Football's risks sink in, Even in Texas

Discussion in 'Texas High School Football' started by xtruroyaltyx, May 15, 2014.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/12/sports/footballs-risks-sink-in-even-in-heart-of-texas.html?_r=0

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

Flag football? What are the fatter slower players going to do?

EllisUnit likes this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

Good question.

Probably block still but flag football stlye like little kids do.

4. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

I love football but if I had a son, I wouldn't want him to play it.

5. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yep. About as good for you as this: :brickwall:

6. xtruroyaltyx

I'd be thrilled if my kid wanted to play any sport. If it's football, great.

I know more people that have gotten good things from football than bad things. Is just make sure he knew proper technique and was physically ready for it.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I guess we wont be hearing about Marshall's deep playoff/state championship runs.

8. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

People love to mention how "dangerous" football is. Honestly its safer than its ever been. What needs to happen is players need to train smarter and condition better. Coaches need to pay attention and trainers have to be held to a higher degree in order to ensure the safety of the athlete.

Screw the bull crap about heart. I had coaches who would ask a DB to tackle a NT carrying the ball and yell at the DB for not showing heart. If you know physics you know there is no chance in hell a 155-lb DB is going to take down a 320-lb NT (this was HS BTW).

Fact of the matter is that players have gotten bigger since most people played on this board and its up to parents, kids, and coaches to tell certain players that they are not in the physical condition yet to play (depending on the league, team, etc etc)

Make it like basketball where you can cut players if you have to. Most HS I assume have more than enough players trying out.

9. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

My son is 5 and wants to play football, i encourage it also. If you consider the amount of people who play the game and compare it to the number of life threatening injuries then you'd see football is not really a dangerous sport.

I suppose all the people who wont let their kids play also wont let their kids get drivers licenses either ? Because that is WAY more dangerous.