Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Grantland's Latest Take on the Texans

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10088331/bill-barnwell-houston-texans

Or they could try to pick up the best of both worlds. With the first overall pick in a draft where there's a true franchise quarterback available, the Texans are sure to field juicy trade offers reminiscent of the haul that the Rams received from Washington in the Robert Griffin III deal. Maybe Houston trades the first pick to the Rams for their two first-round picks and ends up with Clowney and, say, local star Johnny Manziel. The point is that the Texans have options. Part of rebuilding quickly is getting a really high draft pick at exactly the right time. The Texans appear to have pulled that off.

This scenario is particularly intriguing to me. I still feel strongly that the team should take the best QB available, but if you are somehow able to nab two top level players in one deal you do it. This draft is freaking loaded, Rick Smith better not mess it up because it shouldnt be that hard to retool given the players that will be available during your selections. I dont agree with the Clowney part, but any variety of multiple top 15 picks would work wonders.

I would even get uber aggressive and trade back into the late 1st round and get yet another guy, using picks from next years draft.

Many would argue faulty logic on this piece because Bridgewater is a JAG.

If the league is convinced on Teddy though it has more merit, then again if Teddy is a franchise guy you take him and never look back.

Many would argue faulty logic on this piece because Bridgewater is a JAG.

If the league is convinced on Teddy though it has more merit, then again if Teddy is a franchise guy you take him and never look back.

You also have to find a team dumb enough to make that trade. RGIII/Herschel Walker type deals come along rarely...

Great point.

It's not going to happen.

And, I'm ecstatic because Bridgewater is so freaking legit.

What makes you think Bridgewater is the answer? He has not looked impressive in a lot of his starts including; UH, Memphis, Rutgers and Cincinnati. I don't get this Teddy fever. If you were to take any the other 1st or 2nd round quarterbacks and play those same teams it would be a total blow out.

He plays in the AAC, these are NOT GOOD DEFENSES IN COLLEGE. He has had one good victory over Florida but he has really regressed since then.

You also have to find a team dumb enough to make that trade. RGIII/Herschel Walker type deals come along rarely...

Not sure why people keep saying this about the RGIII trade. The trade is not far off by the chart. Future picks are downgraded a round per year conventionally.

What makes you think Bridgewater is the answer? He has not looked impressive in a lot of his starts including; UH, Memphis, Rutgers and Cincinnati. I don't get this Teddy fever. If you were to take any the other 1st or 2nd round quarterbacks and play those same teams it would be a total blow out.

He plays in the AAC, these are NOT GOOD DEFENSES IN COLLEGE. He has had one good victory over Florida but he has really regressed since then.

Did you see his game last thursday?

Teddy is absolutely a franchise QB:

1) The guy strives to be a "coach on the field"
2) There's not a bad hair on his head
3) He runs a pro style offense at lville
4) Capable of reading defenses and making adjustments at the LOS
5) Makes ALL the throws
6) Throws his WR's open
7) Natural leader
8) Uncanny pocket awareness
9) Keeps his eyes downfield while side stepping pass rush
10) Makes plays when the play called breaks down
11) Goes through progressions
12) 4.5-4.6 speed
13) Pocket passer first
14) Ice water in his veins
15) Football junkie
16) Film junkie
17) Understands football
18) Great dude, Great citizen, Face of Franchise type player

I have studied him extensively over the past 1.5 years. He's the real deal. I cannot wait to see #5 Teddy Bridgewater in a Texans uniform.

Is he? Someone is going to have to make that call in the FO.

If he is you draft him, if he is not you hope some team is convinced he is not.

That one decision will determine our next few years.

Not having a franchise caliber QB has plagued our team for the last 12 years.

I'm willing to take a gamble. Although I do not see it as a gamble, but nothing is a "sure thing".

?

Since the Florida game....

268/382 (70.2%) for 3523 yards (9.2 y/a) with 28 TD's and 4 INT's.

You can not like him because he doesn't blowout UH. That's fine. But don't throw stuff like regression against the wall hoping it will stick. That is just simply inaccurate.

Great point.

It's not going to happen.

And, I'm ecstatic because Bridgewater is so freaking legit.
most were shocked when Washington gave three firsts and a second for RG3 but they did. Cleveland defense is getting good but still need a QB and they missed out on RG3 so a deal is not out of question.

But then there is his mediocre performance against our own Houston Cougars about a month back and it makes you second guess yourself.

http://youtu.be/IQKN-F6fk6I

2:02 to 2:11 and 2:40 to 2:51 in particular. We already have Case Keenum who can do that with our current offensive line.

But anyways, watch the entire 7:38 video and I'm not convinced Teddy is a franchise QB. Yeah it's one game but that's against our hometown team. Eat 'Em Up Cougs!

Uncle Rico. I'll be upset if we don't draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. We need to add another beast up front to pair with J.J. Watt, especially if we move to a 4-3 defense depending on the new coaching staff.

But then there is his mediocre performance against our own Houston Cougars about a month back and it makes you second guess yourself.

http://youtu.be/IQKN-F6fk6I

2:02 to 2:11 and 2:40 to 2:51 in particular. We already have Case Keenum who can do that with our current offensive line.

But anyways, watch the entire 7:38 video and I'm not convinced Teddy is a franchise QB. Yeah it's one game but that's against our hometown team. Eat 'Em Up Cougs!

haha, so 1 bad game does it for you?

you realize no one is perfect, right? andrew luck and peyton manning had bad games in college too.

Uncle Rico. I'll be upset if we don't draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. We need to add another beast up front to pair with J.J. Watt, especially if we move to a 4-3 defense depending on the new coaching staff.

be prepared to be upset.

no chance we take clowney because of his red flags.

smith is not about to go through sam montgomery again.

1) The guy strives to be a "coach on the field"
2) There's not a bad hair on his head
3) He runs a pro style offense at lville
4) Capable of reading defenses and making adjustments at the LOS
5) Makes ALL the throws
6) Throws his WR's open
7) Natural leader
8) Uncanny pocket awareness
9) Keeps his eyes downfield while side stepping pass rush
10) Makes plays when the play called breaks down
11) Goes through progressions
12) 4.5-4.6 speed
13) Pocket passer first
14) Ice water in his veins
15) Football junkie
16) Film junkie
17) Understands football
18) Great dude, Great citizen, Face of Franchise type player

I have studied him extensively over the past 1.5 years. He's the real deal. I cannot wait to see #5 Teddy Bridgewater in a Texans uniform.

I like Bridgewater too but man I wish Jameis Winston was a year older. I was comparing the two and that kid is unreal. No 19 year old should be that good. Bridgewater is a very good prospect but Winston is up there with Luck and Manning.

Not sure why people keep saying this about the RGIII trade. The trade is not far off by the chart. Future picks are downgraded a round per year conventionally.

Fair enough. If someone is willing to make that type trade then you bite their arm off. This team is well more than just a QB shy of being good.

I sort of like Bridgewater, myself. But my daughter, who is not a member, wants me to post her opinion:

"Quarterback should be a high priority. But I have a couple of misgivings about Teddy.
1. Guys named Ted are so often unspeakably evil criminals.
2. Black quarterbacks in the NFL have usually been inconsistent."

I sort of like Bridgewater, myself. But my daughter, who is not a member, wants me to post her opinion:

"Quarterback should be a high priority. But I have a couple of misgivings about Teddy.

hm, your daughter should probably keep that to herself.

That's profiling

So, you're daughter is a racist...

Counterpoint:

1) Presidents named Teddy have been amazing 100% of the time, so we're good there :swatter:

2) You should show her clips of Warren Moon and Cunningham :P

Franchise QB trumps franchise DL right?

If Bridgewater was a franchise QB.

I dont believe he is. Manziel is better than Bridgewater. IMHO. I dont want the Texans to draft Manziel either. 1-1 makes me say pass on Bridgewater. Take Clowney at 1-1, and Mettenberger or Murray who have just as much talent as Bridgewater. They're just coming off injury.

Tell me arm strength wise, being able to read defenses, played against far better competition, what makes Bridgewater 2rds better than Bridgewater. I understand the need for a franchise QB, but no need to reach for one. Especially with guys like Clowney/Barr on the board.

If Bridgewater was a franchise QB.

I dont believe he is. Manziel is better than Bridgewater. IMHO. I dont want the Texans to draft Manziel either. 1-1 makes me say pass on Bridgewater. Take Clowney at 1-1, and Mettenberger or Murray who have just as much talent as Bridgewater. They're just coming off injury.

Tell me arm strength wise, being able to read defenses, played against far better competition, what makes Bridgewater 2rds better than Bridgewater. I understand the need for a franchise QB, but no need to reach for one. Especially with guys like Clowney/Barr on the board.

i don't know about barr, but there is absolutely zero chance the texans take clowney 1.1

additionally, you are smoking crack if you think mettenschaub and murray have "as much talent as Bridgewater".

Counterpoint:

1) Presidents named Teddy have been amazing 100% of the time, so we're good there :swatter:

2) You should show her clips of Warren Moon and Cunningham :P

Is it racist to ask to see Moon/Cunningham's rings?

BTW, that's not why I dont like Bridgewater, 1. Arm strength, 2. Some avg performances against teams like UH.

I agree. I don't think Bridgewater is 2 rounds better than Bridgewater.

Will edit, For whatever reason that's the only post in thread that I am unable to edit. I guess the mods have a sense of humor.

Dyslexia at its finest.

I'm of the belief we need to see about trading down. There isn't a sure-fire, can't miss #1 overall guy. I think Case and Yates can get it done next year if we shore up what we left hanging by letting too many guys go. If we can get Jake Matthews at 5 or 6 and another ILB or a good DE or CB later in the first I'd be happy.

Mega trades involving multiple picks are very rare, so the so-called chart value is irrelevant. Teams willing to part with all this stuff are not that common unless the prospect is considered to be overused 'can't miss." I can't remember the last deal involving the 1st overall pick (Rivers/Eli maybe), but unless Bridgewater is rated higher than I think, while the best QB in this draft the chances of an RGIII are less than 10%, imo.

Will edit, For whatever reason that's the only post in thread that I am unable to edit. I guess the mods have a sense of humor.

Dyslexia at its finest.

No clue what the problem is other than there is a time limit on how long you can edit. What do you want it to say?

Mega trades involving multiple picks are very rare, so the so-called chart value is irrelevant. Teams willing to part with all this stuff are not that common unless the prospect is considered to be overused 'can't miss." I can't remember the last deal involving the 1st overall pick (Rivers/Eli maybe), but unless Bridgewater is rated higher than I think, while the best QB in this draft the chances of an RGIII are less than 10%, imo.

I agree the key is whether Bridgewater is as highly coveted and big trades are rare. Likely not.

I hardly think a trade which is darn near spot on with the chart shows the chart to be irrelevant.

Now the Giants overpaid by the chart.

Can't tell if joking or not.

No clue what the problem is other than there is a time limit on how long you can edit. What do you want it to say?

I agree the key is whether Bridgewater is as highly coveted and big trades are rare. Likely not.

I hardly think a trade which is darn near spot on with the chart shows the chart to be irrelevant.

From what I can tell (no linkage) more teams than not don't use that chart (floated around the internet for years now) at all and that nego. trade for RGIII being close was happenstance. other words, I don't think a good measure when evaluating trades any more.

I enjoy Bill's writing.

My biggest issue with this analysis is that without knowing head coach, new way of doing business, hard to speak intelligently about the Texans future:

Things the piece ignores:

1. Problems with the GM. If you don't have a QB, you are dead in the water. If you have an average to below average GM, it's like having no good QB. Who knows what sort of GM Rick Smith will be once the rest of the more experienced Denver cartel has left the building? Theoretically, he could be better, but we have no evidence that training wheels off Rick Smith would be good at all. Dead.

2. If you have issues at GM, it puts a lot more pressure on getting the right head coach and assistant staff. We have no idea what direction they go.

3. QB changes are huge risk/reward propositions and hard to project. To hit at QB, you need 1 right guy, 2 right HC, OC, scheme, 3 good players around him to help development, 4 injury luck, in particular not getting injured during the learning process. We've mostly seen downside of QB development with the Texans, but that doesn't mean that is the only option. Just means that it is hard to project one way or another without knowing more details and actually seeing performance on the field. Picking high increases the chances of finding a guy who hits but we all know that it isn't a lock.

4. Some of the core players for the Texans are aging/declining/may be departing. Some players projected to be core players haven't produced yet--do they produce with better coaching. more experience? Don't know. Wade has had success with the DT, OLB position in other places. Not so much here other than moving JJ inside. Very few players having great years.

So in sum, I don't think we know enough now to be optimistic. (I wasn't terribly happy with some of the content of the presser--too much unprofessional Jerrah Bob, over-optimistic talk that suggests he's learned nothing from this experience). You'd think that even a below average team would have better turnover luck than the Texans did this year, and all that regression to mean blah blah stuff, but with the transition to whatever is the new coaching, who knows if it is a positive result or not until we see it.

Some teams turn it around right away. Some teams slog around for a long time with broken ways of doing things.

From what I can tell (no linkage) more teams than not don't use that chart (floated around the internet for years now) at all and that nego. trade for RGIII being close was happenstance. other words, I don't think a good measure when evaluating trades any more.

From what I can tell (also no linkage) teams stopped using the chart for the top of the draft when the salaries got ridiculous but now that the contracts are held to something reasonable for the top of the 1st round it is back in use again. Not saying anyone is using it as a bible as it was always meant as a guide.

Texans have to roll the dice because I don't see why a team would trade for our pick. I'd rather roll the dice on Teddy because it's incredibly hard to succeed in this league with mediocre QB play. Teddy isn't surrounded with talent like McCarron. He doesn't heave it up for grabs to a security blanket like Manziel is with Mike Evans. He works with a pretty bad OL and hardly any NFL WR talent. I don't think Clowney along side of Watt would be a game changing pick. The Chiefs have a crazy good defensive line, but I highly doubt Alex Smith would get them to the big dance.

Tough choice for the GM.

we aint going no were has long has rick smith is here

how do u think the new coach will feel don't u think he will want his own GM

Hyping up Teddy like he is a can't miss franchise QB prospect.

IMO, he absolutely is a "can't miss, franchise QB".

I have no doubts about it.

Keep in mind I wanted us to draft Russell Wilson in the 1st round 2 years ago. I may not be a professional scout, but I put a lot of time in evaluating college QB's because I NEVER believed in Schaub.

I love the measurables with Clowney dont get me wrong. 6'6/250 4.4 speed. Even with all that he has played to avoid injury this year and other than that hit from last year hasnt really done anything of note. Physical freak, but then come out character flaws that drive me nuts, in particular his affinity to ride with his entourage everywhere which just screams "strip club shooting" in the near future if true.

If defense is the path then go Barr, he's only to going to get better considering he's new to the position. Pass rushers will always make you look good if they pan out.

I'm also on the Teddy B fan brigade. I mean Jameis Winston is an ideal guy also, I can go to the 'he had a rough start to the game tonight' card and try to mount an arugment, but no need ... i know he's that good, but do a search and the first things you'll read are 'not enough evidence' on a rape charge. Not having enough evidence doesnt automatically mean innocent either, thats all im saying. So while Teddy B may not be considered true blue chip, I know what I see. He doesnt have Winstons Oline or WR's ... he's under duress ALOT, natural talent. Maybe not as athletic as Winston, but hes smart on the field and to me that translates more to the cerebral nature of the position at the next level vs just relying on pure athletic ability.

OR, trade down and make a smart move for a change, at some point in time Rick Smith is going to need to make some risky move/high reward type of moves and no draft would be better than this one. I'd be okay with a top rated Lineman and Johnny Football if for anything the pure pandemonium that would break out, the marketing orgy that would ensue and the epic QB battle in the offseason between he and Keenum.

LOL, man im watching SC and they are running the Winston interview ... OMG im even more sure that Teddy B is the guy. Winston does not seem that bright to me at all. Yikes "and higher, and higher and higher" LOL

The last word of that post should be McCarron.

What do you think the chances to get a team to overpay for Bridgewater like they did for Manning would be?

The last word of that post should be McCarron.

What do you think the chances to get a team to overpay for Bridgewater like they did for Manning would be?

When teams trade down because there is a franchise qb available, it's because they are usually set at the qb position.

for example, the st. louis rams. they made the trade with washington because they were confident that they had the franchise qb in sam bradford.

if the texans are fortunate enough to have 1.1, we are in no position to trade down because we have no franchise qb. yes, we have other holes. but, in this day & age of the nfl, you do not build a successful team around a DL, OL, WR, etc... You do so around a QB. Having an epic DL with an average qb will get us no further than we have already been.

You take the franchise qb, and you don't look back.

When teams trade down because there is a franchise qb available, it's because they are usually set at the qb position.

for example, the st. louis rams. they made the trade with washington because they were confident that they had the franchise qb in sam bradford.

if the texans are fortunate enough to have 1.1, we are in no position to trade down because we have no franchise qb. yes, we have other holes. but, in this day & age of the nfl, you do not build a successful team around a DL, OL, WR, etc... You do so around a QB. Having an epic DL with an average qb will get us no further than we have already been.

You take the franchise qb, and you don't look back.

If you consider Teddy to be a franchise QB.

Next yr off of the top of my head I can name 5 QB's I like as much or more than Bridgewater. This yr is a deep class it's time to build the trenches and create the depth the roster has always lacked. Get the QB in 2015. It wont cost as much as you think to trade up and get one of these guys. I worry about Rick picking the players for the Texans. I've been underwhelmed by his performance thus far.

1. Winston
2. Hogan
3.Petty
4. Hundley
5. Mariota

Just the Texans luck to pick first in a deep qb draft but no real franchise QBs, while next year is looking better with at least one franchise qb and similar depth.

Back