Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

From KFFL

TEXANS84

Staff member
Looks pretty much like everything we knew, except for cornerback missing:

Texans | Targeting an OT? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:03:01 -0800

The Houston Texans may target an offensive tackle with the 13th overall selection in the 2005 NFL Draft, reports Carter Toole of HoustonTexans.com.

Texans | Targeting a DE? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:02:26 -0800

The Houston Texans may target a defensive end with the 13th overall selection in the 2005 NFL Draft, reports Carter Toole of HoustonTexans.com.

Texans | Targeting a LB? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:01:41 -0800

The Houston Texans may target a linebacker with the 13th overall selection in the 2005 NFL Draft, reports Carter Toole of HoustonTexans.com.

Texans | Targeting a WR? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:01:01 -0800

The Houston Texans may target a wide receiver with the 13th overall selection in the 2005 NFL Draft, reports Carter Toole of HoustonTexans.com.

so then it must be a CB afterall :rolleyes:

lets see OT @ #13 would have to Barron (Alex Barron, Florida State
6074 320)

DE/DT- Marcus Spears

LB- Derrick Johnson

WR- Troy Williamson

My preference would be Derrick then Marcus & Barron. after that Justin Miller

just to add- if Troy Williamson is there, several teams including the Ravens would be willing to pay a dear price to move up to get him. the 22nd pick plus next years #1 to trade down then it might make sense for the Texans to trade down and get David Baas, Michigan 6044 319.

TEXANS84 said:
Looks pretty much like everything we knew, except for cornerback missing:
KFFL is taking that article from the Texans site out of context. Here's the exact quote from Carter Toole:
The Texans pick 13th, and, since it's unlikely Houston will sacrifice picks to trade up, the uncertainty at the top makes it tough to predict who will be available come Apr. 23. Which is fine with the Texans, who can target plenty of positions on both sides of the ball, from wide receiver to linebacker, from defensive end to perhaps offensive tackle.
That was just his way of saying the Texans will look for the "best player available". As Texan fans, we know what positions aren't being considered. As NFL draft fans, we generally know who the better prospects are. We can make a guess at what positions the Texans are looking at, but they aren't going to lay that out on their web site in February. KFFL should know that.

Here's my senarios with our #13 if we draft for any one of these positions:

OL: David Baas

DL: Marcus Spears

LB: DJ

WR: not in the first

DB: I don't think so, but you can never tell

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
David Baas at #13? No thanks

Agreed, the only lineman I see the Texans taking at 13 is Barron, he is the only lineman in the draft worth a pick that high. (but then we could trade down to get extra picks and take Bass or Jaamal).

Didn't think about that one. In case we do want to go with the o-line, we go with Barron or we decide to trade down and get Baas or another OL.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
David Baas at #13? No thanks

I think everyone agrees on that. But if some 4-3 deffensive team covets a 4-3 DE we have no interest in.... Bass at the bottom of the first makes sense. We'd get to shore up some holes with the extra 2nd on defense , just a guess, makes sense to me. So does Miller streching the feild. DJ, Spears... the only things on the boards & the mocks that doen't make sense to me is Cody. I see he's up to 277. A mighty simular resemblance to Ray Childres, who played great as a pro .... in a 4-3 defense. JMHO.

Should have seen this one coming. Bad news for all the Mike Williams supporters....

Vikings | Is Williams the Answer to Replace Moss? - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:30:14 -0800

So how do the Minnesota Vikings replace WR Randy Moss once he is traded to the Oakland Raiders? Could former USC WR Mike Williams be the solution? Vikings head coach Mike Tice asked Williams how he would feel about replacing Moss in the Vikings' offense at the NFL Combine.

Texans | Eyeing a Corner With 13th Pick? - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:58:02 -0800

The Houston Texans may be looking to draft a cover corner with the 13th overall selection in the 2005 NFL Draft, reports Carter Toole of HoustonTexans.com. Houston, who selected CB Dunta Robinson in the first round last year, could be looking to stock up on the position since they are in the same division as the Indianapolis Colts.

Now you gotta laugh at the bottom part...saying that we will draft a cb just because the Colts are in our division.

I don't see us going with a CB in the first round. We need to address the needs of the offensive and defensive lines first. Don't be suprised if we wait until MAYBE round 3 or later until we draft a corner.

From Pro Football Weekly:

Citing the salary cap, general manager Charley Casserly told PFW the team is unlikely to go after a high-profile receiver in free agency. Casserly said that in the current system, teams can’t afford two No. 1-caliber wide receivers. The team has a young, up-and-coming WR corps, led by Pro Bowl performer Andre Johnson, but there was some speculation the team could target former Titans WR Derrick Mason. Casserly said the Texans will not be active in free agency one year after signing ORT Todd Wade and DE Robaire Smith to deals at the beginning of that signing period. Casserly said the team will work to sign its own free agents, including oft-injured NT Seth Payne.

wiley2002 said:
I don't see us going with a CB in the first round. We need to address the needs of the offensive and defensive lines first. Don't be suprised if we wait until MAYBE round 3 or later until we draft a corner.

Well last year a great many people thought NT and OL were greater needs than CB. Some argued TE was a greater need as well. I wouldn't be surprised at all for the Texans to view Justin Miller or another CB as the BPA and wisest choice depending on who is already off the table.

Icak is right. Smart teams generally do not pick for need in the top half of the first round. The picks make too much money to give an average player tons of money. There is more than one way to fill your needs & the draft is just one. You must get a productive player early in the draft.

Like Capers said on the video...with the first pick in the draft in the first round, you can't really target a "needs" player. Saftest pick IS the BPA in the longrun.

Back