Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Future of the Texans depends on this draft!

Zac

Noob
It happens way too often that teams don't set the foundation for success. Team like to pick the "Poster Kid".

Teams go out and pick the most talented player without a solid foundation around him to suceed.

The NFL is the ultimate team sport. And it all starts off the ball on both sides of the line (a.k.a. "the trenches" - the worst of cliches in the NFL).

For 4 years the Texans have not been able to put pressure on the opposing quarterback. And for 4 years the Texans have the total number of sacks in the entire NFL. Setting the record already.

Part of the problem was the Coaching staff. Part of the problem was the youth. And the talent was not all there.

Knowing this, do the Texans say that Weaver and the switch to 4-3 will make all the difference in the world? Or is Mario the key to a better defense (he will to a team in the NFL).

Or do the Texans have all the ingredients on the offensive line? There they have Pitt who everyone says is an ideal Guard. Imagine Moving Pitt to right guard and putting D'Brick right in there. That's a solid line.

If the Texans mess up they will be one of those perenial bottom dwellers!!

Bush is good, but is the House in order?

I'd say it is. If the former HC was still in charge, I'd be less inclined to see them select Bush, because I'd have no confidence that he could get full value out of that pick. That's not the case with Kubiak. The moves in free agency have also been a step forward. The future of the Texans, IMO, depended on getting competent leadership. The draft is secondary.

The future doesn't ever rest on one draft...Worst case senario, were talking about Peterson or Quinn this time next year.

Frills said:
The future doesn't ever rest on one draft...Worst case senario, were talking about Peterson or Quinn this time next year.

Oh no. I can't think about another season like this past one. Besides, I don't want another one of these offseasons. Amazingly enough, I like the steady teams that only make a couple key acquisitions and pick in the 28-32 range in the draft. (unless we sucker someone out of the early pick the year before and get two firsts)

Texans86 said:
I like the steady teams that only make a couple key acquisitions and pick in the 28-32 range in the draft.

Would be nice to be a team that constantly makes the conference championship game. Those teams are at that level not due to their 1st round picks but rather their 3-7th round picks.

The Texans have been decent with picks in the first round, where they have been ignorant is their 2nd round and 2nd day picks. The trade for the Babin pick was ignorant, not because of Babin's preformance, but with how much depth we gave up in the picks.

Hyperbole
Main Entry: hy·per·bo·le
Function: noun
Pronunciation: hī-'p&r-b&-(")le
Etymology: Latin, from Greek hyperbole excess, hyperbole, hyperbola, from hyperballein to exceed, from hyper- + ballein to throw -- more at DEVIL
: extravagant exaggeration (as "mile-high ice-cream cones")
- hy·per·bo·list/-list/ noun

The future of the Texans is better now than ever!

:cool:

Chill out Zac, this draft isn't the making or breaking of the Texans, it probably isn't even the making or breaking of this season. The way the team takes to the new systems is far more critical to this seasons success.

Frills said:
Would be nice to be a team that constantly makes the conference championship game. Those teams are at that level not due to their 1st round picks but rather their 3-7th round picks.

The Texans have been decent with picks in the first round, where they have been ignorant is their 2nd round and 2nd day picks. The trade for the Babin pick was ignorant, not because of Babin's preformance, but with how much depth we gave up in the picks.

dont under emphasize the importance of first rounders, but i completely agree that it takes more that a couple top 10 guys to carry a team. the steelers are my favorite example because they draft smart, and build their team entirely through the draft ... they arent lacking depth at any position. that, and having only 3 losing seasons over the last 14 years kinda helps make the case.

05 - heath miller (TE - 30), bryant mcfadden (CB -62), trai essex (OT - 93)
04 - big ben (QB - 11), ricardo colclough (CB - 38), max starks (OT - 75)
03 - polamalu (SS - 16), alonzo jackson (OLB - 59), ...
02 - kendall simmons (OG - 30), randle el (WR - 62), chris hope (FS - 94)
01 - casey hampton (DT - 19), kendrell bell (OLB - 39), ....
00 - plaxico burress (WR - 8), marvell smith (T - 38), kendrick clancy (DT - 72), hank poteat (CB - 77)

that folks, is good drafting, and it's leaving out older guys like faneca, ward, porter, haggins, bettis, kreider, etc. what they've done is what all coaches say ... they've kept their players, and built from there. not many that go into pittsburgh ever come out and that's why they can be so successful drafting. the whole dang team is above average, but have almost noone who would be considered top tier at their position ... faneca being the only one i can think of.

you guys will be great in 2 years. take bush and you got one of the most explosive and exciting offenses in the league. address o-line and defense in the later rounds and in next year's draft/free agency.

Back