Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Graham's got this!(Garrett)

EVOLVIST

Kid A
I'm surprised there's less talk about Garrett Graham with the possible loss of Joel Dreesen. After all, this is what Graham's been groomed for, and he'll be only 26 years old when the season starts.

With Dreesen almost certainly moving on, that leaves the Texans with less TEs then they are used to, but adding one late in the draft should cure that.

Otherwise, Graham has got this. Really.

At 6'3" and 241lbs he's a OD clone, and that's why he was drafted, not to mention the fact that he had a better collegiate career than Daniels...both Badgers, of course.

OD - 62 receptions, 852 yards, 8 TDs - 3 years
GG - 121 receptions, 1492 yards, 16 TDs - 3 years

When Graham was drafted remember the talk about Kubiak consulting OD on drafting Graham? I think they were only half joking, but the thing OD said, which has been confirmed by team mates is that Garrett has really good hands. Though Graham has not seen a lot of NFL action, he's looked really good in pre-season - exceptional even, in that I believe he caught everything thrown to him. His sole regular season pass was a 24 yard reception, having been used primarily as a blocker in 13 games with the Texans. He's a solid blocker.

I hope this kid is chomping at the bit, because we're sure to see a lot of him next season.

This is interesting: Garrett Graham on Kevin Zeitler way back in 09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4aENWbAcX0&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL1E49F75B7C8CA22F

Last edited:
He or Casey could step in for Dreesen and the offense would not miss a beat. Graham certainly has talent catching the ball, I was at the game where he got open for a long pass, he's quick. And since he played for Wisconsin I'm guessing he knows a thing or two about run blocking. Daniels, Graham and Casey on the field at the same time. Unlimited safety valve potential lol...Nobody should ever get sacked.

I remember what Kubiak said about Graham and him consulting with OD, it's been very disappointing that a guy Kubiak thinks so highly of can't get on the field. Was Kubiak pumping sunshine up our ass? I'm thinking we will lose Dreesen to FA and hopefully promote Graham so that he get's some significant playing time and experience. I can see Graham being OD's replacement at this time next year if he plays well and no injuries with the possibility of losing OD to salary cap issues. I eagerly await seeing what Graham can do if given the chance.

I remember what Kubiak said about Graham and him consulting with OD, it's been very disappointing that a guy Kubiak thinks so highly of can't get on the field. Was Kubiak pumping sunshine up our ass? I'm thinking we will lose Dreesen to FA and hopefully promote Graham so that he get's some significant playing time and experience. I can see Graham being OD's replacement at this time next year if he plays well and no injuries with the possibility of losing OD to salary cap issues. I eagerly await seeing what Graham can do if given the chance.

I think it had more to do with the depth we had at TE for the last couple of years. At one time remember we had OD, Dreesen, Hill, Casey & Graham. Hill saw more action at first, because he had been with the team a year longer. Yet Hill was promptly cut and Graham wasn't.

No, Graham is the real deal. He's just a victim of the pecking order. But yeah, I'm with Vinny, we really get another TE in this year's draft, but I'm with you Wolf, that depending on Graham's play, he might replace OD. Maybe.

I'm thinking James Hanna in the 6th round.

I think it had more to do with the depth we had at TE for the last couple of years. At one time remember we had OD, Dreesen, Hill, Casey & Graham. Hill saw more action at first, because he had been with the team a year longer. Yet Hill was promptly cut and Graham wasn't.

No, Graham is the real deal. He's just a victim of the pecking order. But yeah, I'm with Vinny, we really get another TE in this year's draft, but I'm with you Wolf, that depending on Graham's play, he might replace OD. Maybe.

I'm thinking James Hanna in the 6th round.

With OD's salary and Grahams potential I wouldn't mind a trade of OD like they just did with Demeco, trading the guy a year before we cut him. It seems maybe that Rick Smith is learning from Belichick.

With OD's salary and Grahams potential I wouldn't mind a trade of OD like they just did with Demeco, trading the guy a year before we cut him. It seems maybe that Rick Smith is learning from Belichick.

Buddy and I were just talking about the 2 guys we'd trade and Meco and OD were at the top of our list. Jacoby and Leinart would be the other 2 we'd release after camp.

I think Jacoby gets cut at the end of training camp as well. Kubiak will want to keep him around until he sees what he's gotten with new draft picks or the guys from last years practice squad. Jacoby is nothing more than a security blanket at this point just in case everyone sucks in training camp.

The 4 players that I could see getting cut at the end of next season or traded now due to salary issues are Demeco, OD, Cody, and Antonio Smith. Each have been here for a while, getting older and more expensive, or will be an expensive FA next year. We just traded Demeco so that only leaves 3.

I think Jacoby gets cut at the end of training camp as well. Kubiak will want to keep him around until he sees what he's gotten with new draft picks or the guys from last years practice squad. Jacoby is nothing more than a security blanket at this point just in case everyone sucks in training camp.

The 4 players that I could see getting cut at the end of next season or traded now due to salary issues are Demeco, OD, Cody, and Antonio Smith. Each have been here for a while, getting older and more expensive, or will be an expensive FA next year. We just traded Demeco so that only leaves 3.

Meco is already gone. OD, Cody, and Smith I feel will all be in a different jersey come 2013.

The guy hasn't done anything and couldn't even beat out a journeyman in Dreeson. Color me unimpressed.

The guy hasn't done anything and couldn't even beat out a journeyman in Dreeson. Color me unimpressed.

I don't think it was Graham's inability to beat out Dreesen, I think it was Kubiaks fear of young players in favor of veterans. I think trusting a youngster scares the hell out of Kubiak.

I don't think he's the answer.

I can't remember fully, but there's reasons he isn't even TE2 here. But there's nothing like losing Dreessen to change all of that in a hurry.

IF we lose Dreessen.

We'll need to hire a grief counselor for the TT message board if we trade OD. Seriously.

I don't think he's the answer.

I can't remember fully, but there's reasons he isn't even TE2 here. But there's nothing like losing Dreessen to change all of that in a hurry.

IF we lose Dreessen.

We'll need to hire a grief counselor for the TT message board if we trade OD. Seriously.

Actually I wish we would trade him now.

I was very high on Graham coming out of college. I was thrilled when we selected him.

I don't see it as a negative that he couldn't beat out Daniels and Dreesen immediately. For some reason it seems like the board likes to dog Dreesen but it's not like he is a scrub. He had twice as many receiving TDs as anyone else on the team last season. Sure, he isn't the greatest athlete but he gets the job done.

I was very high on Graham coming out of college. I was thrilled when we selected him.

I don't see it as a negative that he couldn't beat out Daniels and Dreesen immediately. For some reason it seems like the board likes to dog Dreesen but it's not like he is a scrub. He had twice as many receiving TDs as anyone else on the team last season. Sure, he isn't the greatest athlete but he gets the job done.

Agree with all of this. I was very high on him as well when he came out and was ecstatic when we drafted him. Kid can play and it looks like this year he'll finally get to show it.

I'd be all for trading OD now if we could get something decent for him. I'd take a 3rd round pick.

I'm not for trading Daniels... He's one player actually worth what he's making now... He was clutch in key situations last year... I don't mean he caught good balls like he was supposed to, he turned a few trash passes into first downs.. he's a big threat..

I want OD here in this offense...

I think you guys have the wrong picture for how the offense works. Kukiak system has two tight ends. One is a more run-oriented tight end such as Mark Bruenner and Joel Dressen. The other tight end is more receiving oriented like Owen Daniels. Each tight participates in the other area, that is run-oriented tight end catches and pass-oriented tight end receives. However, each has a specialty.

Having said that, Garrett Graham is a receiving-oriented tight end. If he had stepped up, then OD would be expendable. As such, he is currently a backup if OD goes down. I believe if Dreesen is signed by another team (which I do not expect), then the run-oriented starter is not currently on the roster.

Casey is a possibility. As a player, he gives the team a lot of flexibility. I think he is likely to remain FB and that they would look some where else to replace Dreesen.

I still believe that Dreesen in a Texans uniform is the most likely outcome.

I think you guys have the wrong picture for how the offense works. Kukiak system has two tight ends. One is a more run-oriented tight end such as Mark Bruenner and Joel Dressen. The other tight end is more receiving oriented like Owen Daniels. Each tight participates in the other area, that is run-oriented tight end catches and pass-oriented tight end receives. However, each has a specialty.

Having said that, Garrett Graham is a receiving-oriented tight end. If he had stepped up, then OD would be expendable. As such, he is currently a backup if OD goes down. I believe if Dreesen is signed by another team (which I do not expect), then the run-oriented starter is not currently on the roster.

Where are you getting this from?

Huh???

Kubiak inherited Bruener in 2006. Sure he stuck around for two years under Kubiak but Owen was drafted that same year.

Is Dreessen a better blocker than OD? Sure, but that's not why Dreessen sees the field exclusively. This just in, Kubiak likes versatile TE's. OD, Dreessen, James Casey and :thinking: *ahem* Shannon Sharpe types. I'm not sure about Graham, simply because I haven't seen enough of him, but at the same time I'm sure he fits the same mold.

With Dreessen interviewing in Bengals, he would still be interviewing for a backup job. The Bengals' TE Jermaine Gresham had a very good year for them.......and they have always run single TE formations.

Since going to the Bengals would:

A) not be to enjoy a nonchaotic atmosphere

B) not be for a starting position

C) not be to be in a high-powered offense

Then the only reason he would sign would be for significantly more money........which he may not be offered for a backup position.

He has been a very "clutch" player for the Texans. My guess is that the Texans will probably be given the chance to match a Bengals offer. Now whether they can or not...............

Here is one example of an article talking about Texans liking both a running and a blocking tight end in two TE formation sets with a touch of history to go with it. I'm sure I could dip back to even Kubiak's days with the Broncos to show it further.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-tex...tervention-on-this-texans-tight-end-addiction

The person who wrote that used to post here quite frequently...I wouldn't take that article as gospel even though I'm sure there's some good information in it.

I didn't read the article, but I skimmed over it and I didn't see any quotes from the team saying this.

Dreesen is a decent blocker and so is OD, but where they help this team the most is with their pass catching.

The only big run blocking type of TE that I can remember us drafting was Hill and he's no longer with the team...

Casey, OD, and Grahm are all more pass catcher than run blockers, though I wouldn't say they are bad at run blocking...

Yeah, there was really only one Graham on the field tonight against the Saints, and it wasn't that * cough * kicker, and his name wasn't Jimmy, either.

4 catches for 97 yards.

In fact, this TE by the name of Garrett Graham is the Texans' leading pre-season reciever.

7 catches, 141 yards, 20.1 yards average.

That's not average.

I was never worried about Graham in the passing game.

That said, let's see him catch some ball in the regular season.

Jimmy-Graham-GIF.gif

Oh wait, wrong Graham.

GGraham was pretty impressive today. He'll probably be like Joel where most defenses doesn't cover him and he'll end up hurting them. This will pretty much be his first season since he hasn't played much the last two year. Watch out for him.

Jimmy-Graham-GIF.gif

Oh wait, wrong Graham.

Illegal touching, anyways.

Agree. But I watched him in the blocking scheme and saw him seemingly weak and sometimes almost lost.

I'll go back and watch him.
Our TEs lost out on the block from time to time (including Dreessen) and I know I complaint about OD a few years back as well.

Blocking wasn't Graham's forte out of college, but it wasn't a weakness, either.

He was getting WIDE open last night. Definitely has the hands to replace Dreesen and even rumbled down the field too. Trade off is blocking but I think with reps he'll be a competent blocker.

That dudes a beast.

Yep. I want one. We all sort of joke about Kubiak taking a bunch of TEs early on, but I would love for the team to get a Gates/Graham/VDavis type of TE - a thick, tall, fast, leaping TE that can box out and go get the ball in the air.

/drool

Back