Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Has Schaub been worth his pay?

petedy

Waterboy
Question for all of you, has Schaub been worth his pay given the number of missed games and his performances the past couple of seasons?

I don't know, but he hasn't YET been worth those two 2nd round picks we spent on him.

The entire product as a whole hasn't been worth their pay...

Do you think another team would give the Texans two second round picks and redo Schaub's contract to the same level? I don't think the Texans would do it again, but they might.

So what's next ? Draft a qb and some secondary help? You also need a better o-line.

Everyone is always going to say we need a better O-line. Yes, I'm not real impressed with our new center, but I didn't see any problems with him Sunday. I also don't think Schaub is done proving himself. He just hasn't been worth it yet.

So far, Schaub has not been worth two 2nd round picks. Doesn't mean he won't in the future though. It doesn't matter now anyway.

Not yet and thats parts of the problem! The only way to find out if he is going to be is to start him and keep starting him and let Sage ride the pine. Since we are 0-4 in the conference and 0-3 in the division that needs to be the focus of the remainder of the season is finding out if Schaub can carry this team.

We still need Defense Defense Defense, S, LB DT, and pass rush end, get some in FA and draft the rest!

Short answer: No

Long answer: I'm not that upset about it, he's shown a lot of things that I can like about his game.

Is any athlete really worthy of the millions they are paid ? ....

Probably not, but that goes for any given entertainer. But that's capitalism. Society places a high value on being entertained these days.

Has Schaub been worth his pay?

We have not had a starting QB in seven seasons that has really been worth what we have paid them.

Perhaps Schaub proves his worth over time. But at this point, it's a work in progress at best. JMO

Question for all of you, has Schaub been worth his pay given the number of missed games and his performances the past couple of seasons?

No. He hasn't.

I wish we could merge Sage and Schaub into one QB, to be honest.

I think Schaub is going to get hurt, again, at some point.

My avatar and signature explains how I feel about our QBs.

Always be aware of this fact: Shaub is a woman. I think he is overpaid, but he DOES play well for a woman.

Can someone bring back that SWT thread, with him saying he had inside source that said Carr will be our starting QB until he retired? With that said, yes it was worth the trade. That trade broke the evil spell Carr had on McNair.

But if you put that aside, then I'll say wait until the end of the season to decide that.

oh btw, if the question ask if he's worth the pay, then yea. If I'm correct he doesn't get paid the big bucks until next season. But if you meant the two 2nd, well then I would've perfered taking Brady QUinn or Kevin Kolb in the draft and keep those two 2nd.

Always be aware of this fact: Shaub is a woman. I think he is overpaid, but he DOES play well for a woman.

I suppose you have a picture of him in a dress?

That's right, photoshoppers, I'm leaving up to you for the evidence! LOL

Can someone bring back that SWT thread, with him saying he had inside source that said Carr will be our starting QB until he retired? With that said, yes it was worth the trade. That trade broke the evil spell Carr had on McNair.

But if you put that aside, then I'll say wait until the end of the season to decide that.

oh btw, if the question ask if he's worth the pay, then yea. If I'm correct he doesn't get paid the big bucks until next season. But if you meant the two 2nd, well then I would've perfered taking Brady QUinn or Kevin Kolb in the draft and keep those two 2nd.

he gets like 20 million next year in bonuses and salary because of the way they structured the deal and unless he totally turns it around, that option will not be picked up. i think Schaub would then have to rework a more team-friendly new deal or enter Free Agency.

my guess is that he will do well enough to earn himself a new team-friendly lesser contract but not for the Texans to continue with his current contract to be brought into its 3rd year (where all the money was). He'll probably be a Texan but it won't be under his current deal unless he just gets really hot and has some more leverage and suitors...me thinks that aint happenin.

he gets like 20 million next year in bonuses and salary because of the way they structured the deal and unless he totally turns it around, that option will not be picked up. i think Schaub would then have to rework a more team-friendly new deal or enter Free Agency.

my guess is that he will do well enough to earn himself a new team-friendly lesser contract but not for the Texans to continue with his current contract to be brought into its 3rd year (where all the money was). He'll probably be a Texan but it won't be under his current deal unless he just gets really hot and has some more leverage and suitors...me thinks that aint happenin.

Me neither and :goodpost:

No he hasnt. IMO you we should of started out with a good veteran and drafted a prospect later to learn under that vet. I would really like to see this team with a proven qaulity vet QB at the reigns.

No he hasnt. IMO you we should of started out with a good veteran and drafted a prospect later to learn under that vet. I would really like to see this team with a proven qaulity vet QB at the reigns.

We should've started out with a 7th round rookie, because we were going to ruin him anyway. 'Course that kind of "who cares" attitude would've caused Casserly to select Tom Brady, but...

Agreed. No doubt Smith will be trying to re-work that contract in the off-season. This would also be a good time to get a young QB to groom. Have Schaub start for two more years, then integrate Kubes apprentice into the offense. If Schaub plays up to his trade value in those two years, then we could have a Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers situation, which would be amazing.

I hope Schaub doesn't take any helicopter lessons from Sage but I have noticed that Matt knows how to do the fetal position well.

No. He hasn't.

I wish we could merge Sage and Schaub into one QB, to be honest.

I think Schaub is going to get hurt, again, at some point.
My avatar and signature explains how I feel about our QBs.

I believe that scenario is a likely. As I certainly understand I am in the minority, I feel that Sage still maintains the respect of the offense, and injects a strong element of excitement to the offense that Schaub doesn't. I felt that his "questionable" decisions at the end of the game were partly due to his enthusiasm to make the team look better and demonstrate his desire to gain a chance at the starting position. Things didn't unfortunately end that way. My guess is when Sage does get another chance at being at the helm, he will have learned from this episode and, at the same time, will not have to carry the burden of proving to be "superhuman." And he will get another opportunity.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you need to remember that huge contract MCNair gave Carr as incentive. I believe it just might be possible the team picks up that option because he's a nice guy.

No one is worth the kind of money that NFL quarterbacks get paid.

But as to the spirit of your question, he hasn't earned his money yet. However, he's only had 12 starts. How many starts should a team give a high-dollar QB before declaring him a bust?

I believe that scenario is a likely. As I certainly understand I am in the minority, I feel that Sage still maintains the respect of the offense, and injects a strong element of excitement to the offense that Schaub doesn't. I felt that his "questionable" decisions at the end of the game were partly due to his enthusiasm to make the team look better and demonstrate his desire to gain a chance at the starting position. Things didn't unfortunately end that way. My guess is when Sage does get another chance at being at the helm, he will have learned from this episode and, at the same time, will not have to carry the burden of proving to be "superhuman." And he will get another opportunity.

I hope you are right Cloak because Sage got the Texans to the best lead they have ever had over the Colts. The first 3 and 1/2 quarters were the best football the Texans played all year. I just don't think Sage deserves to be dumped on so hard. People forget that Sage is one of the main reasons the Texans made it to 8-8 last season.

I like Schaub and I hope he turns out to be worth those 2 2nd round picks. But up until now he hasn't. The rest is up to him. Hopefully seeing Sage light it up against the Colts and also how the Texan players seemed to be playing with more fire with him in there will cause Schaub to play at a new level. One that wins us games and inspires the players around him.

he gets like 20 million next year in bonuses and salary because of the way they structured the deal and unless he totally turns it around, that option will not be picked up. .

Don't be silly, Pal. This is the Texans, Bob McNair, the Loyalty Club. Remember 5 years of David Carr.

Schaub is NOT a woman (as reported in some previous msg in this thread). THat is an injustice to women. Schaub is a delicate flower with skills. He will be QBfor this team for the next three years. By that time he will be replaced with a draft choice.

At this point...not really. He still has the rest of this season to prove he was worth the move. Considering all other options I'm not 100% sure there was a better option that at the time, league wide, that had better upside then Matt.

I'm curious though, and I might die in a firestorm for saying this, but I wonder would we have made that trade for Matt had anyone seriously thought Miami would take Ginn instead of Brady Quinn.

I agree!

In the eyes of most fans on this board, until about 5 minutes left in the game against the colts SAGE was that QB.

Mike

Schaub hasn't been worth money spent on a Jersey yet. He's not proven himself to be any better than a good backup QB. He's had good and bad games and if I'm comparing him to Carr, he's an upgrade, but he's not what he was hyped to be coming into Houston. Compare QB ratings between Schaub and Rosenfels. Look it up(Career and as a Texan). Who's the backup and who's the starter? If Schaub WAS worth the money spent, there wouldn't be a comparison.

However, he's only had 12 starts. How many starts should a team give a high-dollar QB before declaring him a bust?

My crystal ball says 12 starts out of 20 starting opportuinities is a glimpse into the future. A- he's too lanky to withstand the physical punishment he's going to see in a season. B- I want to question his heart. What leader sits out the game because his tummy hurts? He wouldn't have been the first professional athlete to pop a couple of Midol and play. And before anyone cries foul at this notion, I actually don't believe it's his heart. I'm guessing that even if he wanted to play, the Texans likely told him he's going to sit. But back to the top of my reply... That's not a tough decision when your having to choose which backup to start.

I hope you are right Cloak because Sage got the Texans to the best lead they have ever had over the Colts. The first 3 and 1/2 quarters were the best football the Texans played all year. I just don't think Sage deserves to be dumped on so hard. People forget that Sage is one of the main reasons the Texans made it to 8-8 last season.

I like Schaub and I hope he turns out to be worth those 2 2nd round picks. But up until now he hasn't. The rest is up to him. Hopefully seeing Sage light it up against the Colts and also how the Texan players seemed to be playing with more fire with him in there will cause Schaub to play at a new level. One that wins us games and inspires the players around him.

totally agree, most people don't give Sage enough credit.

I don't think it's fair to say Sage got the Texans the best lead they've ever had against the Colts. He wasn't playing defense and he wasn't blocking nor running the ball. That was a team effort. Everyone played better than they had been.

I really didn't see anything Sage did that stood out to me as him giving us an edge. He didn't do anything that Schaub can't do or hasn't done. In fact I think if Schaub had played in that game we would have won. But that's neither here not there...

Sage played a really good game up until those last minutes though.

Schaub played poorly in the season opener, but wasn't really that bad against the Titans. Big letdown by his teammates - they dropped some key passes. Of course he played very well against the Jags.
The overall durability/toughness question about Schaub has to come into play again as an issue after his inabilty to start this past Sunday because of a flu-bug ? Seems like he could have atleast started, maybe not finish the game ? But then, I dunno much about what really happened ?
Bottom line is this. We will almost surely have the answer to this question by the end of the season, Schaubs second with the Texans, but right now I think it would be premature to expect a definitive answer.

I look at the fact that the top qb's drafted the last 2 yrs got 30m guarantee and schaub got 18m. So I think he's probably worth it.

Here's another question for all of you,do think if Matt had been playing in this game against the Colts would the Texans have scored 27 points?

The overall durability/toughness question about Schaub has to come into play again as an issue after his inabilty to start this past Sunday because of a flu-bug ? Seems like he could have atleast started, maybe not finish the game ?

On Kubiak's radio show he said Schaub was in the hospital on Saturday and received 6 bags of fluids. He also said Schaub admitted he still felt weak but wanted to start the game.

Here's another question for all of you,do think if Matt had been playing in this game against the Colts would the Texans have scored 27 points?

I do. Schaub has played so far this season without the benefit of a consistent running game. The backs broke off a couple long runs for Schaub, but nothing close to as consistent as Sunday's performance. Everytime Schaub has had a decent running game and decent protection, he's done well.

The overall durability/toughness question about Schaub has to come into play again as an issue after his inabilty to start this past Sunday because of a flu-bug ? Seems like he could have atleast started, maybe not finish the game ? But then, I dunno much about what really happened ?

Why does everybody assume that schaub took himself out of the lineup before the game and it wasn't a decision made by Kubiak? How do we know Schaub didn't go up to the coach sunday morning and say that he could go and Kubiak started sage anyway?

His offense put up 27 the week before against Jacksonville, so why not?

Besides, our defense held Indy to 10 points most of the game. There is no reason to believe that this team would not have performed the same. They prepared all week with Schaub taking the snaps, and it was only on the morning of gameday that they learned Sage would be starting.

Why does everybody assume that schaub took himself out of the lineup before the game and it wasn't a decision made by Kubiak? How do we know Schaub didn't go up to the coach sunday morning and say that he could go and Kubiak started sage anyway?

Reports that I've read said that Schaub wanted to play but Kubiak would not let him.

In a word NO

I'm a Schaub supporter but he hasn't done it yet.

I believe he will end up doing great things.

I am pretty sure he wouldn't have made the dumb mistakes Sage made.

Back