Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 16...This is It...Tennessee Titans!!!

Davenport and Giacomini were your tackles for a full year - Deshaun didnt break his leg. Deshuan tore his knee up on an original play vs Seattle where the RB missed a block (as usual for this team) and he completed the tear in practice - im sure you remember.

My first football coach would tell me that the guys who get hurt are the guys who arent going 100% all the time on the field. I tend to agree with him, and dont pay as much attention to the "load management" that other guys would like to employ.

This team (particularly the offensive unit) does not deserve any games off, they have looked like a steaming pile of horseshit for a month now, and they need every opportunity to head into the playoffs on a positive note.
Sounds more like a coach giving his players a admirable good ole pep talk. Not something I would base on any medical facts. I doubt that anyone would question Watt as to his effort. Yet he has missed more than half of the games in the last 4 years.

tenor.gif

edit: and on second glance that Ravens team had actually lost 4/5 games to end the season!!

13December 2Pittsburgh SteelersL 20–239–3M&T Bank StadiumRecap
14December 9at Washington RedskinsL 28–31 (OT)9–4FedExFieldRecap
15December 16Denver BroncosL 17–349–5M&T Bank StadiumRecap
16December 23New York GiantsW 33–1410–5M&T Bank StadiumRecap
17December 30at Cincinnati BengalsL 17–2310–6Paul Brown StadiumRecap
Note: Intra-division opponents are in bold text.

and then they went on to run the table in the playoffs with incredible play by a guy named Jacoby Jones.

It was the Giants who caught fire in the 2nd half of the season. They won the SB by defeating the 16-0 Patriots.

I'm still not certain why everyone's excited about the playoffs. I guess getting there is nice, but never going anywhere once you get there is old.

Excited isn't the right word, I think its more that the season will last at least one week longer and stave off the traditional dead off season boredom for a little longer.

Sounds more like a coach giving his players a admirable good ole pep talk. Not something I would base on any medical facts. I doubt that anyone would question Watt as to his effort. Yet he has missed more than half of the games in the last 4 years.

Surely. Using Watt as the indicator for who or when gets injured isnt the best baseline, but its the topic at hand. I'd just as soon say Watt is breaking down because he's old, so in this particular example I can see where you're coming from.

For a young football player going half ass on a football field is usually where the injuries start.

The last time we came off a bi the entire team came out lethargic and uninspired. The result was a nasty beat down from the Ravens on our home field. Yeah let’s treat this game as a bi and rest our key guys.

Last edited:
The last time we came off a buy the entire team came out lethargic and uninspired. The result was a nasty beat down from the Ravens on our home field. Yeah let’s treat this game as a bi and rest our key guys.

And the last time we came off a big win we got beat down by a team that had no business scoring that many points and we made a rookie QB, not even a high drafted one, that had like 2 games under his belt look like Patrick Mahomes. Yeah lets build on that momentum.

That's what sucks about being a fan of this team, if they get a bye you don't know if they are going to crap the bed the next game and if they get a big win you don't know if they are going to crap the bed the next game. Even on the other side they go up against a team that by all rights should destroy or at least beat them and they look like a SB winning team. Its like a crazy girlfriend that you know you should dump because otherwise you might end up on the news as a "Man killed by his girlfriend with a...." story but just when you think you are ready, she has a good day and its so awesome you forgot why you wanted to dump her.

The last time we came off a bi the entire team came out lethargic and uninspired. The result was a nasty beat down from the Ravens on our home field. Yeah let’s treat this game as a bi and rest our key guys.
Actually, we played the Ravens to a standstill for over a quarter, and the team seemed to fold after an egregious PI miss. It wasn't at home either, it was in Baltimore, where the Texans have never won.

Actually, we played the Ravens to a standstill for over a quarter, and the team seemed to fold after an egregious PI miss. It wasn't at home either, it was in Baltimore, where the Texans have never won.

Good catch. And to that point, it shows the mental capacity of this team. One bad call should not define the rest of the game like that.

KC loses at noon, OB has to play for the three seed. You have to get every advantage possible.
I think that if BOTH the Steelers and Tacks lose, Steelers get the last spot on tiebreakers.

Much rather play Duck than Allan.

But first things first. OB has to get these guys coming out with some pep in the step this playoff game. To me, it always feels like these guys are shaking off a hangover the first 7 or 8 minutes of the game.

Duke has got to be involved WAY more in the passing game. Get the run game out in the edges more. This pound it up the middle for no gain or a yard is old and stale.

Hopefully McKinney will be back and healthy. The defense will have to turn the fied around with a turnover. Allan might be susceptible to a pick trying to do too much. If it’s 3rd and 16, get off the damn field!! Don’t let them convert those, those are killers.

For real! While I am still more concerned about the offense I hate feeling uneasy everytime the opposing team has 3rd and long. DBs giving hella cushion and a free first down. RAC needs to stop calling those schemes.

I get wanting to have some momentum heading into the playoffs, but I don't see this team suddenly clicking in week 17. I say rest your key players.

Offense:
Dress Watson, Tunsil, and Hopkins but only as reserves. Hyde, Fuller, and Stills need to set this one out. Run mostly 12 personnel packages and let the young WRs play.

Defense:
Give McKinney, Martin, and Reid's shoulder the night off.

The Chiefs are likely to win they're earlier game, which makes a win against the Titans meaningless. In fact, I would argue it's better to let the Titans win as much as it pains me to say it. Unlike the Steelers, the Titans as the 4 seed have a legitimate chance of upsetting the Chiefs in the wildcard game. If they did and if we beat the Bill's, then we would travel to New England and not Baltimore for the divisional round. A lot of "ifs" I know but stranger things have happened. Either way, no sane Texans fan would have any confidence in New England or Baltimore. I really just don't want to be embarrassed again in round 1.

But first things first. OB has to get these guys coming out with some pep in the step this playoff game.

I agree.

I think BO'b should be approaching this game as if he's got an opportunity to win the three seed. Nobody in that building should be thinking they're not going to play substantial minutes.

By 3:30 pm Sunday, they'll know if there's a chance or not, but not before. At that time, if KC wins, then he should tell the team the goal is to put together a scoring drive to open the game. Do that & we may sit some of the starters... on offense.

Defense needs the whole game. Those guys haven't played much together.

Texans didn't play the Ravens @ home

Agreed about you can't play scared. It's why I want them going full tilt if the 3 seed is still alive. But there's a difference in not playing scared and having lesser talent on the field increasing the risk of injury. At the end of the day, regardless of who's on the schedule next week, the Texans have no shot if #4 is not on the field. In that sense, this game Sunday doesn't mean much.

Yeah, I want the 3 seed, and I want them playing to get it. But if a bunch of guys with nagging injuries are just going to sit out and get a little healthier for the playoffs, then I don't think I want to see Watson out there risking it with lesser talent on the field.

The Titans are going to be playing balls to the wall. They control their own destiny and I'm sure they don't want to leave it up to somebody else having to lose to make the playoffs. If the Texans aren't out there with that same intensity, that increases injury risk too.

I don't think 1 more game is going to make much difference in any continuity, tempo or whatever. This late in the season though, when everyone is banged up, I do think the rest would be more beneficial. Worried about the Texans looking rusty if they rest? Hell, they do that at the start of every damn game they play.

Let’s just plunge the dagger into the Titans 2019 season ... and twist. They HAVE to win. Why take it easy on them and with our luck it turns out to be that same team that knocks us out. No thanks. If you can eliminate a division rival you do it ... especially this one.

Dec 30, 2018
Remember last year BO'b had Watson start the game with the C3p0 offense? Couldn't move the ball.

Then he sprinkled some Clemson O in there & Jacksonville's defense turned into hot butter.

Then we go back to the C3p0 offense for the WC game?

Ah... memories.

Listen to the wife?

Didn't think y'all did that in Possum Holler.

I'm some place much worse than Tennessee (or Texas lol)...Southern California.
If I don't listen to the wife the thought police will come lock me up!

Best weather around.
Worse traffic, taxes, laws, utility bills, neighbors, prices, politicians, and the list goes on and on.
Can't wait to leave.

What have you heard?

Watson has a bad back and has been limited in practice.

Watson said today he has no idea if he will play Sunday.

William FullerWR--Did Not Participate In Practice--
Benardrick McKinneyLB--Full Participation in Practice--
Jahleel AddaeS--Limited Participation in Practice--
DeAndre HopkinsWR--Limited Participation in Practice--
Jacob MartinLB--Limited Participation in Practice--
Brennan ScarlettLB--Limited Participation in Practice--
Kenneth StillsWR--Limited Participation in Practice--
Laremy TunsilT--Limited Participation in Practice--
Derrick WatsonQB--Limited Participation in Practice

Considering the preseason predictions of most, perhaps they're disappointed?

I know there was a lot of doom and gloom in the preseason …. some were predicting as few as 4 wins mainly based upon the OL woes

I definitely didn't think they were a finished product but they have so much talent on offense …. they should score a ton of points.

My expectations haven't been met tho … they lost three games to teams they should beat and I expected a top 2 seed which they had a chance to grab twice and let it slip away both times and the offense has been poor to middling more often than not (4 solid games out of 15).

The defense has exceeded my expectations for the most part , especially when you factor in all the injuries.
That offense makes me want to kick puppies.

I know there was a lot of doom and gloom in the preseason …. some were predicting as few as 4 wins mainly based upon the OL woes

I definitely didn't think they were a finished product but they have so much talent on offense …. they should score a ton of points.

My expectations haven't been met tho … they lost three games to teams they should beat and I expected a top 2 seed which they had a chance to grab twice and let it slip away both times and the offense has been poor to middling more often than not (4 solid games out of 15).

The defense has exceeded my expectations for the most part , especially when you factor in all the injuries.

I would agree the defense has overachieved with Watt being out and having no pass rush and all the injuries and new faces at CB.

The offense has some good but still too many games where I have no idea what they are doing.

I dunno about you but if Tunsil doesn't play , I don't want Watson playing behind Clark and Co.
If KC wins , I think you have to rest anyone who has even a minor injury - get healthy at the right time and you can do some damage.

Play the backup to the backup …. assuming KC wins.

If they crap the bed .… its another indictment against OB and maybe , just maybe …. Cal decides to move on.

Yeah , apparently Fairbairn found his mojo …. he's been good of late.

I've always thought he has potential to be one of the better kickers in the league.

It wasn't that long ago that Fairbairn was the highest scoring player in the league. Now that says more about OB's offense than it does really Fairbairn but still it shows he's not a bum. He's doing pretty good then they change holders and it all goes to crap, maybe the two are connected. Even the whole stitches facing a certain way, I know someone posted a long breakdown of why that doesn't matter but if it matters to the kicker, even if its just mental, then yeah it does matter.

It wasn't that long ago that Fairbairn was the highest scoring player in the league. Now that says more about OB's offense than it does really Fairbairn but still it shows he's not a bum. He's doing pretty good then they change holders and it all goes to crap, maybe the two are connected. Even the whole stitches facing a certain way, I know someone posted a long breakdown of why that doesn't matter but if it matters to the kicker, even if its just mental, then yeah it does matter.

I was gonna mention OB messing with his holder …. but you cant keep a guy just as a holder.

Trevor Daniel was not doing his primary job well enough and that decision had to be made.

I was gonna mention OB messing with his holder …. but you cant keep a guy just as a holder.

Trevor Daniel was not doing his primary job well enough and that decision had to be made.

Very true but when you have to kick as many FG as we do maybe get the replacement in place and let the kicker start working with him and getting on the same page before you replace him.

Your expectations must have been really low from the start if they’ve exceeded those expectations with this bottom 5-10 defense.

Yeah, and it only took ALL of camp, then cutting Anger and keeping Daniel, then reversing that after 1 game, for the coaching staff to figure it out.

another heavy dose of derrick henry is not good for our defense trying to stay healthy … jus saying

If KC wins, rest everyone of importance that you can. If KC loses, then I'm fine with playing aggressive to try to get the 3rd seed. I'll be disappointed though if I see the starters playing the entire game if the Chiefs have already won.

Reactions: ROO
The Texans could bring in a QB before Sunday's matchup with Titans

54 minutes ago

With quarterback Deshaun Watson questionable with a back issue for Sunday’s season-ending bout with the Tennessee Titans, the Houston Texans may have to find a new quarterback to backup A.J. McCarron on Sunday, if Watson does not play.

The two primary options for Houston are practice squad passer Alex McGough and undrafted Mississippi State quarterback Nick Fitzgerald.

McGough, in his second season in the NFL, has not taken a snap with the Texans. He signed with them after Aug. 31’s cut-down day with the hopes of eventually earning a shot as Watson’s backup. The Florida International product has bounced between the practice squad and active roster throughout the season.

McGough is currently on the practice squad. He is a favorite of well-respected Texans quarterback coach Carl Smith, who previously coached him in the Pacific Northwest after the Seattle Seahawks drafted him in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

“He came in and we worked with him for a week and he did some good things and we’ll see how it goes here,” Texans coach Bill O’Brien said on McGough after promoting him to the active roster in Week 2. “We’ll see how it goes. Good guy, smart guy, and just want to get him some more reps and see how it goes.”

Fitzgerald worked out with the Texans earlier in the week but went unsigned. An undrafted rookie of Mississippi State, he started for three years in the SEC, replacing Dak Prescott. In 44 career games, he recorded 6,207 passing yards, 55 touchdowns and 30 interceptions on a 54.2% completion rate.

Despite his background as a passer, however, many see Fitzgerald as a better option at tight end.
“Fitzgerald has struggled as a passer throughout his career, but the athletic ability he brings to the table is something special,” said Crissy Froyd, managing editor of the LSU Tigers Wire, who has studied SEC quarterbacks.

“A position change may be what’s best for him in the future, but he hasn’t really been given a true chance to show what he can do at the NFL.”

Either McGough or Fitzgerald would act as McCarron’s backup in the case that Watson doesn’t play in a potentially meaningless game. Being that McGough is on the practice squad, he is the likelier candidate to get the backup nod.

Normally I'd argue for the status quo, or shift the blame around.

But Anger has been balling. Hate to see you go Trevor, but bye

Your expectations must have been really low from the start if they’ve exceeded those expectations with this bottom 5-10 defense.

Yeah, and it only took ALL of camp, then cutting Anger and keeping Daniel, then reversing that after 1 game, for the coaching staff to figure it out.

No , I didn't expect the defense to be lights out …. just good enough to make a stop when its needed and for the most part , they have held up their end of the deal. The only games they really sucked was Denver and Baltimore in which they played really well thru the first quarter - then the wheels fell off.

They have been very good against the run all year.

Consider the injuries to Watt and the fact that they were picking up DB's and plugging them in after a couple practices , its hard to complain much.

@CWTexansFan

You hit the Unlike button on that post …. and didn't comment.

What is it you don't like or disagree with ?

Were my expectations too high ?

Did they not let a top 2 seed slip thru their fingers twice - once in losing to Baltimore and again to Denver ?

Or is it that the offense makes me want to kick puppies ? You think the offense has played to their potential in more than 4 of 15 games ?

Do you think the defense should be better considering all the injuries and personnel changes ?

I hit the angry button for this post. Not because of anything you said, but you referenced the unlike button in another post referring to this post.

I didn't know we had an unlike button. Didn't know we had an angry button.

On my phone the buttons look like they did before the upgrade & if I tap it, it works just like it did before the upgrade, with a like.

But if I hold it for a second a little menu pops up with all kinds of options.

Cool.

I hit the angry button for this post. Not because of anything you said, but you referenced the unlike button in another post referring to this post.

I didn't know we had an unlike button. Didn't know we had an angry button.

On my phone the buttons look like they did before the upgrade & if I tap it, it works just like it did before the upgrade, with a like.

But if I hold it for a second a little menu pops up with all kinds of options.

Cool.

Lots of cool features with the new server … Big thanks to @Hookem Horns

I didn't care that he unliked it , he's entitled to his opinion…. I just wanted to know why.

@CWTexansFan

You hit the Unlike button on that post …. and didn't comment.

What is it you don't like or disagree with ?

Were my expectations too high ?

Did they not let a top 2 seed slip thru their fingers twice - once in losing to Baltimore and again to Denver ?

Or is it that the offense makes me want to kick puppies ? You think the offense has played to their potential in more than 4 of 15 games ?

Do you think the defense should be better considering all the injuries and personnel changes ?

Hes unliked a few of mine to. Pretty much just the negative ones though. No worries

Let’s just plunge the dagger into the Titans 2019 season ... and twist. They HAVE to win. Why take it easy on them and with our luck it turns out to be that same team that knocks us out. No thanks. If you can eliminate a division rival you do it ... especially this one.

Good morning from Nashville.

The Titans are a 4 point favorite in this game since no one in Vegas believes that the Texans are playing their most valuable starters. Otherwise the Texans would be a 4 point favorite.

The Titans won’t have Adoree Jackson (again, ankle) or Khalif Raymond (concussion) who was jacked up in an horrible no call against the Saints which ended a comeback drive at the end of the game. And Adam Humphries is still out with an ankle injury.

Yes the Titans must win since backing into the playoffs is fraught with peril. Derrick Henry is back and hopefully will have his top gear available. Most of the other major players are available.

With a Titans win, it’s very possible that we may do this all over again. And that will truly be for all the marbles.

Good morning from Nashville.

The Titans are a 4 point favorite in this game since no one in Vegas believes that the Texans are playing their most valuable starters. Otherwise the Texans would be a 4 point favorite.

The Titans won’t have Adoree Jackson (again, ankle) or Khalif Raymond (concussion) who was jacked up in an horrible no call against the Saints which ended a comeback drive at the end of the game. And Adam Humphries is still out with an ankle injury.

Yes the Titans must win since backing into the playoffs is fraught with peril. Derrick Henry is back and hopefully will have his top gear available. Most of the other major players are available.

With a Titans win, it’s very possible that we may do this all over again. And that will truly be for all the marbles.

I dont think the sharps are betting on HOU resting players as much as they are betting on the 'caged animal' in Tennessee. Yall have a very good team.

IF KC loses we would be playing for the 3 seed. I'd much rather play a Buff/Pitt/Oak team then a 3rd matchup with you guys and Im fairly certain OBrien is going to play his guys at least one half of football. This team does not deserve to have time off especially the offensive unit they have looked like crap for about a month now. Texans are beat up too - Watson, Tunsil,Hopkins, Stills, Fuller, McKinney, Jacob Martin (only pass rush threat) , Bradley Roby - not sure who would get the day off on offense other than Mr. Glass - Will Fuller.

I can only hope that Houston regains some offensive continuity and looks like a playoff team. Not many fans are left inspired with the wins lately (crazy huh) and even less with Bill OBrien managing a do or die game. We did get word that JJ Watt was going to come back early from his pectoral tear, so that has been a breath of fresh air, not sure if he's getting reps this week or not, and then how effective he could really be, but im hoping he has a little magic for one more run.

Should be fun good luck!

Back