Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Foster admits to taking money in college

Good for Arian for just admitting what happens with star athletes in 99.9% of the major colleges in America.

Non-story ...

There was a USA Today (iirc) article awhile back that said something like only 7 college football program actually made a net profit.
That's probably true. But it doesn't take into account the role football has in generating donations from alumni. And the overall prestige of a school. If there wasn't $$$ being generated, college football wouldn't be such a big deal.

If the NCAA opens the floodgates to pay football players, I have no doubt someone will take it to court to pay ALL college athletes. And while it can be argued that football brings the revenue so those athletes should reap the rewards (beyond free school, food, housing, etc.), the same logic of Title 9 will most likely be applied to all sports.
I think you're right. Which is why the schools would probably have to make the football players (and maybe basketball players) salaried university employees in order to pay them. If that happens, there would be a huge split between the Alabamas, UTs, and Ohio States (who could make that happen), from the Rices, UHs, and SMU (who can't). Wait...there's already a large divide between these schools. Nevermind.

Lucky is right. Speaking of donations and pledges. Texas A&M just hauled in $740 million this past year. An increase of over $300 million for them. These Universities are making big money and a lot of that is partly because of the football program.

Just thinking out loud, through my fingers and keyboard, but I wonder what the $$$ amount is on merchandising. It seems like there could be a way for the athletes to get a share of those profits. It could go into a pool and be distributed equally among a schools athletes. Yes, the big time schools will generate more and their student athletes would get more, but it seems like a reasonable idea on the face of it.

I hear ya. If true, he probably just didn't want to live in a dorm.

I went to school where Arian went to school, though I was there back in the days with Reggie White. Anyway, the "jock dorm" and cafeteria was fantastic according to a couple of my wrestler friends who lived there at the time. The athletes were offered a buffet style meal, which often included lobster, prime rib, rib eye steaks, etc., and was available to all athletes whether they were on the football team or tennis team. It used to piss off the rest of us who ate the slop UT fed the rest of us students who actually were flipping the bill.

As for money on the side, I have a friend who used to play OT for Wake Forest back when the Baldinger brothers played there. He used to talk about how after the games and such the alumni would walk up and shake their hands, with $100 bills in their palms, and tell them "good game". It is not uncommon for the athletes to get a little extra cash on the side.

I had two sons that played D1 ball at different Universities and no one ever gave them a dime. Training tables were sometimes good and sometimes not good----there are no training tables out of season, Spring, Summer, Etc. The aftergame meals at both schools were always something like a Subway sandwich and a Gatoraide, maybe a small bag of chips----course you could always take two.......

I went to school where Arian went to school, though I was there back in the days with Reggie White. Anyway, the "jock dorm" and cafeteria was fantastic according to a couple of my wrestler friends who lived there at the time. The athletes were offered a buffet style meal, which often included lobster, prime rib, rib eye steaks, etc., and was available to all athletes whether they were on the football team or tennis team. It used to piss off the rest of us who ate the slop UT fed the rest of us students who actually were flipping the bill.

As for money on the side, I have a friend who used to play OT for Wake Forest back when the Baldinger brothers played there. He used to talk about how after the games and such the alumni would walk up and shake their hands, with $100 bills in their palms, and tell them "good game". It is not uncommon for the athletes to get a little extra cash on the side.

Myth: College Sports Are a Cash Cow

Only seven other athletics programs at public universities broke even or had net operating income on athletics each year from 2005-2009, according to data provided by USA Today to the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics (for which I consult).

-------------------------------

For almost every other university, sports is a money-losing proposition. Only big-time college football has a chance of generating enough net revenue to cover not only its own costs but those of “Olympic” sports like field hockey, gymnastics, and swimming. Not even men’s basketball at places like Duke University or the University of Kansas can generate enough revenue to make programs profitable.

As a result, most colleges and universities rely on what the NCAA calls “allocated revenue.” This includes direct and indirect support from general funds, student fees, and government appropriations. In other words, most colleges subsidize their athletics programs, sometimes to startling degrees.

Full story

Not sure if this info has been posted in this thread, but figured it was kinda' important to understand on this subject.

Arian was running really well to start the game yesterday. Would have loved to see him get 20 carries.

Righteous Arian wants everyone to believe he was taking money for food & rent. One thing a division 1, SEC Powerhouse, full scholarship football player doesn't need is money for food and rent. Now if they decide to leave the comforts of their dorm room to move to an off campus apartment that they cannot afford, they still don't need money for rent, they need money for STUPIDITY. They can always eat at the athletes mess hall regardless.

Not sure if this info has been posted in this thread, but figured it was kinda' important to understand on this subject.

Here's a database USA Today does showing the categories of revenues and expenses. Interesting to note that a lot programs spend a bit more in scholarships than they receive in support from the school. So while technically subsidized, they are providing a nice revenue stream right back in.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

Righteous Arian wants everyone to believe he was taking money for food & rent. One thing a division 1, SEC Powerhouse, full scholarship football player doesn't need is money for food and rent. Now if they decide to leave the comforts of their dorm room to move to an off campus apartment that they cannot afford, they still don't need money for rent, they need money for STUPIDITY. They can always eat at the athletes mess hall regardless.

At most Universities the money subtracted from your monthly scholarship for your shared dorm room is at least 50% higher than your share of rent in an off campus apartment would be.

I don't know what generation you are referring to with the "Athlete's mess hall" comment, but they don't have those anymore. Football players have a "Training Table" where they can eat one meal a day (in many schools of poor quality---mystery meat and rice) but only during football season. After football season in the late fall, training table ends---no training table in the Spring, Summer, or during holiday breaks.

I don't give a rats ass he took money in college, I just want him to start running like he used to. We got the Ravens, Seahawks, 49ers, and the surprising 3-0 Chiefs in four of our next five games. That's a tough schedule for any team.

This. And the NCAA profits billions on their backs anyhow that just gives their execs an excuse to give themselves raises.

NCAA released business statements on all their revenue streams, they aren't paying themselves millions.

Depends who you are talking about. Clearly football and basketball coaches are making large salaries with the big schools in many instances out paying the NFL. Mack Brown has a base salary of $5 mil, Kevin Sumlin $3.1 mil. But others make big salaries as well. The athletic director at UT makes $1.2 mil, at A&M just under $1 mil. Then take in the top say 20 salaries after that and your into millions also.

At most Universities the money subtracted from your monthly scholarship for your shared dorm room is at least 50% higher than your share of rent in an off campus apartment would be.

I don't know what generation you are referring to with the "Athlete's mess hall" comment, but they don't have those anymore. Football players have a "Training Table" where they can eat one meal a day (in many schools of poor quality---mystery meat and rice) but only during football season. After football season in the late fall, training table ends---no training table in the Spring, Summer, or during holiday breaks.

Even if I were of a generation of the 50s & 60s I can assure you that athlete's dining privileges have only improved over the years and any athlete at a major Div I University has no problem with access to over 4000 calories in a 14-18 hour period. Today some Major Universities also include a food debit card that can be used in University food courts. It's all part of the recruiting process.

My son went to SFA for five years and said the exact opposite. All meals throughout the day and an extremely nice dorm were standard for football players. He eventually moved to an apartment as an upperclassman, and it, too, was fully paid by scholarship.

Not sure what schools you are talking about, but if SFA - an FCS college - can provide all of that, I have little doubt that the big programs are loaded with perks and nice facilities.

And he had access to the training staff year round. I cannot imagine that SFA is leading the charge in taking care of their football players.

No way should they be able to have that kind of access to their money to be able to do stuff like this. They at least need to put restrictions on how much access athletes have to that money. but Again, the athletes put themselves in that situation.

Apart from that, Who cares what the big football powers would like...the rule would be in place to protect the kid not the university. It would also force them to get their **** together.

For instance, if your're gonna recruit kids from the hood who come from bad situations, you as the university better make damn sure you monitor them carefully and create a support system around them so that they're not putting themselves in bad situations and keeping themselves out of trouble.

And where will the money come from to pay for these "Life Coaches"? Do you think this will be free?

rains.jpg

Money? Under the table to college players? I'm shocked!

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://jaypgreene.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/casablanca-your-winnings.jpg[/IMG]

Your under the table money, Sir. Yes, thank you.

My son went to SFA for five years and said the exact opposite. All meals throughout the day and an extremely nice dorm were standard for football players. He eventually moved to an apartment as an upperclassman, and it, too, was fully paid by scholarship.

Not sure what schools you are talking about, but if SFA - an FCS college - can provide all of that, I have little doubt that the big programs are loaded with perks and nice facilities.

And he had access to the training staff year round. I cannot imagine that SFA is leading the charge in taking care of their football players.

I'm sorry I don't know where SFA is. I'm sure it's a fine school. My sons both went to FBS schools, different conferences, "full scholarships" and graduated as "5th year seniors".

You are correct when you say that the dorm or the Apt are fully covered by the scholarship, BUT the way it works is that if a kid lives off campus, his monthly scholarship check is around $950. He generally has a private room in a house or apartment----maybe a queen or kind sized bed. He pays his share of the rent, usually less than $400, and therefore saves more than $200because the University would deduct $600+ from his scholarship check to pay for the dorm. The dorm usually is a small-ish double occupancy room with two twin beds, two desk areas and two storage spaces. The walls are painted concrete block and there is one small window. There was a communal bath down the hall that was always in digusting condition. Theft would sometimes be a problem.

Furthermore, the student athlete would have to completely vacate his dorm for all extended breaks---Christmas, Spring break, the two weeks before summer school began---and move back in once school had commenced again. If the kid didn't have family in town, where was he to go? Maybe it was different at SFA?

The Athletes had one free meal a day at the training table---which would vary in quality from year to year and from school to school. Training table only occurred during football season. The rest of the meals were up to the student to pay for out of the remaining money from his check. During Spring or Summer scheduled football practice there was no training table but the school did give the players cards which would be good for one free meal a day in the student cafeteria.

Trainers were available all year, except school holidays---Christmas, Spring break, Etc.

Check with your son and see if this was not also true at SFA. I know the scholarships at D1AA schools are a little different, many schools offering only partial schollies. Maybe they make it up by giving the players better meals/accomodations?

Some excerpts from the NCAA guide book for D1 institutions. Please note that only ONE training table meal can be provided to student athletes a day, and the cost of that meal is to be deducted from the student's board allowance.

I know some posters have said that the kids eat free all day, Lobster and Steak, Etc. That actually is not true.

15.2.2.1.6 Training-Table Meals. The cost of meals provided on the institution’s training table shall be
deducted from a student-athlete’s board allowance, even if the student-athlete is not receiving a full grantin-
aid. In determining the cost figure to be deducted, the institution may use the actual meal costs listed in
the institution’s catalog or the average meal costs of its student-athletes living on campus.

Training Table Meals. An institution may provide only one training table meal per day to a student-athlete
during the academic year on those days when regular institutional dining facilities are open (see Bylaw
15.2.2.1.6). A student-athlete who does not receive institutional athletically related financial aid covering the
full cost of board, including a walk-on or partial scholarship recipient, may purchase one training table meal
per day at the same rate that the institution deducts from the board allowance of student-athletes who receive
athletically related financial aid covering board costs pursuant to Bylaw 15.2.2.1.6. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective
8/1/96, Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02, 5/8/06, 4/26/07)

g) Nutritional Supplements. An institution may provide permissible nutritional supplements to a student athlete
for the purpose of providing additional calories and electrolytes. Permissible nutritional supplements
do not contain any NCAA banned substances and are identified according to the following classes: carbohydrate/
electrolyte drinks, energy bars, carbohydrate boosters and vitamins and minerals. (Adopted: 4/27/00
effective 8/1/00, Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02, 4/14/09)
(h) Fruit, Nuts and Bagels. An institution may provide fruit, nuts and bagels to a student-athlete at any time.
(Adopted: 4/30/09 effective 8/1/09)

Link: http://www.gomason.com/fls/25200/PDF/D112.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=25200

Universities make a fortune off those kids, BUT not every student athlete is some underpriviledged ghetto type whose "hoop dream" is getting him an education.

I DO think these kids are being exploited and SHOULD get 3 squares a day and access to doctors. But they ARE still getting free tuition. I enlisted to get money for school so I'm not shedding a tear for some guy whose athletic ability gets him the opportunity to play ball at college level AND get an education on top of that.
Two words for "starving" college students with a paid for dorm room and paid tuition: "Top Ramen". Bon appetite muff-hugga.

Check with your son and see if this was not also true at SFA. I know the scholarships at D1AA schools are a little different, many schools offering only partial schollies. Maybe they make it up by giving the players better meals/accomodations?

Will do, man, and I'll get back to you and we can compare notes.

Thanks for a great reply and it's a very interesting conversation. :)

(p.s. SFA is Stephen F. Austin up in Nacogdoches, Tx.)

David Cutcliff former OC for Tennessee during Foster's years responds:

Cutcliffe, who was Tennessee’s offensive coordinator during 2006 and 2007, Foster’s sophomore and junior seasons, wasn’t believing his story when asked about it Tuesday, saying, “That may have been as weak of interview as I’ve heard. Arian never looked hungry.”“As long as I’ve been around it, and it’s a long time, longer than sometimes than I even think, athletes have been treated pretty well. I don’t see anybody getting abused

Cutcliffe added that during his three decades at Division I schools – he was an undergraduate assistant at Alabama and coached at Tennessee, Mississippi, Notre Dame (for a few weeks before resigning because of heart issues) and Duke – he has never met an athlete so destitute that he lacked food and shelter.“You understand that if they are need-based Pell Grant, every bit of that money goes to them, OK?” Cutcliffe said. “You’re looking at one that was need-based. I thought I had it pretty darn good. You understand what I’m saying?

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09...-arian-never-looked-hungry.html#storylink=cpy

Back