Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Forget the O-Line talk GM/Player Personnel/Draft Team the real weaknesses.

Okay look..

alright first off, with the first picks in the draft, we actually have good picks. Carr, Johnson and Robinson okay looks good so far. But after the first pick all of a sudden we become *****s with the next pick or so.

First season we passed up Clinton Portis, for Chester Pitts. Yeah that's great!! Grab a Guard instead of picking a A Franchise Quaterback and Franchise Running Back in the same draft how smart of us. Lemme guess what comes here next.

"Well there's no use in having a good running back if you don't have a good line etc. so on and so forth."

who would you rather have Clinton Portis or Domanick Davis? Well we all know the answer to that one and if you say Davis, you are only fooling yourself. or how about this one...

Okay I was like fine maybe they'll do better next year First pick Johnson great!! okay next pick...... And I think we pick Seth Wand in the 2nd or something like that... Yeah he's real valuable to this team (Yeah right)...

Hmmm now 2004 draft, Robinson with the first pick that was great okay. Now keeping in mind that we already have 2 good outside linebackers, Wong and Peek okay well let's trade ur 2nd and 3rd picks. Pass up on the likes of Micheal Boulware, OH MY goodness how smart of the draft team. Now don't get me wrong I like Babin has a player and everything but we shouldn't have pick him when we had Peek waiting in the wings and we already had Wong sitting on a fat contract.

Now we sign Coleman to an extension.. and for what reason, don't we have enough old-underachivers taking up cap space.. yeah go ahead and resign him.. and while you're at it sign Seth Payne to a 5yr/ $40m contract oh yeah don't forget to give Bradford another $50m for the next 7 years of service. Oh yeah there was a homeless guy outside of Fiesta today, we can sign him to a 4yr/$30m contract and have him run around in circles for us.

No I got an even better idea, let's bring Tony Boselli out of retirement and give him another $50m contract, so he can do absolutely nothing again. I can't believe the bad decisions that have been made. Why Dom Capers why not a "REAL" coach. Romeo Crennel, Mike Nolan, Tim Lewis, Jim Johnson, Mike Moore, Charlie Weis and Monte Kiffin.

Okay what about the O-Line, would you rather have a young inexperienced line (i.e N.Y. Giants) or a moderatly/well paid experienced proven line (i.e. Kanas City Chiefs, Green Bay Packers). Hmm I think I'll go with paid, experienced and proven line and draft at the Skill postions. Makes sense.. I'll go with yes.

So bring it on I'm curious of what people have to say.... :howdy:

The only first day player not with the team is Charles Hill. We have drafted well. Seth Wand was a third rounder & Bradford is a free agent this year. Peek and Babin play different positions at linebacker (there are 4 starting linebackers and Wong and Peek are the weak-side OLB....Babin plays strong side). You ought to do some more homework before dogging the team. It helps your argument(s) to have your facts together.

1 1 1 David Carr QB Fresno State
2 1 33 Jabar Gaffney WR Florida
2 18 50 Chester Pitts G San Diego State
3 1 66 Fred Weary C Tennessee
3 18 83 Charles Hill DT Maryland (only first day pick not on the team.)
1 3 3 Andre Johnson WR Miami (FL)
2 9 41 Ben Joppru TE Michigan
3 3 67 Antwan Peek LB Cincinnati
3 11 75 Seth Wand T Northwest Missouri State
3 24 88 Dave Ragone QB Louisville
1 10 10 Dunta Robinson Texans DB South Carolina
1 27 27 Jason Babin Texans DE Western Michigan

Yes, what are you complaining about? Every team has made their bad decisions. And as far as the drafts go, you never have any idea of how a player will perform in the professional league. You yourself have seen at the end of the season what everyone can do and who were the best picks and who weren't.

You think that now at the end of the season with San Diego knowing what they know now would have drafted Philip Rivers? Dude you're out of your mind take a chill pill before you have a heart attack or somthing.

And i may be wrong, but where have you gotten this 7 years 50 million contract for Bradford? He's a FA this year isn't he?

Anyways the Colts and Patriots game just started maybe you should watch it to take your troubles off your mind.

1 1 1 David Carr QB Fresno State
(Great Pick, I will admit)

2 1 33 Jabar Gaffney WR Florida
(Good pick)

2 18 50 Chester Pitts G San Diego State
(Right here, the funny thing is that Clinton Portis get's picked, with the 19th pick in the 2nd Rd and I didn't have to wait till the season was over to know that he was going to be a great RB. You must not have seen him play at Miami. euff said)

3 1 66 Fred Weary C Tennessee
(ohhh what an awesome pick!, yeah okay whatever..)

3 18 83 Charles Hill DT Maryland
(only first day pick not on the team.)

1 3 3 Andre Johnson WR Miami (FL)
(great pick)

2 9 41 Ben Joppru TE Michigan
(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I don't even have to speak on that guy. You onlyhelp my point out by posting that...)

3 3 67 Antwan Peek LB Cincinnati
(good pick)

3 11 75 Seth Wand T Northwest Missouri State
(yeah okay, whatever O-Line problems need I say more.)

3 24 88 Dave Ragone QB Louisville
(Why pick a QB that high in the draft??, is he supposed to be our NEXT franchise QB or something?... You don't pick back up QBs that high.. to be honest with you I'd rather get a FA to back up my QB.)

1 10 10 Dunta Robinson Texans DB South Carolina
(Great Pick)

1 27 27 Jason Babin Texans DE Western Michigan
(okay like I said don't get me wrong I like Babin, but we could have done without him. Who cares if Babin and Peek doesn't play the same position great athletes like him you can put them on either side.. i.e. Kearse, Freeney and Taylor) (Besides I've seen Peek rush the passer from both sides of the line and he does a great job from both sides.)

-------------

What I'm saying is though and I want you all to understand this clearly. Instead of spending $3m to Walker, $4m to Coleman. why not draft great talent and pay them $1.8m or $1.3m that's gonna free up more room to upgrade the "spotty" O-Line or give us room to sign people like Plaxico Burress or Edgerton Hartwell or Corey Simon or Donovan Darius to give immediate Impact rather then resigning 33yr olds and 32yr olds that have 2more AVERAGE yrs left. When you can draft a great young talent that's probably gonna produce more and possibly give you AT LEAST 6 or 7 good years and if they resign, well that's another 4 or 5 more years that you don't have to worry about a Safety or D-Lineman.

33yrs Old Coleman = $4.2m
(Who is not going to get any better and WILL retire in the next 2 yrs)

22yrs Old Darnell Bing = 2nd RD Pick / $750K
+ 28yrs old Edgerton Hartwell = FA / $3.75M

Young Talent and A Bright Future = PRICELESS

Can you find a team that has its last 11 of its last 12 first day draft picks on the roster?

Are you saying we should not draft back up quarterbacks? I prefer guys who can play if your starter gets injured myself. The Patriots took Rohan Davey in the 3rd round when they had Tom Brady. Perhaps you should go admonish them too.

You say the team needs a veteran line....can you tell me which team was going to donate us one? We have three Veteran Free Agents on the line out of the 5 position players. We have two 'first day' draft selections playing with them. What is wrong with an expansion team doing this?

Ok if you hadn't noticed it takes most rookies a few years to impact players for their team. Anyways you can cry and whine all you want nothing is going to change just because you think it was a bad decision. You gotta deal with it just like the rest of us so get over it. :hmmm:

I personoally think we've drafted very well in each of our 3 drafts. Sure, we maybe could have made a better decision with some of the picks, but you can't tell how each player will pan out. I expect another great draft this year.

Can you find a team that has its last 11 of its last 12 first day draft picks on the roster?

The only reason why we still have a couple of those guys, is because we are young and we don't have a lot of depth. That's the only thing saving their roster spot. I know that and I'm pretty sure that you know that.

Are you saying we should not draft back up quarterbacks? I prefer guys who can play if your starter gets injured myself.

What I'm saying is that we are a young team and we have our franchise QB and a solid back QB. Why would you use a 3rd round pick (A First Day Pick, keep in mind) on a 3rd string QB. That's something that you do in the 6th or 7th round. The B.J. Symons pick I don't have a problem with that... That 3rd round pick could be used on something more valuable than a 3rd string QB.

You say the team needs a veteran line....can you tell me which team was going to donate us one? We have three Veteran Free Agents on the line out of the 5 position players. We have two first day draft playing with them. What is wrong with an expansion team doing this?

Nobody is going to doante us a O-Line, also nobody donated the Chiefs or the Packers a Veteran Line. They did what they had to do to protect Green and Favre. They signed FAs and look at them now. they don't have a bunch of Pitts and Milford Browns or seth Wands on their line.

Ok if you hadn't noticed it takes most rookies a few years to impact players for their team. Anyways you can cry, b**ch, and whine all you want nothing is going to change just because you think it was a bad decision. You gotta deal with it just like the rest of us so get over it.

Check this out.... I'm just coming on him voiceing my opinion opening up a subject so that people can get involve.. the last time I check this was a message board.

if that's the case then are you saying that people should post thinks like "If you had the #1 pick who would you pick?" or "The O-Line is a huge problem" or things like that.

A note on Clinton Portis.... the guy is not great, he's just a product of Denver [see Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Tatum Bell, Quentin Griffin]; his numbers in Washington are heavily inflated due to Gibbs tendency to run the ball 100 times a game.

If Portis could not produce well behind Washington's line, who's to say he'll be godly behind our sorry state oline?

Besides, I'd rather take Davis over Portis... with Carr always having to escape defenders, I doubt Portis would be the good dump-off back that Davis has been.

Look plain and simple... just answer the question for me..

Would you rather have a Old Declining Overpaid Safety or
a young telented Safety out the draft and a good upgrade at the Linebacker Position.

Marcus Coleman or
Bing/Davis/Shazor and Hartwell/Claiborne/Trotter

Gary Walker or
Wright/Ngata/Hawthorne and Plaxico/Darius/OT McDougal

Anyway even if we didn't have Coleman and we had a Young Safety instead and let's just "SAY" that he does absolutely nothing. at least The Young safety has time to improve and get better.. And he is gonna count less against us in the cap. besides Coleman is gonna retire in the next 2 or 3 yrs and he's not gonna get any faster, stronger or any better...

Human Highlight Reel said:

a young telented Safety out the draft and a good upgrade at the Linebacker Position.

Marcus Coleman or

Gary Walker or

Anyway even if we didn't have Coleman and we had a Young Safety instead and let's just "SAY" that he does absolutely nothing. at least The Young safety has time to improve and get better.. And he is gonna count less against us in the cap. besides Coleman is gonna retire in the next 2 or 3 yrs and he's not gonna get any faster, stronger or any better...

Do you know the meaning of a salary cap? I ask why they call you the human highlight real, cuz i know you aren't the hall of fame gm named gill

Marcus Coleman or

Gary Walker or
you want answers....I got em (although you may not want to hear them).

What we need is a Tight End, Buc linebacker, a front 7 player and an interior lineman to replace other players, not those guys. Every year people fall in love with rookies who may or may not make it in the pros. Every year fans go nuts over some kid who doesn't pan out because beating College players on a given play isn't as easy as beating a real NFL player in the same matchup.

Also, free agents are FREE to go where they please. You just can't madden-draft them and they automatically come to your favorite team.

I'll take Coleman who is proven and our 3rd cover corner on the field over unproven rookies that may or may not pan out.

Gary Walker is two years removed from a pro bowl season. He is coming off a season where he had some injury problems. I'd bet he bounces back next season one year removed from his injury. He just didn't lose his skills over night.

Just for kicks lets take a look at some of the teams that are generally applauded for their picks in the draft.

New England
Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 6 Seymour, Richard DT Georgia
2 48 Light, Matt T Purdue (Pioli taking a OT in the 2nd? What was he thinking? No way he'd play a role in the Patriots SB Championships)
3 86 Williams, Brock DB Notre Dame
4 96 Jones, Kenyatta T South Florida (Another OT? Why would the Patriots want to infuse their OLine with youth?)
4 119 Holloway, Jabari TE Notre Dame
5 163 Akbar, Hakim OLB Washington
6 180 Love, Arther TE South Carolina State
6 200 Myers, Leonard CB Miami
7 216 Pochman, Owen K Brigham Young
7 239 Turner, T.J. OLB Michigan State

1 21 Graham, Daniel TE Colorado
2 65 Branch, Deion WR Louisville
4 117 Davey, Rohan QB Louisiana State (Tom Brady just led you to a Super Bowl by playing well for less than a full season. What more do you want? He doesn't need a backup. It's not as if he took the starting role as a result of an injury or anything.)
4 126 Green, Jarvis DE Louisiana State
7 237 Womack, Antwoine RB Virginia
7 253 Givens, David WR Notre Dame

1 13 Ty Warren DE Texas A&M
2 36 Eugene Wilson CB Illinois
2 45 Bethel Johnson WR Texas A&M
4 117 Dan Klecko NT Temple
4 120 Asante Samuel CB Central Florida
5 164 Dan Koppen C Boston College (Pioli obviously doesn't know the benefit of filling your line with strictly veterans. No way he'll stay with the team)
6 201 Kliff Kingsbury QB Texas Tech
7 234 Spencer Nead FB Brigham Young
7 239 Tully Banta-Cain LB California
7 243 Ethan Kelley NT Baylor

Baltimore
1 5 Lewis, Jamal RB Tennessee
1 10 Taylor, Travis WR Florida
3 75 Redman, Chris QB Louisville (Newsome taking a QB in the third as a backup now that is absolute madness)
5 148 Mercier, Richard G Miami
6 186 Thomas, Adalius DE Southern Mississippi
6 191 Woodard, Cedric DT Texas

1 31 Heap, Todd TE Arizona State
2 62 Baxter, Gary CB Baylor
3 92 Rabach, Casey G Wisconsin (Why does Newsome insist on taking young OLinemen? He just came off a SB Championship it's not like he needs quality backups.)
4 126 Hartwell, Edgerton ILB Western Illinois
5 161 Barnes, Chris RB New Mexico State
6 194 Maese, Joe C New Mexico
7 231 Missouri, Dwayne DE Northwestern

Nobody is going to doante us a O-Line, also nobody donated the Chiefs or the Packers a Veteran Line. They did what they had to do to protect Green and Favre. They signed FAs and look at them now.
All of the starting Packer Offensive linemen were original draft choices by Green Bay.

Lucky said:
All of the starting Packer Offensive linemen were original draft choices by Green Bay.

I have a feeling 'the Reel' deal might ask for some proof about this so I'll just go ahead and address it now.

1998 2nd Round 54* Wahle, Mike G Navy *denotes he was a supplemental pick

2000 2nd Round 44 Clifton, Chad T Tennessee
7th Round 224 Tauscher, Mark T Wisconsin

1996 3rd Round 90 Flanagan, Mike C UCLA
6th Round 208 Rivera, Marco G Penn State

First season we passed up Clinton Portis, for Chester Pitts. Yeah that's great!! Grab a Guard instead of picking a A Franchise Quaterback and Franchise Running Back in the same draft how smart of us. Lemme guess what comes here next.

"Well there's no use in having a good running back if you don't have a good line etc. so on and so forth."

who would you rather have Clinton Portis or Domanick Davis? Well we all know the answer to that one and if you say Davis, you are only fooling yourself.

Brilliant job of proving exactly the opposite of what you are asserting. Take for granted that Portis is the better RB than Davis--now explain why DD had a better year than Portis did?--behind an incredibly inconsistant Texans OL when he was dinged for half the year? C'mon you can do it. How stupid of the Texans to try to build an OL that even clearly inferior, undersized (although 15 lbs heavier than the never described as too little Portis) DD can run behind when they could have had a RB that runs really well behind a dominate OL, when they have an oops non-dominate OL.

:howdy: Jimmy Johnson was told how great a judge of talent he was. His reply was that he had 13 picks (this probably because of the Walker trade) and he hit on 5. If you have a high volume of picks then it seems better than it is. DD is a good back. Portis is more of a HR hitter than DD.. We have to remember that overnight successes usely take 5 yrs.

:rofl: I couldn't stop laughing for a little bit. Damn looking back at the past drafts that Scott Pioli had, FIRE CHASSERLY NOW AND GET THAT GUY IN HERE. Ooops, I might have started something.

Looking back at our drafts, we have had very productive ones. Chasserly has gotten us though 3 solid drafts. Not the best, but certianly not the worst. Those drafts have brought us the building blocks we now have today. Carr, Johnson, Davis, Peek, Fagins, Wand, all are very productive players that will be stars in our near future.

I remember Dom Capers saying when asked about how many FA's we were going to be bringing in during the offseason, he told them "you build your teams though the draft", and how very true those words are. Just ask Capers what happened to his Carolina team. Filled with top notch verterns, sure it got them to the NFC Championship in year two, but after that Capers was shown the door.

Now for the Cliton Portis thing.........Portis was a 2nd round back. He was never supposed to be some great all-star, all-pro running back. In my opinion, he was just in the right place at the right time. Sure the kid has talent, but if you put him in Houston in his rookie season, we may be talking today how we need to replace him. Besides we have our franchise back in DD, who came to us in the 4th compared to the 2nd. Besides DD can catch balls, not sure how many Portis has caught.

We have built this team for the future, and your future is in the draft. You future ain't any over-priced, 30 something FA pickups.

Back