Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Foster/Tate to get 1000+ yards rushing each?

It certainly looks like they're on track to do that! How deadly will our offense be once AJ returns?

I believe that Foster and Tate are getting yards like this is due to AJ's absence. Once AJ return they will throw the ball a bit more than they are now. There's only so much possession that could go around. I'm not sure about Tate though.

Once AJ return they will throw the ball a bit more than they are now. There's only so much possession that could go around. I'm not sure about Tate though.

You are probably right and I get what you're saying but...

I would hope the Texans take what the defense gives them rather than try to appease players with a certain number of catches or carries.

AJ is on the record saying he doesn't care how many catches he gets as long as the team wins.

If the Texans identity becomes that of a power running team coupled with a stifling defense, I for one will be overjoyed.

I believe that Foster and Tate are getting yards like this is due to AJ's absence. Once AJ return they will throw the ball a bit more than they are now. There's only so much possession that could go around. I'm not sure about Tate though.

Maybe, but in the past if we've run well, we'll typically run it all day.

I have no idea how the offense will look like when AJ gets back.

But I hope that Kubiak keeps the running game going like he did when Elway and the Broncos went to the Super Bowl.

A balance attack makes it easier on everybody!

I think a couple of Foster's 30 carry games were the product of Aj being out. But once he comes back, he won't need 30 carries to pick up 100 yards.

Both Foster & Tate can break off some big runs 15 carries each & they could both be knocking on 100 yards.

Aj is going to open it up for them & make that possible.

one of the commentators said it a couple weeks ago (quotiong a randy moss coach), that a receiver like that is an almost automatic 50 yards for the runningbacks simply by being on the field. it wouldnt surprise me if our running game actually picks up when andre comes back ... which is insane with TWO backs on pace for 1200+ yards.

I think a couple of Foster's 30 carry games were the product of Aj being out. But once he comes back, he won't need 30 carries to pick up 100 yards.

Both Foster & Tate can break off some big runs 15 carries each & they could both be knocking on 100 yards.

Aj is going to open it up for them & make that possible.

this

I have no idea how the offense will look like when AJ gets back.

But I hope that Kubiak keeps the running game going like he did when Elway and the Broncos went to the Super Bowl.

A balance attack makes it easier on everybody!

In order to achieve balance, then fewer carries is required. The Texans had 40 carries compared to 23 passes. They are slightly run biased but with two backs like Foster and Tate who wouldn't be and the offense is by nature run-biased slightly.

In order to achieve balance, then fewer carries is required. The Texans had 40 carries compared to 23 passes. They are slightly run biased but with two backs like Foster and Tate who wouldn't be and the offense is by nature run-biased slightly.

I'm going to look at 313 carries vs 277 pass attempts over 9 games rather than just look at one single game.

Besides, the rushing total that we are speaking of is reflected over the course of 9 games.

Granted, this (rushing attempts) is a little more than what the Broncos had back then, but they didn't have the Foster/Tate combination either!

I'm going to look at 313 carries vs 277 pass attempts over 9 games rather than just look at one single game.

Besides, the rushing total that we are speaking of is reflected over the course of 9 games.

Granted, this is a little more than what the Broncos had back then, but they didn't have the Foster/Tate combination either!

I'm just using one game to show the impact of AJ. Ge did play this season so I didn't want those numbers mixing.

Have two backs ever rushed for 1000 yards each on a team? If that were to happen I don't know what would be more impressive, two 1000 yard backs or one back running for 2000 yards.

Winning teams have backs that get a lot of carries and yards because they're running a lot more in the 4th quarter to close out the game (and, conversely, losing teams give up a lot of rushing yards for being in the opposite situation). When AJ comes back the biggest change will probably simply be less targets for Jacoby Jones and Dreesen.

But either way, Kubiak knows he has to run the ball a certain amount (even if unsuccessful doing it) to make all the play-action and misdirection stuff work.

Have two backs ever rushed for 1000 yards each on a team? If that were to happen I don't know what would be more impressive, two 1000 yard backs or one back running for 2000 yards.

Miami: Csonka and Morris

Pittsburgh: Franco and Rocky.

Cleveland: Mack and Byner.

More recently:

Giants: Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward

Panthers: Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams

I'm just using one game to show the impact of AJ. Ge did play this season so I didn't want those numbers mixing.

I get what you're saying.
I'm just thinking what a nightmare it will be for the DCs facing us when AJ comes back.

On a different note, Terrell Davis gained 2008 yards by himself with the Broncos in 1998 (5.1 ave) when the Broncos won the Super Bowl.

He had 392 carries.

If Foster and Tate combine for 30 carries over 16 games, that would be 480 carries.

Right now, they combined for 29.22 carries a game (and neither was totally healthy for all games; Foster played in 7 and Tate played in 8.)

Foster needs to bring his average up to make it easier though, slacker, LOL!
(Or we just need to pass more on short yardage situations, LOL!)

Seriously, I think it's vey doable.
It will also benefit Schaub and AJ in the long term.

I think our chances at the playoffs AND during the playoffs completely hinge upon Foster and Tate being able to run in tandem like they have.

When that combination is hitting on all cylinders, it wears defenses down. Physically and mentally wears them down.

As they go, this team will go. And hopefully AJ is not done for the year, and he gets to play in his first ever NFL playoff game and let loose out there.

Foster and Tate is the key for us. Period.

We'll have to start lining up in a Wishbone and force the D to adjust. If it's Casey at FB you can shift all 3 of them out and go empty backfield.

Back