Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Fire Lovie Smith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t do it too soon. I don’t want some coach to get lucky with a few wins and suddenly they get the full time gig.

but at the end of the year wipe this organization clean.

I really think if Lovie is allowed to coach and he has both an OC and DC. We would be better off. Lovie knows this game but his being the HC and DC (by and large) isn't working. Find a DC like Gary was forced to do with Wade. And let Lovie only manage the 2 coordinators, not control them. Pep is not showing any good potential as a OC. So, replace him and find a OC who has a good reputation and system. Then a DC who may even run a cover 2, but is also known to mix it up with 3-4, 4-3, Zone and Man (to name a few) styles. On a podcast early in the season someone mentioned that many teams have been going 5 man fronts 3 lineman and 2 LBs at the line on run downs and then both man and zone 5 DBs on sure passing downs. And it works. I think it was Miami and one other team we have played that was doing it and shut both the run game and most of our pass game down.

If we move from Lovie, then it becomes who would want to coach here? I heard someone say Sean Payton. And he did fully rebuild the Saints. However, would he really want to do that again now at this stage of his career? Would he even consider it, I doubt it.

I really think if Lovie is allowed to coach and he has both an OC and DC. We would be better off. Lovie knows this game but his being the HC and DC (by and large) isn't working. Find a DC like Gary was forced to do with Wade. And let Lovie only manage the 2 coordinators, not control them. Pep is not showing any good potential as a OC. So, replace him and find a OC who has a good reputation and system. Then a DC who may even run a cover 2, but is also known to mix it up with 3-4, 4-3, Zone and Man (to name a few) styles. On a podcast early in the season someone mentioned that many teams have been going 5 man fronts 3 lineman and 2 LBs at the line on run downs and then both man and zone 5 DBs on sure passing downs. And it works. I think it was Miami and one other team we have played that was doing it and shut both the run game and most of our pass game down.

If we move from Lovie, then it becomes who would want to coach here? I heard someone say Sean Payton. And he did fully rebuild the Saints. However, would he really want to do that again now at this stage of his career? Would he even consider it, I doubt it.
NO! Lovie as HC only would be just as disastrous as they have now no matter who the coordinators. His conservative nature would ruin any progressive OC and he would not allow a competent DC to vary from his scheme much. He has to go at the end of the year.

The "Who would not want to coach here" list would start with Sean Payton.

You can likely list almost every "known name" on that list. Even Meco, who played here, would probably turn down an offer. Any top candidates are going to want a lot. Money to start and then likely near full control. After all, it is a very bad disaster right now. Without having full say...what can any coach do

I'm thinking

Lombardi
Dorsey
Kalfka
Gannon
Philly OC

And the one under the radar guy I would really like to be the HC other than Kalfka.

Wes Phillips.

I'm thinking

Lombardi
Dorsey
Kalfka
Gannon
Philly OC

And the one under the radar guy I would really like to be the HC other than Kalfka.

Wes Phillips.

Good list, and one that I'm sure well run NFL teams have, as well.

The Texans, on the other hand, will never look at any of those candidates. They have other metrics they use to hire, most of them non-related to football.

McCown is the twinkle in their eye. He doesn't even sound like a football coach. Big, big win for the McNairs.

Who cares? Would we be any worse today - no wins? McCown hired as an OC wouldn't be too big of a leap. He has a lot of experience in various NFL offenses. HC? Yeh, that's a really big leap.
How's that different from where they are now?
Not to put words in his mouth but I think that was his point... hence the rolled eyes

It's unfortunate that the league spreads around the TV money evenly amongst teams. If it was based on record or something like that, ol Cal may be forced to realize that he needs to step back and get competent people in there to get this team competitive year in and year out. As long as he is making money this team will never get a top tier coach. The closet one they ever had was Kubiak and he was middle of the pack imo.
Culley wasn't it, Lovie damn sure aint it, and I'm afraid the next one will be, wash, rinse, repeat.

The Texans, on the other hand, will never look at any of those candidates. They have other metrics they use to hire, most of them non-related to football.

McCown is the twinkle in their eye. He doesn't even sound like a football coach. Big, big win for the McNairs.
In a way I hope McCown gets the job. If he does, know that Janice hired him.

Ohhhh to have the last name Saturday.....

My wife would hate that she would have to give birth 7 times.

Name my kids, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , Thursday, Friday, George, and Sunday.

No matter who the Texans hired we were bound to be the laughing stock no matter who you bring in. The ONLY difference is the length of time we would have remained the court jester.

To be honest, I have the same level of faith in the Texans ability to use the #1 overall pick as I do for them to hire the right coaches.

I want them to keep looking, but Lovie goes... somehow they will end up with someone LovieCulleyOBrienKubiak-y.

The highest bar for this team seems to be competent mediocrity. I unfortunately don't believe we rise above this in my life time, but I DO hope I am very wrong and I hope the Texans get it right...soon.

Ohhhh to have the last name Saturday.....

My wife would hate that she would have to give birth 7 times.

Name my kids, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday , Thursday, Friday, George, and Sunday.

No matter who the Texans hired we were bound to be the laughing stock no matter who you bring in. The ONLY difference is the length of time we would have remained the court jester.

To be honest, I have the same level of faith in the Texans ability to use the #1 overall pick as I do for them to hire the right coaches.

I want them to keep looking, but Lovie goes... somehow they will end up with someone LovieCulleyOBrienKubiak-y.

The highest bar for this team seems to be competent mediocrity. I unfortunately don't believe we rise above this in my life time, but I DO hope I am very wrong and I hope the Texans get it right...soon.
I actually feel that OBrien and Kubiak belong on that competent mediocrity level (OBrien I never enjoyed his football but before the power games got away from the owner the results were right there).

Culley was a clear stop-gap scapegoat and Lovie was a bad hire out of desperation. Both well out of their depth and on a different level. I hate giving that level of disrespect to Lovie because he seems a thoroughly nice chap and been very successful in the past but the game has moved on. Culley cashed a payday before retirement and fair play to him for that.

My worry is what quality of candidate does an NFL team attract for its 4th HC in 4 years? It’s not easy to move beyond where we are now.

I believe Kubiak was competent mediocre.

IF OBrien were at the same level as Kubiak it wouldn't have become the dumpster fire it did under OB.

I was not an overall fan of Kubiak (I was thankful he built a competent mediocre team at first, but wanted more)

OB, Culley and Lovie... made me miss Kubiak.

At the end of the day I want more than any of those coaches can deliver but of that group of coaches... if thats the only pool I can choose from.... Kubiak. OB was an incompetent boob that managed to fail his way to the almost top.

OB's contract will be paid up this year. Culley's $17M will go through '24 and Smith's $25M will go through '26. Caserio's contract runs through '26 and averages $6M per year. Can't find anything on Easterby.

Found a comment that Easterby was influential in Smith's hiring.

It is going to take a blind luck hire that no one was expecting to amount to anything.

It is going to take a blind luck hire that no one was expecting to amount to anything.

No disrespect, but can you please change your avatar.. I click on these threads to read and this ****head keeps popping up. That's not just a insult towards him. He actually has a dick head. I thought I was done seeing his annoying face after we fired him
:headhurts: Why are you putting me through this, I didn't do anything to you?

No disrespect, but can you please change your avatar.. I click on these threads to read and this ****head keeps popping up. That's not just a insult towards him. He actually has a dick head. I thought I was done seeing his annoying face after we fired him
:headhurts: Why are you putting me through this, I didn't do anything to you?
Gotta admit.

Looks a little like Matt Schaub if he were pleasantly surprised at the proctologist recieving the "Watson Special".

0.jpg

IF OBrien were at the same level as Kubiak it wouldn't have become the dumpster fire it did under OB.

I was not an overall fan of Kubiak (I was thankful he built a competent mediocre team at first, but wanted more)

At the end of the day I want more than any of those coaches can deliver but of that group of coaches... if thats the only pool I can choose from.... Kubiak. OB was an incompetent boob that managed to fail his way to the almost top.
O’Brien’s problem was his tenure as a GM.

Just hire me as coach.

Worst case scenario I get us one less tie and one less win.

If thats the case, me the Texans fan will scream BOOOO in the mirror at me the HC and for the good of the team step down after a season.

:kitten:

Not to put words in his mouth but I think that was his point... hence the rolled eyes

It surprised me that some didn't get the sarcasm. Guess some question my sanity. :D

But the fact still remains. Someone with 0 coaching experience couldn't do much worse.

Smith really does look completely clueless. Deer in the headlights look.

I watched very little of todays game. Helped boss and daughter put up outside Christmas decorations.

Photo posted upstream shows a half empty stadium. Does this bother ownership at all?

Vendors have to be feeling the pinch. Don't they?

:coffee:

Gary Kubiak.pngThat mediocrity won a Super Bowl and the roster he left behind won division titles until OB was able to dismantle it. I like his scheme on offense. IMO his biggest weakness was always going turtle when he had a lead during his time in Houston. Schaub, post lis franc, did him in.

Reactions: JB
View attachment 11193That mediocrity won a Super Bowl and the roster he left behind won division titles until OB was able to dismantle it. I like his scheme on offense. IMO his biggest weakness was always going turtle when he had a lead during his time in Houston. Schaub, post lis franc, did him in.
Yep, Kubiak won a SB after he got out of making personnel decisions.

Totally agree with the last sentence.

Now that the Colts have hired Saturday as their HC I'm getting nervous again that Cal may instruct Casserio to go back after McCowan as our next HC.

View attachment 11193That mediocrity won a Super Bowl and the roster he left behind won division titles until OB was able to dismantle it. I like his scheme on offense. IMO his biggest weakness was always going turtle when he had a lead during his time in Houston. Schaub, post lis franc, did him in.
Well a HC that "always goes turtle" is destined for mediocrity if he doesn't have the balls to play for the win every time and keep pushing for the win until the game is over. Running up the score is one thing, allowing your opponent to get back in the game on a consitant basis, is another.

Payton Manning was also on his team (didn't do a whole lot in that SB but lets not pretend that he didn't help them get there at all because even when he doesn't perform at his best, you still have his mind set on the same goal as you), a different owner as well as some staff so it wasn't ALL Kubiak.

Does he have a SB win under him. Yes.

Would he have seen that remaining here? Not likely.

I did say he was competently mediocre and is without a doubt the best HC we've had, but I will not put him on a pedestal as greater than he was.

I also would be thrilled to have him back for a time if all we are goijg to do is hire the OBs,Culleys and Lovies out there.

Last edited:
Photo posted upstream shows a half empty stadium. Does this bother ownership at all?
Good question. You would think so. But does it bother them enough to make the real change that would make a difference? Or is it just a toy that spews out a fortune no matter who is playing with it?

Lovie Smith "We've got to do better as coaches."

You think? You've been saying that all season. When does it happen? It's past time to fish or cut bait. Pep should be fired today, and Lovie shouldn't be far behind.

Just hire me as coach.

Worst case scenario I get us one less tie and one less win.

If thats the case, me the Texans fan will scream BOOOO in the mirror at me the HC and for the good of the team step down after a season.

:kitten:
I don't care how many games you would win but who would you select the number one pick? 😉

I don't care how many games you would win but who would you select the number one pick? 😉
Well, in all honesty. I don't really follow draft prospects (because even if I nail the picks 100% it would just add to the frustration that we didn'tpick them up since Im not in a position to choose). So IF my job suddenly became about football drafting I would have a lot of homework to do. It would put my constant lack of sleep to good use.😁

According to some here that call wouldn't be mine to make even if they made me HC, but if they signed the check I'd work with what I had.

I would also take fans wants into consideration (consideration, not the biggest factor in decision making cause some fans are just idiots.)

Ultimately I would want to build the team around the QB position not that I would have anyone in mind. I just dont get the desire to get "your guy" when you cant protect him or give him any legitimate targets.

I'm of the belief if you build a solid foundation you dont need an elite QB to win (helps absolutely) you just need capable.

Last edited:
That's a question for the Head Coach. I sure don't think that evaluation should come from an owner.
Not owner, GM. And this question was not specific to the Texans. I think it not unreasonable that McCowen be in the OC discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back