Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidates

Meh, it's a Denver paper. Demeco is just the latest flavor of the month. Quinn was the favorite because he had 2 interviews last year and then one this year. Payton was the favorite because Walton had the most money and they flew out to meet him. Now Ryans is the favorite because he's still in the playoffs and supposedly they're down on Payton
Why would Ryans want to go to Denver when they're on the hook with Wilson for 48 million a year and the man can't play the game anymore!
The Cap is what, 230 million?.. and Wilson is eating up a little less that 25% of it and they STILL need a QB!
I wouldn't want to walk into that dumpster fire on my first HCing gig.
On the flip side the Texans are flush with high draft picks for the next 2 years, the Cap is in good shape and we've build a young nucleus of players that he can add onto. I know where I'd want to go, more importantly, I'd know where I don't want to go!

Why would Ryans want to go to Denver when they're on the hook with Wilson for 48 million a year and the man can't play the game anymore!
The Cap is what, 230 million?.. and Wilson is eating up a little less that 25% of it and they STILL need a QB!
I wouldn't want to walk into that dumpster fire on my first HCing gig.
On the flip side the Texans are flush with high draft picks for the next 2 years, the Cap is in good shape and we've build a young nucleus of players that he can add onto. I know where I'd want to go, more importantly, I'd know where I don't want to go!
I didn't say Ryans wanted Denver or they wanted him... read my post again

I'm starting to hope against Demeco, mainly because I think this franchise will ultimately tarnish his potential and it's only a matter of time before this fan base turns on him and a "Fire Demeco Ryans" thread pops up in his first season.

We don't deserve Demeco and he deserves better than the Houston Texans. JMO.
He’ll either coach guys up like a good HC or he’ll be exposed for what he really is/only being successful due to having a stacked defense as any DC would. Kinda like Lovie. Don’t start that “we don’t deserve him” bs!

What I don’t get is why the guys that are pounding the table for Demeco Ryans are also pounding the table for a QB at 1.2, lol. How much experience does he have coaching up/developing a QB and what offenses has he personally ran? His specialty is DEFENSE! I expect him to go pass rusher at 1.2 NOT QB.

What I don’t get is why the guys that are pounding the table for Demeco Ryans are also pounding the table for a QB at 1.2, lol. How much experience does he have coaching up/developing a QB and what offenses has he personally ran? His specialty is DEFENSE! I expect him to go pass rusher at 1.2 NOT QB.

Because a great QB + a great defense is a great recipe for success?

Also because there's no good reason to think that DeMeco will put himself in charge of coaching/developing a prospective QB..

Also because regardless of the QB anyone who would pound the table for DeMeco would by default have to assume he is going to have the right guy in mind to OC and guide his offense beause, well, he ain't going to be expected to do it..

Also because if his specialty is defense, which it by and large is, then he may well assume himself to be able to make more out of less and want to use his high value resource(s) on the thing he isn't going to be in as much direct control of as to lock that problem up without his necessary involvement while he can lock the other end up himself..

Also because as much as his 'specialty' is defense, which it again essentially is, as a HC his priority should/will be the overall collective planning, growth, culture, cohesiveness of the team at large.. and so he can delegate something as massively important as the QB and trust that if that QB is identified at 1.2 then the trigger should be pulled and he as a legit championship caliber HC will be more than happy to tackle (no pun intended, kinda) the rest..

To me, it's a package deal. I'm as interested in coordinators and other coaching staff that come along as I am the HC candidate.

I will say, watching the eagles this past week, they looked extremely well coached on both sides of the ball. That's not the kinda thing I normally pay attention to unless it's the Texans. It was pretty hard to miss though.

Depends on who he brings in for OC and who he thinks will be available at 1.12 and later

To me, it's a package deal. I'm as interested in coordinators and other coaching staff that come along as I am the HC candidate.

I will say, watching the eagles this past week, they looked extremely well coached on both sides of the ball. That's not the kinda thing I normally pay attention to unless it's the Texans. It was pretty hard to miss though.
The Niners have been coached at least as well if not better

But I was referring to a few folks that were sniffing his jock because of the speculation of his OC/DC. Now that Zimmer is out totally, and Reich is likely out...just wondering if that impacts their personal HC preferences in any way.

I don't THINK this is directed at me, but I'll respond anyway. I don't recall a lot of people being overly vocal about their support for Gannon.

I don't hate any of the candidates that have been interviewed so far. I like the list they put together.

Gannon is my first choice because I prefer defensive coaches and I think he's done a really good job with the Eagle's defense. The rumors about his staff have nothing to do with it for me.

Demeco would be my second choice.

After that, I don't much care as long as it's someone on that original list. Although Payton would be the last guy on my list, he does bring credibility and credentials and I'd support the choice.

The way Caserio is going about it, it is going to take a lot longer.

How?

7th most cap space, the ability to create 30-35 mil more. 11 draft picks in the upcoming draft and several high picks in the 2024 draft. What more do you want? The Texans are well positioned. They just need to keep accumulating talent and dont force the QB pick. But eventually find their QB.

I don't disagree with Payton as a coach, I think he'd be a good coach, what I disagree with are the draft choices given up to get him here.
Gotta pay for quality.

If I knew Cal would let Payton get the players he wants on his team and Cal would stay out of ALL personnel decisions, whatever the price to pay for this it would be worth a couple of high draft picks in this yrs draft. Which is why Payton to Kirby will never happen.

But at the end of the day you have the final say. The manager can give you the best advice in the world, but you have to take it. I may give pushback as a manager, but I am not going to browbeat the owner of my company into taking my advice, not if I want to keep my job.
There were things he suggested that I did not approve, but he was never in danger of losing his job.
After all, it was I who promoted initiatives.

All the suggestions were discussed thoroughly and he understood why I decided not to take those good suggestions.

If I was to do it over; I'll have him as my manager again, and I think I could go with him on a couple of major decisions with hindsight and all.

I mean I know they were good suggestions; I just didn't think I was in a position to implement them.

One would change our business model entirely from trade to retail.

The other would require a lot of work as it was going to be an entire different business with the possibility of phasing out the current one.

Also, there were outside forces in play - that I'd rather not divulge.

At any rate; yes, I do make the final call.
But his opinions were always highly regarded.

Very admirable. But I suspect that your business was not your "toy."
I'm not sure I understand what you meant to say.
I was not in that business to get rich.
It was something I love to do.
I never used my Electrical Engineering and Computer Science degree as I just want to be independent.

I also flipped houses on top of having a few rental properties.
The person who I've been mentioning is also very good with construction, repairs, (including car repairs), roofing, AC, electrical.

He can do a lot of things well.

One of the suggestions he made that I did not take on is to branch out from our printing business to also do commercial construction.

That's the one I said would take too much work as I was getting into my 50s, and he's 7 years older than I.

If he had suggested it some 5 years earlier, I would have gone for it.
He's happy to take care of operations while I handle the front.
What more can one asks for.

He was my manager but also became my best friend.

At any rate, my business was not a toy, but it afforded me to do a few things that I love (printing some Vietnamese books and magazines to help keep the culture for we immigrants).

We were all immigrants (or our parents were). And I love that Houston is a melting pot such that I had called it home since 1976.
I never ever thought of moving elsewhere.
I'm happy here.

How altruistic of you.

Bottom line is you made the final call after taking your employees input. Then the employees carried out your vision? If they didn't carry out your vision I suspect you found new employees?
I think I had answered your question with the two previous posts.

In summary, we thoroughly discussed what could be best for all and go from there.

I never had to find another manager.

I poached him from his previous employer.
We still did business with them all throughout.
I told his previous bosses that he can better help their business working with me.
We have more capacity because they farm out most of their works.
I have more production capacity so it's like they gave him to me on loan.

Bottom line is that I found the right one and I let him do his things (operation).

I hope the Texans can find a food GM and stay with him for a long time.

(Let's close my personal takes here. If I don't respond to you guys , it may show that I don't have respect to your opinions.
But I hate to digress from the thread)

:)
There is a good chance Texans fortunes turn a lot for the better next season if we do score some good coaching. We lost several games by 1 score or less this season and were competitive in more, so with an injection of talent on and off the field we could win 9-10 games. The point is, if that happens, then teams might be targeting our OC and/or DC!
Don't put the cart in front of the horses. Please.

Philly's OC is a smart guy. He ran that offence beautifully Sunday.

How?

7th most cap space, the ability to create 30-35 mil more. 11 draft picks in the upcoming draft and several high picks in the 2024 draft. What more do you want? The Texans are well positioned. They just need to keep accumulating talent and dont force the QB pick. But eventually find their QB.
What if the next HC wants a QB?

:)
Don't put the cart in front of the horses. Please.
I was counting my chickens before they hatched.
The situation I described is what we all observe with coaches around the league. If we turn this ship around with good coaching, the same thing will happen to us.

How?

What makes you think Caserio is going to change his stripes and colors?

Not sure why Steichen isn't getting more attention. His results in Philly have been fantastic. I read where his interview in Carolina went poorly, but I take all of that with a container of salt.

Steichen is my personal favorite ....

If I was putting money on it, it would be on Kafka.

I will say, watching the eagles this past week, they looked extremely well coached on both sides of the ball.
I will point out that the Eagles have a veteran team. Hurts is still a young QB, but he's always had a maturity about him. Even as a freshman starting QB at Alabama. The Houston Texans are not a veteran team. Not after the next 2 drafts. Each of these candidates are coming into a new experience. This team will not look like the Eagles, Niners, or Chiefs off the bat. The guy who exhibits the most patience is the right guy for this job.

From what I've read (mainly here) I'd be happy with Ryans, Gannon, or Steichen...all three seem like good choices. Kyle Shanahan's endorsement of DeMeco was nice to read. I don't think we could go wrong with any of them.

The only part that concerns me with hiring a defensive guy is if we do draft a QB in Rd1. However, I feel like either Ryans or Gannon would hire a good OC to bring him along.

On the draft, I wouldn't mind if the Texans drafted Clayton Tune in the later rounds. He has a good arm, and I think he'd be a capable backup in the league, somewhat in the mold of Case Keenum.

I will point out that the Eagles have a veteran team. Hurts is still a young QB, but he's always had a maturity about him. Even as a freshman starting QB at Alabama. The Houston Texans are not a veteran team. Not after the next 2 drafts. Each of these candidates are coming into a new experience. This team will not look like the Eagles, Niners, or Chiefs off the bat. The guy who exhibits the most patience is the right guy for this job.
I'm pretty sure all were prepared to be patient, but the fan base is not and they impact FOs decisions.

Much worse? :facepalm:
No-one is saying he is perfect, but worse?
For all the negatives, there are plenty of positives.
Why don't you post a list of those?
Why don't you? You're the one who sees the BIG positive picture. I can only think of very few positives; did not trade Watson before the trade deadline, and traded Roby but should have received a 2 instead of 3.

What else would you expect Shanahan to say about his DC?
I wouldn't expect him to rip him, but it looked to me like he wasn't just saying that to be nice. Also, given the fact that he's known DeMeco for over 15 years, I tend to trust his judgment more than others. Just my opinion though.

I wouldn't expect him to rip him, but it looked to me like he wasn't just saying that to be nice. Also, given the fact that he's known DeMeco for over 15 years, I tend to trust his judgment more than others.
Probably why he made him his DC.

Why don't you? You're the one who sees the BIG positive picture. I can only think of very few positives; did not trade Watson before the trade deadline, and traded Roby but should have received a 2 instead of 3.
I have seen the positives presented to you on numerous occasions man and you apparently still can't see them so why would I waste my time?

How?

How?

I'm worried he is going to spend the 2023 salary cap in the same manner he spent the 2021 and 2022 salary cap. Caserio has had almost as many draft picks in previous drafts and borrowed draft picks from future drafts to draft 5 players. If by accumulating talent like Davis Mills, I just don't see it. This is who Caserio is. Why do you think he will do a 180 on his money management and his draft approach and philosophy? Those who do not know history are bound to repeat. Times change people don't. Caserio's stripes and colors won't change.

How?

I'm worried he is going to spend the 2023 salary cap in the same manner he spent the 2021 and 2022 salary cap. Caserio has had almost as many draft picks in previous drafts and borrowed draft picks from future drafts to draft 5 players. If by accumulating talent like Davis Mills, I just don't see it. This is who Caserio is. Why do you think he will do a 180 on his money management and his draft approach and philosophy? Those who do not know history are bound to repeat. Times change people don't. Caserio's stripes and colors won't change.
So you don't want him to spend money in FA?

Personally I hope he only drafts 8-9 guys in this draft. For instance, it wouldn't bother me at all if Caserio traded Cooks an 4-103 to move up into the 2nd rd and gets a long time starter. Then uses the 2nd pick in the 5th and a 6th to move back into the 4th and picks a RB like he did with Pierce last yr. Quality over quantity.

Quality over quantity.
Except for those GMs who get quality with their quantity.

If Demeco does not become the HC for the Houston Texans it is because it is the Houston Texans. Cal has put the Texans back in the same place, square one, he created Jan. 6th 2021, "Somethings never change". And this resonates throughout the league along with the players who talk about how they escaped from Houston after getting their release.

I'm sorry but I read this in Cal's voice and I'm just laughing:

"It’s been a lot of fun, having interviews with the strong candidate list that we’ve had. We get to to ask them questions.
They get to ask us questions."
:smiliepalm:

Yea Cal that's how this works.......

Image 1-27-23 at 8.57 AM.jpg

Normally I would cringe if a novice wife were to get involved with football operations but in this one case, it might help considering what we have been dealing with. Still, my sense is this is typical Texans, they are not really taking it seriously. This dynamic duo does not really understand the game. Hannah enjoys all of the social events the franchise affords them. When all is said and done, the final decision on who the new HC is going to be may boil down to one single question, What church does your family attend?

History will likely show this is just another typical Houston Texans nightmare. If there is a silver lining or a positive, it is now that Hannah is involved, it is fair game to judge her contributions. The amount of negative response that comes with being in the arena may be enough for Hannah to tell Cal it is not worth it and that he should sell the Texans.

Last edited:
Except for those GMs who get quality with their quantity.

If Demeco does not become the HC for the Houston Texans it is because it is the Houston Texans. Cal has put the Texans back in the same place, square one, he created Jan. 6th 2021, "Somethings never change". And this resonates throughout the league along with the players who talk about how they escaped from Houston after getting their release.
And if we do sign Ryans? It will be because we're the Houston Texans? What do you say then?

Personally I hope he only drafts 8-9 guys in this draft.
They only have 39 players signed. A dozen of those guys are practice squaders. Then,Cooks has to be dealt. Britt & Murray have to be cut. The Texans need at least 6 rookies competing for starting spots, and another 10 filling out the back of the roster.

Caserio has brainwashed you.

Back