Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gregg Easterbrook definately doesn't know football

bckey

All Pro
Did any of you fellow Texan fans see this clowns article "The tuesday morning quarterback"? Did he even see the game on saturday? How about how baffled he was at how we dropped from 16th in defense in 2002 to 31st in 2003. Injuries you *****! The most in the league and we still played some of the best teams in the nfl to the wire. What a joke. Here is a link to the article. I'll attach what he wrote obout the Texans below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7585972

Houston
What in the Sam Hill happened to the Texans defense? In 2002, the Houston defense was 16th ranked -- not bad considering the team's awful offense meant the defense was on the field too much. The 2002 defense played several monster games, including a late-season 24-6 Houston victory at Pittsburgh, a playoff club that year, in which the Texans defense scored twice. But in 2003, the Houston defense placed itself at a right angle to everything (quick, who gets this Heinlein reference?), finishing 31st-ranked, five times giving up 30 or more points, allowing 125 points in the fourth quarter. And Texans coach Dom Capers preaches defense. Of course, the Houston offense was horrible too, also finishing 31st overall. A major improvement from its 2002 finish of 32nd! So perhaps the sustained cover-your-eyes awfulness of the Houston offense finally wore out the Houston defense.

Considering how bad Houston was on both sides of the ball -- 31st-ranked offensively and defensively, outgained by an average of 111 yards per game -- the hand of the occult seems present in the fact that this club managed to win five times. The mystery deepens: Houston beat Super Bowl entrant Carolina, took Super Bowl winner New England to overtime and ended its season with close defeats to Indianapolis and Tennessee, both playoff-bound. How did this team accomplish anything, considering its defense was terrible, its offense was terrible and it had no kick-return game to boot?

Winning five again may represent a challenge. The team gained little in free agency, other than managing to acquire salary-cap problems despite starting off with a blank cap two years ago. Plus, the Texans are handicapped by what are among the most boring uniforms in pro sports. Those blah uniforms make the Texans look slow, perhaps make them feel slow. Considering that the color scheme of red, white and American flag blue is currently not in use in the NFL, why not switch to it, Houston? Red, white and flag blue is, not to put too fine a point on it, the single-most successful color scheme in world history.

Fun fact: David Carr wears his wedding ring while playing. When TMQ coaches in a county flag football, the refs require players to remove all jewelry. Sounds smart. How does Carr get away with this? So far as TMQ knows, Carr is the first NFL gentleman since Miami punter Reggie Roby -- who in the 1980s inexplicably wore a watch on the field -- allowed to flash an accessory that has nothing to do with football.

TMQ

Man I've seen some Texan bashers, but this guy takes the cake. He completely blasts the Texans in all 3 phases of the game. He says our offense and defense our "horrible." He bases his entire opinion on the fact that the Texans ranked 31st on offense and defense. He never mentioned we played without both of our pro-bowlers, started 2 rookies on offense, and led the NFL with 17 guys on IR.

I hate when people do that. Yards do not equal points. Yards per game is such an overblown statistic.

...The 2002 defense played several monster games, including a late-season 24-6 Houston victory at Pittsburgh, a playoff club that year, in which the Texans defense scored twice...
The defense score 3 TDs. 2 by Glenn, 1 by Wright.

This guy was funnier on ESPN.

Wow, what the heck is this guy smoking? And to top it off he calls our uniforms the most boring in pro-sports.

Obvioulsy the reason he seems so shocked that we played the Patriots, Colts and Titans tough and beat the Panthers is the fact that he has NEVER seen the Texans play.

Either that or he's a Cowboys fan in denial.

Winning five again may represent a challenge. The team gained little in free agency, other than managing to acquire salary-cap problems despite starting off with a blank cap two years ago. Plus, the Texans are handicapped by what are among the most boring uniforms in pro sports. Those blah uniforms make the Texans look slow, perhaps make them feel slow. Considering that the color scheme of red, white and American flag blue is currently not in use in the NFL, why not switch to it, Houston? Red, white and flag blue is, not to put too fine a point on it, the single-most successful color scheme in world history.

Absolute moron.....little in FA?
This has got to be the WORST writer I have ever seen.

Do some research before you start spitting your mouth!

Easterbrook's job, as Lucky alluded to eariler in the thread, is to be funny. Dont read him if you want great info. Read his articles if you want to be entertained....

DOOOOO-FUSS. Thats all I'm saying about Greg Easterbrook, that and the fact that he made it on NFL.com baffles me. I bet he's a closet Cowgirls fan.

Fiddy said:
Easterbrook's job, as Lucky alluded to eariler in the thread, is to be funny. Dont read him if you want great info. Read his articles if you want to be entertained....

I am an open-minded individual, but I just could not see the funny or entertaining part of this, because his information is so off. Somebody needs to send NFL.com a letter when the Texans manage to muster those 5 wins he so graciously said we would have a hard time getting. :twocents:

I don't know, I have trouble getting too offended over this. Last season (or maybe it was the year before, I don't know. It's been a while) he wrote a really funny piece about why rushing yardage keeps going down. His explanation was that the offensive linemen keep getting bigger and now they've reached the point where there's no room to run between them. It was pretty funny.

This one just missed the mark and was full of misstatements. I never considered him to be an "analyst" in the least though. He does slightly funny pieces about football. Sometimes he hits and other times he misses.

Hervoyel said:
I don't know, I have trouble getting too offended over this...
If this was on ESPN's Page2 (where it belongs), I'd laugh it off. But to read on NFL.com that the Texans will be lucky to win 5 games, got zilch in free agency, and have salary cap problems is just too much. Writing for the official site requires a little research rather than pulling assertions out of your rear.

This is what happens when the society page guy, who usually covers weddings trys to cover football. Come on guy watch some football once in a while, don't try to go off stats.

The really sad thing is that I'm starting to become numb to this type of coverage, it use to piss me off when the Texans got no respect, now it is like a everyday thing like the wind blowing. I guess it is good for my blood pressure that it doesn't bother me anymore.

IF Gary Walker is able to give us three more seasons, he will still cost over $5 million to cut prior to the 2007 season. He's signed through '09 but he's already 31 years old. That and the other 20 million in s/b they gave to Smith and Wade is the kind of cap stuff he's talking about.

Guys go ahead and laugh it off anyway. Seriously, you should welcome the lack of respect. It's going to make the payback that much more enjoyable. If it was up to me I'd like to see just about everyone across the country not taking the Texans seriously for the majority of the season. Once we get about 4-5 games into 2004 though it won't last. The same people who don't think they're going anywhere are going to be doing features on them and acting like they were in the know from the very beginning.

To most of the talking heads and writers this probably seems like a safe assumption. Picking the Texans to barely improve over last year is the safe pick and honestly, how did that quote go? "We are what our record says we are"? To date they've played tough and shown some heart but they haven't had success yet. National media type respect comes after you demonstrate some success so fine. Let them say whatever they want to say because those same guys are going to be lining up with their hats in their hands to get on the bandwagon when the time comes. If they don't think the time is now then fine to that too. It IS early. The target was 2005. If we make some waves this year then that's just gravy.

I think it's great to have more people like him, I always liked to see people eat their words. The Texans after week 5 will be 5-0 and all those ediots will be trying to jump on wagon and no one in the media will bring up what they wrote before the season.

Sometimes I like reading the reaction moreso than the article (I'm sure Easterbrooks is glad someone is reading...).

If they write something bad, they're an i d i o t. If they write something good, it's cause for celebration.

Although I will admit, this guy seems to be basing his opinion on a few misplaced facts. Did I miss it or did he not mention injuries in the article?

Cowboys trash talked on "Hard Knocks" on HBO...come September 9th they weren't being smart mouthed.

Miami players told Texans before game..."see you after this practice game" guess going 0-1 when everyone in world said you going to Super Bowl as a lock was an embarassing practice.

I read every NFL scouting mag they all give us little or no chance to do anything but be a "Cellar Dweller", most seem to think we will be lucky to beat last years total..........I LOVE IT!!!! :boxing:

I have been encouraging San Diego fans to tell Chargers to trash talk us before game and especially in print, would love to see what would happen with another show of disrepect.

I plan to contact NFL.com and say you need to tab humor as a humor article not like it's anything but opinion :thumbdown

PS David Carr doesn't wear his wedding ring anymore, that is a piece of tape he wears so when theyshow his hand his wife can see it

Was that supposed to be funny or something? I have seen heart transplants on TV that seemed more humorous than that drivel. First of all, most good comedy, imo, is funny because of the fact it is based on trueisms. This guy has so many facts wrong, there is no factual basis for his so-called comedy. In fact, virtually every major point is flat out wrong. If this stuff passes for comedy, then I could pass for the Queen of England. :crazy: :thumbdown :wacko:

aj. said:
IF Gary Walker is able to give us three more seasons, he will still cost over $5 million to cut prior to the 2007 season. He's signed through '09 but he's already 31 years old. That and the other 20 million in s/b they gave to Smith and Wade is the kind of cap stuff he's talking about.
By the time the '07 season rolls around, the NFL will have a new TV contract and a new CBA with the players. Maybe Easterbrook knows something about this that Charley Casserly doesn't? I'm going to trust the Texan GM that those contracts will be managable at that time. Even if TMQ doesn't think so.

noxiousdog said:
No doubt.

I'll be a contrarian and say I find Easterbrook quite entertaining.

This edition was sorely lacking, though.

Concur. He's usually pretty funny, though I'd caution taking anything he says as "analysis". He's an entertainer, not an analyst. He doesn't have the resources to really investigate most of what he writes - and even if he did, trying to nuance his points take some of the sarcastic tone out that is his trademark.

It is true that the Texans stats last year were abysmal. We all know that combining 2nd year lack-of-depth with NFL-high injured reserve and the toughest schedule in the league don't mix well, but some folks are stat-first people. This is no doubt the same logic Ditka used to dis' us.

By the time the '07 season rolls around, the NFL will have a new TV contract and a new CBA with the players.
The current CBA runs through '07. Under the current agreement, '07 will be an uncapped year but I can't imagine that happening unless the players union decides to get stupid. I think it's likely we see a new extension by '06 but I can also see future seeds of revolt being sown by some agents and various comments by players. I hope they don't screw it up because for now it's the best system in pro sports.

I expect a deal to get done within the next couple of years because the cap rules won't allow proration to non-CBA years. So signing rookies (especially after the insanity this year) will be unmanageable unless it can be carried through a long contract. That said, I suspect there will be a significant cap jump 10-20% the year after the new deal gets done. Hopefully the Texans see this coming and will get extensions for players like Sharper that they want around for a while.

I expect a deal to get done within the next couple of years because the cap rules won't allow proration to non-CBA years.
Teams are allowed to prorate signing bonuses beyond '07 (the uncapped year and last year of the CBA).

There is a 6 year allowable proration this year, a 5 year proration allowable in '05, and a 4 year allowable proration in '06. I guess that's so teams can still get the benefit of some proration up until the year before it goes uncapped.

Easterbrook is back with this reply in his last column:

And now TMQ's new annual Reader's Revenge feature, interrupted by the usual asides and non-sequiturs. By the hammer of Grabthar, the readers are avenged!

Michael Cross of Houston thought it was iniquitous for me to criticize the Texans' 2003 season without mentioning how many gentlemen were on injured reserve. He offers this incredible haiku triptych:

TMQ unfair
to beloved Houston Moo Cows!
Much gnashing of teeth.

Offense: Hurt Carr means
two starts for rookie Ragone;
just three points skews stats.

Defense: Seventeen
players on injured reserve
was most in the league.
-- Michael Cross, Houston

Back