Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Giving Carr a chance to succeed...and dumping him if he can't

joedinkle

Waterboy
Yes, I know, it's been 5 years now. And he's had 5 years to succeed. But the one thing we have not done is build up the O-line. I say this not as a Carr lover or hater, but as a fact. Yes, we drafted Spener, but Ronnie had his way with him, and that is that. So here is what I propose. Build up the O-line 2 of the first three rounds, and take a QB(Kolb?) in the other. From what I understand, Kolb could go anywhere from late in the 1st to somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd. This way we kill 3 birds with one stone. We've built up our O-line. We've taken away all of Carr's excuses if he continues to underperform. And we have a viable back up QB to take David's place if he can't get the job done. Thoughts?

Edit: and as far as our troubles in the secondary, that could be handled through FA/trades.

I posted this one another board, but I think it fits here

Just dumping Carr is more of a quandry than many people think. While I can be quoted for about two season back on that I think that Carr is just another guy, in all probability if Carr gets released/traded or whatever the Texans will ended up with another average veteran QB with different warts. Whether Kubiak can cover those things better than he does with David will be the multi-million dollar question. The answer, which many don't want to hear maybe that nothing better is available. Then the Texans will have figure out if they want a rookie to develop and let some stop gap veteran/Sage play for a year or two. Not as easy as we know that Carr is mediocore, and lets just move on to the next one.

I think the only viable option for another QB would be a veteran (ala Brad Johnson or Jon Kitna) who could manage the game and try not to screw up, or a later round rookie QB. We cant afford to use one of first 3 picks on a quarterback when we have such deficiences at Oline, CB, saftey and linebacker.

You're severly mistaken if you think we can solve all of our secondary problems thru FA and trades . . .

I don't. And I don't think we can solve all of our O-line problems in 1 draft. But between getting members of the D-Line back off of IR, Mario Developing, and them getting more pressure on the QB, that coupled with a proven Free Saftey, I think we will be on our way. Basicly what I'm saying is we need to get the offenisve side of the game handled SOON. The O-line has been a monkey on our back for too long.

I just think he needs to really step it up these last four games to even be considered as our #1 QB next season.

Kubiak is'nt going to settle for these lack luster performances much longer.
He did'nt allow it with the other players and I don't think Carr will get a free pass either.

If he really blows it I would'nt be surprised to see Griese or Plummer here next year.

I want to see Carr behind a descent O-Line as much as the next guy......but it's starting to look like the face of our franchise may be damaged goods.

I'm gonna stick by whomever Kubiak puts behind center though!!!

Go Texans!!!:texflag:

I think the only viable option for another QB would be a veteran (ala Brad Johnson or Jon Kitna) who could manage the game and try not to screw up, or a later round rookie QB. We cant afford to use one of first 3 picks on a quarterback when we have such deficiences at Oline, CB, saftey and linebacker.

I agree 100%. Despite having reservations about Carr, I don't think he's the problem here. I think he can fit well into what Kubiak's putting together if the other parts gel properly, and those other parts are where I see all the FA / draft / trade action going.

I've been a Carr guy until recently. Ever since the first Tennessee game I started to doubt whether or not this guy can take us to the playoffs and win. He keeps making the same mistakes over and over again and at some point you can't take anymore. I know the offensive line is a patch work and we have a very inconsistent running game. The play calling at times has been questionable, sometimes we're going side to side instead of going ahead. Anyway, I think there is also another question we have to think about with David Carr. Let's say for arguments sake that these last 4 games Carr and the Texans perform miserably, do you guys think DC will want to stay another season in Houston? At some point he too is going to get tired of playing in a city that dislikes him (understatement) so much and playing behind a below average o-line. At some point if things keep going badly he might just not have the desire or fire to give it his all for us. Not saying DC is that type of a guy but you have to admit that this is an issue to think about. On the other hand if does play relatively well and wins two or three more games this season, will your opinion change? For me it still won't make that much of a difference other than the fact that we need some serious competition next year for the starting qb job here in Houston.

I just think he needs to really step it up these last four games to even be considered as our #1 QB next season.

He did'nt allow it with the other players and I don't think Carr will get a free pass either.

If he really blows it I would'nt be surprised to see Griese or Plummer here next year.

I want to see Carr behind a descent O-Line as much as the next guy......but it's starting to look like the face of our franchise may be damaged goods.

I have to agree with this 100%. As someone else stated, I am not a Carr lover or hater, but I do believe in giving the guy a chance, ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that the O-line is way less than mediocre. As far as whether or not we see Griese or Plummer...I guess I would rather see Plummer. Griese didn't do that well under Kubes when he was in Denver, and I highly doubt that would change should he find his way to Houston. But I do have my doubts about Plummer too...

But I will back (to a degree) whomever they feel will be the most productive behind the center.

Carr wont be the guy here. Everyone seems to be given the O-line a pass. He has had no run game even with Dominick Davis who has never really played a full season, and DONT YOU DARE mention AJ dropping passes and other people fumbling in KEY situations.

Carr wont be the guy here because the somewhat average O-line he started out with is now about as bad as the O-line he started with as a rookie. Its gone from maybe average to BAD, and he will pay, and the media who likes to sit in VYs lap, and the Carr haters wont settle for the truth, everything will be Carrs fault (even a defensive play will be his fault).

At the beginning of the season after drafting 2 OL's, I thought we were on our way. Too many injuries to them killed any hope, but we STILL saw some improvement with Carr. If we had a dang running back that gave us a legit running game, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Draft a RB with 1st pick if 1 of 2 are there, if not, best player available to help us now...

We need a running game, pure and simple and the passing game will fall right into place... This is just my opinion...

The point was the line. With 3 starters out, nicks elsewhere, no talent, and a patchwork fix in the unit... can he really have the platform to step it up?

The Titans are fairly weak in the sack department. This will be an interesting game in that sense.

Yes, I know, it's been 5 years now. And he's had 5 years to succeed. But the one thing we have not done is build up the O-line. I say this not as a Carr lover or hater, but as a fact. Yes, we drafted Spener, but Ronnie had his way with him, and that is that. So here is what I propose. Build up the O-line 2 of the first three rounds, and take a QB(Kolb?) in the other. From what I understand, Kolb could go anywhere from late in the 1st to somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd. This way we kill 3 birds with one stone. We've built up our O-line. We've taken away all of Carr's excuses if he continues to underperform. And we have a viable back up QB to take David's place if he can't get the job done. Thoughts?

Edit: and as far as our troubles in the secondary, that could be handled through FA/trades.

no.. that would be killing 3 birds with 3 stones:cowboy1:

I wont lie, I am a Carr supporter. But I wholly agree that his problems are directly connected to the line protecting him. Our whole team has just deteriorated since the beginning of the season. You can't expect him to be the one guy that can give us wins. Its funny how we started off the season great, in terms of offense, for a time Carr held the best passer rating in the NFL, and our defense was terrible. Now we have reversed, as our defense is improved, and our offense blows. I don't know man, I just hope we get some balance.

The point was the line. With 3 starters out, nicks elsewhere, no talent, and a patchwork fix in the unit... can he really have the platform to step it up?

The Titans are fairly weak in the sack department. This will be an interesting game in that sense.

I am fully aware that our O-line sucks. Last week was a perfect example of that.

But there have been many QBs that have had patch work O-lines through out the years and been able to overcome, and get Wins. Carr seldom shows that he can overcome obstacles Ex. Lack of running game/Blocking......and still lead his team to a win.

That quality is what makes great QBs and I think he may have been smashed into the ground a few many times to be great.

Hopefully we can field a quality O-line next season and Kubiak will have him looking respectable again. The line we have now will indeed make it hard for Carr to show the fans he's worthy of wearing steel blue.

But like I said earlier he still needs to step it up and prove his worth in these last 4 games!!! Bad O-line or not!!!

If that means managing a mistake free game and not throwing any Tds or 300 yds and 3 Tds so be it. As long as we get those Ws its all good!!!

I want to see Carr behind a decent O-Line as much as the next guy......but it's starting to look like the face of our franchise may be damaged goods.

Pretty much sums it up.

icon17.gif

I say we give Carr another 5 yrs. It's still too early.

Man i hope this doesnt turn into a minor leagues for bronco cast offs.....im starting the kevin kolb for texan qb bus...who wants to ride???

I am fully aware that our O-line sucks. Last week was a perfect example of that.

But there have been many QBs that have had patch work O-lines through out the years and been able to overcome, and get Wins. Carr seldom shows that he can overcome obstacles Ex. Lack of running game/Blocking......and still lead his team to a win.

That quality is what makes great QBs and I think he may have been smashed into the ground a few many times to be great.

Hopefully we can field a quality O-line next season and Kubiak will have him looking respectable again. The line we have now will indeed make it hard for Carr to show the fans he's worthy of wearing steel blue.

But like I said earlier he still needs to step it up and prove his worth in these last 4 games!!! Bad O-line or not!!!

If that means managing a mistake free game and not throwing any Tds or 300 yds and 3 Tds so be it. As long as we get those Ws its all good!!!

Not really....look at all the Carr bashing after the W in Oakland.

:coffee:

Jeff Fisher on Carr
Yes, he’s been sacked a few of times but there’s been some injuries on the offensive line and I just think there would be a lot of teams who would have interest in David because of what he’s capable of doing and I just think they need to understand they need to be patient. The running game’s getting going, and when you can run the football it makes the quarterback play better. The defense, obviously, is sixth or seventh in the league over the last seven weeks and really come on. The quarterback play is really a by part of the people around him and if everybody continues to carry their load David will pull out of whatever the perceived slump their in.”
I am a big Jeff Fisher fan, the guy knows his football.

Carr is going to be the QB for the remainder of his contract.

Who is going to replace him?

There is going to be a lot movement with QB's this off-season and I suspect the Texans will stick with the Devil they know.

As much as I don't like the idea, I think we are stuck for the time being with Carr unless they find a gem in the draft.

This is pretty much what I've posted in other threads. Go after Samuels or Clements in FA. Draft Thomas, Baker, or Long in the 1st round. Draft a C in the 2nd round and get Kolb in the 3rd. If you don't think Kolb will be there in the 3rd, then get him in the 2nd and get the C in the 3rd. Don't know what Kubes will do (he usually surprises) as far as the QB situation because it's too early to tell, but I do think he will go after O-line early. JMHO!

How many nfl teams have kept a failing qb for 5 years? Name one team that has kept a crappy qb for more than 2 seasons? Any other team would have benched carr after 2 seasons. I would say 1 if he wasn't a rookie.

We are becoming a joke of the nfl. You can say what u want about the O-line but we had the same O line last year as we did in '04 when we went 7-9.

Did anyone hear what he was saying after the horrible game he had at oakland? He laffed about it. How many good qbs would laff about that?

David carr is a joke. He needs to be benched. Give someone else a chance. His 5 years of "he'll get better" up. That's as good as he is gonna get.

Andre johnson makes him look good cuz andre will make some amazing catches. That's it.

I hope carr get boo'd on sunday and everyone cheer for vince.

If david carr starts for the texans next year, texans will lose a lot of fans.

How many nfl teams have kept a failing qb for 5 years? Name one team that has kept a crappy qb for more than 2 seasons? Any other team would have benched carr after 2 seasons. I would say 1 if he wasn't a rookie.

We are becoming a joke of the nfl. You can say what u want about the O-line but we had the same O line last year as we did in '04 when we went 7-9.Did anyone hear what he was saying after the horrible game he had at oakland? He laffed about it. How many good qbs would laff about that?

David carr is a joke. He needs to be benched. Give someone else a chance. His 5 years of "he'll get better" up. That's as good as he is gonna get.

Andre johnson makes him look good cuz andre will make some amazing catches. That's it.

I hope carr get boo'd on sunday and everyone cheer for vince.

If david carr starts for the texans next year, texans will lose a lot of fans.

The fact of the matter is, we just resigned the guy. I don't know about DC's remainder. But it'd be a whole lot of love from Mr. McNair to eat that contract for us. He loves us no doubt. But sixteen million is a lot of love. You gonna help ?

Same line ? We started with a rookie at OLT...who was progressing very well. But he wasn't on the '04 roster. Now...we've got A grey beard at OLT..a banged up grey beard btw, A rook at right tackle and a second year fifth rounder at center. I mean you can trow rocks all you want. And it may well be they've lost DC mentally and will never be able to get him back. But don't post that the support he's recieved from the club makes all things equal. It doesn't. One year we draft two promising prospects to cover for the four we took that didn't pan out. I mean com'on. You wanna bang on DC. Continue the therepy. Just don't pi$$ on my boot and tell me it's raining. They waisted the guy plain and simple.

Just thought I would be one to offer some support for him, and hope he plays well, so.................................We can get a win! I could care less about the sideline spectacle of Carr Vs. Young, and the fact that our "sometimes" fans will come in orange or baby blue, and boo when our QB is introduced. Maybe we all should feel the same way!:mario3:

The Texans definitely shouldn't draft Brady Quinn but I don't see why we shouldn't take a shot on Troy Smith in the 2nd round.

Given that, Carr just isn't a winner. People say that missed field goals etc at the end of games have kept him from having 3 or 4 more wins this year but in my opinion if we didn't have Carr at QB we wouldn't have to worry about tha tin the first place. We'd have a bigger lead. His fumbling problems make the games almost unbearable to watch. I know he's a good guy and I wish him all the best, just not getting the job done though.

Bus fare? Hell he'd need a car carrier to haul off various luxury sleds I've seen him bumping around in. Bus fare - that was funny.

Seriously though - I too hope he and the rest of the team plays at the rare high level we've seen a couple of times this year and we punk those Tacks

They are my team and I will support them! I will "boo" poor performance but, not my team! Especially while they are on the field of battle against a conference foe.

I am a fan of the Houston Texans and they are the team I'll support!

I wonder if Nashville would line up in Jay Cutler jerseys when he comes to town? After all, he's a hometown hero to these hillbillies!

Or (if LA had a team, which we beat out for the Texans) would they "cheer" on Leinart (Cards) or even LenDale from the Titanics!? Maybe even the "golden boy" (with golden shoes!) Reggie, from the Saint?

In the words of Ozzie Gullen, "Pffft, please"

YEEEAH! GET EM DAVE!

I expect good things from my team as much as the next guy, but the anti dave crowd is so lame and childish that I found that cheering for David is the best way to hurt them! (it's really the only reason I signed up)

That being said....DAVID CARR OWNS YOU!

I wanted to compile a list of areas in which David Carr owns VY. But the list is too long to post, it ranges from sandwich making all the way down to Street Fighter (if David can be Ryu). VY stayed close, except in scrabble (That was just a vicious beatdown).

And this weekend Dave will own him on the field.:bananasplit:

At the beginning of the season after drafting 2 OL's, I thought we were on our way. Too many injuries to them killed any hope, but we STILL saw some improvement with Carr. If we had a dang running back that gave us a legit running game, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Draft a RB with 1st pick if 1 of 2 are there, if not, best player available to help us now...

We need a running game, pure and simple and the passing game will fall right into place... This is just my opinion...

Dude, we had the second most rushing yards in franchise history against buffalor and the offense still only scored 14 points. The only thing we had against oakland was a running game. Our 3-5 yard passes are = to a running game. It's not about our running game anymore, it's about the inability of our qb to throw the ball downfield and stretch the field.

Back