Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then what is the point? If you get somebody worse, so be it. You can’t be afraid to make a change just because that might happen. Do it til you get it right.
To be honest, as a fan I don’t think the Texans have ever been in a worse position with their roster than they are now. O’Brien would have to be on a coaching level of Belichick to save the job of the GM (if ownership really cared about winning). He’s not even close to that level.

At least when the HC is fired this time the GM goes with him. As it should have been when Kubiak was fired.

Let me get this straight, the WCO will fix what's wrong with DW4?

You can better mask his deficiencies thru scheme with a WCO than you can a Coryell which is really what this scheme is based off of with all the vertical routes.

It's not going to make them go away but when you remove so many of the options and variables , its going to hide the weakness.
That with a strong running game and a heavy dose of play action & getting him outside the pocket within the scheme will keep defenses from playing him like they do now.

He just has to learn to take the gimmie throws and save hero ball for when its needed ....

To be honest, as a fan I don’t think the Texans have ever been in a worse position with their roster than they are now. O’Brien would have to be on a coaching level of Belichick to save the job of the GM (if ownership really cared about winning). He’s not even close to that level.

At least when the HC is fired this time the GM goes with him. As it should have been when Kubiak was fired.

If you ask me , it should have been the GM that was fired and Gary stayed .... It was the GM who refused to get him a competent QB and inked Schaub to an extension against Gary's better judgement ....

You can better mask his deficiencies thru scheme with a WCO than you can a Coryell which is really what this scheme is based off of with all the vertical routes.

It's not going to make them go away but when you remove so many of the options and variables , its going to hide the weakness.
That with a strong running game and a heavy dose of play action & getting him outside the pocket within the scheme will keep defenses from playing him like they do now.

He just has to learn to take the gimmie throws and save hero ball for when its needed ....
You can bring out his quality better with moving parts that move with him.

Play action passes with Schaub took forever to get there, and often short.
Throw back against the body, forget it.

Bootleg done right with Watson is double trouble because he is also a threat to run.

Think Foster left, Watson right.
Then Foster right, Watson left.

The D will be out gas before they know it.

Absolutely.

He’s trying to play the best he can while everything crumbles around him.

It’s almost like the D was given the play and all it’s contingencies beforehand.

Watson has decided to make it all happen himself.

Rivers McCown Tweet....

Bill O'Brien was asked about tweaking schematics of pass pro RE his intent to change run schematics: "I just think it's a couple different things that go in to it, it's not just the line. And until we fix it , I'll definitely be asked the question. And we just have to fix it."

Wait, what??! Helluva answer there OB.

Vikings
Jaguars
@ Titans
Packers

Seriously.....does a 1-6 start to the season finally get OB hs walking papers? Or, does an 0-5 start push the McNair's to pull the plug after losing to the Jags in Houston.

@ Jags
@ Browns

With the bye week coming after the Packers game, does OB make it to games 8 & 9 since they're on the road?

Cal will meet with his executive vice president of football operations and general manager, and collectively they will decide to not only keep O'Brien as HC, but extend his contract through 2035 in order to promote stability.

One part of me wants them to run the table ....

The other part of me wants OB gone so bad I'd prefer they go 0-16 and hope like hell that did the trick.

The scary thing is if they get the wrong guy in here (someone who runs a similar system) its not going to fix what's broke. The only way to fix this mess is a really good WCO guy.

I have zero confidence in the McNairs to hire competent football people to run this organization when O'Brien is eventually released (not if, but when).

Our only "hope" is the blind squirrel theory.

BlindSquirrel.jpg

If you ask me , it should have been the GM that was fired and Gary stayed .... It was the GM who refused to get him a competent QB and inked Schaub to an extension against Gary's better judgement ....

I've read a couple of books about the inside stories with the Houston Oilers. Good read, simply because Bud was entertaining in his narcissistic brazen attitude.

I'm hoping an inside look is eventually released about the Texans that sheds some light on their inner workings and perplexing decisions. It'll most likely be a much dryer read than Bud Adams, but it's stuff like this that I really want some insight about as a fan.

Cal will meet with his executive vice president of football operations and general manager, and collectively they will decide to not only keep O'Brien as HC, but extend his contract through 2035 in order to promote stability.

I have zero confidence in the McNairs to hire competent football people to run this organization when O'Brien is eventually released (not if, but when).

View attachment 6735

I've read a couple of books about the inside stories with the Houston Oilers. Good read, simply because Bud was entertaining in his narcissistic brazen attitude.

I'm hoping an inside look is eventually released about the Texans that sheds some light on their inner workings and perplexing decisions. It'll most likely be a much dryer read than Bud Adams, but it's stuff like this that I really want some insight about as a fan.

I highly doubt that happens , from what I understand there was some non-disclosure language in that divorce.

Absolutely.

It’s almost like the D was given the play and all it’s contingencies beforehand.

That's not quite factual - this system just isn't well suited for Watson's strengths / weaknesses.

Yeah , there's the occasional bad beat by the OL but its not that common of an occurrence.
They are decent , not terrible.

I recall a statement by Watson that was recently echoed by the announcers in one of the last two games (I can't remember which) Basically Watson stating that he expects to take a beating the way he plays QB - That being that he is always looking for big plays and often extends plays as a result - That makes the OL look much worse than it actually is.

Remember back when HWWNBM was under center and no matter what they did we always complained about the OL then when Schaub entered the picture that all changed because he would get the ball out on time / quickly. Same thing is happening here and a large chunk of that is on Watson's style of play.
Thing is , that's what makes him "special" - If you ask him not to do that he's .... just average as a "pure passer."

The ideal systems for him would be what the Ravens or Seahawks do .... They get their QB's on the edges of the defense which puts a lot of pressure on DB's.

But one other thing has to change and that's Watson has to take the easy yards when the defense gives them instead of always looking for big chunks - Loosen them up with what they concede.

That's not quite factual - this system just isn't well suited for Watson's strengths / weaknesses.

Yeah , there's the occasional bad beat by the OL but its not that common of an occurrence.

I recall a statement by Watson that was recently echoed by the announcers in one of the last two games (I can't remember which) Basically Watson stating that he expects to take a beating the way he plays QB - That being that he is always looking for big plays and often extends plays as a result - That makes the OL look much worse than it actually is.

Remember back when HWWNBM was under center and no matter what they did we always complained about the OL then when Schaub entered the picture that all changed because he would get the ball out on time / quickly. Same thing is happening here and a large chunk of that is on Watson's style of play.
Thing is , that's what makes him "special" - If you ask him not to do that he's .... just average as a "pure passer."

The ideal systems for him would be what the Ravens or Seahawks do .... They get their QB's on the edges of the defense which puts a lot of pressure on DB's.

But one other thing has to change and that's Watson has to take the easy yards when the defense gives them instead of always looking for big chunks - Loosen them up with what they concede.
Again, I disagree.
Watson doesn't hang on to the ball anymore than Rodgers, Big Ben, or Luck.
It's just that he can escape pressure more times than the others do.

And I, for one, do not blame the line in those instances.

I had already proved that other QBs like Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Wilson, also hold the ball up to 8 seconds the last I checked.
And I don't hold those linemen to it either.

This Oline has been bad for a long time now, even with Osweiler and Savage. It just deteroriate over time with the departure of the old warriors.

DB made the point about Brady vs interior pressure up the middle, early.
And that's what we're talking about here; not to mention the right side.
Tunsil helps, but he came at a huge cost.

There are so many fails in this system.
No running game , non-working screens, bootlegs, jet sweep. All that
will put pressure on the QB.
And there are not enough easy route combo like the rub routes, or something to put a playmaker in space to make it easy for the QB.
Oh wait, the Texans don't have a Hill, Watkins, Hilton the likes.
No more big possession receiver to go to.
It's just a total shamble.

BlindSquirrel.jpg

So you're telling me we've got a chance? Yeah!!!

Cal+McNair+oGCJaQV6WcFm.jpg

You said system.

beavis-and-butt-head-mtv.jpg

Absolutely.

Well, he's not doing a very good job of it then.

However you want to slice it, whether you look at it from the angle of the quarterback not doing his job well or not, O’Brien and Easterby haven’t made one single move that has made this team better positioned to win a super bowl in the near future. As you said, and I completely agree with you Watson is a bad fit for this offense and he was just signed for a mega deal with a no trade clause (I believe that’s the case). And being that this thread is about O’Brien, that’s the angle I’m going with.

I wrote going back to last year, I wasn’t opposed to the Texans trading Watson if the return was too good to pass up. Because this theory about Watson and O’Brien not being good for each other isn’t new. What is new is the franchise doesn’t have a true reliable #1receiver for the quarterback to look to when he gets into trouble.

I believe the one lone decent move this Texans front office made was Roby. The rest of the moves look like they were extremely lopsided against the team. I could use just 2 players to illustrate this - David Johnson and Mercilus. The Texans have a tremendous amount of cap space tied up in these two players and both of them, on most teams they’re bench players.

There’s absolutely no justification for O’Brien keeping his jobs. He’s a terrible negotiator and evaluator of talent. And I guess so is Jack Easterby. In addition to O’Brien being a horrible GM, he’s an equally bad HC. Only fools would continue to employ him to “run” any franchise.

However you want to slice it, whether you look at it from the angle of the quarterback not doing his job well or not, O’Brien and Easterby haven’t made one single move that has made this team better positioned to win a super bowl in the near future. As you said, and I completely agree with you Watson is a bad fit for this offense and he was just signed for a mega deal with a no trade clause (I believe that’s the case). And being that this thread is about O’Brien, that’s the angle I’m going with.

I wrote going back to last year, I wasn’t opposed to the Texans trading Watson if the return was too good to pass up. Because this theory about Watson and O’Brien not being good for each other isn’t new. What is new is the franchise doesn’t have a true reliable #1receiver for the quarterback to look to when he gets into trouble.

I believe the one lone decent move this Texans front office made was Roby. The rest of the moves look like they were extremely lopsided against the team. I could use just 2 players to illustrate this - David Johnson and Mercilus. The Texans have a tremendous amount of cap space tied up in these two players and both of them, on most teams they’re bench players.

There’s absolutely no justification for O’Brien keeping his jobs. He’s a terrible negotiator and evaluator of talent. And I guess so is Jack Easterby. In addition to O’Brien being a horrible GM, he’s an equally bad HC. Only fools would continue to employ him to “run” any franchise.
O'Brien is a bad fit for any NFL team. :corrosion:

Great post

Spelled out perfectly why the McNairs have failed so miserably. But those checks keep on cashing 51-7

Great post

Spelled out perfectly why the McNairs have failed so miserably. But those checks keep on cashing

Its appalling to me how often posters see your name and assume 1 exclusive agenda when you have just as often been negative about O'Brien.

You have been typecast.

Every movie needs a villan. I guess message boards do to.

Aaron Wilson was on 790 for his weekly visit yesterday and even the local media has turned on OB. He said this system is not working with this talent on the roster and its time to scrap the system and bring in a different offense. I wish this would happen but there is no good OC in the league that will come in and be saddled with the responsibility of fixing this offense or be gone in a year. If we want a new offense its time to fire BOB and restructure the entire football operations and head coach.

He said this system is not working with this talent on the roster and its time to scrap the system and bring in a different offense.
I haven't "studied" it, but there looks like enough difference that I don't think this is OB's system anymore.

I do wonder why there were screens (real screens) in the first two games, but not last week. But watching the routes on the handfull of plays we've been arguing about look a whole lot better than what we've seen in the past.

I haven't "studied" it, but there looks like enough difference that I don't think this is OB's system anymore.

I do wonder why there were screens (real screens) in the first two games, but not last week. But watching the routes on the handfull of plays we've been arguing about look a whole lot better than what we've seen in the past.

That was another thing he mentioned he said with Kelly calling plays its not a different system because Kelly has been with OB so long its still OB's system because they are joined at the hip.

How you liking Kelly?

So much better such that they've have been scoring less? :ahhaha:

O'Brien is a bad fit for any NFL team. :corrosion:
I actually think O'Brien would do well with the Titans as they are currently constructed. I'd be more than happy (ecstatic) to find out. Trade HC's. Because I believe Vrabel, a defensive minded head coach, could do better coaching the offense here than OB has. He would at least know to get out of the way.

Now would I wish such a horrible fate on the Titans? Yes. Yes I would. Even though I honestly feel that O'Brien's philosophy lines up with how the Titans play ball on offense, he would go there and insist on changing it completely just because of his arrogance. And he'd probably trade Henry and Tennessee's next years 1st round pick for Blake Bortles.

Aaron Wilson was on 790 for his weekly visit yesterday and even the local media has turned on OB. He said this system is not working with this talent on the roster and its time to scrap the system and bring in a different offense. I wish this would happen but there is no good OC in the league that will come in and be saddled with the responsibility of fixing this offense or be gone in a year. If we want a new offense its time to fire BOB and restructure the entire football operations and head coach.

With the talent on the offensive side of the ball a good OC will be able to get the best out of this group. The main problem is O’Brien routinely changing up the game plan at the last minute. If he would stick to what they practiced all week, we might be seeing a different result. If he would actually use the strengths of his skill players like he did in Watson’s rookie season, we might be seeing a totally different result.

In all reality.....OB would've been fired after his current 6 years 3 game resume if he were with any other organization. I'll preface that with getting the boot after blowing the lead in the KC playoff game, then getting blown out in the process. One HC made the necessary adjustments and the other HC just stood there and watched the slaughter while believing his game plan would fight back and win the game.

OB couldn't work with RS and RS couldn't work with OB. Very acidic relationship that affected the entire organization. RS allowed to step down.

OB got his guy in Gaine but something went wrong with this marriage made in heaven. I think OB figured he got a "yes man" who would execute his requests with no pushback. I believe Gaine had issues with OB's approach/evaluator of talent and may have challenged his choices one too many times. OB had him ran out of town regardless of his eye for talent.

OB finally has what he may have desired from the onset of his time with the Texans. Total control aka Bill Belichick and a trusty sidekick who can probably “Yes Man” with the best of them. The team has regressed even further under his totalitarian rule in Texans land. I may be wrong but it looks to me like players are beginning to quit on OB the "King" of Texans land.

At this point the only thing that presents itself as the model of dysfunctionality.....the McNair's. They absolutely fear the wrath of OB and seem to have a tremendous amount of fear in holding this "King" accountable for the teams current state of affairs. Until the McNair's finally step up and make a tough decision....their franchise could hit rock bottom with a tremendous thud that could take several seasons to recover from....and OB couldn't be the guy to try and fix this mess.

Message to McNair's: Fire OB at the "Bye Week". Hand the reins to Crennel to finish the season. Get busy finding someone that can initiate the process of fixing this train wreck in the quickest and most efficient way possible.

Last edited:
In all reality.....OB would've been fired after his current 6 years 3 game resume if he were with any other organization. I'll preface that with getting the boot after blowing the lead in the KC playoff game, then getting blown out in the process. One HC made the necessary adjustments and the other HC just stood there and watched the slaughter while believing his game plan would fight back and win the game.

OB couldn't wrk with RS and RS couldn't work with OB. Very acidic relationship that affected the entire organization. RS allowed to step down.

OB got his guy in Gaine but something went wrong with this marriage made in heaven. I think OB figured he got a "yes man" who would execute his requests with no pushback. I believe Gaine had issues with OB's approach and may have challenged his choices one too many times. OB had him ran out of time regardless of his ye for talent.

OB finally has what he may have desired from the onset of his time with the Texans. Total control aka Bill Belichick. The team has regressed even further under his totalitarian rule in Texans land. I may be wrong but it looks to me like players are beginning to quit on OB the "King" of Texans land.

At this point the only thing that presents itself as the model of dysfunctionality.....the McNair's. They absolutely fear the wrath of OB and seem to have a tremendous amount of fear in holding this "King" accountable for the teams current state of affairs. Until the McNair's finally step up and make a tough decision....their franchise could hit rock bottom with a tremendous thud that could take several seasons to recover from....and OB couldn't be the guy to try and fix this mess.

Message to McNair's: Fire OB at the "Bye Week". Hand the reins to Crennel to finish the season. Get busy finding someone that can in the initiate the process of fixing this train wreck in the quickest and most efficient way possible.

I'm convinced BOB owns a photo album full of pics of Cal at the Juarez Donkey Show. That has to be the only explanation why he has let BOB run this franchise into the ground.

That was another thing he mentioned he said with Kelly calling plays its not a different system because Kelly has been with OB so long its still OB's system because they are joined at the hip.
That may be the case, but if O’Brien has surrendered the offense to Kelly, then it’s different. Just like Shanahan was different from Walsh, Kubiak different from Shanajan, baby Shany different from Kubiak/Daddy Shany.

How you liking Kelly?

so far, eh.... looks like he’s got all the tools to have a truly special offense. Let’s see if he can bring it all together.

So much better such that they've have been scoring less? :ahhaha:

Work in progress. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it is what it is. O’Briens team always stumble out of the gate.

I actually think O'Brien would do well with the Titans as they are currently constructed. I'd be more than happy (ecstatic) to find out. Trade HC's. Because I believe Vrabel, a defensive minded head coach, could do better coaching the offense here than OB has. He would at least know to get out of the way.

Now would I wish such a horrible fate on the Titans? Yes. Yes I would. Even though I honestly feel that O'Brien's philosophy lines up with how the Titans play ball on offense, he would go there and insist on changing it completely just because of his arrogance. And he'd probably trade Henry and Tennessee's next years 1st round pick for Blake Bortles.
Too bad, it's a NO go.

Vrabel ditched OB's system first thing when he got to Nashville and put in a WCO.

:brando:

Work in progress. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it is what it is. O’Briens team always stumble out of the gate.

Stumbling out of the gate is his specialty, a new wrinkle every time out.

Remember the first play of the game?

115:00110HTX 25Deshaun Watson pass incomplete short right intended for David Johnson

The LDE came in unblocked. Watson had to dump off the ball and got hit right away.

Who says Watson doesn't take the check down? :hides:

Then on third and 5, his "innovative" play is a diamond/bunch formation on the left that developed so slow none of the three receivers got any separation.
You call that a good-looking play?
I know I don't.

Last edited:

OB couldn't work with RS and RS couldn't work with OB. Very acidic relationship that affected the entire organization. RS allowed to step down.

OB got his guy in Gaine but something went wrong with this marriage made in heaven. I think OB figured he got a "yes man" who would execute his requests with no pushback. I believe Gaine had issues with OB's approach/evaluator of talent and may have challenged his choices one too many times. OB had him ran out of town regardless of his eye for talent.

OB finally has what he may have desired from the onset of his time with the Texans. Total control aka Bill Belichick and a trusty sidekick who can probably “Yes Man” with the best of them. The team has regressed even further under his totalitarian rule in Texans land. I may be wrong but it looks to me like players are beginning to quit on OB the "King" of Texans land.

Message to McNair's: Fire OB at the "Bye Week". Hand the reins to Crennel to finish the season. Get busy finding someone that can initiate the process of fixing this train wreck in the quickest and most efficient way possible.
If the McNairs are in absolute fear of O'Brien wrath as you say Why in the world would they risk it by firing him at the bye?
It is my opinion that Janice McNair is solidly and 100% in control Of this business venture. Few of us on this board Had any expectation of the Texans winning the first two games and then after those losses even fewer expected a win against Pittsburgh. I doubt she is anywhere near upset as most of us are.

Really those things we have seen in the plays we have dissected are the norm , not a rarity and they are a direct issue with Watson's style of QB or lack of vision , one the other or a combination of the two.
I've noticed them going back to year one but at that time he was making enough big plays that they overcame these issues , as defenses have adjusted (and the talent reduced) , those big plays have dried up.
This is what I expected when we were discussing him pre draft when I stated "I would not draft Watson."
At Clemson he was only asked to make one or two reads on one half of the field and usually had the best athletes on the on his side ... Those same things are what holds him back today and in the NFL the talent is fairly equal , windows shorter and smaller , defenses much more complex.

Unless they get a coaching staff in here that can simplify the reads and reduce the options for him while building the offense around his athleticism , what I think we get for the next 2-3 years is more of the same , a highlight reel play here and there but inconsistency for the most part.

Not a popular opinion .... but how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back