going back to college and taking over a program (North Carolina?)

Baltimore - I see Baltimore making the playoffs this season and Billick retaining his job.

Tampa Bay - Not with what Tampa gave up to get him. I think the Bucs catch fire in the second half anyhow.

Miami- No way in hell do they fire Saban. I just can't see it happening, unless the Fins go winless for the rest of the season.

So, thus far I see Tennessee, Dallas, San Diego and Arizona all replacing coaches. I also see Tom Coughlin let go. He's on a very short leash there in New York anyhow, so I see him replaced.

As for who replaces them..

Tennessee: I see them going the coordinator route rather than the retread or college route. A name I really could see linked to the Titans, despite his current team's lousy performance so far, is Washington Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders. I could see the Titans looking his direction, especially being they've got a young offense and Saunders has worked wonders in the past with up and coming offenses. I see them keeping Dave McGinnis around as the Defensive Coordinator and building from there.

Arizona: Hard to tell with this team. On one hand, they've gone the retread route, they've gone the coordinator route and nothing seems to work. Denny Green, who was a proven winner and had success everywhere he'd coached, has been a collossal failure in Arizona. McGinnis, who was a good up and coming young mind when hired by the Cardinals and almost railroaded out of town. Realistically, the Cardinals would probably be better off firing Bill Bidwill and replacing him, however being that's not an option, I see the Cards going back to the coordinator ranks and hiring Russ Grimm. I know some will say Ron Rivera's perhaps a better fit, however for some odd reason, in Arizona there's a lot of people high on Clancy Pendergast as a Defensive Coordinator, and they plan on keeping him regardless of who's head coach next year.

San Diego: Call me crazy, but I think this MIGHT be the job that tempts Pete Carroll to leave USC for. He remains in Southern California, gets to work with a good, young offense and a possible playoff team. This team seems to be on the brink of something very good, and unlike his previous jobs, in San Diego he won't be expected to wave the magic wand and make everything better.

New York: I see this one being quick, easy and effortless, as I see New York replacing Coughlin with their own defensive coordinator Tim Lewis.

andddddddd

Dallas: This one's Ron Rivera's job to give away. I see Dallas looking for the long term option this time rather than the short and quick fix. Rivera's a bright young mind, and I can see him getting offered this job rather quickly. Depending on who you believe, Fisher MAY have been offered the job already, although the NFL's strict tampering rules make me rule against this.

Back