Free Agency Grades- SI.com

handswarmer

Rookie
Houston Texans

Grade: D

Best addition: Jerrell Powe, DT
Biggest loss: Antonio Smith, DE

(Taps microphone) Is this thing on?

The Texans underachieved to an egregious degree last season. Much like the Chiefs in 2012, the talent on the roster far surpassed that of a 2-14 record. Yet, that record made this the worst team in football last season. Was a massive rebuild in order? Not yet, especially with the No. 1 pick coming. An effort to improve would have been nice, though.

Instead, all the Texans’ additions thus far have been restricted to backup (hopefully) QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, S Kendrick Lewis and DT Jerrell Powe — the latter two allowed by Kansas City to walk without much of a fight. Meanwhile, Earl Mitchell, Antonio Smith and Ben Tate are elsewhere. The Texans were not as bad in 2013 as their record indicated, but as of right now, they’re not as good on paper as they were last season.

EKxvL23.png

We got a 6th for Schaub, that was our biggest addition.

It's kind of hard to compete in free agency when you need about 7m in capspace for rookie contracts, and you only have 12m free. I'm not too worried about it, we have a bunch of dead money to burn this year, and next year we can start being truly competitive again.

I'll hazard a guess that our grade improves to a B with the Clemons signing.
OTOH, it's still too early for grades, as I said earlier, and on top of that who really cares about these grades anyway?

We got a 6th for Schaub, that was our biggest addition.

It's kind of hard to compete in free agency when you need about 7m in capspace for rookie contracts, and you only have 12m free. I'm not too worried about it, we have a bunch of dead money to burn this year, and next year we can start being truly competitive again.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing that post .... People just don't realize that they are really in poor shape cap wise this season. Take your lumps now and have $$ to spend next season.

We got a 6th for Schaub, that was our biggest addition. .

Getting anything for Schaub is a win....... I don't care if it's a 6th round pick or not. That pick could be nothing or it could be a Tom Brady (if you will)... Bottom line, it beats releasing him with NOTHING in return!!

All that said, I agree that it sucks that this trade was our biggest addition this offseason........

On a separate note: Do y'all think DeSean Jackson is a Bob McNair kinda guy??? ;)

Getting anything for Schaub is a win....... I don't care if it's a 6th round pick or not. That pick could be nothing or it could be a Tom Brady (if you will)... Bottom line, it beats releasing him with NOTHING in return!!

All that said, I agree that it sucks that this trade was our biggest addition this offseason........

On a separate note: Do y'all think DeSean Jackson is a Bob McNair kinda guy??? ;)
I'm with Corrosion as far as taking our lumps this year, getting the cap squared away and seeing who sucked the most, Gary or Rick.
Or maybe OB. Who knows?

I think DeSean Jackson could be McNair's kind of guy, but I doubt his asking price will be.

I'm with Corrosion as far as taking our lumps this year, getting the cap squared away and seeing who sucked the most, Gary or Rick.
Or maybe OB. Who knows?

I think DeSean Jackson could be McNair's kind of guy, but I doubt his asking price will be.

In what way is Jackson McNairs kind of guy? Isn't one of the reasons Philadelphia released him was because of concerns of him with gang activity?

In what way is Jackson McNairs kind of guy? Isn't one of the reasons Philadelphia released him was because of concerns of him with gang activity?
McNair has shown that he's willing to get less than squeaky clean players. Besides, my post was directed more towards the fact that it really doesn't matter what McNair thinks of Jackson, because the cap situation precludes the Texans signing him. The computer I'm using is evidently not smiley friendly, so I can't use them to make my point more clear, as I'm used to doing. I was being sarcastic.

EDIT: The gang activity thing seems to be rather vague from what I've read. Maybe Jackson is another Hernandez, but I rather doubt it. JMHO.

Until our new coaching staff combines their players from free agency and the draft into a team, how is anyone supposed to "know" what kind of grade to give them? Oh well. At long as the Texans developmental arrow is moving up on the graph (which it currently is) I'm good with it.

McNair has shown that he's willing to get less than squeaky clean players. Besides, my post was directed more towards the fact that it really doesn't matter what McNair thinks of Jackson, because the cap situation precludes the Texans signing him. The computer I'm using is evidently not smiley friendly, so I can't use them to make my point more clear, as I'm used to doing. I was being sarcastic.

EDIT: The gang activity thing seems to be rather vague from what I've read. Maybe Jackson is another Hernandez, but I rather doubt it. JMHO.

Has nothing to do with gang affiliation , guy is a jerk in the locker room, chip didn't like his attitude. End of that. He's a one trick pony with a big mouth... PASS

Your man... Pots and pans

Back