Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Greg Eslinger signed to Practice Squad

dtran04

Veteran
Anyone know anything new about this guy? Obviously he was very highly touted coming out but has been cut twice.

He has only been cut once. He was on IR in 2006 in Denver. Then they put him on the practice squad after playing in Europe. Cleveland signed him from Denver's practice squad in November. Sounds like a classic zone blocking guy.

If I recall correctly he was the second rated C behind Mangold last year. Out of Minnesota which, once again if I recall correctly, used a zone blocking scheme. It helped that they had Barber and Maroney in the backfield.

What type of offense does the Browns run?
Why they cut Eslinger for Phillip?

Maybe they want a bigger guy?
Fraley was listed at 315, and Phillip 307.

This could be a good signing for us, my initial thought.

I dunno, but I think the prospects for resurrecting the Denver ZB shemes
here in Houston are looking better all the time. That is if they have any
potential long-term interests in this guy.
Both Eslinger and Butler, the former U OT guy drafted by the Panthers in the third round and picked up by Rick Smith, are ZB profiles of the first magnitute.
"The ZONE Blockers
Greg Eslinger, Minnesota, 6-3/290, Center: Eslinger played in a zone scheme at Minnesota, and may be ill equipped for even that in the NFL, with a three cone time of 7.59 at the combine. Don't be surprised to see him fall into the second day.
Rashad Butler, Miami, 6-5/293, Tackle: Extremely quick times and athleticism make him a solid bet for mid to late round clubs in need of a swing (left or right) tackle project with NFL caliber skill-set and pedigree."
http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/OLschemes.cfm

They say he is listed as weighting 292, but he looks smaller then that. Dude may just need some weight gainer 4000. :devilpig:

Cartman3.jpg

I dunno, but I think the prospects for resurrecting the Denver ZB shemes
here in Houston are looking better all the time. That is if they have any
potential long-term interests in this guy.
Both Eslinger and Butler, the former U OT guy drafted by the Panthers in the third round and picked up by Rick Smith, are ZB profiles of the first magnitute.
"The ZONE Blockers
Greg Eslinger, Minnesota, 6-3/290, Center: Eslinger played in a zone scheme at Minnesota, and may be ill equipped for even that in the NFL, with a three cone time of 7.59 at the combine. Don't be surprised to see him fall into the second day.
Rashad Butler, Miami, 6-5/293, Tackle: Extremely quick times and athleticism make him a solid bet for mid to late round clubs in need of a swing (left or right) tackle project with NFL caliber skill-set and pedigree."
http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/OLschemes.cfm
I believe you're right. We probably won't be looking for big guys unless they are also mobile, which is rare (Spencer).

He was rated at #1 center in the pre-2006 draft by virtually all media...............Not going #1 was essentially due to his size.........Dang,
it's H&ll being puny!!!!!

Positives:
Whenever someone is speaking about Greg Eslinger it is always good. A blue collar guy with no ego or off the field issues, Greg is just a guy that truly loves to play football. He is an extremely gifted athlete, pulls on run plays and screens better than any guard or center prospect in the draft.

He is not just an undersized offensive lineman who moves well. He drives defenders off the ball and into the ground. He is the best all around center in the draft he is smart, can move well in space, he can move the pile, and he has no ego. There is a lot to be said about that in this day and age.

Negatives:Although there are no glaring weaknesses in Eslinger’s game he would be the first to tell you that he needs to work on everything. Probably the biggest knock on him is his size. I am sure he can add a little more weight but 290 is pretty stout especially at center. He could also improve his pass blocking. Against big nose guys he is subject to the bull rush. He will need to work hard to polish his game every day in practice.

Overview:
Greg Eslinger is flying under the radar. He is the top center in this draft. He is way above average in all phases of his game. He moves well, is an excellent run blocker, gets it done in pass protection, and is smart enough to handle the line calls in the NFL. He is a blue-collar offensive lineman who brings it on every single play. His college coaches rave about his toughness and non stop motor even in practice.[/SIZE]

There is a reason why Minnesota has had one of the best rushing attacks in all of the country the last four years, and that reason is Greg Eslinger. I would look for him to move up the boards after the combine. A definite first-day pick.

NFL Comparison: Tom Nalen, Denver Broncos

He was rated at #1 center in the pre-2006 draft by virtually all media...............Not going #1 was essentially due to his size.........Dang,
it's H&ll being puny!!!!!

Positives:
Whenever someone is speaking about Greg Eslinger it is always good. A blue collar guy with no ego or off the field issues, Greg is just a guy that truly loves to play football. He is an extremely gifted athlete, pulls on run plays and screens better than any guard or center prospect in the draft.

He is not just an undersized offensive lineman who moves well. He drives defenders off the ball and into the ground. He is the best all around center in the draft he is smart, can move well in space, he can move the pile, and he has no ego. There is a lot to be said about that in this day and age.

Negatives:Although there are no glaring weaknesses in Eslinger’s game he would be the first to tell you that he needs to work on everything. Probably the biggest knock on him is his size. I am sure he can add a little more weight but 290 is pretty stout especially at center. He could also improve his pass blocking. Against big nose guys he is subject to the bull rush. He will need to work hard to polish his game every day in practice.

Overview:
Greg Eslinger is flying under the radar. He is the top center in this draft. He is way above average in all phases of his game. He moves well, is an excellent run blocker, gets it done in pass protection, and is smart enough to handle the line calls in the NFL. He is a blue-collar offensive lineman who brings it on every single play. His college coaches rave about his toughness and non stop motor even in practice.[/SIZE]

There is a reason why Minnesota has had one of the best rushing attacks in all of the country the last four years, and that reason is Greg Eslinger. I would look for him to move up the boards after the combine. A definite first-day pick.

NFL Comparison: Tom Nalen, Denver Broncos

As Kaiser Toro mentioned Nick Mangold was the #1 ranked center that year, and so far he is living up to that hype (he;s been outplaying D'Brickashaw).

But I agree that he has a chance to be a great ZBS C. I wonder if we're ditching all elements of the GB power running system now that Sherman is College Station bound? Eslinger and Butler would certainly fit that theory (and yes I know that Butler was signed before Sherman took the Aggie job, but maybe they know he would get a job...or atleast expected that he would).

This is huge. I was big on drafting Eslinger and thought he would be a great pickup. I think that he is our Center of the future and will be solid in that role. He likely wont play this season, but he just might crack the starting lineup week 4 next year.

This is a great move for multiple reasons. First, it gives us our longterm answer at Center. Second, it gives us more depth at Oline. If we end up moving White to RG/C, we can get Studdard to be our backup LG/C. Third it means one less position we need to worry about in the draft or FA. Now we can focus on other positons of need in FA and the Draft.

So our O line next year could look like this

LT: from Draft, Salaam, Butler
LG: Pitts, Studdard
C: Flannigan, Eslinger
RG: Weary, White
RT:Winston, Frye, Butler

This leaves Spencer to fill in and get his strength back before coming into one of the guard positions.

Eventually it could be:
LT: from Draft, Butler
LG: Studdard, Pitts
C: Eslinger, White
RG: Spencer, Weary

This is huge. I was big on drafting Eslinger and thought he would be a great pickup. I think that he is our Center of the future and will be solid in that role. He likely wont play this season, but he just might crack the starting lineup week 4 next year.

This is a great move for multiple reasons. First, it gives us our longterm answer at Center. Second, it gives us more depth at Oline. If we end up moving White to RG/C, we can get Studdard to be our backup LG/C. Third it means one less position we need to worry about in the draft or FA. Now we can focus on other positons of need in FA and the Draft.

This leaves Spencer to fill in and get his strength back before coming into one of the guard positions.

Eventually it could be:

I pretty much agree here, love the pick-up. was real high on him too, seemed like a perfect fit back then & even more a need now with McKinney & White down. great, under the radar screen signing, Rick Smith is awesome :)

Dang !
Sandwiched in between Jammal Brown in 2004 and Joe Thomas in 2006,
all this kid did was win the Outland Award in his junior year at Minnesota
in 2005 ! And he was also 4-year starter there. He's gotta have something going for him, gotta have some kind of potential ?
So the Broncos took him in the 2006 Draft before McNair hired Rick Smith so Eslinger is clearly one of Ricks boys, one of his Draft picks while still in Denver.

http://encarta.msn.com/media_701500419/Outland_Award_Winners.html

Where is McKinney?

And why is Weary on there? He was a FA after this season and his injury is Charles Spencer-ish.

this is the beauty of following the NFL draft process, you build a solid base of understanding, maybe not all but certainly the cream of the crop each year coming out of College. then apply that knowledge, sometimes years later out of the blue & suddenly you know alot more about a teams roster than you ever care to imagine.

Eslinger was projected a 3rd/4th rd. pick. I remember watching him open holes in the center of the line for Laurence Maroney to run through @ Minnesota. If he still has that kind of quickness & somehow can build his strength to deter the bull rush he can play in this league because he is a true workhorse, game film studying, football player & excellent technician similar to Ryan Kalil just less powerful.:twocents:

I was pretty high on him coming out, but obviousely he hasn't hit his stride yet. I see this as a low risk, high reward transaction, and it is another feather in Rick Smith's cap.

Does anybody know anything about Kevis Coley, the LB we signed along with Eslinger? Finding any decent info on him is proving to be a challenge.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but I wouldn't crown him as our future center just yet.

Everybody is talking about his college accolades but nobody is talking about his warts, lets talk about the reasons he was never able to crack the active roster in Denver or Cleveland before we crown this guy our future starting center.

For the record, im happy to have him if he's anywhere close to what he was in college.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but I wouldn't crown him as our future center just yet.

Everybody is talking about his college accolades but nobody is talking about his warts, lets talk about the reasons he was never able to crack the active roster in Denver or Cleveland before we crown this guy our future starting center.

For the record, im happy to have him if he's anywhere close to what he was in college.
As for Denver, Tom Nalen, first of all.

I got blasted when someone here called Brisiel a scrub and I said he is not a scrub he just has not had the oppertunity to play and for us to see what he can do in live game options.

While I agree not labeling him anything just yet, but it sure would be nice to keep him around and see if he can put a few pounds on. It is not like there is no good BBQ joints around town.

Tom Nalen. Mis-fit system in CLE. IR.

Those are 3 fairly solid reasons he hasn't gotten a fair shake to this point.

before he becomes our future center he must prove he can handle pressure @ the point of impact, against huge NFL NT's/DT's who outweigh him 50 pounds, he must be able to hold the point without collapsing the pocket. my guess is he will upgrade depth @ the position, replace Hodgdon/White or both behind Flanagan & McKinney & used in run oriented playcalling.

just an observation on my part, probably way off base, but instant replay has slowed down the game & allowed the proliferation of the modern day giant linemen, not just giving them time to catch their wind but amass huge chunks of mass. think of Greg as a throwback, old school offensive linemen when the average size was around 275 lbs. obviously I'm not a fan of instant replay it takes away from the beauty, endurance & purity of the game. :hides:

The reason he fell down the draft boards was because of his probable lack of ability to handle the massive two gap beasts inside in the NFL...and his shoulder injury (just about as bad as having bad wheels) in Denver hurt his chances early on as he hasn't been able to stick on a roster despite him being a blue collar technician with good feet...if he is ever going to make it in the league this is probably his best shot now as he can go into camp and compete for a roster slot in 08 with a team that has a couple of older Centers who are on the backside of their careers.

obviously I'm not a fan of instant replay it takes away from the beauty, endurance & purity of the game. :hides:
I'm pretty sure the NFL has always had a play clock. So I'm not sure how instant replay would impact the game (other than helping determine a referee challenge).

It's not just the NFL seeing bigger, stronger athletes. Baseball and Basketball are going through the same evolution. Probably even sports most don't follow, like water polo. Mainly, just improvement in training and nutrition. Maybe a little unnatural help here and there.

As for Denver, Tom Nalen, first of all.

As for Cleveland, Hank Fraley, second of all.... (not that Fraley is a world beater, but he is an established vet.)

As for Cleveland, Hank Fraley, second of all.... (not that Fraley is a world beater, but he is an established vet.)

And they have a huge contract with LeCharles Bentley--actually they just restructured it today to lessen the cap consequences if he can't play next year.

Eslinger has Tom Nalen written all over him, or actually a young Tom Nalen.
Nalen was drafted late, very late in the 7th round and is quite smallish for an NFL OLineman, at a listed weight of 286. But in his prime (he's now 35 and on IR this year), he was very quick and a real fit as the center in Denvers ZB schemes it used in its offense. He was also a very savy football player with
excellent tecnique.
So with Kubiak in clear control of the O after Shermans exit and assuming the Texans return to Kubiaks roots so to speak in Denver and given the need for a transfusion of youth in the OLine, expecially at center, its little wonder that Rick Smith (and Kubiak) jumped on Eslinger when he became available at a bargain price.
He's got his best shot yet.

Eventually it could be:

Assuming Steve McKinney is healthy, I see him on team rather than Flannagan, Especially with Sherman gone.

Had some good college stuff (I remember wanting him in the draft)and seems to have had a bit of bad luck so far in the pros. If he is anything like everyone thought he would be coming out of school, we may have a real steal. This would seem to drive the need to draft a center much further down the draft day list.

Very little time to get him some action and see how he does. Draft is right on top of us. This is like depending on Spencer to make it back. Do you spend a draft pick on another center or hope what we have will solidify the position?

Very little time to get him some action and see how he does. Draft is right on top of us. This is like depending on Spencer to make it back. Do you spend a draft pick on another center or hope what we have will solidify the position?

It takes some of the pressure off to draft a Center but will not discourage the Texans from drafting a Center should a good value/talent fall into their laps. remember we have a long laundry list of needs, IMO :)

he was given a chance in Denver...

we would have signed him after Nalen's and Hamilton's injuries if we thought he was worth it

good luck though, seemed like a nice guy

we would have signed him after Nalen's and Hamilton's injuries if we thought he was worth it

What chance?? Just curious, because the sites I have looked at said he spent the whole time on IR (and as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread).

He was signed--to Denver's practice squad. Cleveland signed him from there.

This may clarify why Eslinger was "cast aside".............These events could have very well ultimately given the Texans a jewel rather than a true cast off.
Dec 13 2007 9:30PM
KXMBTV Bismarck
After realizing his lifelong dream of making an NFL roster last month, Greg Eslinger is now on the outside looking in.

That's because the Cleveland Browns have waived him.

Its the second time the Bismarck native's been cut this season, beginning when he just missed making the Denver Broncos roster before the season started.

The Broncos then added him to their practice squad, and on November 14th, the Browns signed him away as an unrestricted free agent.

During his time in Cleveland, Eslinger didn't see any action.

With the signing of former Pittsburgh Steeler's center Marvin Philip, the Browns felt Eslinger was expendable and made it official yesterday.

According to his father, George, Greg is heading back to Denver to live and hopes to catch on with another NFL team as soon as possible.

BTW, The Browns and Packers put in waiver claims on Steelers center Marvin Phillips, who was cut by the Steelers on Monday. The Browns were awarded him because the Packers had a better record, and the team with the lesser record gets the player. The Browns figure Phillips could add depth to the interior of their line as a backup.

Undrafted FAs have an uphill battle because the team has a minimal investment and the GM might have to cut someone he drafted instead .

Undrafted FAs have an uphill battle because the team has a minimal investment and the GM might have to cut someone he drafted instead .

successful NFL teams build solid foundations with blue collar low-round & undrafted free agents. we have now witness'ed Rick Smith rebuilding this team, on the fly throughout this season addressing need/injurys. The Texans have improved, in part, because of these lunch pail, unsigned/released players who have to earn their keep, doesn't hurt the bottom line either :shades:

successful NFL teams build solid foundations with blue collar low-round & undrafted free agents. we have now witness'ed Rick Smith rebuilding this team, on the fly throughout this season addressing need/injurys. The Texans have improved, in part, because of these lunch pail, unsigned/released players who have to earn their keep, doesn't hurt the bottom line either :shades:

I agree with Smith . I'm not sure about the previous guy .

Who would you keep ? You have to consider salary and production but can only choose one .

A. Earl Cochran
B. Anthony Weaver
C. Jason Babin

I'm not sure that is a good sign for Eslinger...the Browns had a chance to see Eslinger up close and chose to pick up another Center that they don't have an opportunity to watch as closely and release Eslinger.

Back