Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

For Schaub To Have Success

wee_man082008

Practice Squad
If we want Schaub to have success, we need to give him something Carr didnt have. An O line! Everybody is talking about getting a WR with the 10th pick like Meacham but we need to draft Levi Brown so Schaub can through to his recievers. We can get a decent #2 or #3 WR in the 3rd round and let Owen Daniels be the second option. Our first three options could be AJ, Daniels, and Sidney Rice who we get in the 3rd round. What do yall think?

If we want Schaub to have success, we need to give him something Carr didnt have. An O line! Everybody is talking about getting a WR with the 10th pick like Meacham but we need to draft Levi Brown so Schaub can through to his recievers. We can get a decent #2 or #3 WR in the 3rd round and let Owen Daniels be the second option. Our first three options could be AJ, Daniels, and Sidney Rice who we get in the 3rd round. What do yall think?

I think we need a good O-line period. So many guys were injured last year too. In order for Matt to suceed, he has to have a pocket and time to throw.

Its not a lock that Levi Brown will be there at 10. We must explore all options, well expect QB now.

I pulled this from another thread.

As far as not getting David an OL to work behind, we put starters in front of him. Victor Riley, Todd Wade, Wiegart, all starters before coming to Houston. They may not have been probowlers, but they defiinitely weren't the worst OLmen in the league that they looked like when they were playing for Houston.

Milford Brown was signed last year as the Arizona Cardinals starting LG... he finished '06 as the Arizona Cardinals left guard... he started 12 games as the Arizona Cardinals LG. & with Milford Brown as the Arizona Cardinals LG, they only gave up 35 sacks(6 less than the Texans), threw for 3662 yards(900 more than the Texans), and for 17 TDs(6 more than the Texans) & all this, with no running game to speak of, and one of the worst defenses in the league.

I am all for an OL in the first. WR should be deep, so we can touch that later in the draft. All that said, I htink we are weakest at DB, so I hope we go for a safety in the first.

I am all for an OL in the first. WR should be deep, so we can touch that later in the draft. All that said, I htink we are weakest at DB, so I hope we go for a safety in the first.

If we have no pass rush and the QB has all day to throw it will not matter who we have at safety and CB.

I would be trying to get NE excited about the 10th pick and work out a trade for their two 1st round picks. Then I would take Staley and Kalil, and my Ol is ready to mature together.

Staley, Spencer, Kalil, Pitts, Winston
If Spencer is Healthy I try him at tackle and guard and see where he is able to play. Pitts may have to move, Winston maybe a guard with Black playing RT.

This would give you options. My backups would be McKinney, Weary, Black and Salaam. I would let Flanagan go or try to trade him for a 2nd day pick next year.

It would be the most solid line we have had since we started.

If we have no pass rush and the QB has all day to throw it will not matter who we have at safety and CB.

IT's a two way street. If we can't cover the 10 & 15 yard routes(2.5 seconds) we'll have to rely on blitzing to get to the QB. & You saw what that did to us in Buffalo.

to the starter of this thread: i seriously doubt Sidney Rice will be available in the 3rd. some have him going in the first but most have him going early second.

Kalil is the only OL i'd draft outside Joe Thomas in the first round and that is after a tradedown.

I just think that Nelson, Hall, and Anderson would be able to help the team more than Levi Brown would if we were to stay at # 10.

I really like the DBs available in this draft to fill our needs of FS and CB # 2.

PS: Didn't Kubiak say that he thought the strongest positions in this draft class were OT and WR? I think he's really high on that Ryan Harris guy the Texans interviewed from Notre Dame at the combine. He's a day 2 guy prolly 4th rounder. Call it a gut feeling I suppose.

People are going to be surprised this year at what can happen when we've got a QB that can work the pocket. Carr was his own worse 'enemy' when he went back to pass, as his mechanics and ability to work the pocket are horrible.

Let's take the 3 step drop for example, which is predicated on timing by the qb/wr/ol. The premise is that the qb reads the defense at the line of scrimmage before the snap and has a good idea where his best target will be based on the match-ups he sees...maybe there's a height advantage or a speed advantage, etc.

The qb takes 3 steps back and releases the ball when his back foot hits 3...goal being in the WCO to hit the receiver in stride for yac (yds after catch). However, our offense did not work this way because our qb failed to initiate the process, hanging onto the ball instead. Doing this, affects everyone in a bad way-OL are guessing who to block because they don't know where the qb is or where he is going/receivers routes are in chaos for the same reason.

We saw Carr in this scenario over and over again and he had similar problems with 5 and 7 step drops as well. Why?

Then, there were Carr's mechanics, like his release point/throwing motion and-yes-other qbs have succeeded with similar problems throwing the ball, but David (in the pros) has not. He virtually has no vertical passing game and it's not always a protection issue--most of the time (if not first batted down), he simply can not get the ball from point A to point B.

As I said earlier, the WCO passing game is about yac and an occasional throw to stretch the field and keep the defense 'on their toes.' David's passing game is either 'dink and dunk' or hitting his rec when they're virtually stopped, instead of in stride.

Bottom line, a qb that can work the pocket/has good foot work/good throwing mechanics will succeed in the WCO or any other offense, for that matter. JMO, David is going to have a tough time where ever he goes...and he never made it a personal goal to 'fix' his problems---all pros at every offensive position will not make up for Carr's short comings...

Carr's fan base never understood that the biggest part of Carr's problems were David himself--simply put, some people are driven to fix their problems and some are not. Then, maybe Carr really bought into the notion that it wasn't him at all but-instead-it was everything else around him. However, if this were true and Carr was so 'great,' we would have seen glimpses of this every once in a while...instead, last year, he showed nothing and his play got worse.

Matt and Sage will be fine...

IT's a two way street. If we can't cover the 10 & 15 yard routes(2.5 seconds) we'll have to rely on blitzing to get to the QB. & You saw what that did to us in Buffalo.

I respectfully disagree, I think anyone that is even average should be able to cover someone for 2.5 sec.
In Buffalo they were torching us on the long pass so we backed up and gave them the short pass. That is why they were completing them all day. If we only give the QB 3 sec. then he will have to throw short and our CB's can be more aggressive and jump the route.

I respectfully disagree, I think anyone that is even average should be able to cover someone for 2.5 sec.
In Buffalo they were torching us on the long pass so we backed up and gave them the short pass. That is why they were completing them all day. If we only give the QB 3 sec. then he will have to throw short and our CB's can be more aggressive and jump the route.

That's the problem. I'm saying we can't cover for 2.5 seconds. The ball is out of the QBs hands, to a wide open reciever before our front 4 can get to the QB.

In Buffalo, they got us twice on the deep ball, because we had Faggins in bump & run coverage, but he forgot to bump. The first one, was a blitz, and CC wasn't fast enough to get to Losman before he threw the ball, and he was on a free run, they had no one to block him.

Now if we were to draft that Safety that you're so set against, he'd have got to Losman before the throw.... he runs a 4.35 40.

But last year, we were terrible "sensing" the screen, and terrible with the underneath coverage. A lot of the big plays we gave up, especially against Philly, Indy, and Washington, were underneath crossing routes, that went for 20 or 30 yards.

Back