Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gary Kubiak & Rick Smith given extensions

No, they shouldn't. Whether an extension was a great idea or deserved or not, ALL THREE did fantastic jobs in 2011.

Enough of this nonsense.

No, they shouldn't. Whether an extension was a great idea or deserved or not, ALL THREE did fantastic jobs in 2011.

Enough of this nonsense.

So without Wade drafting Watt, and Reed and the team signing Joseph and Manning, and then doing a crash implementation of the 3-4 ... we make the playoffs?

Ditka tell him! ........... C'mon man!

So without Wade drafting Watt, and Reed and the team signing Joseph and Manning, and then doing a crash implementation of the 3-4 ... we make the playoffs?

So Rick Smith gets NO credit for the draft or free agent acquisitions?
No credit for bringing in Antonio Smiff, either? What does a general
manager do, by-the-way?

I suppose Wade drafted and coached up Duane Brown to a pro bowl LT or saw something in Arian Foster when the rest of the league didn't or saw something in Chris Myers when his old team (and most of us) did not or coached up a 5th-rd, rookie QB (that most of us non-draftniks hadn't heard of) sufficiently well enough to lead this franchise to it's first and only playoff win. Yeah... that was ALLLL Wade.:thinking:

Everyone earned their keep last season. You take Wade's defense without Kubiak's offense and we have last year's 5-11 Jaguars. ...if we do that well considering the offensive players we lost during the year...

So Rick Smith gets NO credit for the draft or free agent acquisitions?
No credit for bringing in Antonio Smiff, either? What does a general
manager do, by-the-way?

I am only talking specifically about last year, which is the only legitimate year this franchise has ever had. Rick does deserve credit for the moves he made that were positive before Wade arrived. But until Wade arrived, we were not a contender.

I suppose Wade drafted and coached up Duane Brown to a pro bowl LT or saw something in Arian Foster when the rest of the league didn't or saw something in Chris Myers when his old team (and most of us) did not or coached up a 5th-rd, rookie QB (that most of us non-draftniks hadn't heard of) sufficiently well enough to lead this franchise to it's first and only playoff win. Yeah... that was ALLLL Wade.:thinking:

Everyone earned their keep last season. You take Wade's defense without Kubiak's offense and we have last year's 5-11 Jaguars. ...if we do that well considering the offensive players we lost during the year...

I agree, as I told Dex I was simply referencing last year, which is the only really good year the franchise has had. Wade was the difference. All credit should be given to Gary and Rick on the positive contributions they have made, but without Wade it was just another failed year last year.

Agreed and repped.

Extensions well deserved.

Is Kubiak giving Wade 50% of his new contract?

While this extension isn't unexpected, taking only 3 years instead of 4 is fishy. For a coach who doesn't have a winning record, he seems to either be hedging his bets, thinking the next couple of years of assumed success are going to lead to a bigger payday.

Or, the conspiracy is, he's just getting paid until he makes the jump back to the Broncos.

Either way, I don't think Kubiak is as good as he thinks he is, or as good as Elway thinks he is. We'll see how things shake out over the next 10 years or so with his career. I think he's a perennial 8-8 coach without someone like Wade to prop him up.

Sorry to be Negative Nancy here, but he hasn't proven anything of much weight to me during his stay here. He's been blessed with top 10 talent at key skill positions. I'll give him the zone blocking scheme though...he's made me a believer that it can work...but I still don't believe you can throw any RB back there and they'll be a 1000 yard back each year.

Either way, I don't think Kubiak is as good as he thinks he is, or as good as Elway thinks he is. We'll see how things shake out over the next 10 years or so with his career. I think he's a perennial 8-8 coach without someone like Wade to prop him up.

That's my feelings as well. I'm sure we can get worse head coaches, because we already have. But there are much better head coaches out there. I have faith this team will be a good one with BOTH Kubiak and Wade calling the shots. I don't really want Wade as head coach, because he hasn't proven himself there anymore that Kubiak has. But togeather, they are very good. Take someone out of the picture, and it begins to fall apart.

That's my feelings as well. I'm sure we can get worse head coaches, because we already have. But there are much better head coaches out there. I have faith this team will be a good one with BOTH Kubiak and Wade calling the shots. I don't really want Wade as head coach, because he hasn't proven himself there anymore that Kubiak has. But togeather, they are very good. Take someone out of the picture, and it begins to fall apart.

I certainly do not disagree with your takes here, but just wanted to mention that the better head coaches out there are locked up with other teams.

So what we have to choose from are either untested coordinators or HC retreads that nobody wants around here.

If it's either Kubiak or the available choices, I'll take Kubiak and go with what we know and hope for some consistent continuity from last season.

(And before Cowher's name comes up, I do not think he wants to get back into coaching given the fact that he has turned down every interview offer from a variety of teams.)

I certainly do not disagree with your takes here, but just wanted to mention that the better head coaches out there are locked up with other teams.

So what we have to choose from are either untested coordinators or HC retreads that nobody wants around here.

If it's either Kubiak or the available choices, I'll take Kubiak and go with what we know and hope for some consistent continuity from last season.

(And before Cowher's name comes up, I do not think he wants to get back into coaching given the fact that he has turned down every interview offer from a variety of teams.)

I'm for keeping Gary.

But better HC's include

Cowher
Gruden
Billick

HC's that have accomplished 10 win seasons in the last 3 yrs that have been fired

Fisher
Haley
Morris
Wade

Gary and Rick can thank Wade Phillips for helping to keep their jobs and now for this extension. Good lord, what a joke. One winning season out of six?? (THe Pats laid down for the Texans so I hardly count that 9-7 season that was the worst coaching season from Kubiak in his entire tenure here.) Not surprised though. 47-49 equals winning in Bob's world as long as he is selling tickets in one of the best football markets in the country. Bob should have waited for at least one more winning season out of Smithiak before extending these guys.

Gary and Rick can thank Wade Phillips for helping to keep their jobs and now for this extension. Good lord, what a joke. One winning season out of six?? (THe Pats laid down for the Texans so I hardly count that 9-7 season that was the worst coaching season from Kubiak in his entire tenure here.) Not surprised though. 47-49 equals winning in Bob's world as long as he is selling tickets in one of the best football markets in the country. Bob should have waited for at least one more winning season out of Smithiak before extending these guys.

Damn Tex, you're getting slow! :kitten:

:D

Hang in there man, they're getting it. Granted it's taken a while but I think McNair's patience paid off and I thought it would.

Smith's put some good drafts together, with input of coarse. Kubiak seems like a different coach to me this year. Some have sensed this as well while others say not so much. Guess we'll see what happens in camp.

I guess I just wanna be excited about this season. Go Texans!

:D

Hang in there man, they're getting it. Granted it's taken a while but I think McNair's patience paid off and I thought it would.

How close are the Browns?

That's really the only team the Texans can be compared to, considering the rules they came in with & the competition already established.

Our first ten years vs theirs, which would you rather have? At least it looks like we've built something of substance in that time. They're rebuilding again & if the wipe the slate clean at the end of this season, they still have zip to build on & they had a 4 year head-start.

How close are the Browns?

That's really the only team the Texans can be compared to, considering the rules they came in with & the competition already established.

Our first ten years vs theirs, which would you rather have? At least it looks like we've built something of substance in that time. They're rebuilding again & if the wipe the slate clean at the end of this season, they still have zip to build on & they had a 4 year head-start.

I know what you are saying...really I do, but it just strikes me as funny that after all this ...what we can say is.... "At least we are better than the Browns"... Wow! That right there is high praise I'll tell ya... LOL

Why are people acting like Kubiak's extension is apart of the salary cap or is even worrisome if he doesn't perform? Nobody cares about how much or how long coaches are paid for because as soon as they don't perform they can be out on their butts with no monetary ramifications to the salary cap.

Whether Bob does this or not is something else, but Bob McNair's unhealthy obsession with Kubiak is certainly not as high on the list of things I am concerned about the Texas as WR depth, or the right side of the O-line.

Why are people acting like Kubiak's extension is apart of the salary cap or is even worrisome if he doesn't perform? Nobody cares about how much or how long coaches are paid for because as soon as they don't perform they can be out on their butts with no monetary ramifications to the salary cap.

Whether Bob does this or not is something else, but Bob McNair's unhealthy obsession with Kubiak is certainly not as high on the list of things I am concerned about the Texas as WR depth, or the right side of the O-line.

The right side of the OL will be OK.

The WR corps is a reason for worry. IMHO

I know what you are saying...really I do, but it just strikes me as funny that after all this ...what we can say is.... "At least we are better than the Browns"... Wow! That right there is high praise I'll tell ya... LOL

Gotta start somewhere. If we had a similar talent pool that the Jags & Panthers had when they came into the league, then it would have been feasible to compete with the best teams early.

But we didn't. & while I'm no Kubiak fan some people are blaming him for the first 4 years.

I have no problem with Gary getting an extension.. offense wasn't a problem it was Gary wanting Frank Bush and Richard Smith on the defensive side. I know that was who Gary thought that would get the job done, but we know how that turned out...

I have no problem with Gary getting an extension.. offense wasn't a problem it was Gary wanting Frank Bush and Richard Smith on the defensive side. I know that was who Gary thought that would get the job done, but we know how that turned out...
Man, I wanted Bush too. Really liked his attitude and the way he played. Was I ever mistaken -- dude couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. :headhurts:

Back