Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Good Character Players

I can only speak of the Texas players because that is who I know best.

I agree with them about Orakpo. I would bet money that he has the most outstanding work ethic in this class.

Quan Cosby volunteers a lot of his time to community service. He has helped organize numerous events for underprivileged children in the area.

I agree with them about Orakpo. I would bet money that he has the most outstanding work ethic in this class.

Quan Cosby volunteers a lot of his time to community service. He has helped organize numerous events for underprivileged children in the area.

Plus Cosby is older and already has a family so he shouldn't be a guy that will be getting arrested and in trouble.

a good example of a team overestimating character is David Carr. By year 3 he had shown that he didn't make good decisions, was a poor leader and had questionable work ethic when it came to doing extra work but the Texans extended him mostly because he was such a good guy.

a good example of a team overestimating character is David Carr. By year 3 he had shown that he didn't make good decisions, was a poor leader and had questionable work ethic when it came to doing extra work but the Texans extended him mostly because he was such a good guy.

I guess there are multiple aspects of "character" - the article mentioned the factors as being: "...maturity, work ethic, intelligence, citizenship, coachability, responsibility, trustworthiness, accountability, leadership and overall intangibles." While Carr might have done well in some of those, he was not "high character" in others.

For someone who was almost the inverse of Carr, you have Michael Irvin, who lacked in most non-football areas, but excelled in areas such as work ethic. Clearly no one would label Irvin as a "high character" guy, but yet overall, considering all of these aspects, he might come out closer to Carr.

At least hes not a too muscular waist bender who has tight ankles. :P

I guess there are multiple aspects of "character" - the article mentioned the factors as being: "...maturity, work ethic, intelligence, citizenship, coachability, responsibility, trustworthiness, accountability, leadership and overall intangibles." While Carr might have done well in some of those, he was not "high character" in others.

For someone who was almost the inverse of Carr, you have Michael Irvin, who lacked in most non-football areas, but excelled in areas such as work ethic. Clearly no one would label Irvin as a "high character" guy, but yet overall, considering all of these aspects, he might come out closer to Carr.

Some teams make a distiction between football character and the other stuff. Irvin was very high on football character, while Carr was below average. Especially at QB, football is not a 9 to 5 job, where you do no more than you have to do and then show up on Sunday.

Well, from my tree....you keep getting up after 149 times....you can knock him about a lot of things....character isn't one of them. The guys got it by the buckets full.

Before I knew he was a workout warror....and an exceptional NFL prospect....the first thing I noticed about Orakpo was how much he effected every one else on the defense. When he was in the game they just got fired up. When he wasn't in because he was injured....they weren't the same defense. The guy leads by his example. He elevates everyone around him. Sounds corny. But that's the way I read it.

Well, from my tree....you keep getting up after 149 times....you can knock him about a lot of things....character isn't one of them. The guys got it by the buckets full.
well duh, that's kinda my point. The Texans overvalued his off the field character to the detriment of the team.

Back