Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Former NFL Star Wishes He Never Played

Texan4Ever

All Pro
Interesting article at SI.com about former Pro Bowl linemen Dave Pear, check it out at: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jeff_pearlman/12/18/pear/index.html?cnn=yes.

Dave Pear has a message for you. "Don't let your kids play football," he says. "Never."

He is, in basic terms, a train wreck -- a football-inflicted train wreck. Pear walks with a cane and, often, simply doesn't walk at all. He suffers from vertigo and memory loss. Over the past 18 years, he has undergone eight surgeries, beginning with a Posterior Cervical Laminectomy on his neck in 1981, and including disc removal and rod fusion in his back (1987), arthroplasty in his left hip (2008) and, earlier this year, four screws removed from his lower back.

I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to play football in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s without the medical advances we have today, not to mention the dirity plays back in those days and the overall physicallity of the sport back then.

Thanks for passing that along.

Sad story. And, the guy is only 56 years old, which is still fairly young. This is why I try not to be to hard on the players when they miss a tackle or do something strange on the field. We forget that this is a very violent sport, and the human body isn't really made to be pounded on by another 300 pound human being.

Sad story. And, the guy is only 56 years old, which is still fairly young. This is why I try not to be to hard on the players when they miss a tackle or do something strange on the field. We forget that this is a very violent sport, and the human body isn't really made to be pounded on by another 300 pound human being.

Damn. I guess I should lay off of Fred Bennett, then. Thanks OP for the
perspective.

IIRC there was an episode on (A&E?) a few years back called "When the Cheering Stops". They showed a few ex-players & what they have to deal with on a daily basis. Made me wonder what would happen if people didn't watch football, but I can't help it; I'm a fan.

IIRC there was an episode on (A&E?) a few years back called "When the Cheering Stops". They showed a few ex-players & what they have to deal with on a daily basis. Made me wonder what would happen if people didn't watch football, but I can't help it; I'm a fan.

That's why I'm all for people like Ditka and a few others advocating for these guys. They are what the league we all know today was built on and they deserve to be taken care of for all the hard work and physical punishment they endured.

This is why I'm hoping that Brian Westbrook (and other guys in similar situations) just retires. He is an amazing football player but its just not worth the risk. Thanks for sharing the article.

That's why I'm all for people like Ditka and a few others advocating for these guys. They are what the league we all know today was built on and they deserve to be taken care of for all the hard work and physical punishment they endured.

Without a doubt this should be one of the primary lessons from stories like this. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry, and there is simply no logical argument to be made for not providing health care for the retired players whose blood and sweat that today's league is built upon.

Another big lesson is to let your kids play the sports that they want to play. Parents need to wake up/grow up and quit living vicariously through their kids. So many youth are pushed into a specific sport because daddy played it and he wants the son to be more successful, but often it's not the sport that the kid wants to play. But many of the greatest athletes had backgrounds from many different sports, so there is something to be said about just playing sports for the fun of it until kids get older and can focus on what they really want to accomplish.

I mention the second part because I've got a buddy who really pushes his boy to play football, and while the kid really wants to play and likes the sport, some of his other friends on the team are already suffering from some potentially long-term serious injuries. They are only 9-10 years old.

I mention the second part because I've got a buddy who really pushes his boy to play football, and while the kid really wants to play and likes the sport, some of his other friends on the team are already suffering from some potentially long-term serious injuries. They are only 9-10 years old.
I played football growing up, as did many of us. I learned a lot about life ~ how to prepare for an event, how to get along in a team, how to take orders, what it feels like to win and lose.

With all the steroid abuse, excessive competition and problems with the game; I don't know that I'd encourage a young man to play football any longer. Throw on top of that the long term physical beating the body takes, well, there are other activities that can prepare a child for life besides football.

yep, the NFLPA needs to take better care of the people that paved the way. NFL players don't tend to live long lives and there are several reasons for that including bodytypes, physical punishment and all the concussions one gets over a lifetime of playing, so I've never been one to rail on about how much money they make. They deserve as much of the revenue they can get since they are the ones putting their health on the line. Walking around with a cane in chronic pain isn't fun. Hell, I'm an expert on that one.

yep, the NFLPA needs to take better care of the people that paved the way. NFL players don't tend to live long lives and there are several reasons for that including bodytypes, physical punishment and all the concussions one gets over a lifetime of playing, so I've never been one to rail on about how much money they make. They deserve as much of the revenue they can get since they are the ones putting their health on the line. Walking around with a cane in chronic pain isn't fun. Hell, I'm an expert on that one.

Here's a book I always forget that I want to read .

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Its-Just-Bruise-Outrageous/product-reviews/0312136277

Heck, I only played football up to a year and a half into College and I wish I hadn't played for as long as I did. I think I knew in the back of my mind my body wouldn't hold up going into College, but did it anyways. I had 3 older brothers, which might've had something to do with it.

Recently, my Son chose not to play football next season. Not only due to the political BS, but he's already figured out that his body isn't built for football. Smart kid! He's now doing what I should've done....sticking to baseball. He made the decision on his own and I support him 150%.

Heck, I only played football up to a year and a half into College and I wish I hadn't played for as long as I did. I think I knew in the back of my mind my body wouldn't hold up going into College, but did it anyways. I had 3 older brothers, which might've had something to do with it.

Recently, my Son chose not to play football next season. Not only due to the political BS, but he's already figured out that his body isn't built for football. Smart kid! He's now doing what I should've done....sticking to baseball. He made the decision on his own and I support him 150%.

Why didn't I stick to baseball... Damnit!! :brickwall:

They (NFLPA) should be ashamed of themselves.

My son is the same way. He loves to run and loves to kick balls, so soccer has been the sport that is natural for him. While I'm not a soccer fan in any regard, I can't be a doofus Jim Rome-clone and act like it's not a sport. That's just goofy.

My dad has convinced my son, though, that being good at soccer could lead you to be a kicker in football, which still gets you a 4-year scholarship and the fun of being on a football team without all the wear and tear on your body. My son likes that idea, and if he wants it, I'll be there to support his decisions when that time comes.

According to George Carlin soccer isn't a sport because the ball has spots.

I just don't see how anyone can argue with flawless logic like that. Soccer is a "game" not a "sport". It's a subtle distinction applied arbitrarily by people to get a rise out of other people.

Golf isn't a sport either. It's just pool and your standing on the table. :)

I used to say sports players are overpaid but in the NFL it is warrented because one play might cost you your career. We pay for tickets or watch the games have a right to get angry but many tend to overlook how each and every player puts their own body and sometimes even their own lifes at risk. We all should remember that at the end of the day after a win or a loss and just be thankful for the players who play the game for all of us to enjoy just remember that. You digg?

Back