Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Football's risks sink in, Even in Texas

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Not long ago, caravans of cars drove to Houston and Dallas to watch the Marshall Mavericks battle for the high school state football championship, and signs hanging from bridges along the interstate read, “Playoff bound.” The local sporting-goods shops would sell out of red-and-white merchandise — anything in the school’s colors — on game days.

But now Marshall represents something quite different — a shift in perceptions about football that would have been hard to imagine when the school made a cameo in the book “Friday Night Lights” nearly 25 years ago.

Amid widespread and growing concerns about the physical dangers of the sport, the school board here approved plans in February to shut down the district’s entry-level, tackle-football program for seventh graders in favor of flag football. There was little objection.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/12/sports/footballs-risks-sink-in-even-in-heart-of-texas.html?_r=0

I'd be thrilled if my kid wanted to play any sport. If it's football, great.

I know more people that have gotten good things from football than bad things. Is just make sure he knew proper technique and was physically ready for it.

I guess we wont be hearing about Marshall's deep playoff/state championship runs.

People love to mention how "dangerous" football is. Honestly its safer than its ever been. What needs to happen is players need to train smarter and condition better. Coaches need to pay attention and trainers have to be held to a higher degree in order to ensure the safety of the athlete.

Screw the bull crap about heart. I had coaches who would ask a DB to tackle a NT carrying the ball and yell at the DB for not showing heart. If you know physics you know there is no chance in hell a 155-lb DB is going to take down a 320-lb NT (this was HS BTW).

Fact of the matter is that players have gotten bigger since most people played on this board and its up to parents, kids, and coaches to tell certain players that they are not in the physical condition yet to play (depending on the league, team, etc etc)

Make it like basketball where you can cut players if you have to. Most HS I assume have more than enough players trying out.

My son is 5 and wants to play football, i encourage it also. If you consider the amount of people who play the game and compare it to the number of life threatening injuries then you'd see football is not really a dangerous sport.

I suppose all the people who wont let their kids play also wont let their kids get drivers licenses either ? Because that is WAY more dangerous.

Back