Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

First timer

Islander

Practice Squad
looking for some advice, wife and I are attending our first Texan game. Looking for suggestions for hotels to stay, things to do, and places to eat

Been reading some reviews about hotels and it seems like car break-in’s and theft are common at the hotels around NRG

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

looking for some advice, wife and I are attending our first Texan game. Looking for suggestions for hotels to stay, things to do, and places to eat

Been reading some reviews about hotels and it seems like car break-in’s and theft are common at the hotels around NRG

Welcome! Are you Galveston islander? If you are open to driving a bit, you could stay in areas surrounding Houston and save some $.

How long will you be staying?

Welcome! Are you Galveston islander? If you are open to driving a bit, you could stay in areas surrounding Houston and save some $.
No, first time in here. We are open to drive, really just looking for a good/safe area to stay.

wife and I are from Hawaii

No, first time in here. We are open to drive, really just looking for a good/safe area to stay.

wife and I are from Hawaii
May be closer areas to stadium but i offer my area Clear Lake.

30-45 minutes from NRG

Hotels
/motels/bed & breakfast for almost every price range.

Minutes from NASA visitor center

Clear Lake boating and fishing. Includes tourist rides, pontoon and jetski rentals

Kemah Boardwalk restaurants, rides and family oriented entertainment including outdoor night concerts (Tejano going on now)

Baybrook Mall and many nearby restaurants of all types

Family entertainment such as Main Event and brand new Wolf Lodge water entertainment.

Galveston Island 20 minutes with the bay, Pleasure Pier and too many to list clubs, restaurants, ferry to historical sites, dolphins, Houston ship channel traffic which is cool. Ferry free for cars or pedestrian. Caution long wait on weekends. On beach, you can rent bicycles or ride the Duck.

Much more.

May be closer areas to stadium but i offer my area Clear Lake.

30-45 minutes from NRG

Hotels
/motels/bed & breakfast for almost every price range.

Minutes from NASA visitor center

Clear Lake boating and fishing. Includes tourist rides, pontoon and jetski rentals

Kemah Boardwalk restaurants, rides and family oriented entertainment including outdoor night concerts (Tejano going on now)

Baybrook Mall and many nearby restaurants of all types

Family entertainment such as Main Event and brand new Wolf Lodge water entertainment.

Galveston Island 20 minutes with the bay, Pleasure Pier and too many to list clubs, restaurants, ferry to historical sites, dolphins, Houston ship channel traffic which is cool. Ferry free for cars or pedestrian. Caution long wait on weekends. On beach, you can rent bicycles or ride the Duck.

Much more.
Awesome, I’ll check it out!

We had the nasa on our to do list as well as the waterwall and graffiti park
All ranges of food options from fast food to great dining. Should you decide to come to my area, PM and I can answer more questions and suggestions where locals prefer to go and chow down.

I hit pool at 8 and now full of Mexican food so nap time. 😴

3 days in Houston 2 days in Austin0
Lol, you’ve got bigger problems in police defunded Austin. Texas has to send 150 Texas taxpayer funded Highway Patrol officers, taken away from other Texas roads, to patrol Austin‘s defunded police streets because Austin is several hundred officers short and cant hire enough officers to keep pace with resignments. but You can score great fentanyl laced street drugs.

Lol, you’ve got bigger problems in police defunded Austin. Texas has to send 150 Texas taxpayer funded Highway Patrol officers, taken away from other Texas roads, to patrol Austin‘s defunded police streets because Austin is several hundred officers short and cant hire enough officers to keep pace with resignments. but You can score great fentanyl laced street drugs.

good to know, thanks for the heads up

good to know, thanks for the heads up
I went to U Texas as an undergrad. Austin used to rule, but the World has changed. Bring a swimsuit and check out Barton Springs. I lived in Hawi on the big island for two years. Loved night diving and spearing lobster and uhu for night cookouts!

FYI, Austin just ended co-operative partnership with DPS after reported shooting of 10 year old by DPS. Read earlier and to tired to find link.

I've never been to Texas, let alone Houston, but as for transportation perhaps you should consider a taxi or Uber.

I went to U Texas as an undergrad. Austin used to rule, but the World has changed. Bring a swimsuit and check out Barton Springs. I lived in Hawi on the big island for two years. Loved night diving and spearing lobster and uhu for night cookouts!
dejaview, I’m born and raised on the big island and now live on Oahu. I used to drive out to kohala weekly for work

I've never been to Texas, let alone Houston, but as for transportation perhaps you should consider a taxi or Uber.
That is cost prohibitive here with the distances you have to travel over 3 days if you want to do things

FYI, Austin just ended co-operative partnership with DPS after reported shooting of 10 year old by DPS. Read earlier and to tired to find link.
I don’t think that is correct. I saw the video. A DPS officer was approaching a vehicle with his gun drawn but he never even came close to aiming it at anyone, much less firing it. Had it pointed downward. I dont know the traffic stop circumstances but the vehicle wasn’t in a lighted area and it had dark windshields. Officers get killed in those types of situations.

dejaview, I’m born and raised on the big island and now live on Oahu. I used to drive out to kohala weekly for work
what type of work out of curiosity because if I’m remembering correctly isnt that a big forest preserve or part of the Parker Ranch?

Last edited:
what type of work out of curiosity because if I’m remembering correctly isnt that a big forest preserve or part of the Parker Ranch?
sales, my accounts were in Waimea and kohala so I would drive out every week

yeah, parker ranch owns a ton of land out there

sales, my accounts were in Waimea and kohala so I would drive out every week

yeah, parker ranch owns a ton of land out there
I loved going up to Waimea at night into that cold mountain air. the only white Christmas I’ve ever had was in Hawaii, lol.

I don’t think that is correct. I saw the video. A DPS officer was approaching a vehicle with his gun drawn but he never even came close to aiming it at anyone, much less firing it. Had it pointed downward. I dont know the traffic stop circumstances but the vehicle wasn’t in a lighted area and it had dark windshields. Officers get killed in those types of situations.
To clarify my post was correct. This is not place to discuss your opinion of police action. I didn't offer mine. I posted it only as Islander had mentioned safety.

To clarify my post was correct. This is not place to discuss your opinion of police action. I didn't offer mine. I posted it only as Islander had mentioned safety.
WTF? YOU offered a 10 year old boy was shot. Want to address that again?

WTF? YOU offered a 10 year old boy was shot. Want to address that again?
No cursing necessary. Saying Austin unsafe leaves it hanging. I supported my words by saying Austin had ended it's cooperation agreement with DPS and why that was done (ten year old allegedly shot by DPS). Again, I didn’t offer my opinion. Let's not sidetrack the thread. If you want to discuss, start a thread and I'm there.

No cursing necessary. Saying Austin unsafe leaves it hanging. I supported my words by saying Austin had ended it's cooperation agreement with DPS and why that was done (ten year old allegedly shot by DPS). Again, I didn’t offer my opinion. Let's not sidetrack the thread. If you want to discuss, start a thread and I'm there.
A ten year old boy was not even close to being shot. Show me the CURRENT media news that said he was. If true this would be national. If not, certain media is milking this bs once aagain and admit THAT.

I remember my first trip into Houston to catch a Texans game with my son.
November 2014. It was just my oldest son (then 8) and myself. Can't remember where we stayed, but we were in the city.
We caught the Metrorail from the hotel to the stadium and he thought that was cool.

However, when at the front desk asking a question, my son said, "Daddy Look" and this homeless dude came right up to the mirrored front window, dropped his pants down to his ankles, like a 3 year old and pissed all over the hotel window. The reaction of the hotel staff was hilarious as they hurried the man to pull up his pants and got him on his way. He was yelling at them and vice versa. My son had that, "WTF" look in his eye and I just smiled at him and said, I guess he had to really go huh? We still talk about that and laugh.

Hope your stay is fun, but not quite "THAT" eventful !!

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Back