Who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree
Sexual Harassment Panda!
Who explains sexual harassment to you and me
Sexual Harassment Panda!
Don't say that don't touch there
Don't be nasty says the silly bear
He's come to tell you what's right and wrong
Sexual Harassment Panda!

I totally sympathize and agree with Clinton Portis on this situation. This woman is a reporter in name only, what she's really doing is selling T & A,
not sports journalism. Putting women in NFL locker rooms is about as smart as putting them in submarines.

From PFT

NFL plans league-wide training after "unprofessional conduct" by JetsPosted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2010 6:22 PM ET
The NFL announced today that the league will implement a training program for all 32 teams on proper conduct in the workplace in response to the controversy over the Jets' actions toward a female reporter's presence at practice.

"In reviewing the incident of Saturday, September 11 involving TV Azteca reporter Ines Sainz during the Jets' practice and open locker-room time for the media, the NFL interviewed 17 individuals that were present, including Ms. Sainz," the league said in its announcement. "Commissioner Goodell determined that while there was unprofessional conduct, [Jets owner] Woody Johnson and his staff acted promptly to correct the situation, including a personal apology to Ms. Sainz and arranging a professional education session for the Jets on workplace conduct."

It's no surprise that the league chose Friday evening to make this announcement. As every public relations professional knows, Friday evening is the best time to make an announcement when you know you need to make an announcement but wish the subject you were making the announcement about would just disappear.

But as to the substance of the announcement, the league never specified which individuals were responsible for the "unprofessional conduct." And the announcement said "that the atmosphere was not hostile, that no obscene or lewd comments or gestures were made and that nobody had physical contact with Sainz."

Johnson said in a separate statement that he supports the NFL's actions.

"We've learned from what happened last Saturday, and have reaffirmed our commitment to treat all members of the media with professionalism and respect," Johnson said. "The commissioner has developed a constructive approach that emphasizes education and awareness. I believe what emerges will improve the working relationship between all media and the NFL."

And with that, both Goodell and Johnson will hope this issue quietly goes away.

All this, and all they had to do is require all players to shower with a metal jock strap and a ball in their mouths. Laptops would be supplied to those who were being interviewed.

Sainz doesn't know harrassment VIDEO

Sainz doesn't know harrassment VIDEO

did she ever claim harassment?

Unless I'm missing something, all indications suggest that she didn't.

She didn't even file the report - it was another male reporter.

And when asked, she flatly said - on DeporTV - that she never felt attacked. And a fellow reporter from ESPN Deportes spoke with her - both were covering the Jets - and he said she was shocked at how much attention this was getting considering that she didn't feel threatened.

did she ever claim harassment?

Unless I'm missing something, all indications suggest that she didn't.

She didn't even file the report - it was another male reporter.

And when asked, she flatly said - on DeporTV - that she never felt attacked. And a fellow reporter from ESPN Deportes spoke with her - both were covering the Jets - and he said she was shocked at how much attention this was getting considering that she didn't feel threatened.

Sainz INTERVIEW

The thing I found most interesting is that she essentially said that, even though she had lots of international experience in reporting/interviewing, she felt uncomfortable being in "that" situation, since outside the US it was unusual to make it into a locker room.

Come to think of it, how many male reporters have you seen in female sports locker rooms????

I listened to the interview you linked - I didn't hear her say that she felt harassed. Like I said, I must be missing something. She said that another reporter came up to her and said that she should be bothered by it and apologized for it - and her reply was that she wasn't paying any attention to it - she was just trying to do her job.

She also said that she wasn't surprised that her 'style' evoked some of those comments/responses and she's not going to change it.

It seemed she felt uncomfortable and perhaps surprised at some aspects.

But not threatened. Not attacked. Not harassed. At least not from what I could tell. Not enough to file a report or threaten a lawsuit or anything that I'm aware of.

As for women in the locker room, during the NCAA tournament both men and women have the same rules of access in the locker room.

There were male reporters in the Stanford women's locker room following their loss to UConn.

And the WNBA has the NBA's policy regarding locker room interviews. Which means males allowed in the female locker rooms.

I listened to the interview you linked - I didn't hear her say that she felt harassed. Like I said, I must be missing something. She said that another reporter came up to her and said that she should be bothered by it and apologized for it - and her reply was that she wasn't paying any attention to it - she was just trying to do her job.

She also said that she wasn't surprised that her 'style' evoked some of those comments/responses and she's not going to change it.

It seemed she felt uncomfortable and perhaps surprised at some aspects.

But not threatened. Not attacked. Not harassed. At least not from what I could tell. Not enough to file a report or threaten a lawsuit or anything that I'm aware of.

As for women in the locker room, during the NCAA tournament both men and women have the same rules of access in the locker room.

There were male reporters in the Stanford women's locker room following their loss to UConn.

And the WNBA has the NBA's policy regarding locker room interviews. Which means males allowed in the female locker rooms.

Spin it as you will, but common sense rather than “political correctness” should factor in all of this somewhere. I have known quite a few male sports reporters over the years. None have ever been sent to cover WNBA locker room interviews. Despite, any “open door policy,” female reporters have routinely been assigned to this task.

Furthermore, in order to afford the female players additional privacy,
the typical female sports locker room is configured entirely differently than men’s locker rooms.

They demonstrate much greater subdivision. There are typically individually curtained private showers, and separate private changing areas, separate locker area, and a separate bathroom with private stalls within. This is in stark contrast to the men’s mostly “open air” locker room arrangements. Women don’t feel like they’re essentially changing in a big room where they need to fear that everyone may be gawking at them, especially if they have a “wardrobe malfunction.”

At this point I am choosing to bow out of this entire controversy, and to leave it to those smarter than me to beat their heads against the wall. I have a problem dealing with self-inflicted (on the part of the NFL policy AND media decisions) contrived issues that defy common sense.

Spin it as you will, but common sense rather than “political correctness” should factor in all of this somewhere.

I'm not trying to spin anything. At least, I don't think I am - how do you think I am trying to spin this differently from what your impression is?

I've said this got out of hand.

I said people made too much out of this.

I said that people are being melodramatic.

I said that people are being too harsh on Portis for making the comments he did.

I think the NFL is overreacting a bit with whatever league wide counseling

I'm saying it's been made a bigger issue than it ever should have and I didn't think it was a big deal at all - not worth sensationalizing, by reporters or pundits or forum goers.

My only point has been that the personal attacks and blame being put on Ines Sainz seems misdirected - she didn't report it, someone else did. She didn't call it harassment, someone else did.

I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to say :shrug:

My point was that the anger directed to Ines, specifically, is off target.

I liken it to wearing a suit made of fresh meat and jumping into a shark tank.

Sharks gonna' do they thang.

Men, when they see a lady like her come strolling through the place in spray-painted on jeans (Hell, man, look at the comments in this thread!) are going to think things and say things. It's nature. It's how men are wired: Visually. Men are visually wired, and women are emotionally wired.

I direct my anger toward her, and rightly so, because she is playing to the BASE instincts of man. Oh, but yet she's a little unclear how anything could have happened at all. Yeah, right.

Of course, with the tools she has...I don't think she could wear ANYTHING that would keep that beehind from showing. So just her presence alone, and then her wardrobe that she wears, is laughable when she begins to play the role of the woman who doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

I mean, you're probably right. She was just doing her job, and things began randomly happening out there. How could anyone have foreseen any of this?

Basically, this is the NFL trying to avoid being hammered by women's groups, sured by women's groups, and they'll take out one of their own players and make him look like he's a creeper if it means the NFL can avoid litigation or any more public issues.

I'm not saying she's asking for it. I don't equate this to "Well, when you dress like THAT you're just asking to get raped." But I do feel that she has a fairly large disregard for professional appearance as it relates to how she dresses and for what function(s) she's dressing for. Want to be a Hooters girl? Go work for Hooters. Want to be a swimsuit model, go for it. Want to be a "reporter?" Then tone down the bun huggers et al.

I liken it to wearing a suit made of fresh meat and jumping into a shark tank.

Sharks gonna' do they thang.

Men, when they see a lady like her come strolling through the place in spray-painted on jeans (Hell, man, look at the comments in this thread!) are going to think things and say things. It's nature. It's how men are wired: Visually. Men are visually wired, and women are emotionally wired.

I direct my anger toward her, and rightly so, because she is playing to the BASE instincts of man. Oh, but yet she's a little unclear how anything could have happened at all. Yeah, right.

Of course, with the tools she has...I don't think she could wear ANYTHING that would keep that beehind from showing. So just her presence alone, and then her wardrobe that she wears, is laughable when she begins to play the role of the woman who doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

I mean, you're probably right. She was just doing her job, and things began randomly happening out there. How could anyone have foreseen any of this?

Basically, this is the NFL trying to avoid being hammered by women's groups, sured by women's groups, and they'll take out one of their own players and make him look like he's a creeper if it means the NFL can avoid litigation or any more public issues.

I'm not saying she's asking for it. I don't equate this to "Well, when you dress like THAT you're just asking to get raped." But I do feel that she has a fairly large disregard for professional appearance as it relates to how she dresses and for what function(s) she's dressing for. Want to be a Hooters girl? Go work for Hooters. Want to be a swimsuit model, go for it. Want to be a "reporter?" Then tone down the bun huggers et al.

The way I read this story (and someone tell me if I have this wrong), this woman makes her money by doing fluff sports pieces and being sexy while she does it. She's not a "real" journalist. She goes to sports events and does titillating TV pieces which aren't that unusual from what I've seen of Mexican TV. She's done sexy pieces like this with NFL players before.

She goes to the Jets to do a piece on Sanchez and during the practice, the players are doing silly things to get closer to her and are flirty with her and she flirts back. She uses her press credentials and goes into locker room... and then plays up the "sexy" by talking about how she's trying to be all demure and avert her eyes because she's "uncomfortable". I don't think she REALLY felt uncomfortable. I think it was part of the act and she's just playing to her audience. "I'm in the locker room with all these sweaty guys and they're so sexy..." It's just part of her game.

But then, some OTHER journalist reads her tweets and saw the guys flirting with her and that OTHER journalist is the one who starts crying about harassment. I haven't seen any interview yet that made me feel like she felt she was being harassed.

So, I'm totally not upset at her. She's just being sexy and doing her thing.

I'm pissed off at the OTHER journalist who got all PC and started crying foul. OK. I'm not really pissed off because I don't care enough about this to be pissed off, but I think it's wrong to blame the woman for this. I blame the person who cried harassment because they're the ones that are turning this into a story. If the woman didn't feel harassed and upset, then there's no harassment and this is a total non-issue.

This has "sex tape release" written all over it. You know, when the person in the sex tape knew nothing about it until it is about to be released. I didn't have a clue who this chick was until a "scandal" popped up. I'm telling you her freaking public relations person put this crap out.

Can we check the stats?

Goggle searches before said "scandal" - 50/day
Goggle searches after said "scandal" - 50000000000000000000000000/day

I'm sure her friend requests on FB went through the roof too. I know this because I'm about to add her. :heart: LOL

I'm sure her friend requests on FB went through the roof too. I know this because I'm about to add her. :heart: LOL

I just checked FB and if her requests went through the roof as I stated above she wasn't that popular to begin with. I think my kids have more "friends".

So, I'm totally not upset at her. She's just being sexy and doing her thing.

I'm pissed off at the OTHER journalist who got all PC and started crying foul. OK. I'm not really pissed off because I don't care enough about this to be pissed off, but I think it's wrong to blame the woman for this. I blame the person who cried harassment because they're the ones that are turning this into a story. If the woman didn't feel harassed and upset, then there's no harassment and this is a total non-issue.

I see her as the bad chili I ate the other day at the local diner.

The reporter who whistleblew is the heartburn.

Do I get pissed off at the heartburn, or the cause of the heartburn?

Without the chili, there would be no heartburn. The heartburn was an after-effect of the chili. Nobody needs to be mad at the after-effect.

Don't buy the chili. And it would be better if the diner would take the chili off the menu to begin with. Don't even give me the option to buy it, because it just destroys my innards.

This lady and her PR person, and maybe even the whistleblower, were all in on this. This isn't a coincidence, IMO.

She needs to keep her schtick in the country where that stuff is not only OK, but is encouraged.

I always thought hot chicks were encouraged in this country too...the airhead weather girl...must have my countries mixed up.

I always thought hot chicks were encouraged in this country too...the airhead weather girl...must have my countries mixed up.

Yeah, Latino TV is where this sort of thing is OK.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the NFL does not have a dress code or code of conduct for reporters and/or other outside personnel who enter an NFL facility.

Organizations need to take notice of this incident and come up with one if they don't already have one in place. If you want a press pass, to get access to my organization's employees, inside my organization, or at my organization's event(s), you must sign an agreement that you will abide by the conduct policy and agree that you can be hauled out of my facility or off my premises if we feel you are in violation.

There's no sense in letting a bimbo (male or female) waltz in and cause the sort of fallout that is happening in the league right now. The NFL has gone an extra step due to this, and much like our own government does, is now creating legislation to train PLAYERS and FRANCHISES how to properly handle a bimbo in inappropriate/unprofessional clothing.

A team's cheerleaders dress scantily, yet they are relegated to being eye candy. A "reporter" who is also dressed questionably is not eye candy. She's to be respected as a journalist. Don't you just love irrational justification and rationalization (throw in semantics, as well, since we're calling this lady a "reporter"). It's so bizarre. This is the world we live in.

I've got no problem with some female reporter dressing sexy and going to interview some guys and flirting with them. Especially if she's an entertainer and not some serious journalist. And to me, this woman is just an entertainer doing her schtick.

I've got a problem with the person who cried harassment because they got uncomfortable when the guys started flirting with this woman.

Back