Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Green to IR

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
Finally.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5360662.html

Texans running back Ahman Green will not play again this season after the team put him on injured reserve today.

Coach Gary Kubiak made the announcement this morning.

Green finishes the season with two touchdowns and 260 yards on 70 carries. He started four of the six games in which he played.

On the quarterback front, Shane Boyd was promoted from the practice squad to back up Sage Rosenfels on Sunday against Tampa Bay.

I really think that Green's injury is a repeated of DD/Ws, and that this is it for his career.

I just hope we don't keep him another year and see this happen again.

I don't think I'd take another chance on him.

I was expecting a season out of him. I know we signed him to a 4 year contract- thought we get 1 good season, 1 mediocre and then release him.

boy was i wrong.

I just hope we don't keep him another year and see this happen again.

I don't think I'd take another chance on him.

And if we do....we'd better get somebody other than Ron 'are you going to eat that' Dayne via draft or FA. :gun:

I was expecting a season out of him. I know we signed him to a 4 year contract- thought we get 1 good season, 1 mediocre and then release him.

boy was i wrong.

This is exactly what i said.......

... it's exactly how i feel now too..... :brickwall:

Truthfully, I expected the Texans organization to say:

"we're just resting him the rest of this season, he will be back 100% for next season. We'll have him on a conditioning program although he doesn't really need it because he's in the best shape of his life. It's just a knee bruise and he will run it off in a couple weeks...we expect to extend his contract in year 4 and give him an $8million bonus."

Good. Let him go, let's just start over at that position in the off season. Even if we don't do anything at all, at least knowing where you stand with Dayne is better than wondering if Green can play and getting your hopes up.

However, we REALLY need to address the RB position along with the offensive line in the off season.

You can't have a running game if every week you are having to juggle which hurt or mediocre person is inactive. What a waste of a season.

We had a problem at RB before this season. The FO tried to make a short-term fix, it turned out to be a bit more short-term than we hoped for. Stuff like this happens, but at least they're TRYING to fix the problem :)

Truthfully, I expected the Texans organization to say:

"we're just resting him the rest of this season, he will be back 100% for next season. We'll have him on a conditioning program although he doesn't really need it because he's in the best shape of his life. It's just a knee bruise and he will run it off in a couple weeks...we expect to extend his contract in year 4 and give him an $8million bonus."

Don't even be thinking things like that OMT! :bat:

Of course it is not that big of a shock, but when you couple it with:

"Green is the 17th player to the placed on the Texans injured reserve this season. They lead the league in players on IR."

It's a real kick the shorts. :brickwall:

I wonder if Green was a rookie , would he play ?

They said he looked good in practice but now it's no ... to the IR you go .

The Texans are the place to go I guess to get that last paycheck .

Frog I am going along with your avatar theme .

I wonder if Green was a rookie , would he play ?

They said he looked good in practice but now it's no ... to the IR you go .

The Texans are the place to go I guess to get that last paycheck .

Frog I am going along with your avatar theme .

Awesome!I might have to keep Yukon for a bit. Pretty tough guy who takes out and tames Bumbles.

I'm with you on the IR thing. I think this is starting the off-season despite probably being able to play or get through it.

In other news, I hear the Texans will sign Priest Holmes out of retirement next year ... 3 years/$13M.

:gun:

In other news, I hear the Texans will sign Priest Holmes out of retirement next year ... 3 years/$13M.

:gun:

I am feeling ill...........
2202_puking.gif

Michael Turner......we have an open spot for you. I just have this feeling he will be a Texan next year.

I can't say I was shocked by this, I hope he rehabs well. Anyone know the cap hit if/when we cut him?
It depends on whether the cap hit from the remaining bonus allocation would be spread over 2 years, or just take the complete hit in '08. If the Texans absorbed the entire cap hit, they would still save about $1.2 million against the cap, since Green in due a $3.8 million salary next season.

It depends on whether the cap hit from the remaining bonus allocation would be spread over 2 years, or just take the complete hit in '08. If the Texans absorbed the entire cap hit, they would still save about $1.2 million against the cap, since Green in due a $3.8 million salary next season.

I don't know about that . What I do remeber a whole buch of folks garaunting the board that the contract costs for ahmen were negligable. Therefore there was no concern . Yeah, now tell me another one. They need the roster spot(s) for the C/G disaster. For what we are about to recieve may we all be truly greatful.

And once again the Austin papers call this the bust of the year! And thats without Charlie Casserly!

And once again the Austin papers call this the bust of the year! And thats without Charlie Casserly!

Marvin Harrison has been out most of this year with the same thing as Green. I guess the Colts keeping him this year was a mistake too.

Well, we should have expected it. A great season in 2003 and he hasn't played a full one since. Good riddance.

I don't know about that . What I do remeber a whole buch of folks garaunting the board that the contract costs for ahmen were negligable. Therefore there was no concern . Yeah, now tell me another one. They need the roster spot(s) for the C/G disaster. For what we are about to recieve may we all be truly greatful.

So they should have predicted that there would be this many injuries?

The contract from what I recall is very low if it is two years not just one, because of structuring. I will look for the contract details.

They can't cut him while he is injured, correct? Don't they have to make an injury settlement?

On a side note...Reggie Bush is out for the year also. I am very glad we did not take him in the draft...

They can't cut him while he is injured, correct? Don't they have to make an injury settlement?

On a side note...Reggie Bush is out for the year also. I am very glad we did not take him in the draft...

They're not going to cut him or settle him out unless he can't recover by OTAs. That would be an admition that they made an enormous bo-bo.

The contract from what I recall is very low if it is two years not just one, because of structuring. I will look for the contract details.
Green signed a 4 year, $23 million deal. $6.5 million guaranteed.

This is not good news, but it's par for the course with this season. I believe he was only meant to be a stop gap fix & based on some comments from Kubiak earlier in the year, I believe that Chris Taylor was going to be given the opportunity to take over the starting position at some point during the season. But, who could've foreseen him getting a season ending injury before the season even started?

Unless McFadden falls to us, I doubt we'll take a RB with our 1st round pick. Hopefully, we'll be able to trade down & pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick from someone. I read somewhere where the writer speculated that we could trade down with San Francisco for their late 1st (formally New England's) & early 2nd round picks. Given our success in the last 2 drafts, I'd be very interested in such a trade.

By the way, does anyone know the current prognosis of Chris Taylor?

we should just cut Green and take the Cap hit on him next year if we wanted a BUM knee running back we could of kept DW the star formerly known as DD.:cool:

for those of you who understandably are upset & personally feel the $6M cap hit try & understand the buisness side I'm sure Ahman Green didn't point a :gun: to the Texans collective heads & demand they cough up 23 million or else, it was the Texans decision he just agreed.

we've been down this road before I'm almost always in favor of the player/worker over the establishment/buisness as long as its not something of a scam planned out in advance. pre-condition or not I beleive Ahman Green came here to our city to play football for the Houston Texans & unfortunate as it is his body just broke down on him.

one of the beautiful things about this organization is that they have the resources to recover easily from this, while I'm mad he can't play too (as I'm sure he is as well) at least he can live a happy & productive life moving forward. I wish him well, maybe if he is interested he could coach the backfield the Texans could still recover some of their losses :)

Looks like the Chronic's Richard (in)Justice believe's Ahman is good as gone.

Looking toward 2008, what position should the Texans fix first?

I'm voting for an impact running back. Until the Texans can run the ball consistently, they won't be able to protect Matt Schaub or be productive on offense.

In the wake of Ahman Green's release
, let's review the previous off-season. Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith appear to have had another solid draft depending on the development of Amobi Okoye. They got it right with Danny Clark, but whiffed on Jordan Black and Ahman Green. They also got it right on Matt Schaub, but the jury is still out given his injuries.

I was way wrong on Ahman Green. I knew there were risks associated with a 30-year-old running back. I also believed Ahman Green was far better than anyone the Texans had on their roster or could get in the draft. They weren't going to get Adrian Peterson with the 10th pick, and it was a thin draft for running backs. In the end, I thought Ahman Green still had gas in the tank.

He didn't. Zilch. Zippo. Ahman Green was $6.5 million poorly spent. (I think he has another $1.5 million in guaranteed money coming if the Texans cut him.) He had three games in which he got at least 15 carries. He finished with 260 rushing yards and two touchdowns. In the snapshot that the Texans had Matt Schaub, Ahman Green and Andre Johnson healthy, they looked like a playoff team. But that's irrelevant.

On a side note, Ahman Green isn't exactly the nicest guy the Texans have had in their lockerroom. If a guy can't play, you'd think he'd at least be nice. Don't judge a guy by the smiling face you see on TV. Even jerks can be nice for 90 seconds.
Has Green already cleaned out his locker? I doubt King Richard would be slamming Ahman so hard, if he still had to face him at the practice facility.

But, you don't have to be Miss Cleo to foresee Green's release. Conventional thinking would have the Texans taking a RB in the draft. I think Smith & Kubiak won't wait that long, and will hit free agency once again. Michael Turner would be a long shot, but Julius Jones is a possibility. Jones' outside game would mesh well in combination with Ron Dayne. Sorry Herv (if you're still out there), but the Dayne Train will be pulling out of Reliant Station again next season.

so ahmen doesn't bend over and kiss the media's ring...therefore we dump him is that it ? And just when has this HC thrown any veteran under the bus ? six million here six million there prety soon you're talking some big money. Money you won't see the chronicle put up. They can't even afford to put the college FB stats up any more. Dump the college football stats for the genderly challenged boys socker teams. Is that it ? Got the cutie pie shorts on: gets the chronicle sport reporter guys hot...they dump the FB stats is that it ? So instead of replacing some of these neandertal sports guys they have they chop the football coverage. I think I see the problem here. No one likes lopez . no one likes justice. And yet the chronicle keeps paying these guys. How about this we dump those two keep the scocer coverage for the genderaly challenged so they aren't banging on our childern and bring back the college football stats ?

I hoped for better from him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought he only had two games where he started and finished the game. If he had found a way to stay healthy, he would have been big for the Texans. Now they are back in the mix for another running back, unless Walker or somebody develops.

However, I'm still happy with what the Texans have gotten out of Dayne. He is great for November and December. Now the Texans just need somebody who can run in September and August.

It's going to be interesting to see what The Dayne Train does today. I have a feeling they will be using him a lot. I suspect he'll pop one or two today and approach 100 yards before he collapses in a cloud of pizza crust.

so ahmen doesn't bend over and kiss the media's ring...therefore we dump him is that it ? And just when has this HC thrown any veteran under the bus ? six million here six million there prety soon you're talking some big money. Money you won't see the chronicle put up. They can't even afford to put the college FB stats up any more. Dump the college football stats for the genderly challenged boys socker teams. Is that it ? Got the cutie pie shorts on: gets the chronicle sport reporter guys hot...they dump the FB stats is that it ? So instead of replacing some of these neandertal sports guys they have they chop the football coverage. I think I see the problem here. No one likes lopez . no one likes justice. And yet the chronicle keeps paying these guys. How about this we dump those two keep the scocer coverage for the genderaly challenged so they aren't banging on our childern and bring back the college football stats ?

Do you think the Texans should keep Ahman around for another year?

It's hard to tell from your above post.

"Six million here and six million there."

Agreed.

The money spent on sports today is beyond my understanding. I bought tickets to the Oilers when they were $7 a game and $3 to park.

As far as the "genderly challenged" comment, I really don't understand what you are trying to convey there.

The Chronicle is reaching out to a large segment of their reading public by reporting on soccer games. I personally do not like soccer, but then many soccer fans don't like our brand of football. :throwball:

I also don't like cricket, badminton, table tennis, nascar and televised golf plus many other types of competive events. But others do.

It's mostly a cultural thing that most of us didn't grow up with here in the US.

I have never personally seen or heard of any soccer player "banging on" my children. Or anyone elses' for that matter.

If I did, I would be judged by 12 of my peers.

I also disagree with most of what Justice and Lopez have to say.

I really doubt that the Chronic discarded football stats because the soccer players wear "cutie pie shorts:. :D

As far as college football stats. I only care about the stats of my favorite team, and there are web sites to garner that information.

:coffee:

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/2008/03/ahman_green_ready_for_fresh_st.html

March 02, 2008
Texans' Ahman Green ready for fresh start

I talked to Texans running back Ahman Green and it appears as if he will be full strength when the Texans offseason workout program starts at the end of March.

Green suffered a serious knee injury in the first game last season. He tried to play through it, but it got worse each time he got hit. He was never able to play in a complete game last season and eventually landed on the injured reserve. The injury wasn't one that required surgery though. It mostly needed just rest.

The injury wasn't similar to Mario Williams' plantar fasciitis (inflammation in the foot), but the best way to recover was similar. Everyone remembers how Williams came back as a sophomore after taking off a few months. The Texans need Green to have a similar recovery and comeback.

Green sounded optimistic last week and said he is looking forward to joining his teammates soon.

"It's going good," Green said. "I've been working out for almost two months and then I'm going to take a little break before we start as a team come March 31st. It'll be a needed break. I've been going hard at it. Take a little couple of weeks off and get back to it."

Green said once he joins the offseason workouts, he will no longer in the rehabilitation stages.

Nice info Wolf!

Although I do have to say, I choked on my salad when I saw this thread come up. I thought, crap, he's already on IR and we haven't even started working out yet!!!

If AG lives up to his potential - a 1000+ yarder, then the Texans are in good form. The problem is if the dude gets injured again and Dayne is left carrying the load. While Dayne is a great back and I am so glad the Texans got him, I question the Texans' ability to make it to the play-offs with just Dayne in the backfield.

I still think it's a DD/W type injury. THe second he takes another hit it'll flare up again...but I hope he'll be good for the 2008 season.

Back