Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Garrett to stay in Dallas

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Dallas head coach Wade Phillips has been informed that Jason Garrett will turn down head coaching opportunities with the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens and remain as the offensive coordinator for the Cowboys, sources told ESPN's Ed Werder.

A source credits owner Jerry Jones with convincing Garrett to remain in Dallas: "This is huge because changing systems right now would have been really tough on Tony [Romo]."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3200822

YES!!I'm assuming he is getting a little below head coach money now and was promised a future offer. I also think Baltimore and Atlanta were not popular options due to offensive limitations.

According to the article, Baltimore was only offering a little under 3 mill.

It is believed the Ravens formally offered Garrett their head coach job, at a salary of less than $3 million annually

I assume he'll be treated with a substantial raise for staying in Dallas.

My question is: Is he really worth all this attention?

I wonder what Wade will do, or if this will cause some friction in the locker room/coach meetings.

Why? Garrett is good and I would think he deserves the salary offered and it shouldn't have anything to do with Wade's salary package. It could be a situation that Garrett is being groomed to take the HC position when Wade retires, or as a good OC building on that to move into an HC position that he would not inherit the coaching problems that he would have faced had he accepted the position at either Atlanta or Baltimore.

I'm not an authority on his Garretts qualifications, but from a business standpoint, this has to be a very awkward situation for Little Bum.

I'm sure cowboys fans will put a positive spin on all of this, but it is just unconventional IMO.

I'm not an authority on his Garretts qualifications, but from a business standpoint, this has to be a very awkward situation for Little Bum.

I'm sure cowboys fans will put a positive spin on all of this, but it is just unconventional IMO.

Why would it be awkward, seriously. My comments were not meant as a spin, rather an understanding how the two salaries could be close. Over the years I have worked in situations where certain executives had higher salaries than their manager. A lot of components went in to how, and why, and no one appeared to resent it.

Wade Phillips is a babysitter. Parcells built that team, but the primadonna ego-maniacs on the team couldn't handle his personality. Now Phillips tucks them into bed every night, reads them a story, and tells them how stupendously wonderful they all are before giving them a little kiss on the forehead and pulling the sheets up under their chins. Changing T.O.'s diaper must be quite a task.

I wonder what Wade will do, or if this will cause some friction in the locker room/coach meetings.

Why? Garrett is good and I would think he deserves the salary offered and it shouldn't have anything to do with Wade's salary package. It could be a situation that Garrett is being groomed to take the HC position when Wade retires, or as a good OC building on that to move into an HC position that he would not inherit the coaching problems that he would have faced had he accepted the position at either Atlanta or Baltimore.

He had a great start but started to slow down in the last month of the season. For the record, I do think he is a good coach, but I think everyone jumps the gun on coordinators after one year. I think it will cause some distractions because it's pretty much a shoe in that Garrett will take over the Cowboys in the future and Wade will be out. People will be calling for his head if the Cowboys don't start strong and the media circus will once again begin.

Why would it be awkward, seriously. My comments were not meant as a spin, rather an understanding how the two salaries could be close. Over the years I have worked in situations where certain executives had higher salaries than their manager. A lot of components went in to how, and why, and no one appeared to resent it.

Sorry but you do understand Wade has to look over his shoulder every day and see Garrett waiting for him to slip just enough that he gets fired and Garrett is promoted but if you think that is not awkward then fine but the rest of the world understand how things work.

Seriously, if an employee is paid more than a manager (in the business world) he will have less respect for the manager because he would know who is worth more to the company.

Watch your back, Wade!

Here's to the Cowboys having winning seasons but choking out early in the playoffs under Phillips. I like him, but can't root for his team. But if he's winning, ol' wrinkle skin won't be able to fire him without looking like a doofus. The first losing season, though, and Wade will be looking for employment elsewhere.

Was Garrett really that good with the Dolphins? It's a risky move by Garrett since hot candidates always come up and your chance may be passed up. Jerry might instead to opt for the next hotshot. Gregg Williams at WSH was given a super high salary and a wink wink to be the next head coach. Let's see if he gets that.

Jerry has always been a huge Garrett fan...that did not begin this year.

I think Wade is secure enough as a person to handle it...he has said that he wanted somebody to handle the offense exclusively and that's what Jason does so it's really status quo...nothing changes.

And he's been a coach for so many years that if he's looking over his shoulder and worrying about what other coaches are doing he's really quite naive. That's a turnstile profession if there ever was one.

simply a great move by Jones no matter how you slice it. he gets his cake and eats it too.

coaching is the big equalizer in the NFL and you can have all the talent in the world but if your coaching sucks, you wont win in this league. You can have mediocre talent and if your coaching is good, you can still get things done (see Jacksonville)

its all about the coaching

Jerry has always been a huge Garrett fan...that did not begin this year.

I think Wade is secure enough as a person to handle it...he has said that he wanted somebody to handle the offense exclusively and that's what Jason does so it's really status quo...nothing changes.

And he's been a coach for so many years that if he's looking over his shoulder and worrying about what other coaches are doing he's really quite naive. That's a turnstile profession if there ever was one.

This is true. And considering that his former HC in San Diego was fired after a winning season, he knows it's just part of the business.

I just want anarchy in the FO of our northern neighbor, that's all. ;)

This is true. And considering that his former HC in San Diego was fired after a winning season, he knows it's just part of the business.

I just want anarchy in the FO of our northern neighbor, that's all. ;)

Ha! Well I have confidence that Wade is a secure man and knows the ways of coaching..having done it for so long. In the simplest of terms I think he has a bunch of good ole common sense and knows that Jerry has every intention of one day giving his job to Jason.

Jason was hired BEFORE Wade if I remember right. Wade didn't even get to pick his own OC. So he knows the way this is all gonna pan out.

And I am hearing the Cowboys are going to be hiring Hudson Houck to replace Sparano. Rehire I should say. He's been there before.

Watch your back, Wade!

The first losing season, though, and Wade will be looking for employment elsewhere.

It won't take a losing season. If they don't win a play-off game next year, Wade is gone. Heck, they'd have to win the Super Bowl for Wade to continue on.

It won't take a losing season. If they don't win a play-off game next year, Wade is gone. Heck, they'd have to win the Super Bowl for Wade to continue on.

i gotta agree. Jones wants some momentum going into his new fangled stadium. I would actually go after Cowher over Garrett and something tells me that is what Jones ends up doing. Some people say Bill wants the Panthers job but he would accept the Cowboys job over the Panthers job anyday.

Cowher going into the new building is a good move and probably what will happen.

ya resign the guy who totaly abandoned your running game in the 4th quarter and helped presure romo who eventually blew it. way to go, ohhh and give him 3 million while your at it.....

Fire Phillips NOW!!!

We can use a defensive coordinator... Of course we would have to go back to the 3-4, but we could go to the Oilers 3-4 (see Curly Culp, Evin Bethea, Robert Brazile et al) rather than Fangio / Caper's lame version.

ya resign the guy who totaly abandoned your running game in the 4th quarter and helped presure romo who eventually blew it. way to go, ohhh and give him 3 million while your at it.....

3 million is pocket change to Jerry. And Garrett is obviously not just prized as a hot commodity by the Cowboys but by others in the league..he's been a great addition.

Hardly his fault that the Giants just played better than the Cowboys....they are pros as well and were the better team that day. Period.

Garrett is young and knows the game well and is still learning. his potential is limitless. call Jerry Jones whatever you want, but he isn't stupid. he sees the talent.

Back