Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

First Play of the Game: Illegal Formation?

roooshi

#Demaryius2HOU
Can someone please explain to me how Duane Brown was in illegal formation on the first play?

The announcers even criticized the call by the refs.
This also negated a 15 yard run by foster to set the mood for the game.

13165315.png

Brown is NOT covered up. The texans only have 6 on the line, instead of the required 7. Walter needed to move up a step to cover up Brown.

This was the next play of the game. So how was he whistled for illegal formation the first play (is that was illegal to begin with) and then not whistled here?

97324733.png

Picture above.....As you see, Walter is off the line and Brown is uncovered. Look at AJ at the bottom, he covers the RT.

As you see in this picture, both Tackles are covered by a WR or TE. 7 players have to be on the line of scrimmage and the offensive linemen have to be covered, unless they announce they are eligible to the Ref. So, this formation is legal.

hah damnit I was pissed at this call, but now seeing the pics it was just the refs calling the wrong number really, Walter wasn't on the line.

I was just thinking they thought Brown was too far off the line, but usually they'll warn you once about that, so I was raging mad. But yea, only 6 on the line, good call. Shame on Walter, he had a rough night.

Can someone please explain to me how Duane Brown was in illegal formation on the first play?

The announcers even criticized the call by the refs.
This also negated a 15 yard run by foster to set the mood for the game.

That run only went for 12 yards. The next play Foster made it all up, gaining 15 yards on that run.

We've got a thread in the NFL section to talk about the rule.

football 101. Hell they get this right in Jr High. Perhaps those letter jackets took up too much mental room to get the formation right on the first play of the game.

hah damnit I was pissed at this call, but now seeing the pics it was just the refs calling the wrong number really, Walter wasn't on the line.

I was just thinking they thought Brown was too far off the line, but usually they'll warn you once about that, so I was raging mad. But yea, only 6 on the line, good call. Shame on Walter, he had a rough night.

Thats OK that fugged up plenty other calls, like not calling almost identical blocks in the back on a return for the Pats, not calling PI on the Pats on two plays, a BS PI on Manning, and no call for hitting a defenseless WR that bieng Jean.

Oh and Brady is a little B*tch, getting up wanting a flag for helmet to helmet when he ducked in to the hit. Suprised the Ref didn't throw the flag.

Back