Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

HC possibilities - Cowher is the current flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twenty Super Bowl victories won by former defensive coordinators turned head coach:

Tom Landry (won two times)
Don Shula (won two times)
Chuck Noll (won four times)
John Madden
Bill Parcells (won two times)
Jimmy Johnson (won two times)
George Seifert (won two times)
Bill Cowher
Bill Belichick (won three times)
Mike Tomlin

Bill Cowher was a former special teams coach for Cleveland with Marty Schottenheimer.

Twenty Super Bowl victories won by former defensive coordinators turned head coach:

Tom Landry (won two times)
Don Shula (won two times)
Chuck Noll (won four times)
John Madden
Bill Parcells (won two times)
Jimmy Johnson (won two times)
George Seifert (won two times)
Bill Cowher
Bill Belichick (won three times)
Mike Tomlin

How did it work out for the likes of:
Dom Capers
Marion Campbell
Dave Campo
Buddy Ryan
Pete Carroll
Eric Mangini
etc.
Currently, it's not working out too well for Jim Schwartz or Steve Spagnuolo (but they have time).

ex DC's turned head coach account for 20 of the 43 Superbowls. My guess is that the likes of Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden, etc. (who were O.C's) account for the other 23 Superbowls.

...just sayin and I'm a guy that likes defense over offense any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

How did it work out for the likes of:
Dom Capers
Marion Campbell
Dave Campo
Buddy Ryan
Pete Carroll
Eric Mangini
etc.
Currently, it's not working out too well for Jim Schwartz or Steve Spagnuolo (but they have time).

Not sure what point that makes.

Obviously only a handful of NFL head coaches can say they've won a Super Bowl.

Currently 46.5% of all Super Bowls have been won by coaches with a background on the defensive side of the ball.

Thus to say a defensive coordinator turned head coach doesn't work out too often is false.

Just sayin'....

Adam Schefter reported Kubiak will be back and McNair wants him back. If it wasnt inevitable before, it is now, or should be now. So I guess it time to stop all the coach speculation of will he or wont he and who will or wont be taking over. Kubiak will be back for a final year.

Not sure what point that makes.

Obviously only a handful of NFL head coaches can say they've won a Super Bowl.

Currently 46.5% of all Super Bowls have been won by coaches with a background on the defensive side of the ball.

Thus to say a defensive coordinator turned head coach doesn't work out too often is false.

Just sayin'....

What's the point? It's a message board. One person presents a point another one posts a counter point.

I wasn't saying that it didn't work out too often. I'm saying that while close, ex DC's fall a little short. I only listed those guys to show while for every successful one, there's one that's equaled FAIL.

Also, as I stated I'm more of defensive guy anyway. I tend to like coaches with a defensive mindset so I have no problems with DC's moving to HC's.

Adam Schefter reported Kubiak will be back and McNair wants him back. If it wasnt inevitable before, it is now, or should be now. So I guess it time to stop all the coach speculation of will he or wont he and who will or wont be taking over. Kubiak will be back for a final year.

I sure hope Kubiak can figure out what the ****** he is doing before the season starts next year. If not this team is going to be in for a major setback that could be a dagger in the heart of this fanbase.

I sure hope Kubiak can figure out what the ****** he is doing before the season starts next year. If not this team is going to be in for a major setback that could be a dagger in the heart of this fanbase.

What I'm curious about is, say it doesnt work out and/or McNair decides to make change, who is he going to hire? This was the year for "big name" coaches. Now I dont know who will or wont be available next year, but doubtful it's anything like this year. Would McNair hire another unproven? Doubtful

I wasn't saying that it didn't work out too often. I'm saying that while close, ex DC's fall a little short. I only listed those guys to show while for every successful one, there's one that's equaled FAIL.

Right. I guess I failed to properly counter by saying for every successful OC turned HC there are also many who have failed. Thus: so what?

Not arguing with you----looks like we're in agreement regarding our preference for a HC with a defensive background.

Right. I guess I failed to properly counter by saying for every successful OC turned HC there are also many who have failed. Thus: so what?

Not arguing with you----looks like we're in agreement regarding our preference for a HC with a defensive background.

Yeah, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

It'd be nice to read stories like this of Kubiak:
Jones and others who work with the coach said the difference is Johnson wears his emotions on his sleeve. Despite the "I-don't-care-what-you-think" stance he often takes with the media or fans on his radio show, he takes slights personally. Couple that with his appetite for seemingly reading everything that's written about him or his team as he searches for motivation and it can make for interesting exchanges.

There was a moment earlier this season after Tech defeated Virginia, when Johnson good-naturedly called out a national blogger who had picked his Yellow Jackets to lose to the Cavs.

Then there was the "McDonald's" moment, while Johnson was coaching at Navy. Asked why the coaches seemed to get all the credit for the wins and the players the blame for the losses, Johnson cut loose but this excerpt made many chuckle:

"I don't go down to McDonald's and start second-guessing his job, so he ought to leave me alone," Johnson retorted.

Most important, beyond all the bluster, Bedford and quarterbacks coach Brian Bohannon said the team has taken on their coach's personality.

Take the overtime period of the Nov. 7 Wake Forest game, when Johnson, trailing by three points, risked his team's chances of the ACC title by going for it on fourth-and-inches from inside the 5-yard line. He later explained his decision by saying he can't ask his players to play to win if he's not willing to coach that way.

"He coaches the way he speaks," said Wes Durham, the radio voice of the Yellow Jackets. "He coaches the truth. He plays to win."

One can't talk about Johnson's competitiveness without mentioning the other big fourth-down decision. Trailing Clemson by a point in the ACC title game and facing fourth down on their last drive on their own 23-yard line with less than five minutes to play, the Jackets had to go for it if they had any hope of winning the game.

Johnson said there wasn't anyone on the field who doubted that not only were they going to get the first down, but that they were also going to score a touchdown and win the game.

"He's built the toughness and character of this team," Bedford said. "We have to go for 60 minutes. We're not going to stop until the final whistle."

I am admittedly, not a smart man, so can you please let me know what this has to do with Kubiak?

Not much. Johnson('s team) just seems to be strong in some of the characteristics that Kubiak lacks. I'm simply lamenting that fact (while giving my college team a pat on the back.)

Not much. Johnson('s team) just seems to be strong in some of the characteristics that Kubiak lacks. I'm simply lamenting that fact (while giving my college team a pat on the back.)

Nice!

I just want someone fired up on this team - just no old guy. Pollard has been a breath of fresh air in my Texans media consumption.

As the football-watching world continues to wait for Mike Shanahan to be announced as the next head coach of the Redskins, some think that Shanahan is still waiting for a team from Texas to join the bidding.

Per a league source, there's a belief in some league circles that Shanahan secretly covets the Texans' head-coaching job.

Adam Schefter of ESPN recently reported that Shanahan wouldn't want the Texans job, because it's currently held by former Shanahan lieutenant Gary Kubiak.

But if/when Kubiak is fired, that could change. Quickly.

In Houston, Shanahan would be reunited with his son, Kyle, who currently works as Houston's offensive coordinator. Mike Shanahan also would be working again with Texans G.M. Rick Smith, who was a member of Shanahan's coaching staff in Denver before heading to the team's front office.

Of course, Smith would have to give up final say over the roster in order to land Shanahan. But if the options for Smith are a back seat to Shanahan or no seat at all, Smith might be willing to give up the ability to trump the head coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/01/shanahan-still-might-have-his-eyes-on-texans/

IMO...Shanahan should not be given total control of any roster. That is what got him in trouble in Denver.

Honestly I really question at the end of the day how much control over the roster Rick Smith really has anyway. At the end of the day it's Gary's roster IMO.

What got Shannahan in trouble in Denver was getting a competent defensive coordinator, sounds familiar again.

this is so much B/S speculation.
any quotes from any of the affected or named coaches/GMs/owners...??
No..?
Didn't think so.
One of us might as well have posted that crap. And if you go back thru the posts, we may well have posted something similar.
meh....
Get back to me when they have something on tape from some of the affected parties - like McNair or Dan Snyder or Shanny Sr.

this is so much B/S speculation.
any quotes from any of the affected or named coaches/GMs/owners...??
No..?
Didn't think so.
One of us might as well have posted that crap. And if you go back thru the posts, we may well have posted something similar.
meh....
Get back to me when they have something on tape from some of the affected parties - like McNair or Dan Snyder or Shanny Sr.

I agree.

I agree that PFT is usually full of speculative crap, just like they seem to do all offseason; however, before we have put together the latest win streak, I thought Shannahan was probably the best fit if we did get rid of Kubiak as he could take the talent on this roster that fits his system already, and he brings a lot better game management skills than Kubiak has.

Of course all of this means nothing because if the Texans put up a good showing against a Pats team that is likely going to be resting most of their key players for at least some of the game, Kubiak should keep his job.

Unless the team comes out and looks completely unprepared to play, I think Gary will be the coach for the 2010 season... If not, Shanny would definitely be on the short list of coaching candidates if McNair feels like he needs to make a move.

Owner Bob McNair said after Sunday's 34-27 victory over New England that coach Gary Kubiak will return for his fifth season.

McNair said last month that he didn't want to make a change because change would be disruptive and that he would wait until after the season to evaluate Kubiak.

The season ended Sunday with a 9-7 record and a four-game winning streak.

"Gary's my coach," McNair said after the game. "I know there was speculation that he might not be, but he is. He'll definitely be back. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be.

"The team matured today. It was a great victory for us."

McNair also said last month that he thought the Texans had a better chance of being a better team in 2010 with Kubiak than a new coach.

"Look at the conditions he coached under, all the injuries," McNair said. "I like Gary for a lot of reasons. He's got a great offensive mind. He has a great sense of how to push players and when to back off. He also doesn't play favorites. He treats players the same, and they respect him for it."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl//6796978.html

No need for this anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back